Follow

Teen Titans

Team » Teen Titans appears in 2165 issues.

The Teen Titans are the premier team of young heroes in the DCU. Currently led by Damian Wayne, the team fights for the greater good and to recruit other young heroes like them.

Is New 52 Teen Titans worth reading?

• 54 results
    gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gettogaara

Okay, so I became a fan of the Teen Titans through the television show. I read their comics every once in a while but was generally more focused on Batman. I enjoy Lobdell's Red Hood and the outlaws so I decided to pick up the first volume of Teen Titans a few months ago. It wasn't the best but it wasn't bad either, I expected it to get better with time as the team grew. Unfortunately most of what I'm hearing is bad. Now that there's been seventeen issues, I'm just wondering whether it's worth continuing or if it's all downhill from the first couple of issues?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Outside_85

It's wobbling. The Culling was really bad, but after that was over with it sort of settled at a slightly better place. Then everything was sort of derailed again when Death of the Family hit it.

Despite the time passed, I haven't connected or grown a liking to any of the New 52 Teen Titans new or rewritten and I am saying this as a fan of the cartoon and the old incarnation.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Veshark

I haven't read it but the general consensus seems to be that it's one of the worst New 52 books.

If anything, the costume designs are definitely the worst of the reboot. They look more like a team of villains here...

Till this day I seriously have no idea how Bart's mohawk look passed approval....

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jesusdisciple001

Tim slept with two team mates in 1 issue, the chaste belle of DC slept with 2 girls; reboot it with a better writer who understands these characters also don't pick it up men.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Outside_85

@Veshark:Editor of the book was Bobbie Chase :) That said Bart doesn't actually have a mohawk in the book, it's pretty much like his old Impulse/kid Flash costume but this shot makes it look weird.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Veshark

@Outside_85 said:

@Veshark:Editor of the book was Bobbie Chase :) That said Bart doesn't actually have a mohawk in the book, it's pretty much like his old Impulse/kid Flash costume but this shot makes it look weird.

So it's just hair on top of his mask? I guess that makes it somewhat more tolerable.

But judging from the covers alone, I still don't like most of the outfits. The overabundance of red and black is hard on the eyes, Superboy looks like a salsa dance instructor, giving Robin some Falcon wings was silly, and Wonder Girl's outfit doesn't look superheroic at all. Bunker, smoke girl, and the Blackarachnia-looking thing just look like straight-up villains.

I know I sound quite whiny, but as a visual person, their costumes really irk me...

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By sethysquare

@Veshark said:

I haven't read it but the general consensus seems to be that it's one of the worst New 52 books.

If anything, the costume designs are definitely the worst of the reboot. They look more like a team of villains here...

Till this day I seriously have no idea how Bart's mohawk look passed approval....

No Caption Provided

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sethysquare

Just to reply, I think Teen Titans is fun and exciting and everyone should read it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Outside_85

@Veshark said:

@Outside_85 said:

So it's just hair on top of his mask? I guess that makes it somewhat more tolerable.

But judging from the covers alone, I still don't like most of the outfits. The overabundance of red and black is hard on the eyes, Superboy looks like a salsa dance instructor, giving Robin some Falcon wings was silly, and Wonder Girl's outfit doesn't look superheroic at all. Bunker, smoke girl, and the Blackarachnia-looking thing just look like straight-up villains.

I know I sound quite whiny, but as a visual person, their costumes really irk me...

Dont worry, I sound a lot worse :)

That said I agree there's too much red, black and yellow. But to point out, Superboy has never actually worn the cover outfit in the books, he's been stuck in the tron-suit mostly. And Cassandra...well you are spot on the money, it's not superheroic, it's a ancient suit of armor...and one thats connected to Trigon, so when it's fully activated it looks like this;

No Caption Provided
    Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Veshark

Yeah, everyone on the team still has either red or black in their costume. Those strong colors really give off an 'evil' impression, and it's pretty ugly seeing them all pose side-by-side on the covers. Even with Superboy's tron suit.

I guess linking the armor to Trigon makes some sense; it does look demonic. Looks like Ghost Rider and Spawn if they had a kid xD

jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jesusdisciple001

@sethysquare said:

Just to reply, I think Teen Titans is fun and exciting and everyone should read it.

