Follow

Teen Titans

Team » Teen Titans appears in 2162 issues.

The Teen Titans are the premier team of young heroes in the DCU. Currently led by Damian Wayne, the team fights for the greater good and to recruit other young heroes like them.

Hopes for the new writers/teams

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Right now we only know the basics of whats coming down the pipe for both Teen Titans and the Titans.

• Teen Titans: written by Glass, and described very loosely as a rebel book and that much of the team has issues with how their parent's generation are handling things.
    • Titans: written by Abnett (still), seems more traditional as the team is off to fight/help what I can only describe as DC's answer to the Inhumans (post-mist bomb).

Now these are ofc just the headlines, and if tradition holds, will only be the framework for both teams who will have a stronger interpersonal stories that unfold during it. And with new writers and new teams, there are new opportunities for change, and I wanted to see what people were hoping for.

My own:

• Stop weaving social media into the picture unless its actually part of the story. It's an idea Pfeiffer (or however you spell it) came up with for his TT run, the kids are teenagers, teenagers today have a large social media presence if they are famous, and teenage superheroes are more likely than not to be famous. Unfortunately the result was more of giving the members of the team weird quirks and tagalongs, without really going anywhere. Percy continued with this for Beastboy where it's a near obsession for him to post or tweet his slightest thought to the web, even in the middle of battle. I very much hope this idea really takes a very long holiday. They can still have an online presence, but don't make them addicted to it and stop reminding us every other issue that they have it unless it's part of the story... like someone starting to pick off Beastboys online followers one by one because they hacked his account and stole his online identity.
    • Either the stories need to be overall shorter, or they have to limit the amount of introduction/reintroduction stories they do. Like with both Titans and Teen Titans there has been what I consider to be over-long starting stories for the series. TT dealt with the Demons Fist, or Damians Other Team, and Titans spent what felt like half a year on Wally West, while the team had sort of come together moments before his arrival. For both teams though, the ending didn't so much explain why the team continued to work together afterwards, they just did. And following that intro, you kinda moved on to focusing on the individual members of each team... or that was what they said they would, but Percy just added more members and Abnett never felt like moving on from Wally until this very last story where it was now Donna and Arsenal. What I am saying is I hope we sort of go back to the last version of Titans (not Deathstrokes) where the team just comes together, explain why they are there and just move on from there. Which is something I do hope will be the case for Titans as they have a active situation to deal with.
    • Less matchmaking. I know they are all hormonal teenagers, but both Percy and Abnett have during their runs made members of their team hook up with little to no warning. Percy had paired Fake Wally with Raven by issue 3, and when Titans could break away from Wally, it switched over to a clumsy threeway duel between Donna, Roy and Wally. And to be honest, I'd rather have a longer build up before a couple is formed, especially with the new teams coming since Damian's squad is really young and it will be really awkward, and on Titans there is only Dick and Gar with 4 women, none of whom have shown any interest if they have had any page time together. Let these kind of things build... and throw us a curveball.
    • Individually I am hoping for growth and development all around, especially for the longer standing members. Damian is again falling back on his old mannerisms of 'I know better than anyone!' and he's hopefully gotten a writer who will abuse him of that notion severely (looking at you Crush). Over on Titans, I pray we can get a bit more of the old Donna back rather than the angry warrior woman we've been stuck with, and with her being riddled with issues as she is, I do hope one of the two psionics on the team will be able to help her find out 'Who is Donna Troy?'. Nightwing I am not sure what to expect of, or where he can go, he's the leader of the team and thats how he works best, or thats just how it is. As said before I hope Gar lays off the social media habits and maybe stops being the class clown for once, unlikely, but thats hope. Raven is in the uncomfortable position for me as the one with the highest expectations to meet, and the easiest to fail. She's been billed as co-leader of the team along with Nightwing, and while thats great, I wont hold my breath till I see it in actual effect, as in actually giving someone an order and see it done... because it's super easy for the quiet girl to get lost behind possibly the greatest team-leader in DC.

So, what do you hope for the next teams?

totu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@outside_85:

I saw there is an interview with Abnett where he says few things about the new Titans

http://www.comicon.com/2018/05/09/interviewing-dan-abnett-on-the-new-titans-and-the-dcu-post-no-justice/

Frankly, I am not really happy with some of the things he says. If I understand correct Titans will play a bit the role of a sort of Suicide Squad of Justice League, Nightwing is tasked to form the new team and he says this is a chance of redemption for him as the previous Titans team didn't met JL approval. JL who send now Miss Martian in the team as a "babbysitter" to watch over the Titans.

