Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 17429 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why Superman never confessed love for Lois Lane in New 52

Mailwam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This always bothered me after I read the New 52, Clark and Lois definitely liked each other despite avoiding romance, at least Clark that's 100% sure. DC's page on Clois even hints that they might have had romantic feelings in New 52. Even one of the writer hinted about this might be true while talking over Superman #50.

It's like they were either trying to build up a full-blown romance but couldn't due to the shutdown, or the new "status quo" of Wonder Woman and Superman. This Lois sometimes gets in trouble, especially for Supes' sake, but she isn't completely helpless and can fight a little. Regardless even here it makes up for good tension, drama and protecting the ones you love at lost.

Clark gets jealous multiple times of Jonathan Caroll when he learns about him and when he learns she is moving in with her. Clark is the only one she seeks comfort in Superman #27, and that's not because she knows he is Superman. It is clear WW and LL have a jealousy angle at this point despite some people denying it, not clutching straws bot their respectful banter, facial and body expressions does clearly give it off. Perry in Superman #32 knows that he was interested in Lois seeing as to how he says he could have asked her out multiple times, but he acted like a loner.

In Superman #43 she gets very concerned when he gets knocked out, sleeping next to him while taking care of him and fixing him a meal, something Jimmy remarks she doesn't do for anyone. Even after this, she says she cares about Clark whom she almost loved, though it's clear it's more than just that. Of course they can't be together because writers already have them involved with others. But I for one would think it would be good if Clark gets to confront his feelings.

Lois feels bad for what his father did to him many years earlier. She also risks earning Clark's wrath by revealing his identity for his own better and wants to face the world together. She even goes as far to risk being killed to free him from Hordr. If that isn't a testament to love, then I don't know what is. Regardless, this one thing was written better than any romance in New 52.

Diana however has the most cheesiest statement about Superman impressing him to save his best friend, showing how badly the romance is written. What else will anyone do? Leave her to die? He dumps her like an unexpected jerk, even for someone losing powers, in Superman/Wonder Woman #22. Only 6 issues later do they reaffirm their love when he's about to die as part of Rebirth.

Coming back though, in Psi Wars she even fights for Superman and the latter is heartbroken that she went into a coma. This relationship could be explored much better, sadly we will never get that.

Alphamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mailwam: well I think the writers just want we and supes to get together and have a super OP baby or something like that, to be honest I would like to see bats and ww together instead but that’s just me

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZariusII

Even Clark and Diana's reconciliation during "Last Days" is hollow because by that point Diana was about to undergo an existential crisis, was slowly realising she didn't even love him and likely just got back with him out of pity. Supes dying in the story saved him from being royally cucked by Steve later down the line.

Mailwam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Yeah it needed to be better written. Lois Lane angle was partly bad too, they wasted issues before confirming feelings beyond normal friendship. But it paid off in the end, forgiving despite deceivement.

For some reason, even after Diana rescues him and says she loves him despite not knowing whether he is worthy in Superman/Wonder Woman #25, even when Eros shows him that he desired to marry her, he still acts like a stone-faced jerk.

Shoddy writing when that's said to be his desire and he buries it for no legitimate reason.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By SaintWildcard

Because he didn't love her like that. He tried early on to get with her, but it didn't work out. He more or less died loving Diana, despite whatever bs Tomasi saw fit to cram in after he died and was about to fuse

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The fact that he loved her is for sure. They even had a secret romance on the moon.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that he loved her is for sure. They even had a secret romance on the moon.

