Follow

Surge

Character » Surge appears in 1093 issues.

Surge is a young mutant with electricity-based powers, and presently requires gauntlet-like regulators to fully control her powers. Considered to be one of the natural leaders of the younger mutants, she now resides at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning

Why is Surge such a 'B-Word' now?

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

I used to like Surge in New X-Men, but recently, she's been bit of a... you know what... 

X-23 #1
     X-23 #1

Nation X #2
    Nation X #2
    In Nation X #2 and and X-23 #1 she was a total bitch towards my two of my favs, Jubiee and X-23. Now I don't remember her being like this, what she trying to be, the new Hellion?
    Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

I think she's just been through a lot as a character and she's just a kid don't forget... she's lost most members on her original team and i'm just saying if I were leader of my team and I had casualties (many casualties) and almost my whole teenage years were about waking up the next morning hoping i'd make it through the day... well I'd be a b*** too, so i don't blame her and I like what the writers are doing with her 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think almost all the characters written in X-23 #1 are suffering from a case of revenger writing.  Ms Liu seems hell bent on undoing all the hard work established in both New X-Men & X-Force.

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

I think she's always been a closeted b-word. She was horrible to prodigy, she's screaming at laura. Honestly, she's always been one and I'm starting to find that I respect her less

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jordama

i get the feeling they are gonna make everyone hate her, or they are gonna kill her soon.
    Night Haunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Night Haunter
    @xerox-kitty:  

I have to agree, it's simply bad writing, and not just with Liu; Jim McCann and C.B. Cebulski did some really bad work with Surge in the Nation X anthology. 

Moreover, Surge's anger has always been rooted in reasonable circumstances in the past. She's dealing with the stresses of leadership, the threat of destruction, the responsibility of looking out for her friends and the rest of the students. It may not have always been right for her to act as such, but it was understandable in context. Now, it seems that Surge is just being used as the default bitch by lazy writers. Why waste time creatively setting up conflicts and treating the characters with respect when you can just shove one into a designated antagonist role to make your favourite look better? It's really lazy writing and extremely unprofessional, not matter which character is being set up to take the fall.
    fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By fbdarkangel

I honestly don't know, but X-23 should punch her in the face! I mean, she saved Surge's life and Surge is complaining?!

Jane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jane
    @xerox-kitty:  that really hurt/angry me. I really liked New X-men.  It was my first comic 
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mutant God
    @Night Haunter said:
     anger has always been rooted in reasonable circumstances in the past. She's dealing with the stresses of leadership, the threat of destruction, the responsibility of looking out for her friends and the rest of the students. It may not have always been right for her to act as such, but it was understandable in context. Now, it seems that Surge is just being used as the default bitch by lazy writers. Why waste time creatively setting up conflicts and treating the characters with respect when you can just shove one into a designated antagonist role to make your favourite look better? It's really lazy writing and extremely unprofessional, not matter which character is being set up to take the fall. "

She is the next Cyclops
    bmbmustdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By bmbmustdie

while i agree she is being a bitch in nation x i disagree about the x-23 thing. surge is mad that laura  didn't say no to joining x-force a team of killers.
    Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By crimsonspider89

Nation X I really didn't read. But her attitude towards X-23 is rooted in a far deeper psyche. The fact they are going to introduce this factor very soon in my opinion. Her attitude seems to worsen  when she sees Hellion with X-23. But when Hellion got hurt during Second Coming, her reaction came off as crushish as is her current attitude. Have a feeling it will be revealed she has a crush on Hellion and the reason why her attitude has became worse is due to being ignored by Hellion and seeing her team die and being put through all the pain in her teenage years. 

So, yeah her attitude towards X-23 comes from the fact I think she has feelings for Hellion.

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fbdarkangel
    @crimsonspider89 said:
    " Nation X I really didn't read. But her attitude towards X-23 is rooted in a far deeper psyche. The fact they are going to introduce this factor very soon in my opinion. Her attitude seems to worsen  when she sees Hellion with X-23. But when Hellion got hurt during Second Coming, her reaction came off as crushish as is her current attitude. Have a feeling it will be revealed she has a crush on Hellion and the reason why her attitude has became worse is due to being ignored by Hellion and seeing her team die and being put through all the pain in her teenage years.  So, yeah her attitude towards X-23 comes from the fact I think she has feelings for Hellion. "
    that actually makes sense!
    Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skaddix

I hope that doesn't happen that scene makes no sense anyway, Hellion was a douchebag to all the new new mutants except Wind Dancer. A crush on Hellion is more bad writing from writers who don't read anything about the characters that they want to write.

Alaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alaric
    @crimsonspider89 said:
    " Nation X I really didn't read. But her attitude towards X-23 is rooted in a far deeper psyche. The fact they are going to introduce this factor very soon in my opinion. Her attitude seems to worsen  when she sees Hellion with X-23. But when Hellion got hurt during Second Coming, her reaction came off as crushish as is her current attitude. Have a feeling it will be revealed she has a crush on Hellion and the reason why her attitude has became worse is due to being ignored by Hellion and seeing her team die and being put through all the pain in her teenage years.  So, yeah her attitude towards X-23 comes from the fact I think she has feelings for Hellion. "
    I support this theory, mainly because of her reactions from X-force 27. 
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I think its interesting to note how Cess is comforting Surge, I would have guessed Cess would have been the one in tears seeing as she was very close to Hellion back then. Personally I like how this slowly developed after the events of Messiah Complex, it was obvious that the famous kiss was an attempt to drive her then boyfriend Prodigy away after he lost his powers but I liked the idea that there could have been more to it. I truly enjoy how "Keller" and "Ashida" have such an interesting history of rivalry and borderline hatred so the idea that there could be more to them is very intriguing. I just hope the writers aren't just leading us along with such vague interactions. lol
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Skaddix said:
    " I hope that doesn't happen that scene makes no sense anyway, Hellion was a douchebag to all the new new mutants except Wind Dancer. A crush on Hellion is more bad writing from writers who don't read anything about the characters that they want to write. "
    Teenange girls going for pretty boy assholes is nothing new. That would actually make sense in fact. I can more than see a teen girl acting as Surge did in X-23 #1. A jealous female would certainly behave in that manner towards another female who has the attention of the man they desire. Women can be VERY competitive and vindictive when it comes to men, something I've experienced recently. As far as her behavior in Nation X, perfectly understandable given the context. 
    Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Gawdzilla

Nori's "bitchiness" stems from the fact that she trying to hard to be a leader. Emma made her the NXM team leader even though in reality Surge had no leadership experience. Going through what she did during NXM with no prior experience was really hard on her. She was the team rebel of the NM a now she's team leader of the NXM. Flash forward to post MC and we see that perhaps Surge is once again trying to hard to be a team leader with the way she treated Jubilee. 

Now regards to Laura...well i'm actually starting to believe she might have have some feelings for Julian. I wrote their kiss during NXM as her wanting to piss off David because Julian and him hated him. But now going over what happened in SC and her actions during X-23, i defiantly could be spun that maybe Nori actually developed some kind of feelings for him.  The two have a pretty decent history of animosity between the two.

Someone should mention/ask about it in Marjorie Liu's next X-Position on CBR

MichonneHack27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MichonneHack27

In my opinion, Nori's a bitch in general. She's a very hard character to like. Kinda like Emma Frost and her hyprocisy towards X-23 in the begining. Nori's a lot like the very loud-annoying kid in the family, she believes being LOUD and doing anything to stand out will gain her attention or respect. I honestly don't know if Nori has feelings for Julian. In my opinion, she's kinda of a SLUT like Emma. But thats my opinion. Just cause I don't understand her on that part doesn't mean she's bad. She's just got a lot of issues. 

There's a lot of Nori thats hard to know and like. Well hopefully she'll learn to stop being a bitch and appreciate her teammates. Its like Emma with X-23.  She was a BIG bitch to X-23 because of her past. And lets face it, Emma was being a hyprocite. She lashed at Laura for being something she couldn't control. But everyone seems to forget that Emma broke-up Cyclops marriage, was once a villianess, and probably helped(along with her Hellfire Club) turn Phoneix into a very psychotic bird/being whatever she is. Sorry for the rant^^;. Trying to give an example.  

Either way, Nori like Emma, has a lot to learn. You have to have A LOT of patience with her.
    Alch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alch21

I think shes just being "Alpha Female" on her team. Shes been acting like a "mother" ever since Emma made her leader. I think it worsened when Prodigy dumped her and i dont think shes fully vented yet.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

i posted this elsewhere but seems better fitted here. Was in a thread asking if Laura should slap Surge.  