This isn't really a good idea and direction for the Titans if you ask me. Looks like Titans will be a sort of tool for JL, under they control and supervision, and a character like Miss Martian, that was chose by Abnett, will play a big role, probably surpassing Raven and maybe putting Nightwing in all sort of inferiority positions when it comes to decisions. I am not sure if Raven is anymore the co-leader as they said back then, but if she is and is written right (which I hope it will be but can't bet on that for now) I see no reason why she shouldn't be an effective one. She is not quite the same shy and very peaceful personality from the past and even then she was surprisingly capable to gather the NTT and the right people for the job, and coordinate them at first. Even in N52 iirc Tim had chose her as next in command of TT, if something happen with him.

Anyway I can't say I am very pleased for now with this direction but I will wait to see what comes out eventually

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totu: Well, I get what you are saying, but I am perhaps more optimistic about it. Like, the setup is that the League asks Nightwing to form a certain kind of team with a certain job in mind. And the only person the League 'forces' on him, is Miss Martian.

That could wind up being good stuff because if Miss Martian is more like her animated counterpart from YJ, Dick could rightly go Batman and recruit Raven as a possible foil to Miss Martian. Like Dick also knows Miss Martian is not just going to be the League's eyes and ears on the team, but also a kind of shock collar should they be doing something the League says they shouldn't. So to counter Megan's most dangerous ability, you bring in Raven to counter it. Also, Megan's status doesn't necessarily mean she is co-leading anything, especially when it seems she and Richard are going to be butting heads more often than not.

totu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totu: Well, I get what you are saying, but I am perhaps more optimistic about it. Like, the setup is that the League asks Nightwing to form a certain kind of team with a certain job in mind. And the only person the League 'forces' on him, is Miss Martian.

That could wind up being good stuff because if Miss Martian is more like her animated counterpart from YJ, Dick could rightly go Batman and recruit Raven as a possible foil to Miss Martian. Like Dick also knows Miss Martian is not just going to be the League's eyes and ears on the team, but also a kind of shock collar should they be doing something the League says they shouldn't. So to counter Megan's most dangerous ability, you bring in Raven to counter it. Also, Megan's status doesn't necessarily mean she is co-leading anything, especially when it seems she and Richard are going to be butting heads more often than not.

I will like that if that will be the case with Nightwing bring in Raven (as no less than his co-leader for the team, maybe even giving her a new costume made as his own) to control Miss Martian who was imposed to him by JL to control him and his "new" team.

That will make sense but I don't know if Abnett had think it like that and I am still in doubts about him not favoring MM over Raven (as abilities and power level and general importance) and also Nightwing (when it comes to decisions and power over them).

Because if that is the case it will be a (much) bigger let down than the previous Titans run. But I hope its not and lets see how things will unfold, maybe you're right to be more optimistic.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totu said:
    @outside_85 said:

I will like that if that will be the case with Nightwing bring in Raven (as no less than his co-leader for the team, maybe even giving her a new costume made as his own) to control Miss Martian who was imposed to him by JL to control him and his "new" team.

That will make sense but I don't know if Abnett had think it like that and I am still in doubts about him not favoring MM over Raven (as abilities and power level and general importance) and also Nightwing (when it comes to decisions and power over them).

Because if that is the case it will be a (much) bigger let down than the previous Titans run. But I hope its not and lets see how things will unfold, maybe you're right to be more optimistic.

I take heart in the fact that Dan does not choose the team by 'conditions' set by nostalgia this time. His last team of Titans were the old ones, those were the ones he had to use for this, nothing new, no changes to the team setup. Now it seems more like Dan has been allowed to pick who he wants for what he has in mind, which I imagine that for a writer is a much better condition to be in.

totu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Being able to chose who he wants is very good for a writer, I agree. My problem is with what he will do with the characters, how he wants to write them. This is where the interview comes in as its rised some questions for me (and not just me from what I get) and I hope he won't mess it up.

Like making Miss Martian the top character (surpassing even Raven) and Titans some subservient team under JL tumb, with a humble Nightwing looking for their approval at every step. Anyway we'll see when the first issues will comes out, maybe he will make it quite good after all

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totu: I dont get the impression Nightwing is 'humbled' by the League or by the task given him. I mean ever since he stopped being Robin we always knew he could be counted on going only as far as he wants to, and by the route he wants to go, not take marching orders from Batman or anyone else unless he agrees with them. And that streak is why I believe the League feels the need to put Miss Martian on the team, she has broomstick up her backside, the League has control of the other end... because they dont have that on Nightwing.

As for how Dan writes them, well this is again an advantage of Dan being able to pick the team and give the team something to work with, because the Titans only had 'they are friends who just found each other again' to explain why they are there. And like most Titans teams, didn't seem to have a real goal to work towards... like Dan said, it was a team that was sitting around waiting for something to happen.
    This is quite a lot more like the structure Dan had to work with when he was knee deep in Marvel's cosmic toybox.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.