Ooof, people who believe that... theory do exist. Sheesh

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: This is not a theory but a fact. About the secret romance has been mentioned three times already and Clark's reaction to the fact that she told Bruce will also confirm this. Besides one writer said that Batman is indirectly related to this.And confirms their romance. In Rebirth, Batman's Cave was shown on the dark side of the moon. It was about this place that Lois spoke.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beautifultemptress: Real question, do you have a personality, or is your entire being just dictated by a blind devotion to a ship? Cus I refuse to believe you're a real person

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZariusII

@saintwildcard The 'bs' Tomasi threw in was a mercy kill...think about it, what would N52 Supes have done if he hadn't fused? Diana had come to terms with how she really felt about Clark, that theirs was an easy fling and it meant little to her now that she had gone through a personal crisis and realised how much she still loved Steve. He'd never have gotten back with her. Having it revealed Clark simply 'forgot' he loved Lois and was forced to move on to someone else made more sense to me.

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@saintwildcard: Stupidly insulting a person because of a fact that you refuse to admit.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SaintWildcard

@beautifultemptress: Seriously, stop double replying and deleting one to me. Learn to use the edit button.

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: This is not blind devotion. And you were obviously hurt by the facts, since you reacted so unreasonable. superwonder fans always react this way to truth and assumption.

I know how to use a button. There was just a problem with the phone browser.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I know how to use a button. There was just a problem with the phone browser.

Considering that it's the 5th time you've done it, I doubt it. Just take your flat earth level theory, elsewhere.

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@saintwildcard: The fact that there are problems with the browser is true. Do not be a child and admit the truth about secret romance.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beautifultemptress: I'll give your "theory" the same reverence I give to the flat Earth theory... which is none. Go bother someone else with your delusions

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@saintwildcard The 'bs' Tomasi threw in was a mercy kill...think about it, what would N52 Supes have done if he hadn't fused? Diana had come to terms with how she really felt about Clark, that theirs was an easy fling and it meant little to her now that she had gone through a personal crisis and realised how much she still loved Steve. He'd never have gotten back with her. Having it revealed Clark simply 'forgot' he loved Lois and was forced to move on to someone else made more sense to me.

2 responses. I had many, but these are the big two

1-what would N52 Supes have done if he hadn't fused?

Nothing... cus he would have been dead (or essentially dead, considering that the fusion is total BS both as a fusion itself and now that it was somewhat retconned). He's dead, so he would have done nothing. Which even if he wasn't, in the new Rebirth timeline, they never dated anyway, so it didn't matter. What happens after means nothing to a corpse. I just wanted to move on, I knew that nothing could be done to save my Superman, so I would have liked to have gotten kicked in the teeth as little as possible. Is that too much to ask?

2- Having it revealed Clark simply 'forgot' he loved Lois and was forced to move on to someone else made more sense to me.

Irony being that just this year the phrase "just forgot" was so controversial for how bad it is to justify a story beat. It applies here as well

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: You do not want to admit the truth, but the secret romance is a fact. Superman's reaction to what Lois told Bruce about it. The twice-mentioned secret romance with Superman on the dark side of the moon, on which Batman's cave is located and the writers confirm their romance, all this confirms, thst the words not theory but fact. Even the fact that Superman himself said that he wants to be with Lois you will also deny, although the comics prove the opposite. But you

No Caption Provided

So spare me from your silly comments.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beautifultemptress: a lot of talk and yet zero evidence you've shown. Until you've shown said evidence, I won't take you on your delusions

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaintWildcard

@beautifultemptress: What I truly find hilarious about this nonsense of yours, is that for some reason you need it to be true for a version of a character that is dead and was a controversial version. Do you do this nonsense with any SM/WW story? Is Lois still alive in Kingdom Come? Is Hyperman just the love child of Lois in that book? I've heard of this nonsense theory before, and there is no credence to it. I've read every single Superman story in the New 52, so you are pulling shit out of your ass.

Edit- Found a blog with the theory, and yeah, you're a few light bulbs short of a dozen.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
    The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know... As someone who didn't invest into comics until the New 52 started this, thread makes me sad about the fate of New 52 Superman.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because that didn't work out for them when they briefly tried to get together and they both movied with their lives (bless Rao that it didn't happen and I had a several blessed years of respite of Clois in comics).

