marmendymill's The Amazing Spider-Man #4 - Nothing Can Stop The Sandman review

Avatar image for marmendymill

Spidey Gets Sand Kicked In His Face

The cover: 5 stars

Okay, I know I said I hated word balloons on covers, but I just love this cover. When I first saw it I thought this was the coolest villain ever and couldn’t imagine how Spidey could ever beat this latest foe. Somehow Steve Ditko manages to convey a sense of mystery, surprise and helplessness on the cover … you just can’t wait to find out what happens.

Nothing Can Stop … The Sandman (21 pages)

For me this is the first issue that really hits the mark. Stan produces some of his best, free flowing, snappy and humorous dialogue and Steve’s artwork is brilliant throughout. The story is jam packed with lots of little sub-plots; the thugs that try to get Spidey arrested, Jonah in full rant mode, Peter having to sew his ripped costume, Spidey playing pranks on Jonah and Aunt May keeping Peter in Bed with a fever. The pace never flags for a moment and it’s the first non-animal villain Spidey’s fought. We had the Chameleon, the Vulture and Doctor Octopus; “Nothing Can Stop The Sandcrab” would have been a step too far.

Trivia:

The first appearance of Betty Brant.

Peter blows a date with Liz Allen.

Peter was faking photographs from the beginning; he just wasn’t caught out for over 40 years.