The Sword of Omens is the legendary sword wielded by the leader of the Thundercats. The sword is believed to be the source of the Thundercats power. In the center of the hilt lies the Eye of Thudera, a mystical jewel that is sought after by many such as the mutants of Plundarr and Mumm-Ra. The Eye is red with a black slit down the middle (like a cat’s eye) The Sword of Omens was passed to Lion-O by his father (safeguarded by Jaga until Lion-O was of age).
The sword has many great abilities:
- The sword of omen changes sizes starting as a compact blade but extends out to several feet.
- It can protect the wielder with a force field.
- The sword never dulls and has been known to cut through the strongest of stones.
- In times of need the Eye will imbue the sword with great amounts of energy to create a devastating blow when it hits its mark.
- It also will warn the wielder when danger approaches.
- When need be it can be used to see far off places or find danger, giving its wielded “sight beyond sight.”
- Also when the wielder says “Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats HO!” The eye sends forth a large red catsignal to summon other Thundercats to aide Lion-o.
The sword also has its drawbacks, one of which is it is only useful against evil, and can not be used for hunting or just for pointless killing. If it is used to attack another member of the Thundercats the blade will break, initiating what is known as the curse of Balthas, releasing all its energy. The only way to regain the power is to reforge it in star fire.