Tim slept with both Cassie and Solstice..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

'nuff said.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sethysquare

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@sethysquare said:

tim slept with both cassie and solstice..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

'nuff said

uhm he slept with cassie and only made out with solstice because he is under control.

jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jesusdisciple001

Doesn't matter he still didn't need to do that to show he was being controlled by raven.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sethysquare

@jesusdisciple001: he was being controlled by someone else and when u are controlled by someone else you dont get to choose what you do.

jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jesusdisciple001

Yeah the writer does. >: )

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Outside_85

@sethysquare said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@sethysquare said:

tim slept with both cassie and solstice..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

'nuff said

uhm he slept with cassie and only made out with solstice because he is under control.

Or just Joker-induced crazy.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sethysquare

@Outside_85 said:

@sethysquare said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@sethysquare said:

'nuff said

Or just Joker-induced crazy.

I thought it was pretty clear its either trigon or dr light

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Outside_85

@sethysquare: While I give you that the scene layout could be read as it being Raven that's influencing one or both of them, I don't believe that's the case. For one I don't think DC or Lobdell actually wants one hero forcing two others to rape one another (and yes, thats what some people on CBR's WW and Batman board are calling it). Secondly I don't see what the point would be, like what does Raven or Trigon gain from two teenagers having sex? Unless the idea is to get Cassandra pregnant and out of the game for a few months? (which sounds like really, really bad fan fiction). Not really sure where you get the connection between Tim/Cassie and Light?

On the other hand, we do know Tim has been exposed to something thanks to the Joker and the not so very subtle way he got his face removed...and that final shot of Tim giving his best Joker impression (I am figuring the eyes are just read because all the screens in front of him are and the lights just reflected (or sloppy inking/coloring).

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Batnandez

@sethysquare: sounds like rape

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By fodigg

Not really. Of the three titles launched by Lobdell, TT was and remains middling, Superboy was extremely promising (now average), and Red Hood was ridiculous and offensive, now ridiculous and decent.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By the_tree

It's garbage, don't read it.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sethysquare

@Outside_85 said:

@sethysquare: While I give you that the scene layout could be read as it being Raven that's influencing one or both of them, I don't believe that's the case. For one I don't think DC or Lobdell actually wants one hero forcing two others to rape one another (and yes, thats what some people on CBR's WW and Batman board are calling it). Secondly I don't see what the point would be, like what does Raven or Trigon gain from two teenagers having sex? Unless the idea is to get Cassandra pregnant and out of the game for a few months? (which sounds like really, really bad fan fiction). Not really sure where you get the connection between Tim/Cassie and Light?

On the other hand, we do know Tim has been exposed to something thanks to the Joker and the not so very subtle way he got his face removed...and that final shot of Tim giving his best Joker impression (I am figuring the eyes are just read because all the screens in front of him are and the lights just reflected (or sloppy inking/coloring).

That is one way to look at it. Perhaps it was Joker's gas or whatever. Guess we will find out soon enough

@Batnandez said:

@sethysquare: sounds like rape

How did Tim rape Cassie when Cassie willingly allowed herself to have sex with tim. If I got drunk or took drunks (willingly or unwillingly) and a girl decides to sleep with me, can the girl then say that she got raped by me?

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Batnandez

@sethysquare: no but you can claim that you were

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By grenade728
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997

Nope.It's one of the worst DC titles currently.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

@Batnandez said:

@sethysquare: no but you can claim that you were

nope. under any country's law, the girl has no rights to sue the guy for a rape charge because she willingly allow herself to have sex with him.

go read up. you can learn new things everyday.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#27  Edited By Black_Claw

Unless the future issues are an improvement don't buy it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By End_Boss

I wasn't enthralled by what I read, but I'm usually not a fan of super-powered teen teams anyway.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JulieDC

I read New 52 Teen Titans as one of my first comics ever and I am disappointed by it. I felt like there were too many subplots that weren't being finished or just completely ignored for several issues and that Superboy and Wonder Girl seemed to be the only ones getting any character development (not to say I hate them, its just I am more interested in Bart and Solstice at the moment). I've recently began reading the comics that came before New 52 and couldn't believe how good they were compared to what is currently coming out. Reading older comics has made me like the Flash (Wally West, which now I understand why everyone is upset by his disappearance), and Tim Drake (as well as Dick Grayson). As a result of liking the older comics, I find myself really hating what they've done to Tim Drake. At first I didn't understand what people meant, having read some of his older issues, I too am fed up with the direction taken in Teen Titans. The only things I like about New 52 at this point are Red Hood and the Flash (Barry Allen).

