Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1195 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

TMNT on Nickelodeon

Smoking_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Smoking_Gun

As someone who grew up on the original TNMT cartoon and avoided so many of the less than good attempts at creating another cartoon show I was a bit skeptical when Nickelodeon was creating a new TMNT cartoon series. However after giving the show a look I rather quickly came to enjoy it. I felt the main characters had been treated with the proper respect they deserved. The writers were able to update the characters to make them relevant to current times and still have the easily identifiable characteristics that made them both recognizable and loved. What made the show a true pleasure to watch was the writing, which I thought was fantastic. Good plot lines were created to form brand new stories and borrowed from story lines found in the previous incarnations, both comic books and cartoon series. It was great to see some of my favorite characters make appearances on the small screen once more or even for the first time.

Now after 5 seasons of TMNT (one even titled Tales of the TMNT) the current series is seemingly coming to an end. It is however being replaced with another 2D animated series. From the little I have read and the one trailer I have watched I do not expect this new series to hold the same place in my heart, in fact I am not sure for how long I will give this new series a chance. From what I have seen they are drastically changing all of the characters, Ralph will now be leader, Leo is not the serious character he has always been, and April will be completely different from any other version we have seen, just to name a few of the changes I am not looking forward to; not to mention they art style is not one I am a fan of. The current series has been one that I feel could be enjoyed by people of all ages (at the least its bearable to adults who never enjoyed TMNT). Given the new art style and the little of the story that has been shared, it seems this show is very much geared for a much younger audience. Now to be fair this new series is being called RIse of the TMNT, and is supposed to be an exploration of the slightly younger years of the TMNT; so a change in the characteristics does make sense as they will not have grown to the characters we know and love.

I am not quite sure why this change was made, but I am somewhat surprised by the change. WIth the potential to tell so many other stories using the current incarnations of the characters the change is rather puzzling. But only time will tell how good or bad this show will be and where it ends up ranking in the pantheon of TMNT lore. I would like to hear other fans opinions of the treatment of TMNT by Nickelodeon.

Smoking_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been catching up with season 5, man what a season this has been. The most recent episodes I watches were 11,12 and 13 which are TMNT meets Mad Max and man, what awesome episodes they are. I love the rolls assigned to each of the Turtles and how we ended up meeting each one. It is also pretty cool to see them as adults and no longer teenagers.

I loved season 4 with the Triceratons and the Super Shreader story line, but season 5 may be my favorite. Though we are just getting small vignettes of unrelated stories they are great stories that are so much fun to watch. I love that it feels like I am reading the Tales of the TMNT stories written for Mirage. It also seems that the writers for the show really made sure to go back to the source material and incorporate the themes, characters and stories into the current series. Whether the young viewers know where this material comes from, the older fans sure do; and it is greatly appreciated that such elements are being incorporated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.