Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Jepperd "rages in the cage" as he's kept from Louise during her most unnatural and painful labor. When he does finally break free, his captors have got hell to pay... but his vengeance comes at a terrible cost.

The Good

Saying that a horror story is frustrating is a compliment, because that's the effect the author's going for, of course. To that end, I compliment Lemire for really putting you in the mindset of Jepperd as he's fast with this claustrophobic, confining situation. You're maddened as he's confined and trying to get to Louise, you're furious when he's finally unleashed to get his revenge and then you're crushed when he's thwarted. The distinct, real voices of his jailers - - particularly the hippy guarding him - - go a long way to establish the (good) frustration you feel. You want them to shut up (in a good way.) Even though I had some issues with his rendering, I'll say that I was quite impressed with Lemire's storytelling sense. The layouts, negative space and angle choices all work so well to convey the sense of claustrophobia, unease and horror Sweet Tooth's trying to get across. Even when I wasn't quite caught up on the plot, I could still latch on to all of that.

The Bad

I'm not usually a fan of brush stroke line work like this. Lemire's pushing for a lot of intentional grotesqueness with these characters, but I wonder if he might've pushed a little too far for the art in general. Then again, I get the feeling that this is a style that might grow on me if I kept reading this comic.

The Verdict - 4/5

This is the last part of an arc and, thus, really the worst place for anybody to try to start reading this title. I still enjoyed it, though, even if I haven't been reading Sweet Tooth from the beginning. I had some qualms about the art (even though I thought the storytelling was superb) but I feel like I would've gotten used to it if I'd entered this from the beginning. Still, the quality level is good enough that I'd recommend either picking up the first trade or maybe starting this title with the next issue, which begins a new story arc.
    Avatar image for comicbookheretic
    comicbookheretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By comicbookheretic

I have been with this book since issue 1 and have enjoyed every issue.  Lemire has made me care about a little boy with antlers and an ex-hockey goon.  This issue was a home run ending to the 2nd book/arc of the series and the arc provide much of the needed back story for Jepperds.  I agree with waiting for next issue and buying the trade.  Good review for this great book.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

I bought the first trade awhile back and absolutely loved it. I cant wait until vol.#2 comes out.
    Avatar image for comix_christian
    comix christian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By comix christian

I also just read the first trade, and im pushing it on all the comicbook guys i know...Buy it!  
    too bad vol. 2 dosen't come out until December...ohh well...
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By longbowhunter
    @comix christian:
    December!! Damn it thats a long wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.