Follow

The Authority

Team » The Authority appears in 275 issues.

Originally, The Authority is a Wildstorm universe super team founded by Jenny Sparks. The team was primarily comprised of former Stormwatch members and the Changers sucessors. In the DCU, the Authority is a team recruited by Superman to take on Warworld and the tyrant Mongul.

World's End

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#1  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

There's already a general WS World's End thread but I wanted to have one just for The Authority like there is for the Wildcats.

Issue 1
    Issue 1
    Preview

The Authority has survived the cataclysmic events following NUMBER OF THE BEAST — but just barely! Do they have a hope of rebuilding their "finer world," or is that hope dead and gone? Don't miss the beginning of an astounding new direction for the series! Plus: Part 2 of the John Lynch backup story that began in WILDCATS: WORLD'S END #1, written by Christos Gage and illustrated by Trevor Hairsine (X-Men: Deadly Genesis)!

Starts the first week of August
    Issue 2
    Issue 2

Preview

The Authority — or what's left of them — struggle to survive in their harsh new environment. As if the daily struggle to continue living in this devastated world wasn't enough, things take a turn for the worse when a ragtag army of vicious psychopaths approach the Carrier — led by the Eidolon! Are the Authority capable of handling this new threat? Plus: Part 2 of the Wetworks backup story that began last month in WILDCATS #2, written by Christos Gage and illustrated by Brandon Badeaux!

Issue 3
    Issue 3

The Midnighter confronts the Eidolon and his Army of the Mad... but can even he overcome an entire army alone? And the Engineer makes a startling discovery in the bowels of the Carrier that could turn the team's fortunes around in this desolate new world! Plus, the second chapter of the Marc "Backlash" Slayton backup story continues by Christos Gage and Mike McKone (GREEN LANTERN, TEEN TITANS)!

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the creator

Looks good.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Midnightist

The previews are just amazing I'm really hyped about whats going to happen to the Authority

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Spoilers Below

Quick rundown on the characters' current states and my reactions.

Jenny and the Doc: Gone. No surprise for anyone that read the books that lead up to this. Their absence didn't bother me, there was other stuff going on and they'd have to be REALLY jacked up to fit on the team how it is now.

Swift: She's got a bigger role now. Her tracking skills and ability to get around quickly (Doors are gone now) are great assets. I'm glad we'll get to see her in a position of importance.

Midnighter: Still cool, nothing much to say there.

Apollo: I've never liked him more than when he appeared in this issue. Friggin great entrance. His situation is messed up, he has to stay in the photosphere or he'll pretty much die. He can dip down closer to the planet for extremely short periods of time. If you thought he lost energy quickly before, that's nothing compared to now. He goes from glowing savior to corpse in about two seconds if he's not bathed in sunlight. That means he and Midnighter are split up all the time but their brief unions (if the one shown here was any indication) are emotionally packed.

Engineer: I knew she'd be jacked up by World's End but not to the extent that she was. She's completely powerless, but still functional. She seems to have taken over as the leader.

Hawksmoor: I think my heart broke when I saw him. The image of him in Armageddon at least had him active, but he's a cripple now. He's deformed and unable to leave a wheelchair that's been made for him. I don't even know what to think other than "I don't like it."

I had been expecting them all to be leveled out, instead of having a few incredibly powerful characters and a couple that didn't really fit, I thought that Engineer, Hawksmoor and maybe Apollo would be brought down to the level of Midnighter and Swift. I didn't see this coming at all. Don't know how the team is going to cope with this. Don't know how I will cope with it.

All in all, while I am very worried about some of the characters (ok, I won't lie, it's Hawksmoor that's on my mind), I thought the story was good. The world ended and The Authority was hit HARD, this shows just how hard. The mood is extremely dark, but I can't wait to see what's coming next and how everyone will function in this new world. They've got huge challenges ahead of them and it will definitely be interesting to see how they deal.

