Follow

The Amazing Spider-Man

Movie » The Amazing Spider-Man released on July 03, 2012.

A Marc Webb directed reboot of the Spider-Man film franchise, retelling the origin story of Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man.

The Amazing Spider-Man Film That Could Have Been by David Fincher

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Amazing Spider-Man

Before Marc Webb took on the "simple" task of directing The Amazing Spider-Man film, David Fincher, director of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, was in the Spider-Man film director shortlist in 1999 and then again for the reboot. In a recent interview with io9, Fincher explains how he would have originally handled the movie's title sequence:

My impression what Spider-Man could be is very different from what Sam [Raimi] did or what Sam wanted to do. I think the reason he directed that movie was because he wanted to do the Marvel comic superhero. I was never interested in the genesis story. I couldn't get past a guy getting bit by a red and blue spider. It was just a problem… It was not something that I felt I could do straight-faced. I wanted to start with Gwen Stacy and the Green Goblin, and I wanted to kill Gwen Stacy.

The title sequence of the movie that I was going to do was going to be a ten minute — basically a music video, an opera, which was going to be the one shot that took you through the entire Peter Parker [backstory]. Bit by a radio active spider, the death of Uncle Ben, the loss of Mary Jane, and [then the movie] was going to begin with Peter meeting Gwen Stacy. It was a very different thing, it wasn't the teenager story. It was much more of the guy who's settled into being a freak.

It seems like Fincher was going in the correct route by telling Spidey's origin story in just the title sequence the same way that Banner's origin was showcased in The Incredible Hulk. Although, I'm not sure that killing Gwen Stacy in her first movie would allow the audience to really care for the character's passing. Plus, Captain Stacy should die before her daughter does just like in the comics, something that, from what we can see in some set images, might be happening in Webb's film.

We have been teased to what Webb's Spider-Man interpretation will be, but, based on what you read above, do you think that Fincher might have made a better film?

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @sora_thekey

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.