k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Hey, man! You leave TV out of this!"

The Ninja Turtles' time in Northampton has been good fun, but the most common complaint I see from my fellow fans is that it hasn't been moving the story forward. Well, "Vision Quest" focuses on making sure the team realizes they must head back to the city, but first, they need to make sure they're ready for the threats that are waiting for them. What follows is a story that draws elements from previous incarnations of the franchise (e.g. Mirage and the first movie) while also doing a whole lot of new and very cool stuff.

We've seen the team focus on their technique and stealth, but they're still just teenagers. They may have lessons from time to time about their personality flaws, but it doesn't often stick and they've been out of touch with nature. So, after a comedic and clever take on something that happened in the original comic series, Leonardo realizes he and his team must improve. Yes, we've seen each of them attempt to overcome their flaws before (Raph is too hotheaded, Mikey is too lighthearted, etc.), but having each embark on their own vision quest was a creative and thoroughly awesome way to focus on each character without weighing down the story's pacing. It really is impressive how each character had their own arc in this episode.

Yes, having each suddenly realize what they must do at almost the same time is a very standard beat in the plot, but that doesn't take away from how satisfying these developments are. Witnessing the characters -- in their very cool new costumes -- face their biggest challenges and realize what must be done to overcome is seriously cheerworthy. I've watched the episode twice now and the handling of Raph's scene gave me goosebumps both times. He's not my favorite Ninja Turtle, but man, that moment is handled masterfully.

No Caption Provided

I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say this vision quest gives the show a chance to bring back some familiar faces and they're used very well. One character has this incredibly badass shot where he emerges from a cloud of smoke and, if I was watching this as a child, it would definitely make me afraid of the character. This is one of those episodes where you can see just how much creativity this team brings to the show, but they never go too out-there with this one. There's just enough personality put into it to give us some imaginative shots and only a handful of appropriately trippy moments.

This show tends to have a lot of fun and keeps the tone light, but this episode offered a great balance. There was just enough humor scattered throughout. It either had me completely absorbed in the story or managed to sneak a good laugh in there. Oh, and they had Sean Astin drop a The Goonies reference. How great is that?

I have one very minor criticism about this episode. I understand Donatello's lesson, but it's a little odd he defeated his obstacle by knocking it off a cliff when we know this threat is capable of flight. Still, that's a trivial point and the victory served the theme well.

"Vision Quest" had pretty much everything I could want from a TMNT episode. There was a great focus on the differences between the brothers, enough humor to keep us smiling without taking away from the more serious tone, and it dished out plenty of thrilling action while also moving the story forward. It's time to head back to New York and this episode did a mighty good job building the hype for what's to come.

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
    MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1 out of 5 stars?

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to wait until the turtles made it back to NYC, but I'll take your recommendation and check out this episode.

I just want stuff to move forward.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

does this show get somewhat serious? im from the older generation but would like to give this show a chance as i grew up on the turtles . but it seems a little too silly from the episodes i caught .

also they kinda do look cool in the pic in the article

BallsMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa: It can get silly, but that's part of it's charm. TMNT has never been at it's best when it's overly serious, but this series finds the exact right balance of silly and humorous and dark and action packed. It's primarily a kids show, so it's gotta be lighthearted at it's core, but it doesn't forget the Turtles roots and older fanbase, either.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@soa: There are some very serious moments/episodes in the show. This is one of the best shows on TV which perfectly balances comedy and seriousness. It is worthy of bearing the Turtles manacle.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I originally dismissed the show. This review made me regret that decision

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked their use of Rahzar in those Mikey scenes!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damnit! I missed it again.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CitizenJP

I'm still trying to get used to Seth Green replacing Jason Biggs as Leo. Everytime Leo talks now I'm just like "uuuggghhh" lol. I know I'm over reacting a little but I think I'll get used to it eventually. Love the show so much.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

That was one of the coolest and most badass episodes ever.

And damn, that f*cking ending!

This. Just... this. I think this might be my favorite episode yet.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By SoA

@rixec: @ballsmonkey: thanks! im not expecting a dark show like batman tas , just hoping its more teen titans than teen titans go...

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dig their costumes in this episode. I can't wait for the new action figures.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NightFang3

@ostyo said:

Damn it! I missed it again.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I really liked this episode, it was a lot better than the last one which was just meh. Also the redesigns are pretty great and I hope they stick around as they remind me of the Chaste.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

Finally, they go back to NYC. I liked the first few episodes of them in the country, but most of them have been boring of late.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Finally some progress on the main story and the Turtles returning to the city. I have liked most of the Northampton episodes but it has slowed the pace and direction of the series massively. At least now the plot can move back to the Kraang/Foot Invasion. Not to mention that the lessons, the ninja costume designs, actually referencing ninja teachings and the inspiration from the original TMNT movie made this an excellent episode IMO.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

does this show get somewhat serious? im from the older generation but would like to give this show a chance as i grew up on the turtles . but it seems a little too silly from the episodes i caught .

also they kinda do look cool in the pic in the article

What generation are you? 80's or the 2003?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.