Follow

Superman/Batman

Volume »

Superman/Batman is a monthly comic book series about the combined adventures of two of the most recognizable DC superheroes of all time.

Superman/Batman #73

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Batman rescues Lois from a cult of Superman worshipers while Luthor plots to turn an entire alien planet against the Man of Steel.

The Good

Levitz and Ordway are a match made in heaven. This is the best Superman/Batman I've ever encountered as long as the title's been running.  Levitz knows these characters and the dialogue he gives Superman, Batman, Lois and Luthor hits a bullseye every time.  I loved the contrast in their methods while they were investigating the cult and their monologues were overlapping into eachother with segues along key phrases. It's been too long since I've seen that kind of literary approach to narration. And the characterization of Luthor was a real stand-out... how every pose, line and even word captured his megalamania without ever needing him to cackle like a madman. It was also fun to see Ordway revisiting the concept of a Superman cult he introduced years ago with Gog's first appearance. I feel like it'd almost be redundant to explain how good his art is, because I'd run out of superlatives all too quickly.

The Bad

I bring this up consistently in these reviews because it's consistently a nuisance. I'd really like to see an end to this practice of coloring un-inked pencils, because it never looks right and it always draws me out of the story. Jerry Ordway is an amazing artist and he has tight line work, but if they really wanted to give his art a painted quality, then they should have had somebody actually paint his work -- it was absolutely jaw-dropping when it was painted in the Power of Shazam mini-series. The colors here are actually amazing, but it doesn't matter how good they are when they go over pencils, because the result is an inconsistent strength to the lines that adds up to an experience akin to listening to an awesome song on a skipping CD.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

I'm really intrigued to see how the cult and alien planet plots roll-out. The former, particularly, seems especially ripe for a lot of interesting twists and turns. Like I said, this is the best I've ever seen this title, and it's been a real treat to see Levitz back to writing these characters, as he's bringing with him some finely honed-craft. I just wish they would've gotten an inker for this!
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By shawn87

two of the greatest comic book characters of all time....how can you go wrong with that? I cant wait to read it

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

Oooh. Finally a Superman/Batman book to look forward to. Glad I've continued buying this.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Magian

My only question about this is where it stands continuinity wise? Other than that I would like to read it.

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Blackestnight1

4.5 then im buying it

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Joey Ravn
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " My only question about this is where it stands continuinity wise? Other than that I would like to read it. "
    I think this particular story is like those from Legends of the Dark Knight: it "just happened" in some point in the past, but as they don't deeply affect continuity, there's no need to specify exactly when they took place.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Magian
    @Joey Ravn:
    Ok thanks.
    BatChaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BatChaz
    @ComicMan24: I agree, is Bruce's Batman in this or is its Dick's? They both have very different styles so which character is the writer portraying well?
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey

has there been a Clark and Dick story done yet?
    PrinceGab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

super man prime would beat his ass

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.