The backup story made me forget my sadness at the state of The Authority. It was the second part of Lynch's hunt for Tao and it was a great introduction to the character (Tao) regardless of how much you already know about him. That 4-page story (really just a recap of Tao's life) was better than many full issues I've read recently.
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Midnightist

I read the first issue and for anyone who wants to read the world's end storyline and hasn't read the Number of the Beast, don't the story in itself was very shocking, I think I was most surprised about  Engineer because from the cover I just though that it was Jenny with a different form, but with out her powers Engineer seems completely different. Jack is probably the most depressed character in the series do to his loss of power and mobility. I've always felt that he was one of the man characters who despite some of the problems loved his powers and purpose the most the Doctors demise really has no impact on me as it just means a new more powerful one will appear , the problem is i think allot of stories are probably going to revolve around he new Doctor because his power should be enough to possibly fix everything that has happened hopefully. However I really can't tell what happened to Jenny because I only scimmed the last Number of the Beast (should have read it) so I don't know the circumstances of her death, but if she's gone this is going to be a major problem for the world as it's hundred year immune system is gone and new Jenny's usually only appear at the beginning of a new century and unless a major consieus change occurs a new won't appear for a hundred years. However her being gone may give other unknown century babies a chance to get into the spotlight.I think Apollo is the second character I feel the sorriest for as he can't even be with the man he loves and basically not even on the same planet as him or he'll die in a few seconds. I do feel though it is going to produce a new feel for his power of a godlike title since he can now watch almost everything going on and can only act in a few small ways restricted with all that power to let the humans fend for themselves. Personally Swift seems to be the only one getting anything out of the events and I would say she may be the closes thing to a real leader as she currently has the most to give as the major means of communication travel and currently probably the second strongest fighter in the group as only she and Midnighter are at their fullest.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I don't think you need to have read NotB to read World's End. I've talked to some others that didn't read NotB and they didn't have trouble understanding it. The only background info you need is that the world has ended, violently, and Jenny and the Doctor are MIA. The Doctor isn't dead. I didn't see him confirmed dead in this issue and he didn't die in NotB either. Going by Armageddon, (it was spot on about what happened with Jenny) he was driven mad by the destruction of the Earth and just walked away in the confusion after the crash and no one can find him. If he's not dead, that means no new Doctor and I'm fine with that. I want to see what the remaining characters do in this crap situation, not watch someone fix it (or have the power to fix it but be crippled because the plot demands it not be fixed since World's End is the status quo now and it affects all the books). Jenny isn't dead either. She took the caged baby universe away.

I don't really see Swift as the leader, I think that spot goes to Angie. Swift keeps communication going between Angie and Jack at the base, Midnighter out looking for people and resources, and Apollo in the sky, but she's just relaying info, not leading. Angie is the one she's bringing information too, getting answers from, and also the one giving orders. Plus, even with her powers gone, she's the smartest one there. Her powers being gone is something I don't get. With her nanobots all gone she should have died since they act as her blood. Either they got her a transfusion (which I don't think would be possible in their situation unless maybe Midnighter just pumped her full of his blood) or the nanobots aren't completely destroyed and are still working on that basic level.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Midnightist

I do think you may need some knowledge of NoB if you want to know what happened to Jenny and the Doctor because I didn't and was confused as to where she went, but it isn't needed and Angie may be acting as leader, but Swift has that really important feel about her know that is usually saved for the leader in any type of  team, but regardless of whether she is actually leader or not, she is very important right know and true Angie has the intellect. but I think that since she's in the same boat as all the other humans she is handling their problems and that makes her important I guess you could say she is the base leader and Swift if the field leader and about her blood even though the nanobots flow through her I don't think they restrict the growth of regular red blood cells especially since in the real world she would be dead if they did while they worked. Most likely once they were shut down she probably had to grow new red blood cells and even if they weren't destroyed by the EMP when nanobots stop working in other forms of fiction white bloods cells tend to confuse them for gems and destroy them, but lets not forget these are comics and libel to bend the rules of reality as they see fit. And although most of the story will be about living in this new world no post apocalyptic changes to a universe have ever been permenant ,but I agree the true story is the journey of this new world and now their will be more villains than ever 

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Angie has said several times before that the nanobots have completely replaced her blood, so if they were all destroyed she'd have nothing pumping through her veins but garbage and even if her body was capable of making more blood once the machines stopped working, she couldn't make enough before she died. I know it's fiction, but that doesn't mean there are no rules at all. The other times her nanobots were removed did not leave her in a good position so there should be a reason why she's functioning healthily now. It may be explained later or maybe not, I'm just saying that at this point, it's something I'm wondering about.

