k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Why you got to pent on my rage, Leo?"

The Ninja Turtles are finally back home, except now that New York has been taken over by the Kraang and Shredder, it doesn't quite feel like home anymore. Instead, they're in enemy territory and, as expected, that leads to a whole lot of action as they run across the rooftops in an effort to locate Karai. From Ivan Steranko and Anton Zeck fighting the heroes in a half shell to even a melee with Oroku Saki, the directing makes sure these fights are fast-paced and incredibly fun.

Ivan Steranko has mostly remained behind the scenes, but this episode gives us a chance to see whether he can put that stature to use in a brawl. There's a sequence with a hammer and sickle that had me cracking up and man, watching him fire away at the mutants and then throw down in hand-to-hand combat was a blast. I like how he's formidable, but not too formidable to the point where you're left wondering how he could ever be defeated if he happened to ever receive any upgrades. He holds his own, but it was clear he needed some extra tricks if he wanted to get the edge on the heroes. Meanwhile, Anton is a good dose of silly fun. Watching him bust a move and fire hip blasts at the Ninja Turtles may not be something everyone enjoys, but it kept me smirking and you can't help but love how enthusiastic J.B. Smoove seems to be about the role. And the Ninja Turtles blocking his blasts with their weapons? Badass. It doesn't end there for action with the villainous do, either. They have a brief encounter with Fishface and Rahzar! While we don't see much of Ivan vs. Rahzar, watching Anton and Xever go at it was awesomely entertaining.

As if all of those action sequences weren't enough, we also have an extremely well choreographed and intense fight between the Ninja Turtles and the Shredder. It's a fight you know the mutants probably won't win, but you can't help but root for them every single time and watching them attempt to bring down such a skilled and formidable opponent never loses its appeal. Sure, Leo's initial threat didn't feel all that intimidating and Shredder's final line gave me an unintentional laugh, but it was still a jaw-dropping fight scene. Plus, setting it at the docks is a refreshing change of pace. I know we've been there once or twice before (it's not the first time they've faced Oroku in the setting!), but considering we've seen so many battles take place in the streets and across the rooftops, having it in a different environment adds a little more weight to the situation.

No Caption Provided

It's easy to forget the "ninja" part of this franchise when so much time is spent in direct fight scenes and comedy, so it's always greatly appreciated when an episode takes a wee bit of time to focus on stealth. It's not a very long sequence, but observing the ninjas as they sneak past the heavily guarded streets of New York was cool. (It's a little odd the Kraang don't interfere when there's a giant fight with explosions, but whatever.) And do you know what else was cool? How they made their debut at the docks. Do I care that was the only use of lightning and there didn't seem to be a storm afterwards? No, because that shot was simply pure fan service. If someone can make a high quality screenshot and share it in the comments, I will be forever in your debt. There are other minor criticisms (how can the cockroach be on camera if it's the last one with a camera?), but honestly, they're nitpicking and don't take away from the overall quality of the episode. It's a little odd Shredder isn't utilizing Tiger Claw, but perhaps he needs someone to hold down the fort. You know, just in case.

I don't have any major criticisms about the episode, but the emotional beats not really feeling all that impactful and some of the comedy not delivering (though I'm sure kids will love it!) prevent this one from feeling as epic and phenomenal as the other episodes that have received a perfect 5-star rating. Even though it's dealing with a heavy subject and I do appreciate Shredder's brief displays of emotion, there wasn't really a lot of heart or compelling material in here. That said, it's still a great episode that offers a ton of exciting action sequences and ends on a note that'll have you beyond thrilled for what's to come. The previews for this episode teased the fact someone's getting mutated and, if you've been following news about the show or even just paying attention during the new intro, odds are you know who's going to take a dip in some mutagen. Despite knowing that, it still plays out in such a terrific way and it ends the episode with some major fan service. I love how they've taken such a familiar thing from the franchise and brought it back with a whole new dynamic. Who else really wants to watch the next episode right now?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY!!!!!!!

