Follow

Thanos

Character » Thanos appears in 1258 issues.

An Eternal with the Deviant gene, making him unique and extremely powerful, even amongst his own kind. Above all else, Thanos loves and worships Mistress Death. Few can equal his intelligence, strength, and ambition for power. Thanos has wielded the Cosmic Cube, the Infinity Gauntlet, and even the Heart of the Universe.

Why do you like Thanos?

• 103 results
    Dession_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He just....does things you know. anyways i like him because he has interesting story.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

moments like these:

No Caption Provided

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: Even if Hickman got Thanos characterisation wrong he still wrote him as a supreme badass.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92: honestly, with how Starlin writes him, it's like he wants to make a hero out of him. an actual legitimate hero! but with everyone else, he's Darkseid with confusing motives. I say enjoy the badass moments as they arrive

Plus, at least Thanos Rising series and the current book have him tell off Death for friendzoning him. That made him more realistic to me.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger:

And to continue - I think in a way that Thanos as a character has been ill-served by becoming ''famous'' with "The Infinity Gauntlet," and in particular by the bizarre misunderstanding of that story as a sort of blockbuster crossover full of superhero pyrotechnics where the Avengers fight a super-powered Darkseid wannabe and take him down. "Gauntlet" was, in typically Starlin fashion, a wonderfully trippy headpiece filled with psychedelic imagery and bizarre reality-warping dreamscapes - and, also typical of Starlin, it dispenses with its big-name superheroes in an almost hilariously brusque fashion, with the omnipotent Thanos bumping off the laughably ineffectual remains of Earth's Mightiest Heroes in increasingly morbid and creative ways to show how awesome he is, like when Frank Miller has Batman humiliating the other DC heroes, or like what Gene Rodenberry did with the red shirts in Star Trek TOS. A-list characters like Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Wolverine (memorably dispatched by having his bones turned to spongy rubber!) are of far less import to the story than the often underrated mystical heroes like Silver Surfer and Doctor Strange, to say nothing of Adam Warlock and Nebula, who are pretty much the real main characters along with Thanos, and the whole thing is really a story about what happens when an epic fantasy villain finally gets the ultimate power, only to realize that even that will never make him happy.

"Gauntlet" really is the culmination of Starlin's work on Thanos as a character (he really could have left him retired as a farmer on that planet or kept him vanished after bringing back the universe in the ending of The End, and if we never saw him again, it would kind of been perfect), but that's just the end or climax of who Thanos is - it's not his entire story. Marvel, by trotting him out as a rote glowering supervillain for their blockbusters - and throwing his character development into the dumpster by turning him into a petty, thuggish space bully like DC's Mongul or Dragonball's Frieza and having him go after the Infinity Gems in a upcoming event AGAIN (because that's the only thing the editors and casual fans remember about Thanos) - show how little they understand the character, and how little they understand the old stories they're currently trying to exploit.

@phillip33

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

@mar-vell92: Indeed. At the end, only 2% of Thanos comics that are not written by Starlin are ok (like Thanos Imperative, which was great in my opinion). Even after The End, he had other appearances in Starlin's comics that were pretty cool. I like how Starlin explained that Thanos gave up on the gems instead of them being taken away from him.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Mar-Vell92

@krleavenger: Thanos Imperative was pretty good. Didn't like how DnA had Thanos go nuts and kill Phyla-Vell though.

Its sad that the Guardians of the Galaxy hadn't a good Story since Thanos Imperative. Damn you Bendis.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Mar-Vell92

@nkishi: Then go somewhere else scrub.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: Yeah, Thanos almost never got to be with Lady Death.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92: except for the starlin ogn’s and annihilation

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy219: agree with the sentry statement tbh

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chad_Duby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because HE IS THANOS, HIS NAME START WITH "T" AND HE HAS OVER 200IQ.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Mar-Vell92

@krleavenger: @seekquaze: They think Starlin's Thanos is an invincible Mary Sue because they don't realize that Starlin stories are about Adam Warlock and Thanos, not the Avengers. And also because they put all the characters on the same tier. You are not going to send Daredevil against Galactus or the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Fantastic Four against Kingpin. It Just doesn't work that way.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause he has a movie..

