The Best American Comics showcases the work of both established and up-and-coming contributors. Editor Alison Bechdel, creator of the cult comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For and author of Fun Home, has culled the best stories from graphic novels, pamplet comics, newspapers, magazines, mini-comics, and webcomics to create this cutting-edge collection. With entries from Joe Sacco, Jeff Smith, and Dash Shaw, this edtion delivers 'a thrilling and varied journey from start to finish' (Publishers Weekly).
Collecting the best examples of independent comic book authors and artists from September 2009 to August 2010. Edited by Alison Bechdel, Jessica Abel, and Matt Madden.
- Gabrielle Bell's Manifestation from gabriellebell.com
- Kevin Mutch's Blue Note from Fantastic Life.
- Gabby Schulz's (AKA Ken Dahl) New Year's Eve,2004 from Monsters.
- John Pham's St. Ambrose from Sublife.
- Michael Deforge's Queen from arthurmag.com.
- Angie Wang's Flower Mecha from MySpace Darkhorse Presents.
- Robert Sergel's Up Up Down Down from Eschew.
- Joe Sacco's Nov. 3,1956 (Parts One and Two, plus Memory and the Essential Truth) from Footnotes in Gaza.
- Dash Shaw's BodyWorld (Chapter Three)
- Joey Alison Sayers' Pet Cat from Papercutter.
- David Lasky and Mairead Case's Soixante Neuf.
- Sabrina Jones' Little House in the Big City from World War 3 Illustrated.
- Chris Ware's Jordan W. Lint to the Age 65 from Virginia Quarterly Review.
- Jillian Tamaki's Domestic Men of Mystery from New York Times.
- Jaime Hernandez's Browtown (Excerpt) from Love and Rockets: New Stories.
- Julia Gfrörer's Fear of Fire (Excerpt) from Flesh and Bone.
- Dave Lapp's People Around Here from Taddle Creek.
- Kate Beaton's Great Gatsby from Hark! A Vagrant.
- Noah Van Sciver's Abbey's Road from Blammo.
- Peter and Maria Hoey's Anatomy of a Pratfall from Coin-Op.
- Jeff Smith's the Mad Scientist (Excerpt) from RASL.
- Paul Pope's 1977 from THB: Comics from Mars.
- Brendan Leach's The Pterodactyl Hunters (in the Gilded City) (Excerpt)
- Danica Novgorodoff, Benjamin Percy, and James Ponsoldt's Winder (Excerpt) from Refresh, Refresh.
- Kevin Huizenga's Glenn Ganges in "Mind and Body" (Excerpt) from Ganges.
- Eric Orner's Weekends Abroad from Three.
- David Lasky's The Ultimate Graphic Novel (in Six Panels) from The Stranger.