k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"My sweet little turtle tush!"

The heroes in a half shell are back! No, they're not heading to the city just yet and that's sure to disappoint some viewers, but given the situation (e.g. they think Master Splinter is dead, Leo's hurt, New York is overwhelmed), it's understandable why they aren't exactly rushing back. So, while some part of me is a little disappointed they aren't at least discussing the situation, I also understand why they're spending so much time away from the city. Besides, these "threat-of-the-week" episodes really allow the team to unleash some crazy fun. And yup, this week is no exception! Oh, and it's worth noting the latest dose of mutant mayhem is written by Greg Weisman!

First and foremost, it's cool they're following-up right after the last episode's ending. Having some sense of continuity instead of these feeling like very scattered stories was a nice touch and something I appreciate. There's no substantial or lasting connection here (the world needs a Dr. Cluckingsworth and Ice Cream Kitty interaction), but it's still neat they did that.

It should come as no surprise by now, but the show once again finds a way to make Michelangelo all kinds of adorable and funny. He's not a big part of the episode, but he's absolutely a memorable one. From annoying Donatello during the initial tests to his expert rock climbing, this is another episode that confirmed this incarnation of Mikey is amazingly cute and hysterical. It sure does offer a nice balance when you have a twisted mutant trying to eat everyone.

I really enjoyed Michael Chang's directing; he handled the action especially well. Even if it's a comedic scene of someone trying to take a bite out of their friend, it's presented in a way that'll make you laugh while also throwing you right into the situation (from both perspectives!) to let you see just how messed up and intense the encounter has become, even if it is technically a lighthearted scene. The brief aerial sequence is also a total joy. It was easily the most "epic" scene and the score really, really sold it. Plus, seeing yet another view of this new setting was appreciated. This season could have been one scene after another of just the woods, but they've getting good use out of the environment and have offered so many different tones. They're really giving us a nice tour as they explore this place. I want to go back to the city, but it's great they're finding ways to give this setting new life.

No Caption Provided

There's also a sparring sequence -- something I can never get enough of -- and I love how that was handled. It was frenetic and fun. Their strikes were impressively fast and the shots allowed us to appreciate their skill instead. The score felt a little unusual (is that the first time they've had a techno-ish song?) but it matched the fast-paced skirmish. There's a lot of chaos going on in this episode, but one of my favorite shots has to be a more peaceful moment of two characters standing on the front porch (or whatever the front of the house is called) and we're treated to a relaxing shot of the scenery. It's a nice moment of peace after all of the madness. It doesn't last long, but it's soothing.

The new mutant isn't something I'd want to see again (I'm assuming the cliffhanger is just there for a good laugh and there's no cement plans for the creature's future, but hey, maybe they'll make me eat my words), but that's pretty much because it seems like they did everything they could with it in this episode. It's not something that can be reasoned with; it's simply trying to survive and that obviously means it needs to eat. Like, a lot. There's a ton of exciting action scenes and, once things get going, the episode rarely slows down. It does a good job balancing character-driven material with Leonardo and April and hectic fun with everyone else. It was a little surprising to see they could litter the "chimera nest" with so many skeletons -- you know, since this is an all ages show -- but that was a twisted, dark and very creepy surprise. This thing hasn't been around for very long, but man, it's been active and it must be frightening to live nearby. As for the mutant's design, yeah, it's pretty much as creepy and odd as you'd expect it to be. The presentation of its "origin" was quite cool, too. That said, April's link seemed inconsistent when it came to her experience the creature's pain and, totally honest here, I'm still feeling a little confused about her abilities as a whole, but that's a minor criticism.

Even though there's a weird creature flying around and attempting to eat the main characters, this one is really all about giving Leo and April some of the spotlight. And you know what? They deserve it. Since being injured (and changing voice actors), it feels like the group's leader hasn't taken a pivotal role and, seeing as they're making so many changes with April, the chance to flesh her out even more and show just how much her training has paid off is always welcome. We don't often get to see these two bond, but this little adventure was a fine way of pushing both of them and that helped illustrate just how strong they are. Even when they're unable to walk or see, that won't stop them from doing everything they can to help the ones they love. It's a good way of showing their drive while also giving us just a little more insight into them. And their final moment's legitimately heartwarming. Brief, but still emotionally effective. They spell out a good chunk of their adventure, but there's one subtle thing I really appreciated -- something some viewers may not catch right away. When the group is in a tough spot, a few of them say they didn't bring a certain piece of gear. Leonardo? He's got it on him because, as the leader and the tactician, he knows to always be prepared for anything and it pays off in a huge way. It was definitely one of the more memorable bits.

Is "Eyes of the Chimera" technically a "filler" episode? Yeah, I guess it is. It's a fun adventure that's full of entertaining action, character, and has more than a few laughs, but it seems like nothing significant has changed (aside from possibly Leo's condition). Still, it's well-written, directed incredibly well, and overall, it's a very good time. It's not as out-there as some of the other episodes (which may appeal to some of you) and it doesn't throw any big surprises our way, but that's not going to stop you from enjoying it. Even when they're not moving the plot forward all that much, they sure know how to remind me why I love this show. This may be a series that's meant to win over young kids and create a whole new generation of TMNT fans, but they always make sure us older fans will have a blast watching it as well.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@theacidskull: Apparently. I'm totally upset now! D: I didn’t know it was back yet.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lurkero

Nickelodeon is making it difficult to keep up with TMNT because of lack of advertising and inconsistent scheduling.

Luckily they are still in the forest and I am waiting until they are back in NYC to care.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

Back to Sundays at 11...with barely any notice. Thanks Nick.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Huh if it hadn't been for this review, I wouldn't have found out about this new episode of TMNT or that the show was back on now. As it is, another solid "threat of the week" episode with some welcome character and plot progress on Leo and his condition. But the pacing of the show not getting back to New York is really starting to show consequently.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Is it just me, or have all the villains this season been...

Loading Video...

Well, at least Leo's finally back on his feet.

comicbook_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By comicbook_fan

I still cannot get past the voice change for Leonardo. Seth Green is a fine actor in his own right. However, his voice simply doesn't fit the character. Every time Leonardo speaks in the show now it's like nails on a chalkboard.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Bad episode...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.