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e
    deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to like him.But sometimes he just feels too overpowered,or maybe because guys like cap are put up against him for the majority,forcing the big guns to get one-hit sidelined.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

@mar-vell92: I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to it if the claims made by other people are not assertive, or if they acknowledge the fact that they don't know a lot about the character and base their opinion only on what they have seen thus far. As for your next question about the trailer (sorry, I missed it), it's fine.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

INFINITY SIBLINGS SPOILERS AHEAD

The new OGN refreshed my belief that, with the exception of Ron Marz and Keith Giffen, nobody gets Thanos but Starlin and I am not just saying because Starlin made him but because other writers usually write him as a thuggish warlord in the style of Mongul or Blastaar, who just goes through the Marvel universe slaughtering and conquering everything on his path, or as a cosmic version of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer with daddy issues (i'm looking at you Jason Aaron) and that's pretty much it.

Meanwhile Starlin has him do stuff like that but he just doesn't do it for power or just for the sake of conquest; he has ulterior motives and he is a master manipulator and quite machiavellian. Starlin's Thanos also has a personality other than scary angry evil dude (like he cares about people like Gamora and Adam Warlock but he's really incapable of being healthy about it).

Heck even when he's trying to impress Death I feel like there's more feeling and tragedy when Starlin writes him. It also helps that Starlin's Death returns Thanos' feelings (it's complicated) it kind of sells their relationship for me.

Even if I am enjoying Cates' Thanos story I find that Thanos is my least favorite aspect about it (Cosmic Ghost Rider and me wanting to see where the plot goes is what keeps me reading). Hell now that I read Infinity Siblings I could see what Starlin meant as to why Cates' story was similiar to his new Trilogy (has to do mostly with Thanos meeting a future upgraded version of himself and Death also being involved). While Cates' story had some cool moments I feel what I read from it doesn't really make me care much about Thanos (I felt for Hulk, Surfer, Frank,but not Thanos). I enjoyed the character in Starlin's Infinity Siblings, he finally gave Eros (Thanos' hedonistic douche of a Brother) some character development, not to mention it also dropped a huge "Oh shit" moment towards the end that made me eager to read the sequel.

I also liked that his Thanos cared for his father Mentor (who apparently in that story was killed during Rage of Ultron when Ultron took over Titan) in his own way. I dunno but it felt truer to Thanos than Lemire just having him kill Mentor in a violent way (which is just as bad as Kid Thanos vivsecting his almost naked mother).

That said I feel Al Ewing writes a decently good Thanos. I especially enjoyed his talk with Conner Sims and manipulating him which showed Thanos being cunning. I also liked the whole idea Ewing introduced about two Thanos running around in the Marvel Universe (that might have been him trying to make sense between Starlin's Thanos and the other writer's).

@krleavenger@cull_obsidian@mowjack@phillip33@lord_spectrum@battle123axe

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92: At first I could t get Into the new OGN mostly due to the art , I don't particularly like davis' Thanos I mean his look is ok but there's just no emotion in him , now signature smile and no depicted characterisation.

But reading it again was a treat once I got past the art , I liked it, bot much on the way of new feats but thats ok , I did almost feel a disconnect with the writing and the depiction, he seemed to woody and emotionless.

Although I'm not sure why he says his father was killed by ultron , as HE killed him , maybe it will sort itself out

Its true that rather then an evil serial killer hes actually a curious cosmic adventurer that craves knowledge and the pursue of power rather the actual power itself , and above all he wants love.

I too enjoyed his talk with Conner Sims but I hated his battle tbh he was too weak , he was better portrayed against the imperial guard while truly weak

The introduction in the OGN by the writers of infinity war was excellent and makes me more reassured by his characterization.

Side note , I'm enjoying Cates run but the powerlevels are allover the place , and I'm a bit nervous about Thanos in the upcoming Infinity wars comics series. Wondering about what stupid way he will he defeated by the flavour of the month mcu heros like captain marvel or streetlevers with a stone

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian: Oh absolutely. I'm expecting Duggan's Thanos to be written as a cheesy mustache twirling villain and be defeated in a infuriating manner.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joking guys, Thanos swags!

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: Yes, Starlin Thanos and Thuggish Thanos characterisations are so at odds with each other that douchebag supreme Brevoort put Starlin's OGNs in another continuity.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: Seems to be but I still maintain that its 616 thanos as there's references to the Thanos series like hunger and Galactus, which were in continuity as they led to annihilation

Just brevoort not being forthcoming again

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mar-vell92 said:

@masterofevil: Even if Hickman got Thanos characterisation wrong he still wrote him as a supreme badass.