I don't know if this will be a permanent situation (though, just because other universes haven't sustained drastic changes doesn't mean anything), but it will last for a while. They're not fixing the whole world overnight.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Midnightist

I really don't think it will be permanent but who knows and chances are the fact that Angie is alive after her nanobots shutting down are probably just a mistake on the part of the writers just something they hadden't thought about I'm more curious about what will happen with Jenny, Swift and the Doctor. I think allot of story will be caused by the two of them and I'm really curious about the details of what happened to Jack. I'm figuring somehow the city still being their but damaged is keeping him technically alive, but in an unstable form or his body probably couldn't handle all the damage done to the city and the Carrier's destruction probably didn't help either although his connection to the Carrier isn't like that of a normal city, it may have some effect.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I'm finding I really don't care about the Doctor or Jenny. I had thought I might care a little (I didn't expect them to die or anything but I didn't know what would happen), but them being gone works and I'm sure they'll be back when it fits into the story. I am curious about Swift though. As has been said, she's stepping up so I'm sure we'll get more of her. We saw more of her character in this issue than in most, if not all, of the previous Authority stories. What do you mean a lot of the story will be caused by the two of them? And which two? I don't think Jenny or Habib will have too much impact. They may want to search for them but they have their hands full just staying alive and searching the nearby area for survivors. They might find a crazy Habib, but there's no telling where Jenny is. I want to know about Jack too. Your guesses seem reasonable.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Midnightist

They're two of the most powerful characters in the WS. I have a habit of trying to predict things in stories very far down the line and I just keep seeing the teams on the planet first spending as much time trying to survive, but at some point for some reason they will try and fix it. I can especially tell they will becuase allot of the most powerful characters have disappeared (Jenny, Doctor) become unreliable (Apollo, Majestic) imprisoned (Void) or depowered (Spartan) all the heavy hitters are damaged of course such a thing is neccessary for the world to end and somebody is probably going to want their freedom or power. You pointed out that Spartan was hurt the most by turning from a God to a robot and I think he's human enough to want to be a God again if not just for the chance to help people, I am really looking foward to the furture and wants going to happen next. So far I loved the Incubites that appeared in issue one and I hope smarter more powerful villians are going o appear and take over (whats left of) the wrold

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Oh, I have no doubt they'll try and fix it once they get their stuff straightened out (and that will no doubt be great to read), but how successful will they be? Do you think they could ever completely escape the post-apocalyptic setting? I mean, even  if they got technology working again and world-wide communication, there are natural things that are screwed up. The moon is mostly (or completely, I can't remember) gone and the planet has shifted. (There are powerhouses like Majestic that could fix that but where's the fun there? Plus, he's crazy now so he won't help.)The planet itself has all kinds of ecological problems you might expect, but then has those fictional ones. Diseases like Warhol Fever (I liked the incubites too, contagious insta-hulks are a great idea), Soul Storms (which, are scary if you check out the preview for 2), and the rise of SPBs, for starters. These problems would take decades or longer to fix. That time would pass faster in a comic, but it's still not going to be a quick fix and those aren't all the problems. Even when stuff starts heading back to normal, it won't be the same. The powerful characters were hurt the most, you're right, but that just means that the people most able to really help can't do so. And Spartan is messed up in the head. He doesn't want to lead anymore or even be reminded of who he was before, so I don't think he's in a rush to power up again (and if he were, he doesn't have the tech or Void powers to do it).

