Follow

Thanos

Character » Thanos appears in 1257 issues.

An Eternal with the Deviant gene, making him unique and extremely powerful, even amongst his own kind. Above all else, Thanos loves and worships Mistress Death. Few can equal his intelligence, strength, and ambition for power. Thanos has wielded the Cosmic Cube, the Infinity Gauntlet, and even the Heart of the Universe.

Thanos Discussion Thread - Thanos Vs Mistress Death Thanos #4 Preview

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

Hey guys this was originally just about a few issues of the latest thanos series, but since its been renewed and will be continuing I thought I will change it to a general thanos discussion thread , doesn't seem to actually be one in the vine which is surprising

It can be for all things thanos , films games comics anything related to the character

Starting from page 3 i will be doing a Battle of the week segment that will take place most weeks except the weeks of major thanos news or events such as new issues of the comic out or ogn , even things like film appearances

Contents

Issue 9 Commentary *Spoilers* Post 88

The first Battle of the week Unworthy Thor vs Weakened Thanos on Post 102- WINNER Thor

Second Battle of the Week Thanos with Destroyer Armour vs Odin on Post 185 - WINNER Odin

Issue 10 Commissueentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 240

Third Battle of the Week Infinity Watch vs Green Lantern Corps on Post 282 - WINNER Infinity Watch

Issue 11 Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 377

Issue 12 Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 467

Issue 13 Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 629

Issue 14 Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 944

Issue 15 Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 1118

Issue 16 Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 1247

Fourth Battle of the Week Thanos (Post Quarry) vs Mangog (Current) on post 1312 - WINNER Thanos

Thanos Legacy Commentary/Review *Spoilers* Post 1805

Below is a link for the epic CAV between @asgardianbrony: and @apex_pretador: be sure to vote

Thanos vs Odin CAV OPEN FOR VOTES CLOSED

Below is a link to my Thanos vs Jiren CAV between Myself (Cull_obsidian) and @animelegend68 VOTING NOW OPEN

THANOS VS JIREN CAV VOTING CLOSED

Heres a link to the Thanos vs Midora CAV between myself (Cull_Obsidian) and @shirso:

Thanos vs Midora CAV

Thread I made to discuss and show proof that the latest Starlin stories and the End are canon

The End is canon proof thread

Let me hear your views and thoughts about all things Thanos

No Caption Provided
    cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cosmic_reign

I think issue #7 was just to show us how weakened and depleted Thanos truly is currently. Maybe this adds to context on how he was one shotted by Glads, beaten by space rats, random space thugs, and of what's to come next.

Obviously, Thanos will play a key role in defeating Thane. I think Thanos and Eros will squash the difference and become faithful family again.

I'm interested in seeing what type of power level Thanos achieves once he's healed and his relationship with Death once Thane is defeated.

Well know imminently!!

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys with Thanos #8 coming out today I wanted to hear some of your thoughts about the events of the previous issue where hes completely depowered and getting weaker to the point the got bitten by a giant space rat that drew blood and in scenes the echo darksieds low moments, he trips and gets beaten by random aliens

Its a humanistic , humble and almost silent issue

Lets hear your thoughts

Scans coming soon

I think issue #7 was just to show us how weakened and depleted Thanos truly is currently. Maybe this adds to context on how he was one shotted by Glads, beaten by space rats, random space thugs, and of what's to come next.

Obviously, Thanos will play a key role in defeating Thane. I think Thanos and Eros will squash the difference and become faithful family again.

I'm interested in seeing what type of power level Thanos achieves once he's healed and his relationship with Death once Thane is defeated.

Well know imminently!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
    deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why the hell are they weakening him so damn much? What is the point?

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
    deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved that issue. The only problem is the end. I thought it was good, but I would have preferred the did it in issue #8 instead of this one.

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cosmic_reign

Issue #8 gets very interesting...

It's the climax or turning point of the story arc involving plot and mysterious entities!!

