Sword of Sorcery: Thoughts?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmashBrawler

When DC announced their Third Wave, only one title stood out to me: Sword of Sorcery. Team 7 looked generic (although I've been hearing good things from it), Phantom Stranger looked boring (and still does) and I'm not interested on Talon.

So, I picked up Sword of Sorcery 0, and I was quite surprised, but not for the reasons you may think. The part of the book I was looking forward the most was Amethyst, and I have to say that I was a good, quick (yet not rushed) and entertaining start. Nothing amazing, but it's the first (kinda) issue, so I'm willing to give the book a chance. Well, that and the surprise cameo at the end.

I was not looking forward to Beowulf. I mean, it's not Superman or Batman, or something cool, it's freaking Beowulf! But, I paid 4 bucks for this comic, so I might as well be sure I get my money's worth from this comic. Boy, I was in for a surprise. Beowulf turned out to be an engaging story with great art. The basic premise of Beowulf's legend is set up in this issue, but Beowulf himself gets a nice twist, which I really liked.

So, what about you? Did you pick up Sword of Sorcery? And if you did, what were your thoughts?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

Bump

PolarisJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PolarisJunkie

@SmashBrawler said:

When DC announced their Third Wave, only one title stood out to me: Sword of Sorcery. Team 7 looked generic (although I've been hearing good things from it), Phantom Stranger looked boring (and still does) and I'm not interested on Talon.

So, I picked up Sword of Sorcery 0, and I was quite surprised, but not for the reasons you may think. The part of the book I was looking forward the most was Amethyst, and I have to say that I was a good, quick (yet not rushed) and entertaining start. Nothing amazing, but it's the first (kinda) issue, so I'm willing to give the book a chance. Well, that and the surprise cameo at the end.

I was not looking forward to Beowulf. I mean, it's not Superman or Batman, or something cool, it's freaking Beowulf! But, I paid 4 bucks for this comic, so I might as well be sure I get my money's worth from this comic. Boy, I was in for a surprise. Beowulf turned out to be an engaging story with great art. The basic premise of Beowulf's legend is set up in this issue, but Beowulf himself gets a nice twist, which I really liked.

So, what about you? Did you pick up Sword of Sorcery? And if you did, what were your thoughts?

I was pleasantly surprised with this title. I'm def. on board for the next few issues. I agree that this comic isn't anything groundbreaking or new but its very solid and still incredibly entertaining.

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By supermanprime6

I was really impressed with this title. I had originally planned on just buying issues 0 and 1, but after the great zero issue, I'm going to pull it for a while and see where it goes.

P.S. I think Beowulf is Deathstroke.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By reignmaker

I wish Comic Vine would formally review this issue. It needs the exposure.

I'll admit, I'm not usually into rainbows and glittering gems, but I enjoy the fantasy genre. Let's hope that this book is more of the latter and less of the former.

I also thought the backup was better than the main story, but the artwork was solid throughout the whole thing. Hopefully SoS can blossom into a solid alternative to superheroes, like All-Star Western.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

Bumpin' this for the lulz.

Plus, this week's issue was pretty damn good.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By serpent222

@supermanprime6 said:

I was really impressed with this title. I had originally planned on just buying issues 0 and 1, but after the great zero issue, I'm going to pull it for a while and see where it goes.

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmashBrawler

@serpent222 said:

@supermanprime6 said:

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

Kinda hate ruining this book's chance of having another reader, but it's not Deathstroke.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By serpent222

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

@supermanprime6 said:

Kinda hate ruining this book's chance of having another reader, but it's not Deathstroke.

Perhaps Deathstroke is descended from him? Maybe? Possibly?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmashBrawler

@serpent222 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

Well, he's a bio-engineered super soldier, so I think that's very unlikely :P

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By serpent222

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

They still look alike...kind of. I want to believe it, dammit!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmashBrawler

@serpent222 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

They still look alike...kind of. I want to believe it, dammit!

If that's the case, Slade's got some pretty ugly looking grandsons, LOL

No Caption Provided
    arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By arnoldoaad

I love Sword and Sorcery, its just very very well written and interesting

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.