604comics's Teen Titans #88 - Team Building review

Avatar image for 604comics

"Warriors"

100 Words Or Less

The brand new creative team of J. T. Krul and Nicola Scott take over duties on Teen Titans and immediately throw our teen superheroes into battle against a strange batch of feral boys. The team dynamic is also sorted out; Cass giving reason as to why Ravager is on the team, Conner and Cass sorting out their feelings, and the introduction of a new team member?

So Then I Said...

In an effort to expand my exposure into DC Comics, this issue of Teen Titans seemed like a perfect point to jump into. I love Nicola Scott's work and when I found out she was doing regular duties on this issue, it was a simple decision for me. I was also looking for something not as heavy as the other titles in the DC Universe and back in the day when I was a teenager reading comics, The New Titans was one of my favourites.

I don't know a lot of back history on this current team but that didn't bother me in this issue. I knew who all the characters were, more or less, and I know the premise of this team. I liked this book quite a bit. I don't think I've read anything written by Krul but I liked the story in this issue. It almost felt like the start of a new series and DC probably could have renamed/renumbered this as New Teen Titans #1 if they wanted to spark sales. Each character had their exposure in this issue and that did it for me, for someone that is new to the series. I expect to understand more as the series continues, but I didn't feel lost at all. I'm also adding Superboy to my pull list so that should give an even greater comprehension.

As I mentioned earlier, the main draw for me in picking up this series at this point was Nicola Scott and I was very pleased with the interiors. The story is also working for me, too, and I can't wait to read the next issue. I can't compare this issue with the previous issues and the creative team that was running that but I feel this is the start of something pretty good so it's easy to say this issue was Worth It.

0 Comments