--Good read

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmic_reign: Yeah your right , it added by showing tha os bet bloodied by nebula and having an infected arm

This shows just how weak the illness and thane has made him

Yeah I am interested as well , and the new entities , the cosmic coven look interesting, looking forward to see how they repower thanos or even give him a.power upgrade

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be nice if this whole series has a lasting impact in how he is characterized in the future. Its all for nought if the next writer is just going to write him like its Infinity all over again which is sort of what Infinity did.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cull_Obsidian
    brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can't say I am a fan of it, but at least they are going through the effort of explaining he was depowered in the first place. And seeing him in a vulnerable position kinda does add more depth to the character.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, they don't make Elders of the Universe like they use to. Nebula took down the Champion with a nad shot lol. I think Lemire had to weaken Thanos otherwise it would be month in month out of him rolling thru the opposition.

Lemire contract has expired and he has expressed his relief he is leaving Marvel. The book sells well so I guess they will have to be bringing in a new team soon?

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: that's a good point , hopefully there's a new team, Deodato has been replaced by Peralta , and I must say I am liking his art and design of thanos a lot, even more so the Deodatos art.

Also true about champion being nerfed, he's an elder and got hurt by nedula

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucerogers: scans up now , it really does put him in a vulnerable position, I'm going to do a darkseid thanos tripping/beat by randoms comparison thread, issue 7reminded me of those darkseid low showings

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 morpheus_  Moderator

Keith Giffen proved how you can write Thanos on a monthly basis without having to weaken him to the point of impotence. But you know, that Thanos was fighting sentient cosmic cubes as worthy opposition, not the giant rat of Sumatra.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I agree , and galactus, fallen one and hunger

But I'm enjoying this series , hopefully there's a big payoff

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: thats true hopefully it provides a new status quo, that new writers can use and add to the character

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 morpheus_  Moderator

@cull_obsidian: Jim Starlin wrote the first 6 issues where Thanos encounters Galactus and Hunger, the Fallen One was indeed during Giffen's tenure in issues #7-12.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Yeah thats true, of course yeah I didnt think about who wrote what lol I was just saying the powerful entities he faced during the series ?

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Amendment50

@spambot said:

It would be nice if this whole series has a lasting impact in how he is characterized in the future. Its all for nought if the next writer is just going to write him like its Infinity all over again which is sort of what Infinity did.

I agree. This is an opportunity for Thanos to show some character growth but you just can't expect that kind of thing with a comic book

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendment50: on the most part your right , but comics can be brilliant and in depth stories and have many developments and philosophical messages

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cull_obsidian: Sure. But for a character that is repeatedly used among a number of different writers you can't expect any consistent character arcs

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@amendment50: very true , which is why jim starlinis the best and most consistent thanos writer, as opposed to bendis

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

Agreed.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: I agree to I really hope it adds something lasting to the mythos of thanos

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By del_torro

So... Depowered and mortal thanos gets beaten up by low level thugs and a giant rat, but can survive going into a black hole?

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks very interesting so far. :)

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cosmic_reign

So... Depowered and mortal thanos gets beaten up by low level thugs and a giant rat, but can survive going into a black hole?

Can't possibly make out what was being narrated but perhaps the cosmic coven granted them entrance..??..

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: can only put it down to being a portal more then an actual Blackwood as starfox also survived

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmic_reign: have to read it backwards, but That's a very good point , the witches of infinity could have granted him passage

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a cool read anyway, in the page with the three witches, I think there was a dead celestial under them

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian:

LOL

I swore up and down it was some kind of enchantment or something considering they were witches...

That's some Exorcist type $h!t

Thnx hah!!

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: Yeah I saw that , although I thought celestials are just energy under the armour ? But I saw a skull on the dead body

@cosmic_reign: Lol yeah took me a while to figure it out , have to read it backwards from bottom right to left lol

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

Anyone think its a good idea if I turn this into a thanks series discussion thread ?

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, since the series will continue in legacy, and even has a new writer from #13

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@del_torro: Yeah I just read about that, really glad its continuing ? so much potential in his stories

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cull_Obsidian: a new writer is coming in though, so not sure what to expect.

I'm curious about what they'll do with him with Infinity War coming up, I feel an attack on earth would be too repetitive...

I'm really looking forward to the fight between repowered Thanos and Phoenix Thane, I'm interested in knowing thanos power level compared to the Phoenix (Phoenix Jean will be fighting Galactus in generations next month, so I'd like to draw a comparison).