I was actually dumbfounded when I learned that the same writer for Teen Titans also writes Red Hood and the Outlaws. I mean, how does one write one group of characters so well, but fails miserably at the other (although I am not particularly a fan of the last few issues)??? I think Teen Titans is salvageable if they got a new writer and just ended all current storylines and start from the beginning. I also wish they'd give Tim Drake his own series again because so far from what I've read, I liked his old series.

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah. Sorry guys, I never got an alert so I sort of forgot about this post. Anyways, I actually gave issue #17 a quick read in my comic book store just to see what was going on and it was pretty bad and everyone looked...somewhat off. So, yeah the small amount of interest I had in this is now gone. I really hope they reboot the book but I've got a feeling that won't happen.

The costumes are actually one of the things that had me interested in New 52's Teen Titans though. I didn't like all of them(Kid Flash) but I felt that for the most part the others were improvements over the old ones.

nat_attack4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow.. Well, contrary to basically everything everyone else has posted, I actually thoroughly enjoy the series.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all happy at with the plot of the story, and at the moment I am a tad confused on where it's going, but I love the characters (especially Tim Drake, the sole reason I will die alone)

Maybe it's just me, but I recommend reading it :)

I'm willing to give it a chance, and I think you should, too(:

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By nightwingnerd

I have enjoyed the book I think you should read it, sometimes it can be dumb but it's really good (Read 15 and 16 they're amazing).

Avatar image for deactived-023985402
    deactived-023985402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally enjoyed the series before the new 52 with miss martian and green beast boy.

EuniceGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope tim to go back to gotham to find stephanie like old days(i want red robin series now)

first of all superboy feels something about cassie and she is such aslutt she doesnt have problem to sleep with all team.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for windingtreepath
    windingtreepath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually like it. Don't get me wrong, it has had some really bad moments, particularly in the beginning, and I hate the costume direction, but it's been pretty good. However, I'm partially just reading hoping they'll bring back dead characters (Red Devil, Terra, a rehash of the Terra story would be awesome).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I think its been severely hampered by crossovers. The first arc was decent until the Culling. After that fiasco it seemed to be gaining steam then got derailed by Death of the Family. I like Bunker quite a bit as a character and I didn't mind the new source of Cassie's powers.

Supergrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury said:

I think its been severely hampered by crossovers. The first arc was decent until the Culling. After that fiasco it seemed to be gaining steam then got derailed by Death of the Family. I like Bunker quite a bit as a character and I didn't mind the new source of Cassie's powers.

Basically this. Im up to issue 13 and I still think this book has potential. The thing that is wrong in my opinion, is that the writer is not having as much freedom as he should, with all these events like the culling and death of the family taking up issues. Im not sure whether in DC they force these storylines on to Scott Lobell or if he intentionally takes them on. But from what I've seen so far he hasn't had a chance to let these characters plant their feet firmly on the ground.

I enjoyed the first five issues. They were great, the fact that Tim Drake was slowly but surely gathering a team. On that note i'll also add that I've read the entirety of the 26 issue Red Robin series from a while back, and I've yet to see Tim Drake in his full potential in this series. Which brings me to another point on the characters.

I think the line up is what has mostly been keeping me hooked on this book. I absolutely love Tim Drake and Wonder Girl, Bunker also has something going for him, Kid flash and Solstice are ok Skitter is eh. But one character I can't approve of is Superboy. I never read teen titans before the new 52 so I don't know how good he was or what chemistry he had with the teen titans back in the day, but right now he's a mess. He's all over the place and I feel he just doesn't belong in the titans. I think it's the fact that he has his own series, which pretty much limits what Lobell can do with him in the Teen Titans. If that is the case I think they should either cancel the superboy book or make him leave the team line up, (I say this with all due respect to the fans of the previous titan series.)

And finally I've read that you people hate the current character costumes. I have to disagree. I Love the current costumes together with Brett Booth's artwork. Though I miss Tim Drake's cowl, I am loving his current wing design, it gives him more in terms of combat capabilities. Cassandra's armor costume thing is also top notch. While Bunker's costume seems lame I think it's part of his character, him being a rookie and all. Kid flash has a nice suit as well.

Well I apologize If I rambled on too much :P

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a horrible book and has completely destroyed the legacy of so many 3rd Gen characters. The only reason I read it is because I love Tim, Bart, Cassie, and Connor. Their Pre-52 versions. Lobdell is making it very hard for me to keep loving them.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fodigg

Teen Titans has been middling since Johns left it. The new 52 didn't change that.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By cameron83

Do these Teen Titans at LEAST feel like how the Teen Titans should be?

Not just how the original incarnation should be,but later incarnations.

