Follow

Swamp Thing

Character » Swamp Thing appears in 1048 issues.

Botanist Alec Holland became the avatar of the Green, known as the Swamp Thing, following his death in a swamp as a result of a horrific accident. With the ability to control any form of plant life, Swamp Thing uses his powers to protect both the human and the plant worlds.

New To Swamp Thing

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have been really fascinated by Swamp Thing as of late. Problem is, I really know nothing about him. So i have a few questions.

1. What is some required reading for Swamp Thing? I know some people dislike reading older material when getting into a new character but I dont mind. My one request be that the material is easy to find.

2. Is the New 52 series worth checking out?

3. Are the movies worth watching? I've watched trailers on youtube but cant tell if they are so-bad-its-good or just plain bad.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@redlantern23:

• Moore's run aka Saga of the Swamp Thing or if your not afraid of spending the cash get the whole Vertigo run
    • It is, although I haven't read it since Snyder left so I'm not sure if it still is but most pepole seem to still like it
    • Wes Craven's Swamp Thing is a great film
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Moore's run is essential reading. It's been collected in various trades. Veitch's and Millar's runs are worth checking out too but Millar's run hasn't been collected. You could check out pre-Moore's Swamp Thing, Len Wein's run.

Yeah, might as well start with Soule's run on the new series.

BB

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

radnorrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the most complicated and subtle runs of any writer on any monthly series. Again and again, I go back to stories like "The Nukeface Papers (part 1&2)" "The Rites of Spring," and "Reunion," because they just say so much about the relationship between human culture and the natural world. It is a truly profound work about the immense difficulty (and perhaps impossibility of putting the needs of the environment before the needs of society.

Among Moore's more interesting ideas, especially when Bissette and Totleben illustrate it, is the green, a universe spanning plant-mind that connects all plant life living or dead. Neil Gaiman, in the introduction to Vol. 2, calls the green a "communal undermind" of plantlife, and I think that is pretty interesting to think about. I'm pretty interested in theories of the unconscious, and it is clear that Moore is too. The green acts like a sort of unconscious part of Swamp Thing's mind and body that grants him immense power when he accesses it. And that is just cool to think about!

Also, the supporting characters really get some great stories in Moore's run. In many ways, it becomes just as much Abby's book as Swamp Thing.

After Moore's run, check out Neil Gaiman's three unpublished Swamp Thing stories in the Midnight Days collection. They are just as subtle, complicated, profound, and just damn entertaining as any story Moore wrote.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 swamp thing is my first swamp thing experience and i LOVE it! Is awesome.

For those that have read the other swamp thing series, is the rot world event a retelling of previous swamp stories, or is it new never seen before?

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@al_capown: If i recall correctly, it hasnt been seen before the new 52.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, I just finshed reading rot world, I am now on animal man 19 and swamp thing 20. SWAMP THING OWNS!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Cap10nate

The New 52 has been pretty good to Swamp Thing. Rot World gets a little drug out but is a good story. Soule has been doing a very good job since Snyder left.

As everyone has said, Moore's run is the standard bearer. I started to lose some interest when Swamp Thing went to space and the story telling got really weird.

I would also highly recommend Len Wein's original series. I have only read up to issue 14 but it starts going black and white from there.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space? Which issue does this happen in?

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All caught up on the new 52 swamp thing. Pleased so far :D

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al_capOWN

will read #20 and 21 today. Next week comes out #22!!!!

radnorrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The space part of the Alan Moore run is really weird indeed. It gets a bit hard to follow, actually very hard to follow. But there are some excellent issues, like the one where Swamp Thing ends up on a world of sentient plants, and makes a body out of other sentient beings, which drives him insane.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al_capOWN

Oh ok, I havent read that run, only reading new 52 stuff at the moment.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely check out Alan Moore's run. I'm loving it so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.