"Nah, I don't think she should. She has the right to definitely, but yeah. Surge is sort of messed up emotionally as well. She is just sort of the opposite of 23, where as Laura will be an introvert, Nori will be an extrovert. Where as Laura would take criticism, and direct it inwards and at herself, because that might be her defense mechanism, or because she lacks a defense mechanism, in that way, Surge's defense mechanism, will have her express criticism, outwards, at other people.  

Let's read between the lines, of what Surge says, (or as I believe)  

"Laura, you excluded us, and kept secrets from us, you betrayed us, I thought we were closer, though some unspoken bond, and even though I, or the group, haven't really been that close to you, its common for people our age to just bond, and expect a sort of social closeness and loyalty within our group, how could you have betrayed us, or not realized that we would have supported you? Oh, i see? You think your better than us? Or better than me, and above me? Your so independent and I am not? You get to be in X-Force, and I don't? Screw you miss high and mighty, I thought we friends, not close friends, but friends"  

and of course, because X-23 is so quiet, her silence, probably just aggravates Surge even more, and her lack of knowledge or empathy for X-23, probably comes across as attitude, especially for someone who talks as much as she does. It may even come across as criticism, or remind her of criticism.  

If Nori was a telepath though, she might hear Laura's mind saying  

"Blue hair girl, stop shouting at me, this is who I am, I am quiet, I am different from all of you, I have no friends, but would want some, I don't know how to talk to you, I did not think you considered me your friend, since your always shouting at me, and calling me bad things. I would not betray you or think bad things of you"  

Nori might shut up then. She just really doesn't get X-23 at all, and X-23 isn't the kind of person that is easy to understand or get, by virtue of just not having the type of personality to easily open up and start openly talking about her life, feelings, and motivations. If either Nori was more understanding and willing to learn about X, OR, X-23, was a better communicator and talk as much as Nori does, they would probably get on really well. Its funny too, because both Nori and X-23, seem to prefer talking with characters older than themselves as well. Nori might be a bit jealous as well of X-23, for quite a few reasons as well. X-23 often stands out and can become the center of attention, without really hardly doing anything. Surge has bright blue hair, and talks more than I write which she would expect should gather more attention and interest, so there is that too"
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

Actually, I'm fairly certain that she has been a (and I quote) 'B-word' all along. She's been called obnoxious more than once, and she's always been 'surly'.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Squares:
    he became worse after Emma Frost made her a leader of New X-Men (not that she deserved it).
    Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC said:
    i posted this elsewhere but seems better fitted here. Was in a thread asking if Laura should slap Surge.  

"Nah, I don't think she should. She has the right to definitely, but yeah. Surge is sort of messed up emotionally as well. She is just sort of the opposite of 23, where as Laura will be an introvert, Nori will be an extrovert. Where as Laura would take criticism, and direct it inwards and at herself, because that might be her defense mechanism, or because she lacks a defense mechanism, in that way, Surge's defense mechanism, will have her express criticism, outwards, at other people.  

"Laura, you excluded us, and kept secrets from us, you betrayed us, I thought we were closer, though some unspoken bond, and even though I, or the group, haven't really been that close to you, its common for people our age to just bond, and expect a sort of social closeness and loyalty within our group, how could you have betrayed us, or not realized that we would have supported you? Oh, i see? You think your better than us? Or better than me, and above me? Your so independent and I am not? You get to be in X-Force, and I don't? Screw you miss high and mighty, I thought we friends, not close friends, but friends"  

and of course, because X-23 is so quiet, her silence, probably just aggravates Surge even more, and her lack of knowledge or empathy for X-23, probably comes across as attitude, especially for someone who talks as much as she does. It may even come across as criticism, or remind her of criticism.  

"Blue hair girl, stop shouting at me, this is who I am, I am quiet, I am different from all of you, I have no friends, but would want some, I don't know how to talk to you, I did not think you considered me your friend, since your always shouting at me, and calling me bad things. I would not betray you or think bad things of you"  

Nori might shut up then. She just really doesn't get X-23 at all, and X-23 isn't the kind of person that is easy to understand or get, by virtue of just not having the type of personality to easily open up and start openly talking about her life, feelings, and motivations. If either Nori was more understanding and willing to learn about X, OR, X-23, was a better communicator and talk as much as Nori does, they would probably get on really well. Its funny too, because both Nori and X-23, seem to prefer talking with characters older than themselves as well. Nori might be a bit jealous as well of X-23, for quite a few reasons as well. X-23 often stands out and can become the center of attention, without really hardly doing anything. Surge has bright blue hair, and talks more than I write which she would expect should gather more attention and interest, so there is that too"
    i wish i could follow you twice
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @SC said:

EPIC WIN.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By MrUnknown
    @SC said:

You know what? You totally make sense of this one! And, agree to both quoters above!
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By fodigg

Somebody's gotta cause drama in the team. May as well be her.

xgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By xgirl

eh surge was out of character in x 23.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kairan1979
    @xgirl
    no, she wasn't. Look at Nation X #2 and her treatment of Jubilee.
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wise Son
    Ever since Prodigy broke it off with her she just hasn't  been the same. Why'd you do it David?!
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Wise Son
    she treated David like he was useless without powers and tried to force him to leave by kissing Hellion of all people.
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wise Son
    @Kairan1979: I know, I know I just wanted to be that guy. Surge just fills that role. The person people love to hate and what not.  

I was so happy when David dropped Hellion and broke it off with Surge in the same page though.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By AgeofHurricane

It's the stress of having a lot of your friends being killed in one evening by a mad man right after all their powers were taken and then being called to lead a team who have suffered a lot in the past few months....it does something to a gal.

lightfright12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lightfright12

@MichonneHack27: How do you think Surge is a slut? I've never read any of the comics with her in them, but I don't think she had very many relationships with anyone. The only one I know about is prodigy and she once kissed Hellion to push prodigy away. If it's because of the way she dresses, that harks back to the first "conversation" she had with dust over their views on womens rights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edc72068d57d
    deactivated-5edc72068d57d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox_kitty:

Actually, X-force was more like character regression. Since it really didn't help her quest for a regular life. That she wanted after he mini.

XSpectreGreyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By XSpectreGreyX

Surge's attitude was understandable before. She had to deal with her powers all on her own. Her father disowned her for soemthing she couldn't control. After M-Day, I really felt bad for her, because honestly, her life sucked. She broke-up with Prodigy to try to protect him, but even though he claims to understand, he breaks-up with her and from my perspective, it's almost entirely based on his pride. When she first came up, I liked her cynical attitude, because it made her nice moments have much more impact, and her character developed really well. In order for me to find a character engaging, they must have flaws that are justified in a at least a few ways and eventually work through some of them, and Surge had this. But now, she's just become kind of a bitch for no real reason. I understand that she has a lot of things to manage, but writers are really overdoing it. Honestly, most of her recent scenes now just make her a bitch to the protagonist and really just seem out of character. I mean, why would she give Jubilee a hard time about being depowered? I mean, seriously? She was there when the effects of the depowering were horrible (all the shit that happened at Xavier's in the span of about 5 minutes). Luckily, they seem to be reversing this, as seen in Avengers Academy, so that she is now justifiably pissed off, and is even nice to X-23. I understand why she was pissed at X-23, and I'm happy to see that they're friends (well, whatever they were before her bitch spree) again. I really noticed her bitchiness with X-23, who writers seem to love. Seriously, they CONSTANTLY portray her in a sympathetic light. She's just not that interesting anymore. Hopefully she develops a non-emo personality. It's like they just needed the obligatory 'treat X-23 like shit' character and couldn't use Emma (obviously) or Cyclops (it would be horribly out of character), so all they really had was Surge. As SC said, they are both messed up, although I disagree about Surge wanting to be special. It's the opposite. She was happy being unnoticed from what I remember. Your comment about Surge thinking Laura is better than her is really unfounded, and seems like a cheap shot. I do find the whole bond thing strange though. Most of the members of the New X-Men didn't seem that close, but yes, many teams (in all forms of media) tend to have an unspoken bond (I don't know if what you said was supposed to be sarcastic or not).

Also, she only said what she said about Prodigy to try to get him to leave so he'd be safe. It wasn't exactly hard to figure out. Classic case of someone putting their lover's well-being above either person's happiness. What I don't understand is why Prodigy, knowing this, broke up with her. I mean, he did almost the same thing after his vision. He ignored her for her own safety.

I hope they keep using her, because she was a likeable character, but I also hope they use her right. I mean, she seems to be there to just antagonise whatever character the writers prefer at the time. I hope she gets some focus (hopefully taken away from X-23, who, to the majority of readers I know, has been in the spotlight for way too long) and they make her the loveable jerk with a heart of gold from New X-Men.

Avatar image for unfraggablepushman
    UnfraggablePushman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Marjorie Liu was busy buffing up X-23's ego and needed a foil to make her look better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.