Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Working on Headcanon, Seeking Resources Describing Superman Details

MeHateSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MeHateSuperman

I have an elaborate, decades in the making headcanon on Superman that I'd like to actually write down and flush out. It's inspired primarily by Elliot S! Maggin, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Julius Schwartz/Bronze Age Superman. I don't talk so much about psionics as Ultrasolar rays and the photonucleic effect. It's also very tinged by PreCrisis, Silver Age and Moore's Supreme. But it's not based on any of these on detail, I take what I like and fit it together, change or ignore the rest. Lots of post-Crisis stuff does draw on the more Silver Age visions of the Man of Steel, and I like to draw on that whenever it works for me.

What I am looking for to pursue refining my headcanon (I might use it for GURPS or something) are sections of comics or books which give information on the mechanisms or components of his various superhuman abilities, discussion of how his biology compares to humans, about the unusual matter of energy of things from Krypton - basically, snippets of science fiction technobabble theorizing or explaining what we would see as the engineering, biology of physics side of his abilities and his kin.

I have seen unattributed panels saying something is unusual about Superman's energy, not his matter or organs, that's an interesting avenue for pseudoscience I'd love to get sources and details on.

I'd love links or examples of anything giving hypothetical or narrative statements about how his abilities function in detail or theory, from any version or period of Superman, or even a Kalelogue (after all, this is headcanon)

Once I get an outline set up I'll post it online, I just need more minutia to puzzle together, it helps me write and think about the problem from different angles. I have read thousands of comics with this guy, but you know, I don't remember where and what was said. If you do, we should be friends!

I'm sure this is a very vague ask, but I'm mostly looking for scientific details or other explanations of what makes him Super and Kryptonian, as my preference is to say he literally is a biological human except for where he's from, but Kryptonians have different developmental and biological parameters than him or us. They're like humans dependent on the weird Krypton science and environment, so they develop to be physically different even though they're genetic twins of a mashed up human genome and not like gorillas or complete aliens. But this is still subject to revision as I get ideas.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.