I want to see how humans are dealing with it. Most of what we've seen has them pretty much as cattle. They're either getting killed (and eaten) by bad guys and monsters or they're being sheltered by heroes. There has to be more than that. There should be some people (in parts of the world not screwed up so badly) acting on their own and trying to fix or take advantage of the situation (like Tao). Hopefully we'll see some of that in the other books and backstories.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Midnightist

Well in these kind of environments characters would normally go back in time and fix it or they world do some type of massive universal recton just like in Worldstorm so they most definantly fix the problems, but that doesn't mean they will true and plus since this is the WS like I said before the massive change comes when the new day starts. Plus I can't want to see if there are anymore superhuman viruses and the soul storms are very interesting, but most of the time post-apocalyptic worlds are changed because in the long run they become depressing and of course if Majestic gets his sanity he can move the planet back and since he fixed the ozone in DC he could probably fix the smog in WS, but right now he doesn't seem to care. My problem is though if their are so many new SPBs then why are there more people trying to fix things. Not everyone has to be infected with just the Warhol Fever and Lynch will probably take on Tao all on his own since the others are probably dealing with just saving people let alone stopping him and if normal humans got allot of story in comics we wouldn't need superheroes what we saw is probably all we are going to get from regualr humans. 

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

But the point isn't just to fix things easily. They've been setting this up for almost a year so I don't think it's just going to be undone. Even if there are ways to do it (no one has the tech for time travel though and resetting the universe for like the 3rd time in a few years just makes it look like they don't know what they're doing), they aren't going to rush to use them. They knew it would be dark when they started and they did it anyway.

My problem is though if their are so many new SPBs then why are there more people trying to fix things.
    There aren't. Did you mean why aren't more people trying to fix things? I think it's just easier to take advantage than try to put the world back together. I don't think humans need a lot of story, just to be shown in different ways in the amount of time they already get. The PHD preview showed some of that. I don't think showing the humans means you don't get the heroes. There are always both in comics.
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Midnightist

Of course they're not going to fix everything so easy I just like to guess at what could happen before they actually do it's just something I do usually because I think writers have kinda lost their edge and things are too easy too guess and I feel better when I'm wrong, but I did mean why aren't they and true controlling the world is easier than fixing it, but I do expect maybe some new team of super heroes to be formed out of this mess, but allot of events like this give people motivation to either do something good or bad but in general we are just going to see allot of new villains heroes and everything else inbetween before this crisis ever gets better if it does and I really think things will change because when the world is already destroyed the role of the hero becomes pretty weak and theres only so much left for them to do. Once heroes are settled with everyone have some form of protection someone will get pissed enough to either make it better or worse and in the end things will always get better, but the will can and will always get worst first and although it's really the worse part that draws your attention once its gotten so bad that it becomes harder for it to get worse it will get better at the end so the process can start all over again.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Hadn't thought about getting a new team out of this. You never know. I'm pretty sure the Paladins (some of them) and the New Dynamix crew will show up at some point. Tao's planned an uprising of SPBs so there could be new villain teams too (some that last more than an issue before getting killed). I don't think I agree that there's only so much a hero can do with a destroyed world. I think rebuilding things and making them better is more work than just beating the occasional bad guy to keep things where they are. I'm not sure what the end of your post said.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Midnightist
    I meant that when things seem good somehow things go bad or they want to correct the things that have gone wrong and their are allot of details to fixing the world when it's gone, but the goal for a hero is always in general just fixing what happened its a very focused target. I've got to go till tomorrow.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
    Looks Tight. I Might Get It On The DL
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Support Wildstorm...with money.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Never heard of Pulp Secret before but they did a review (it's video for those too lazy to read) of Authority #1 and a couple other World's End titles here.

Ketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Ketch
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    Issue 4
    Issue 4

Swift finds herself at the mysterious Rendlesham base. Who – and what – she finds will have staggering results for everyone. Aboard the Carrier, the team's worst fears manifest as a viral outbreak rages!

Also included is the second chapter of the Cybernary backup from Christos Gage and Pete Woods.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By danhimself

i think whats going to happen down the line is we're going to figure out what was going on with the void durring armageddon and who was holding her captive and i think that's going to play a huge part of all of wildstorms future storylines

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

If you check out The New Dynamix or the backup stories running through the World's End books you'll see that Tao was the one who was controlling Void. From my post in another Wildstorm thread (before World's End), "Turns out Tao was behind it all. He was the guy sending Void out to show heroes the future, so while he didn't make the NotB program which caused World's End, him sending Nemesis into the future and then her actions when she came back are what caused NotB to start World's End. He's also made some moves that will probably give himself a leg up in the new world. He has an army of SPBs in storage, he's planned an uprising of another group of SPBs, he still has Void, and it appears that he has a backup body with his personality in it in case anything should happen to him." I'm sure it will be a part of future stories (maybe after the teams get settled a little) but right now the story of that is going on in the backups, at least in the current one and a couple down the line. They seem to be setting the atmosphere for the rest of the world that isn't covered in the actual books.