Also, has there been any appearance of Proxima Midnight since her death in Unworthy Thor #5? I feel Corvus, Proxima and Black dwarf will all be brought back, with Infinity War coming up, I'd really grown fond of Proxima and black Swan together, would like to see them back.

Speaking of Unworthy Thor #5, what deal did Thanos make with Hela? It hasn't been resolved at all.

The timeline is confusing, did unworthy Thor #5 happen before the beginning of the Thanos series? Was her kiss what made him sick? I doubt since she wanted his help. Will it be touched on after this current arc and will it tie into future the books?

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@del_torro: Changed the thread to a thanos discussion thread :D

a new writer is coming in though, so not sure what to expect,

Yeah Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw , same hopefully It will be good

I'm curious about what they'll do with him with Infinity War coming up, I feel an attack on earth would be too repetitive...

Hehe Will this do ? Thanos graphic novel

I'm really looking forward to the fight between repowered Thanos and Phoenix Thane, I'm interested in knowing thanos power level compared to the Phoenix (Phoenix Jean will be fighting Galactus in generations next month, so I'd like to draw a comparison).

Here it says he is still empowered , anyway it will be a great fight , wow jean vs galactic , what issue will that be in ?

Also, has there been any appearance of Proxima Midnight since her death in Unworthy Thor #5? I feel Corvus, Proxima and Black dwarf will all be brought back, with Infinity War coming up, I'd really grown fond of Proxima and black Swan together, would like to see them back.

I don't think so haven't heard that she came back, yeah absolutely, they will be in infinity war so they will want to capitalise on them , also in thanos #1 corvus uses his blade to stab himself , his soul or essence is in the blade so hopfully it means he can come back somehow, yeah proxies is a great character, so is black swan , I quite liked to see a fusion of the full obsidian (black order) and the cabal , which tbh was the cabal , but take out namor and add ultimate reed

Speaking of Unworthy Thor #5, what deal did Thanos make with Hela? It hasn't been resolved at all.

The timeline is confusing, did unworthy Thor #5 happen before the beginning of the Thanos series? Was her kiss what made him sick? I doubt since she wanted his help. Will it be touched on after this current arc and will it tie into future the books?

Not sure about what's happening with hela maybe to set up thanos in Thor ragnorok , hopefully this helps

From letters page on unworthy Thor #5
    From letters page on unworthy Thor #5

Also it was last death that made him sick , was stated by her in thanos #6

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I've got to say is it's gonna be a great few years to be a thanos fan :)

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: Absolutely, with the news of a new jim starlin thanos comic coming out and his current series continuing, not to mention thanos in Infinity war , we are being spoilt lol

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian: I know. I smile down at all of the miserable Thor and hulk fans, but then I remember that I am also a Thor and hulk fan. Though things are also looking up for them in the future it seems.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys new Starlin Thanos book announced

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/new-thanos-graphic-novel-by-jim-starlin-announced-1888916/

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamTRMM

I don't think the Thonos series are anywhere as good as it can be. Supporting cast is pretty meh and the whole issue with Phoenix and Lady Death is illdefined. The fact that 3 different titles used Phoenix at the time without any consideration doesn't help either, but that's a general Marvel editorial nonsense these days more than anything else. I just find the whole "depowered" trope an annoying and repetitive plot device told so many times it isn't interesting anymore. And Lemire presented no worthy development to convince me otherwise.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@adamtrmm: I do agree , while I do like them are are an interesting read , they don't really show case him in they way starlin intended , hes not just a brute with ideas of power and genocide

He us actually more like an esoteric scholar of the marvel universe and wants to understand mysteries, to this day no one write thanos like jim starlin , every other story that starlin hasn't done just doesn't feel like thanos , the dialogue just isn't correct .

Yeah I get your points about the depowered troupe and over use of phoenix force , but I actually hoped it would be better for thanos at the moment as it will showcase his intellect and actual fighting skill rather then brute strength , where was his shields or tp against the imperial guard?

