Follow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Movie » The Amazing Spider-Man 2 released on May 02, 2014.

2014 Sequel to Marc Webb's new take on Spider-Man, starring Andrew Garfield, Jamie Foxx, and Emma Stone.

"Power and Responsibility"; What Amazing Spider-Man Lacks

• 46 results
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

Warning, this editorial piece will come with some spoilersfrom The Amazing Spider-Man and its recent sequel.

Still here? Okay... Don't say I didn't warn you.

No Caption Provided

Over the course of these past three weeks I've watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 three times. Just as it sounds, the movie did not disappoint, especially with how much I love the character of Gwen Stacy (if you know me at all you know what I am talking about). But I will have to review the whole movie eventually. Right now I want to talk about the most famous phrase from the lovable Spider-Man lore...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

You must know that one of the biggest disappointments in these recent movies was not being able to hear someone utter these words that leave such a huge impact. You can discuss with me all you want about how Uncle Ben said the same thing using some different vocabulary during the first movie, but while I don't hear "with great power comes great responsibility" it does not count.

So I have given myself the task of mentioning where in these two movies the phrase could have been said. I have the power to do so; so I shall fulfill my responsibility:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Uncle Ben

No Caption Provided

There were two instances where these words could have been said. I don't have the script with me but he said something along the lines of: "if we have the power to do something about it is our moral responsibility to do so". Semantically speaking, it is the same but, was it really that hard to reinforce the statement with a "great power comes great responsibility"?

The second time was when he left his nephew a voice message. This is just after he dies and a moment in the movie that simple touches your heart, I won't deny that. Even so, if Marc Webb didn't want these words to be said to Peter's face, why not the voice message?

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Richard Parker

No Caption Provided

What about Peter's father? According to Uncle Ben, the famous words that give Spider-Man his most important lesson originally come from his father. At the beginning of the movie Richard Parker (not talking about the tiger in Life of Pi) records himself revealing secrets about the spiders that would eventually empower Peter. The revelation can't be really seen until the awesome movie's midpoint. Just as he is regretting what he's done his phrase could've come in: "with great power comes great responsibility" and end with: "and it is my responsibility to discontinue these experiments".

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Gwen Stacy

No Caption Provided

Please let me catch my breath before I talk about this... I promised myself I wouldn't cry. In the recent line of Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Gwen Stacy sort of takes on the role of mentor for the new Spider-Man (MIles Morales). Actually it is her who teaches MIles the rule he must follow: "with great power comes great responsibility". Seeing as how Gwen is a very relevant Spider-Man lore character, I have no problem with her being who says the phrase.

No Caption Provided

Where in the movie would it be appropriate for her to say it? After her death; duh. It is a common thing for Peter Parker to receive his lessons from recordings of dead people. In the movie Peter watches the recording of Gwen's graduation speech. She talks about how great they will all become in their fleeting time. She talks about how they shouldn't be marked by their past. She just needed to mention how big of a responsibility they have on their potentially powerful hands.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion. Maybe you don't all agree. Should the phrase have been included in the movies?

By the way, do yourself a favor and go watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Once you do, check if you still miss Toby Mcguire the "original" Spider-Man.

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @Geo_sorathekey

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't miss Toby Mcguire, it's just that all the villains in Amazing Spider-Man are done in a non-compelling way, in my opinion. No one can match Molina as Ock. Also the soundtrack blows.

Nice write up though. I agree that the rewording was strange and unnecessary.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Yeah, this was always something that bugged me about the first movie. Some might argue that it's really not that big of a deal, but when you actually look at the Spider-Man mythos and lore, it's the very thing that shows who Spider-Man is and is something that will forever define his character. His entire origin is about how he was given this great power, yet acted irresponsibly with that power. He didn't truly understand what that phrase meant until the death of Uncle Ben, and is the reason why Spider-Man will go to any length to save those in danger, because he was given this power and it's responsibility to help others with it.

In the first movie he had to learn to be responsible with his powers, and what the consequences were if he wasn't. Peter started out using his powers to show off, which in turn got his uncle killed. Following his uncle's death, he decided to use his powers to seek revenge. In wasn't until the end of the movie, having defeated a monster he had created and in turn being partly responsible for George Stacy's death, that he realized the hero he was meant to be and how to be responsible with his powers.