Funny enough, that's kinda like mirror image of pre-Flashpoint verse - when Supes managed to screw up his date with Diana and went to dating Lois while still harboring some feelings for Dee. Was that right or wrong morally, not my place to judge.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZariusII

@sanohibiki Clark had lingering feelings for Di, but he realised Lois meant a lot more to him than she ever did. They had the opportunity to get together when they spent a thousand years together in another dimension, Diana, unfortunately treated as a potential home wrecker back in those days (pining for him even when married), was putting the moves on him (morally reprehensible) but Clark held firm, he had made his choice and it wasn't her. it will never be her except in badly written else worlds, cautionary tales like Kingdom Come (which was never meant to be taken as gospel, and where she only had a chance because the true love was dead) and absolute objective crap like Frank Miller's DK universe where it's version of Diana is night and day apart from her usual depiction and a disgrace to her character.

I don't count the New 52 because Diana used Clark there, and his love for Lois and vice versa had been greatly diminished by Manhattan.

The animated movies handle the end of the N52 romance much less awkwardly...Diana simply comes to realise Clark harbours more feeling for Lois and lets him go. They stay friends and Diana communicates more with him and Lois. In Rebirth, they're only acquaintances now

S/WW will forever be a toxic incompatible relationship, an absurdist power fantasy for people who can't understand the joy of conventional human companionship. Bless Rao that it will forever be regarded as a brief and ever so flawed experiment. Diana never loved Clark. Clark chose Lois. End of the story, have a nice life (but hey, considering S/WW fans still spend their time reliving five terrible years, maybe they should GET one)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintWildcard

@zariusii: Oh god, are you quoting Immortal Beloved? And not only that but there are some weird contradictions on your level of acceptance of WOnder WOman in that story but not in Miller's work. And IIRC you stated at one point you said you liked that as an SM/WW story, but here you clearly see how anti SM/WW the story actually is. Lot to unpack, but I'd like to first give a brief overview with the problems Immortal Beloved presents from a character perspective of WOnder WOman.

I'm pretty sure Immortal Beloved was written as the antithesis to Kingdom COme, because in KC, Superman at some point moves on with Wonder Woman, but in IB, he refuses to move on at all for 1000 years. You see it as some grand gesture of romance, but IMO since there was never a carrot being dangled and Superman wasn't being promised to return to Lois, him not moving on for 1000 years comes off as creepy rather than romantic. But to each their own on that part, but what is an objective fact is how badly the story treats Wonder Woman to get some petty point across to the audience. It uses her as some sort of show pony who was open to being with Clark, but he kept rejecting her.Now, I've been consistent on this issue, whether it be her or in the JL Timm cartoon. I'm not against the notion of any of the Trinity dating (even if I have a preference), but commit to it and treat Diana with respect when doing do. Don't dangle her around and have her fawn over one of the other two, because it's mistreating this iconic female icon for the sake of making one of the big two looks like Chads. They could have just used some generic WW stand in, like a Valkyrie, and not use WW in such a disrespectful manner.

But I do think it's funny how you hold that story in such high regard, even if you think WW is badly used there, but then look down on Miller's work and disregard it cus WW is written badly there. Maybe apply the same sentencing with that ax evenly

The animated movies handle the end of the N52 romance much less awkwardly...Diana simply comes to realise Clark harbours more feeling for Lois and lets him go.

Is that what they did? Sheesh, now I'm glad I never watched it. Once again, putting down WW to prop up Lois Lane. It's like it's to much to just say "they parted ways naturally cus the relationship ran it's course". I recall reading that in Pre 52, Clark dumped Cat cus he was in love with Lois. Writers inability to have the character end relationships in a variety of ways, and can only be done cus Clark only has eyes for Lois is a crutch these writers need to move from. Yes, Clark can end up with Lois, but put some effort guys.

