Follow

The Doctor

Character » The Doctor appears in 2191 issues.

A super-intelligent alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, the Doctor travels throughout time and space, adventuring and righting wrongs with his/her companions.

Doctor Who #1, New Ongoing Series Reviewed

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

In our continued effort to review comics from publishers other than the "big two," I thought I'd analyze the new ongoing Doctor Who comic from IDW Publishing.  Like many, I've been a Doctor Who fan since I was a wee lad.  It's great having an ongoing comic.  Question is, how does it stand up to the series?  Is it worthy to be called "Doctor Who"?

Sorry about the eating.  It was late in the day and I hadn't had lunch and was just trying to optimize my time.  I want to hear from others that have read this.  I want to hear from the other Doctor Who fans.  Do you approve of this comic?  Does it look and feel like a Doctor Who episode?  If you haven't read it, does it look appealing to you?  Do you mind the stories that take place in the "past"?
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Citizen 14

Dr. Who is great. It is weird that he is dropping names. ugh. I couldn't stand Donna. and the art is odd.
    I love Dr. Who but I'm not gonna get this. Great Review G-Man and the bg music is really cool.

TheFlash29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheFlash29

I love dr.who and i liked Donna as she was funny

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

Don't lose your noodles!! :)

That's a fair rating, especially considering you're not crazy about 'the past' episodes.  I like the way that it tied in to the end of series 4 with how Donna wanted to visit Charlie Chaplin.  I miss Donna, but I hear she'll be back for the last of the specials with all the NuWho Companions :)

But I gotta disagree on the Pop Culture references.  The Doctor has dropped a lot of references since the relaunch.  However, he seems to be careful around who he mentions things and when he says them so not to cause any repercussions.  So it is more subtle, as opposed to the blatant way Marty McFly was called Calvin Klein and Clint Eastward in Back to the Future (I & III).
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jefprice

Does anyone else just not care for Dr Who?

the guv'nor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By the guv'nor

i dont,never been a big fan at all,even though i am from the uk.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Media_Master

Haven't seen an episode before, early Hollywood setting sounds ok.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

He Does drop names in the show, When he first meets Captain Jack - Jack thinks his name is Mr Spock and so on

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.