In ASM2 Peter had to struggle with his responsibilities as Spider-Man and the risk that puts on those he cares. Throughout the whole movie Peter struggled with the promise he had to made at the end of the first movie. Peter constantly put Gwen's life in danger because he wanted to be with her, putting his selfish feelings above her safety and ultimately it cost Gwen her life. In the end Peter learned that his life is dangerous and that he puts those close to him in danger, and by being reckless he could get them killed. He learned that he must be responsible with those around him, putting their safety above his relationship with them.

Hopefully, ASM3 will continue to deal with Peter trying to move on following Gwen's death. Mary Jane will most likely become the new love interest as well. So seeing Peter and MJ become friends, but with Peter keeping her at arms-length, out of fear for her life, would be a natural response following the events of ASM3. Seeing Peter take the responsibility of his life as Spider-Man seriously would be a great way to end out this first trilogy, seeing Peter go from being a reckless teenager and grow into the responsible hero he's meant to be.

I could see them making this whole trilogy about Peter lesson of power and responsibility and ending it with him quoting the classic line, having finally understanding what his uncle was trying to tech him way back in ASM1. To me that would be a more fitting way to inject that line into the movies, while also showing what it means to have "great power and responsibility."

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: I actually kind of loved the soundtrack.

I could see them making this whole trilogy about Peter lesson of power and responsibility and ending it with him quoting the classic line, having finally understanding what his uncle was trying to tech him way back in ASM1. To me that would be a more fitting way to inject that line into the movies, while also showing what it means to have "great power and responsibility."

That's actually an awesome idea I had not thought of. Still, I would prefer for someone to teach it to him rather than him having to come to the point of realizing it. Would be a nice save though.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Nice blog, but I think its a lose lose situation. If they over use it like the first 3 did, they just get called out for copying it (despite it being Spider-Man's "phase") and if they don't use they get called out for that.

And we actually had some people try and argue MJ was a better character than Gwen in the movies, so you'll basically get no where trying to argue which movies are better. I personally find both ASM far superior for a myriad of reasons I'm not going to get into.

I also did not like the soundtrack. Well parts of it were good, others not so much. it was Schizophrenic. My single biggest issue with the film.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By GraniteSoldier

It was one of my biggest grievances with the ASM series thus far that that famous and very key statement was never uttered. Like you said, the lesson is there, but it doesn't have the same impact.

And I also don't miss Tobey at all.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Once you do, check if you still miss Toby Mcguire the "original" Spider-Man.

Its "tobey maguire", and yeah while ASM2 is good, the old movies are still better.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

On point.

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slap

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Well, they are copying... they started with the origins. I see no problem with them saying the phrase again.

savagepizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMFG I was just talking about this I thought at least peter would have a flash back or something in the second movie where uncle been says the iconic line to make up for the first movie but noooooooooooooooo I swear that bugged me more than andrew garfieds horrible crying in both films xD lol when gwen died im like here we go again lol now in my house every time we see him we cant help to utter uncle gwen uncle gwen(to commemorate the to horrible crys) other than that great flick :)

ftw201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ftw201

I just cannot comprehend how anyone can prefer Tobey as Peter/spiderman. He was awful, whiney, too "Hollywood" and a big cry baby. Sure, I loved the movies when I was a kid and they came out. But now that I've actually read all of the Amazing series from #350-700 and just about all of the other series (ultimate, sensational v1&2, superior) and have watched the asm movies, calling Tobey "spider-man" almost seems like a sin.

MatthewPelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think it would be sick to see a multi-universe Spidey film, one that brings Raimi's and Webb's universes together. Having Toby utter that line would be genius. Find a way to have Dafoe come back as Goblin maybe. There is a classic comic book like style to Raimi's Spidey movies versus Andy's more realistic Spider-Man that i'd like to see at least one more time. Plus, J.K. Simmons as Jameson! " Two masked menaces!"

