otoboke's Tales of Suspense #44 - The Mad Pharoah review

Avatar image for otoboke

The Mad Pharoah

So you know how Tony Stark is a total playboy? Well, this month, why don't we have him square off against the beauty of Cleopatra? Eh? Eh!

Well, it's not as bad as it sounds. No, really; it's not. Having a meagre fourteen pages to fill, the action flows nicely and the overall time-travel ancient Egypt storyline is quirky but definitely has a certain charm about it. That being said, this one seems like a step in the wrong direction not just for Marvel, but Iron Man too. Sure, we get reminded that Stark needs to plug himself into a mains every now and then, but anything in the way of characterisation is swiftly ignored here in favour of a broad fantasy action tale. Not bad, but not great either.

For full reviews complete with digitally recovered covers and art work, visit http://manicmarvel.tumblr.com/

Other reviews for Tales of Suspense #44 - The Mad Pharoah

Iron Man is a dick. 0

Spoilers ahead.. BEWARE! The basic run down is this.. So Tony decides he wants to check out a pyramid in Egypt. Cool so far. So what does he do first? Talk to guy about getting into it. He says "We can't really.." Tony responds with "IRON MAN COULD!" Yes, Tony Stark is a real genius isn't he.. Little while later he has to plug himself into the wall. Yeah, okay.. a little silly now, but whatever. Afterwards as Iron Man he gets into the pyramid and sees the mummy he was looking for. Next he runs...

Egypt's Never Looked So Good 0

Iron Man faces his greatest threat yet as he is thrown back in time to battle the evil (and misnamed) Mad Pharaoh Hatap. Can he survive an encounter with this ancient foe? Will he charm the legendary beauty Cleopatra? Will he be able to escape the past and get back to the present? Find out all this and more in this issue!Now look in my review of TOS #43 I said “Iron Man does not feel right fighting mystical underground civilisations”, and I stand by that here. Iron Man doesn’t ...