Do the characters act like that,do they interact the way they should,do they have the same type of adventures?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83 said:

Do these Teen Titans at LEAST feel like how the Teen Titans should be?

Not just how the original incarnation should be,but later incarnations.

Do the characters act like that,do they interact the way they should,do they have the same type of adventures?

I have a personal comparison that seems more than fitting now, in the light of the death of Superboy; Lobdell treats these characters as suits he is allowed to pour whatever he likes into and continue to claim they are basically the same.

I think most will agree that the New 52 Superboy was nothing like the Pre-FP Superboy to start with, but he's now been replaced with a homicidal nut job thats physically identical to the old one. Same with Tim and Cassandra, nothing like the old versions people had come to like if not love, still supposed to be the same people.

As for adventures, no, they just going through the X-Men's 90'ties, as such I wont be at all surprised to end up seeing the lost Skitter crucified on someone's front lawn.

Avatar image for windingtreepath
    windingtreepath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: I actually whole heartedly disagree with that; I personally think Johns is highly overrated and the book got better about halfway through its run with the introduction of some of my favorite characters (Ravager and Kid/Red Devil). The only earlier issue I loved was the Identity Crisis tie-in which was mainly because I love Tim Drake so much.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: I actually whole heartedly disagree with that; I personally think Johns is highly overrated and the book got better about halfway through its run with the introduction of some of my favorite characters (Ravager and Kid/Red Devil). The only earlier issue I loved was the Identity Crisis tie-in which was mainly because I love Tim Drake so much.

Kid Devil and Miss Martian were the two things I actually cared about but the book as a whole went pretty much nowhere.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The relaunch of the Teen Titans with the creative team of Will Pfeifer (writer) and Kenneth Rocafort (artist) is only marginally better than Scott Lobdell's disastrous run. The first issue was pretty good but the series has been going downhill since.

While there is some emphasis on building relationships between characters such as Beast Boy and Bunker, the series seems to place more of an importance on building villains and auxiliary characters such as Manchester Black than developing the main roster. A main roster that's going to get even bigger with the upcoming introduction of the new Powergirl come next year. The problem with not focusing on the main roster is that if these characters aren't fleshed out, then I'm not going to feel attached to them which pretty much removes all of the tension from the action scenes or any dramatic moments involving these characters, good action comes from investment in the protagonists. In particular, the two main figures of the team, Tim Drake and Cassie S. are not interesting in the slightest, if they were to die next issue, I wouldn't care at all. I still have no idea as to why these characters are together other than DC needed to find young heroes to put in a Teen Titans book.

There are some interesting parts such as the idea of the Titans being firmly rooted in the public's conscience and the Titans interacting with them, Beast Boy and Bunker seem like a fun pair to read about and there is more diversity in terms of the color scheme of the team, whereas before there was too much emphasis on the color red (along with most of DC).

Kenneth Rocafort as a comic book artist is overrated, he is at his best when he is drawing stand-alone images but when it comes to actually helping the writer tell their story with clear and concise panel work or illustrating a world that the readers would want to escape to, that's where his work tends to falter. The latter two are just as important as drawing stand-alone images for a comic book IMO. Not to mention for a book that involves teenage characters, there is a little too much cheesecake going on here. It's one thing to draw Starfire as a voluptuous vixen, it's another to draw Cassie Sandsmark as one too.

Based on the four issues (excluding the FE:tie-in), the series is better than Scott Lobdell's run but not by much, not enough to justify spending money on and it just seems as though DC is just throwing this book out there because the company feels obligated to print a Teen Titans book rather than to actually put effort in trying to re-establish a franchise that at one point rivaled the X-Men. It's a damn shame too ...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: I have to say I am a bit surprised at how low you rank the Will/Kenneth run so far, but I don't know how you rank the Lobdell run compared to the Johns-era onwards.

I am not so sure I agree with you about Black being highlighted over the team since it's only this last issue he really got some pages to his name. As unfair as it might be, I think Tim is just getting less development in this book because of the various Bat-books he also appears in. Other than that, I think the books has had a pretty solid focus on the main characters, but it delivers an issue by issue focus on single/duoe's rather than an even spread for all. In regards to why they are together... sadly I would point to the events of the Lobdell run as being the reason, although it doesn't appear to be much of a 'team' than a group of superpowered teenagers who are friends.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No! One of the worst New 52 titles by far.

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't that bad. People make it sound worse than it is.

I personally think thier new costumes are pretty cool.

And the new series with Rocafort is better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.