Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1195 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Episode 1.10 'Panic in the Sewers' Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Topping last week's episode 'The Gauntlet' is going to be a huge obstacle for this show. While this week's episode, 'Panic in the Sewers,' doesn't manage to become my new favorite, it's yet another solid entry in the first season of this surprisingly superb program.

Whoa there, Radbrad! Looks like someone has been juicing. It appears Chris Bradford's mutation has made him grow a significant deal over the past few weeks and the result is a refreshing take on the character. He was already an intimidating powerhouse, but now he's a team buster capable of swinging vans like they're baseball bats!

The Turtles definitely lucked out this time and it makes me wonder how they'll handle him in the future, especially if they begin to include more Foot Ninjas and possibly even Xever. Speaking of Xever, I'm very curious to see how his mutation will turn him into a threat. Shredder knows the Turtles are in the sewers, so maybe he'll have Xever swim around New York's oh-so-lovely underground.

As usual, Mikey delivers the laughs. While the water balloons prank isn't up to par with his other antics, it still put a smirk on my face. The real laughs came from some of the other banter, though. From arguing over a bad smoke bomb toss to April going "rogue," there was a good chunk of sharp writing scattered throughout this week's episode.

No Caption Provided

The dream sequence was a brilliant way to open the episode. The fight with Shredder was jaw-droppingly good (that combo on Raph was insane!) and the way it ended was impressively creative. The fear of Shredder humiliating the Turtles and decapitating Leo really helped us understand Splinter's immediate paranoia and the vastly increased pressure he placed on the team.

While this was a good episode, I do have some complaints. I felt as though the vehicle chase was a bit dragged out and not as thrilling as it could have been. The action in this show is always top-notch and a fast paced scene like that should of had me on the edge of my seat. Unfortunately, it didn't. Also, why'd they let April scout the top of the building? Once their pizza plan failed, why didn't they head to the rooftop themselves? After all, they're the ones effortlessly leaping across the New York City buildings on a daily basis. Meanwhile, how did Shredder not spot the girl wearing bright yellow? She was totally within his line of sight up there. Oh well.

Bradford's size also appeared to fluctuate at times. In the final scene he seemed much smaller, but I suppose that's understandable because it allows Shredder to appear far more intimidating. I wonder if Shredder will actually stand by his threat because we all know Dogpound is sure to eventually lose again. Shredder offing one of his minions would be a surprisingly dark and daring move for a kids show.

Oh, and that Purple Dragon guy (you know, the lanky one) is painfully dense. How many times do the Turtles need to embarrass him before he realizes he's completely outclassed? But hey, bad guys like him aren't exactly the brightest of the bunch.

'Panic in the Sewers' isn't one of the best episodes this season, but it's still a lot of fun and is sure to keep you laughing. One thing's for sure, even the "weakest" episodes are a blast and have me hooked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

As someone who has had very little experience of TMNT, would this series be a good place to start?

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mattwing87

I wish I was paying attention during this episode. I had it on in the background and not really watching it :(

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lurkero

Also, why'd they let April scout the top of the building? Once their pizza plan failed, why didn't they head to the rooftop themselves? After all, they're the ones effortlessly leaping across the New York City buildings on a daily basis. Meanwhile, how did Shredder not spot the girl wearing bright yellow? She was totally within his line of sight up there.

I did not like that scene either. Seems weird that she climbed to the top of the building when the turtles were already on the rooftops.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#4  Edited By pingclang

@guttridgeb said:

As someone who has had very little experience of TMNT, would this series be a good place to start?

Absolutely! This version is it`s own incarnation, but draws from many sources as well to create a great mix and great show. It would definitely be worthy of your time.

This was a weaker episode than what we have seen as of late but I still really enjoyed myself. The action in the series is practically breakneck and everything is so well done. What can not be said about this show. Great review.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mezmero

I agree with the complaints but I still think it was a good episode. The chase sequence just felt like they were selling a toy which is what cartoons are usually all about. How did they get that go-cart to the surface so quickly anyways? We know from the intro that the Turtle Van will eventually be introduced and I'm intrigued enough to see what crazy gizmos Donatello puts on this version. It's unfortunate that the marketing angle is still so transparent.

I'm liking the mutated version of Bradford though it seems a bit impossible for him to rely on stealth at his new size. The design kind of reminds me of Jyabura from One Piece who turns into a wolf man wearing martial arts attire. The real challenge is going to be making Xever intimidating in his current form. I also enjoy that the Foot clan ninjas are still completely mute even when being addressed.

The humor and personality of the show were the real stars of this episode. The psychological strain on both Splinter and the heroes in a half-shell made for very compelling viewing. I'm starting to become a fan of Leonardo's sci-fi show and I even noticed that a picture of Captain Ryan was his tPhone avatar when talking to April. I can't wait to see more of this great cartoon!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself

@guttridgeb said:

you could but I highly recommend the new IDW comic series and the original Mirage series which IDW is reprinting in color right now

Cole_Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Cole_Mercer

Is Shredder their only villain?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Cole_Mercer said:

Is Shredder their only villain?

Nope. There's also the Kraang (who has two minions along with the Foot Clan and Purple Dragons) and assorted mutations they encounter.

ivolution2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ivolution2k1

i hate dogpounds arm

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RoTheKid

Great review, Gregg! I totally agree with your assessment of the episode! Still a blast to watch even though it's not the best of the series! :)

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By xxxddd

@k4tzm4n: I don't see your name anywhere.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    "They defeated you with go carts and water balloons?!"-Shredder  Priceless.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@RoTheKid said:

Great review, Gregg! I totally agree with your assessment of the episode! Still a blast to watch even though it's not the best of the series! :)

Thanks!

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By modunhanul

Mikey saved the day. With a water balloon.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@guttridgeb said:

no.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

My favourite thing about this episode was the change in tone. There was still humour and action but Splinter's paranoia and the Turtles' fears of not being ready to face Shredder or Bradford added some great tension to the story. Great review Gregg!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@danhimself said:

@guttridgeb said:

you could but I highly recommend the new IDW comic series and the original Mirage series which IDW is reprinting in color right now

Awesome thanks, I'll have a look for the TPB :)

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mbecks14

I've really been enjoying this show! It's a lot of fun!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Deranged Midget

This was a pretty great episode in my opinion and a step up in maturity for the show. It maintained that loveable humour that I've grown to love over the season so far but added in a sense of urgency and seriousness when regarding Splinter's worries about the unpreparedness of the Turtles and the true danger Shredder poses.

Great review k4tz.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Still am having to get used to April being about as old as the Turtles in this case, but its a small nitpick. Otherwise, this show just is great. No real major complaints at all!

Nicodemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nicodemus

What sets the Shredder apart from most villains is excellent. He's the only one that gets to Splinter, psychologically and successfully. This is a VERY good show. I can't wait for next Saturday!

I think April being a teen as well fits into the format of the show. I was skeptical at first but you gotta love Donny's puppy dog crush on the girl! It fits well in character development.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Spideycap

Loved it. Other than Walking Dead, this might be my favorite show on TV right now.

PHATbaby_IZOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By PHATbaby_IZOD

This was my favorite of all the episodes yet for the following reasons:

1. It had The Shredder in it (and he actually fought, rather than sat and boss people around)

2. Mikey was totally Mikey and I lauged my butt off

3. The mutated henchmen were FINANNLY in a fight...well one of them was...

4. Go Carts...enough said.

I really love the comic book to cartoon feel of this show.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Preview for the next episode: http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/tmnt-111-clip.html?xid=TMNTfb

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.