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ostyo: I was surprised how they did that, honestly. I half expected they'd be transformed by an accident, and when they were captured I thought "Is he going to just kill them?" The scene was great, though :)

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spitfirepanda: Yeah, I hope Anton and Ivan keep their weapons from now on though.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

About time!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm still hoping for an Usagi Yojimbo episode. I know, there are rights issues but they can work something out. They already established alternate universes in the show.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

After 2 seasons of threatening to kill Fishface and Rahzar, Shredder has given up and told them he would let Tiger Claw do it. I thought that was funny. Meaningless threats tend to be rampant in TMNT since viewers know that characters are unlikely to kill each other. Leo's threat at the docks seemed like something he would never say since...he has never killed and is afraid to do so.

I liked the action in this episode though. TMNT seems to be quickly jumping back into martial arts and well choreographed action. My only complaint is that Anton was being TOO egregious will his fighting style. I hope they tone Anton down a bit in future episodes because I like seeing diverse styles only if the scenes aren't annoying.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lurkero: That's way I liked the 2003 series Shredder, because he actually killed people, mostly off screen but he still did it and the things he would do to Baxter Stockman were just brutal.

Loading Video...

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By w0nd

@lurkero said:

After 2 seasons of threatening to kill Fishface and Rahzar, Shredder has given up and told them he would let Tiger Claw do it. I thought that was funny. Meaningless threats tend to be rampant in TMNT since viewers know that characters are unlikely to kill each other. Leo's threat at the docks seemed like something he would never say since...he has never killed and is afraid to do so.

I liked the action in this episode though. TMNT seems to be quickly jumping back into martial arts and well choreographed action. My only complaint is that Anton was being TOO egregious will his fighting style. I hope they tone Anton down a bit in future episodes because I like seeing diverse styles only if the scenes aren't annoying.

I actually have no idea why the turtles wouldn't kill. They are ninja, they have no reason not too other then it's a cartoon show. They don't even hit the Krang, they only attack their robot bodies lol

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero: I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lurkero said:

I get that and I brought up idle threats in an older review (I think it's the one in which Shredder fights them at the docks!), but I can understand why he wouldn't in this case. Considering a possible conflict with the Kraang, I'm guessing Shredder thinks he needs all of the troops he can get. As for Ivan/Anton, I'm thinking he views mutation as a fate worse than death and he wants them to suffer the same way his daughter currently has to. I'm wondering if they'll now work for Oroku (out of fear) or if they'll remain as their own duo.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheLurker
    @k4tzm4n said:

@thelurker said:

I get that and I brought up idle threats in an older review (I think it's the one in which Shredder fights them at the docks!), but I can understand why he wouldn't in this case. Considering a possible conflict with the Kraang, I'm guessing Shredder thinks he needs all of the troops he can get. As for Ivan/Anton, I'm thinking he views mutation as a fate worse than death and he wants them to suffer the same way his daughter currently has to. I'm wondering if they'll now work for Oroku (out of fear) or if they'll remain as their own duo.

Me too. I'm sort of hoping they escape from Shredder's grasp and become threats of their own. But I'm not sure if they will seeing as they now don't really have any real motivation to fight the turtles unless the Shredder tells them to. I just feel that Steranko, being a serious, no-nonsense powerhouse would be a cool threat. And if he becomes another lackey for Shredder, he will suffer the Dogpound/Rahzar effect (starting out threatening, but quickly being demoted to nuisance at best).

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

I get that Anton and Ivan being mutated would have likely been a fate worse than death, but when I consider that Anton and Ivan are basically mercenaries, being forced to work for Shredder isn't that different from what they currently do. They don't seem to have lives outside of criminal activity.

Being mutants might make normal relationships in the future different though. I am predicting that Karai will gain control of her powers and be able to morph into a snake at will. That doesn't sound TOO bad. Might actually be cool.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the ending

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackLegRaph

Great episode. The numbers just keep on growing.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Was Steranko always this stereotypically-Russian, or am I just now noticing because he's never had so many lines before?

Either way, that 3-team climax was probably my favorite fight scene in the show yet!

@chaos911 said:

Love the ending

Hells yeah. Rise, Beebop and Rocksteady!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.