I think he is a very choice for Thanos cause's he has those qualities to bring out Starlin's logical ,strategic and philosophical Thanos as far as i have read his comics of Marvel Now ! But the thing is he didn't characterize Thanos during Thanos Rising and that pretty much led to him being not bothering out his character view throughout his comic run . But least he tried to bring some badass moments for Thanos .

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83 morpheus_  Moderator

Only writers that have written Thanos properly are Marz and Giffen. Hickman's version was indeed off but the Starlin idolization here is odd. His Thanos is a Gary Stu of the highest order.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_ said:

Only writers that have written Thanos properly are Marz and Giffen. Hickman's version was indeed off but the Starlin idolization here is odd. His Thanos is a Gary Stu of the highest order.

I guess now i can understand what do u thought about my words about Hickman's Thanos portrayal .

Well I intended to say that Hickman never cared about to explore the character(Thanos) background since Marvel(or Aaron lol) wanted him to be more thug-ish character , even though he had number of ideas and theories to bring out some characters with much scientific sense in a passionate way which i experienced through his comic run . But Hickman was never given that chance to explore the Starlin/Giffen/Ron's Thanos

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Just because Earth's heroes are treated like red shirts and Worf in Starlin's stories while Thanos and Warlock do all the work doesn't make Thanos a Gary Stu. You (and Thanos detractors) are making the mistake of putting all the characters in the same tier. You'll never going to see Daredevil and Punisher fighting a Celestial or Galactus, nor the Fantastic Four and the GOTG fighting Kingpin. And also because Thanos and Warlock are the main characters of the Infinity Somethings. They are not stories about the Avengers punching a cosmic potentate.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 morpheus_  Moderator

@mar-vell92: I'm not a Thanos detractor, kindly do not generalize. It has absolutely nothing to do with power levels, either - I'm not disgruntled because Thanos does not lose to Beta Ray Bill, the Silver Surfer, or the Avengers - he should walk all over them at the same time, that's his established level. My issue is with how predictable and colorless Starlin's Thanos is for the past 25 years. Excelling at everything, outsmarting even Galactus, usually losing to nobody but himself, either due to doubt or a literal future version and clone of him.

And Starlin consistently retconning every single bad showing Thanos has under other writers is good to sustain the character's credibility, but almost pitiable - and a sign of his unwillingness to let his pet character lose, almost ever.

You can like all that and it's fine, for me it's just mediocre for a character with immense potential when written properly.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@morpheus_: Wasn't Starlin's Thanosi retcon during Infinity Abyss used as a plot device to explain his villainous nature and character derailment, rather than an effort to do away with his low showings?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

@brucerogers: One of the Thanosi lost to a heavily amped Thor in Jurgens' run (while using Mangog as a servant), another had issues with X-Man and the Hulk (X-Man Annual), and then there is Waid's Ka-Zar run which had Thanos struggle against Shanna and Ka-Zar.

So it was both.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@brucerogers: One of the Thanosi lost to a heavily amped Thor in Jurgens' run (while using Mangog as a servant), another had issues with X-Man and the Hulk (X-Man Annual), and then there is Waid's Ka-Zar run which had Thanos struggle against Shanna and Kazar.

So it was both.

I see.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: After Infinity Gauntlet Thanos was no longer a nihilist villain obsessed with getting macguffins to convince Mistress Death to love him and he became a reclusive farmer and explorer who would occasionally help Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe, as he learned that cosmic destruction and mystical macguffins won't help him.

The Ka-Zar and Thor stories that got retconned in Infinity Abyss not only regressed Thanos back into that type of villain but also made him dumber and one dimensional.

So i don't have issues with the retcon even though the Thanosi are pretty stupid villains.

If some up and coming writer would suddendly turn Magneto into a cackling maniac or turn Deadpool into a serious and bland Deathstroke wannabe (like when he was under Rob Liefeld) people would be calling BS and rightly so.

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His personality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6891767abb2
    deactivated-5c6891767abb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Josh Brolin is sexy actor

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

Mar-Vell92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deacon218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Always enjoyed Thanos because hes a methodically obssessed force of will when properly written, regardless of the gauntlet and his massive power; like a cosmic Doctor Doom. Always loved whenever he would show up, gauntlet or not, and just wreck heroes; and always having cool proclamations while doing so. Also dug his ying and yang relationship with Adam Warlock as well. Granted alot of this was based upon the Infinity Gauntlet series being the comics that officially made me a habitual fan as a kid; but always considered Thanos an iconic character...

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His personality.

Avatar image for th3_younggbucks
    Th3_YounggBucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Th3_YounggBucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Th3_YounggBucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.