So far its left a lot to be desired, but with the news of a new thanos story by starlin (check out the link on post 42)

We will at least some more adequately written thanos

And also just announced at sdcc the current thanos run will be continuing past issue 12 when lemire leaves , a new team of Donny cates and Geoff Shaw will take over , the image I saw was of thanos standing in front of galactus

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian:

To me there should be some middle ground between Stralin's and "regular" Thanos. With Bendis never touching the character ever again lol Hickman's Thanos was all destructing nihilist with overblown ego as evident from his final "performance" against Doom... or maybe there was something more to it since it seemed to be quite nonsensical. But this is consistent with Hickman's Doom wank I guess, Cyclops made no sense either when he was pitted against Doom as well in Secret Wars. Anyway, Starlin's Thanos at times seems to be much more benevolent than he should, at the same time when other writers give him this one note villain characterization it doesn't work for me as well. I think Keith Giffen got the character right, he has it all in him, but then it's quite some time that I read his solo so I may be interpreting.

On paper, Thanos and Phoenix sounds amazing, but again I still haven't seen any indication of a good story. And it's already too late for a climactic ending because I simply lost interest. It's the same problem I had with Magneto's solo which happened to be with him being depowered. It simply wasn't worth it and story never got into more complex angles I want from such story. Just like I wasn't interested in Mags using MGH and taking out fodder, I'm not interested in Thanos eating rats and taking out fodder. Magneto is a genius and the best way out of his depowerment is MGH? The same thing is here like you just said, so OK, Thanos is cursed and dying, but what about his amazing tech? What about his most dangerous weapon, his mind? Where are the extravaganzas, wild ideas and established Marvel cosmology that were always integral with Thanos? I just don't get these writers nowadays.

Well, let's see what happens then.

I googled Shaw's art, his pencils are fine, but like with Deodato whose art has been diminished since he works with the same colorist who consistently cannot handle his pencils, we'll wait and see.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: 100% agree on never letting bendis near thanos again

Yeah him being brash against doom didn't really make sense, I mean what did he really achieve ? Griffin in the last half of thanos vol 1 was great, actually felt like thanos , so did thanos in cosmic powers

I'm.still holding out for it all to be good , ive enjoyed it so.far tho , its different to see thanos like that and vulnerable and make you almost feel sorry.for him

Hopefully with a new team ir will be great although I am really loving the art by paralta if thats how you spell it, prefered it to deodato, stalin with paralta would be great

Exactly my point , where are all.his tech like sanctuary ships and bases , like the nameless planet ? Why would he be wondering around eating rats like a space hobo , if he has lost his power he should go on a grand adventure and reclaim his power and then some for good measure

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@apex_pretador: What do you think on the news of thanos vol 2 continuing and the announcement of starlin doing another thanos ogn ?

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New poster of infinity war from SDCC 2017 Featuring thanos and the black order

http://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-poster-thanos-black-order-sdcc/

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@jaycool2: @earthsmightiest: @brucerogers: @spambot: @morleericks: @morpheus_: @amendment50: @heirtothekingdom: @lord_spectrum: @cosmic_reign: @del_torro: @phillip33: @adamtrmm: @apex_predator:

Hey guys a few bits of news recently, so ill round it all up here

I gather you all have heard about his appearance at d23 and sdcc , one of the questions coming out of that was why isn't he wearing his armour and what's with his more casual look well in an interview one of the directors says its a philosophical and symbolic decision as he does t need his "warlord" armour when he aquires the power of the gauntlet

I think its a bit of a cop out as I would have loved to see him in all his gear , although hopefully he will at least start the film in it otherwise what's the point in all the cameos in the armour and the figures etc.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2017/07/23/avengers-infinity-war-director-explains-thanos-more-casual-spiritual-costume

Another piece of news is that in a link in my previous post the thanos poster with the black order has been released

Finally its been announced that the current thanos series will be continuing past issue 12 but with a different creative team consisting of Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw, just to top it all off for thanos fans it was announced at sdcc that jim starlin and Alan Davis will be working of a new thanos ogn "Thanos: The infinite siblings" maybe something about the black order to tie in with the film ?

Be sure to check back here weds/thurs for info and scans regarding issue 9 of Thanos where he goes into the 'God quarry'

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.