Seafood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncle Ben didn't even say the line in the comics.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great write up. I was thinking about this after watching the two movies back to back. I really hope Peter says this line in the 3rd movie somewhere.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: what bugged you about the first movie? you pretty much wrote up all the reasons and how he learned about what being irresponsible costs you in the movie.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@w0nd: Oh, I was agreeing with the OP's comment about the unnecessary change to the classic "With great power comes great responsibility" line in AMS1. The fact that they tried to have Uncle Ben say it, but in a different wording always bugged me as there was never a real reason given for the change, nor was the change really needed in the first place. It's something that just bugs me as it comes off as changing something simply for the sake of changing it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: ahh ok i get you now. I pretty much agree. It's like they changed it for the sake of changing it as much as they could. If he said it that way to me I would have ignored him as well...just because I would be so confused

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Exactly. The way they worded it in the movie just sounded dumb and uninspiring, unlike the classic line which makes sense and is iconic. There was no reason to change it and the fact that they did was something that will always bug me about the movie.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Exactly. The way they worded it in the movie just sounded dumb and uninspiring, unlike the classic line which makes sense and is iconic. There was no reason to change it and the fact that they did was something that will always bug me about the movie.

Uninspiring!!! That's the word I was looking for...

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It was one of my biggest grievances with the ASM series thus far that that famous and very key statement was never uttered. Like you said, the lesson is there, but it doesn't have the same impact.

This

And I also don't miss Tobey at all.

-_-

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly agree about the Uncle Ben points. One of the most out of place scenes in the first movie was when Uncle Ben came to pick Pete up after his run in with Flash. I mean sure, he could've been mad that he had to take off work and go pick up May, but I fully expected Ben to say something like: You made me miss work, but that Flash guy deserved it. I absolutely raged at how much of a curmudgeon they wrote Uncle Ben as. The Uncle Ben we all know is a sweet and gentle man. I can't think of any comic runs or any other medium where he is unkind to Peter.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is one line making u guys mad? no one in the spider universe said it. it was a comment by the author, stan lee. I was bummed that they didn't say the line either. I didn't too much care for the first asm. however, asm2 was the best one. the character finally acted like spiderman. he made jokes to the villains for once. he even acted like peter parker. I think a lot of people are mad that asm is the first series. I hate the fact that they rebooted spiderman. the first series captured peter parker perfectly. this series captures spidey perfectly.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Not mad, in fact I love the ASM movies... It just lacks delivery without that line.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fallschirmjager: While I prefer the first two Spider Man films. Gwen was a much better gf, it's not even close. Also the fact that she dies left a much bigger impact.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@lukehero said:

@fallschirmjager: While I prefer the first two Spider Man films. Gwen was a much better gf, it's not even close. Also the fact that she dies left a much bigger impact.

I cried

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

ASM 2 lacked everything.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, he was really responsible when he went out and randomly fought blond dudes with glasses throughout half the first movie...

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The movie lacked everything, the only thing it has over any of the other movies was the love interest and relationship between Peter and Gwen.

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

I totally am with you here. The phrase is totally missing in these two movies. I felt disappointed.

On a side note: Not sure when they will bring in MJ, who was missed too. Hope the third will feature her now that Gwen is gone.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kartron said:

I totally am with you here. The phrase is totally missing in these two movies. I felt disappointed.

On a side note: Not sure when they will bring in MJ, who was missed too. Hope the third will feature her now that Gwen is gone.

Better to bring in Felicia Hardy as the next potential love interest

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don’t miss Tobey, but his movies (at least up to Spider-Man 2) are better than the current TASM. Nice blog btw.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

I like the Amazing Spider-Man movies better than the original Trilogy but I do agree with OP's opinion. Well said. I think the Gwen speech would have been the greatest place to put it. That would explain Pete's getting back in the game even better.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why people complain about them not having the line in the film. Uncle Ben never said it in the comics he only said it in the rami film. I hate how people whine that the line was not in amazing. It's based on the ultimate universe and in the ultimate origin he says essentially what Ben says in the amazing film. Plus the line "with great power there must also come great responsibility" is not as great as people make it out to be. What about that line says "dress in spandex an avenge my sudden potential death" it's always bugged me. The ultimate version makes more sense for him becoming a vigilante.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.