S/WW will forever be a toxic incompatible relationship, an absurdist power fantasy for people who can't understand the joy of conventional human companionship. Bless Rao that it will forever be regarded as a brief and ever so flawed experiment. Diana never loved Clark. Clark chose Lois. End of the story, have a nice life (but hey, considering S/WW fans still spend their time reliving five terrible years, maybe they should GET one)

Loading Video...

And I'm not replying cus I think this is aimed at me. I had this little speech written up about an infinite multiverse, but this is long enough as it is. But this kind of reminds me of Darkman, who would state things like an SM/WW child would never work cus he'd be too powerful, which is funny cus me and my friends love Hickman's F4 run and specifically Franklin Richards. But yeah, nothing is impossible

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Won't let me edit the stupid thing. ANyway, correction, It was Distant Fires that you liked. I got that and Immortal Beloved confused.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard Yes, Distant Fires was good, if a little cruel to Diana...and again, Lois was dead and out of the way, so that was the only way Di could 'win' yet again.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: that only happened because the writers had decided to kill him. Had be lived he and wonder woman would have just gotten back together somehow.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Honestly, at some point I expected it to end and I gave it like 5 years, which we got close. I always wondered how they could end it, in a way that neither character was burnt in the process. This was probably the safest way for them to do it. Total bitch move though. I just wish we had gotten better stories, or at least not interrupted by events.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I actually liked them together. It actually made sense for them to be together. The one thing it did was take a little vulnerability from Superman though. I would love to see an elseworld story about them raising some krytonian/amazonian hybrid. I am like you. I knew it would end. The one thing about comic is that they always return to the status quo. Rebirth kind of ruined Lois. No way would she let her son go off on an adventure with his madman of a grandfather. People complain about the new 52 but rebirth ruined jorel and lois.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SaintWildcard

@christianrapper: As did I. As time went on, it went from an admittedly surface level appeal to a deeper admiration of the potential it has. IMO, there's som irony because I think people view the relationship as this simple Jock marries the Cheerleader thing (Bruce TImm's words), but actually it can be this very deep relationship (depending on how you write them) where they both complete eachother.

I just wish DC had put more effort into how it all started and had writers that actually cared or had an idea of what to do with it. I hold this belief that not only was Tomasi and Manhke a bad fit for the book, but Tomasi in particular was probably there to tank it. As for Manhke, I don't think he had any malice towards the book, in fact I think he actually gave it his all, but his art style was not a good fit for the book. It needed a softer prettier look, like what Daniel's brought

Well we are going to get that with Golden CHild next month, although I don't have a huge level of confidence in Miller. If nothing else, it'll at least be better than Year One because it'll actually have good art. It does seem like an interesting take, but it wouldn't be my preferred family dynamic. I like to envision their dynamic somewhere between the Fantastic 4 and Boruto. But yeah, seeing their kids have to deal with crazy sci fi villains and if Diana is a demi god, also having to deal with their crazy family of Gods. It's all super cool and ripe with potential.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ZariusII

@christianrapper To be fair, the current era of "Rebirth" is ruining a lot of relationships at the moment (Steve leaving Diana because they have no time for one another, Mera attacking Arthur because he's nervous about being a dad, Iris blaming Barry for Wally going loco in Sanctuary ), about the only stable relationships presently are Bruce and Selina (which also went through a bit of a trial), and yes, to an extent, Lois and Clark

Rebirth damaged Lois, but it didn't 'ruin' her, as Bendis has made it pretty clear that Jon turned out perfectly fine based on how well Lois and Clark taught him to be resolute and strong...and Lois and Clark have handled the whole thing like troopers. Their status quo has only went through a slight change, but they're still the resourceful, headstrong, kind and loving people they were before they sent Jon out into space, and how they're coping with all of the difficulties they've been facing since then has been nothing short of inspirational. Lois and Clark remain very much the quintessential true power couple, unlike the amazon who can't nail down any relationship without taking it for granted or considering it a 'distraction'

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.