Hagane Enna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hagane Enna

Okay, what the hell happened?  I just got to read the book and I am rather lost.  How did things end up that way?  I'm missing a huge chunk of info somewheres.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    Really short recap: Government-made clones of The High (from the Stormwatch arc "Change or Die") were released and destroyed the world (ruined the moon, tilted the axis of the Earth, caused general destruction on the planet).  Jenny Quantum and  The Doctor disappeared as a result of preventing  things from being even worse than they are and the Carrier crash-landed/merged-with London.
    Hagane Enna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hagane Enna

Well, damn it, that sucks.  I swear I missed something.  Must have been in a book I don't get *sigh*

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Before I go to bed, the second issue of Authority came out. Woot. Got a couple updates on characters. The Eidolon is very different now. He was kind of laid back before, but now he's just a super-powered psycho with an army. Interested to see how his fight with Midnighter goes. The situation with Angie's nanobots got cleared up a little. She still has it flowing through her veins (and keeping her alive), it just doesn't work quite like it used to. It seems acting like normal blood is all it can do now. She is trying to start up machines with it but it doesn't seem to be working well. Considering how connected she was to The Carrier before (submerged in it's body and connected through wires that ran directly into her) it might be that she has to give up more than a few drops of blood. Things could get nasty. Between Eidolon, the soul storms and Jack's attitude (guy was really hit hard, can't say that enough, I was hoping there might be some hope for him but I'm really not seeing it) things look grim. Guess that's the point though.

Ketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ketch

Still good. Best of the four books to come out of World's End. All the characters are just captured so well and the world is fleshed out more with every issue. For anyone waiting for a reappearance of The Establishment, it's happened. I knew it would happen in Stormwatch (my second favorite of the new line) but it's going down in The Authority as well, just more world-building and realization that everyone is on the same planet. I don't know what the machines that Angie found were, but I hope she gets some tech and can get at least some of her abilities back. Jack's still moping but I think his time is coming. I'd hate to see him stuck as he is for too long. And the Apollo/Midnighter stuff (alone and together) was nice. Read Wildstorm comics. I have more preview stuff to put up but I'm tired and no one is begging for it now anyway so I'll do it later. 

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Issue 5 came out. 

Stolen Review: This issue was full of awesome - not just gloomy World's End awesome, but proper old-school Authority awesome courtesy of Apollo doing his WMD thing. "Act of God, on demand" - heh! I can't remember the last time he got to blow so much sh*t up, it's been a while. I think this is one of the really good things about Authority World's End, that when somebody does power up and kick ass it feels like a big deal rather than business as usual and you go 'yay!' Of course this being World's End, there's no ass-kickage without personal cost - but that's a whole other story hook that looks interesting too. And dear God, Hawksmoor is losing it. What's going on in his head is scarier than what's happening to his body; he was repeating himself like a senile old man as he tried to justify himself. I'm finding his decline horribly fascinating.

What I love about this series is the way the tone keeps changing. We've had monologues, downbeat picking-up-pieces scenes, soulful character scenes, moral arguments/conflicts, wheeling and dealing, horror and fighting... this one was a solid, old-fashioned story issue - death and danger, real drama between some characters, and fire-power.

And the last couple of pages were intriguing as three Rendlesham dudes forgot every fairytale they'd ever read about the perils of sweet little old ladies in cottages in the wilderness. Who is that?

Any critic who says 'meh' or 'not much happened this issue' (I'm looking at you, Buy Pile) needs some Warhol Fever to kick-start their jaded brain.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By King_Saturn
    Authority issue 5 was pretty good... Apollo was Beasting on People... Glad to see him doing that Again...
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Don't feel like a new thread and bumping World's End can't hurt. 

The Authority series started by Grant Morrison (which went only two issues) will be finished by Keith Giffen. Read More.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.