Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18881 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why Scott Snyder is Writing Superman

• 68 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Not too long ago there was a discussion about writers, characters and sales. Is it the characters that sell books or the writers working on them? It's obviously a little of both but just because a popular character like Batman has several titles or may guest in others, doesn't automatically mean it'll be a top seller. Looking at the data, you can see that not all Batman titles sell the same.

Putting Scott Snyder and Jim Lee on a book, you know it's going to sell.

No Caption Provided

If it is a matter of top writers being able to generate interest and sales, why would DC put its top writer, Scott Snyder, on a Superman title? Snyder addressed this on Twitter:

BTW - someone asked me the other day if DC pushed me toward SUPERMAN b/c he's A-list, as opposed to letting me do a mid-tier book and try to build it. Answer is simple though, when Dan D. asked me what I had a story in mind for in addition to Batman, the answer was Superman. Had a story I've wanted to do for a long time, my big Superman tale, and so given the chance, I jumped. DC wasn't trying to put me on A-list characters.

For all I know they'd prefer me to boost a mid-tier - don't know! I just had an idea for Superman I've been dying to do - and when that chance opened, had to take it. But when time opens, maybe my next idea will be for a mid-tier character. Who knows?

But you have to follow your stories, if you get the chance. I'd be happy to take a mid-tier character again (loving working on Swampy, for example - just as important to me as Bats and Supes), and would happily do more mid-tier characters, but only if that's where my best stories are. I follow the story I'm most excited about. What kind of writer would I be if I sat around thinking about which properties I could boost for DC? Which mid-tier books I could maximize... No way. If my favorite story is for an A-lister, and I get the chance - I'm there. If my best story is for a mid-tier and I have the chance , I'm there. Right now, my best licensed character stories are for Swampy, Superman and Batman :)

Sounds great. "Follow the story." Scott is in a position where he is able to do that. But it's great to see that he is allowed to tell the stories he wants rather than have the powers that be try to force him on some random book in order to create sales for that.

We'll have to wait until next summer to see more about what this story exactly is.

If you haven't already, check out our interview with Scott and Jim from NYCC where they talk about Superman.

Update

Scott's been making other little updates as well.

Would've happily done the story in Superman or Action , but DC was looking to launch new Supes title for 2013 for his 75th

Also the title is not MAN OF STEEL as many have thought. This seems to go along with the fact that I don't recall actually hearing that mentioned at New York Comic Con.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CircularLogic

See, it's great to hear this. I think that's going to be the difference between Scott Snyder's Superman and Grant Morrison's that's out right now. Reading Action Comics, I can't shake the feeling that Grant was just doing a huge favor for DC to try and get people to give a damn about a Superman story, in exchange for letting him run free on Multiversity next year.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mattwing87

I don't care for Superman at all but I like Scott Snyder so I might be persuaded to give this new Superman book a try!

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MisterKetch

I feel like the last person DC wants to piss off would be Snyder. He's got a big enough fan base plus his track record on American Vampire proves he could probably do pretty well with creator owned. Not to mention he seems like such a sweet guy, this wouldn't be a liefield twitter rampage, if DC crossed Snyder in the wrong way you know he would probably put his side across in a very sympathetic way, so i'm inclined to believe that Didio was more then happy to give him a superman story (cause im guessing the MOS book was in the works already for the 75th anniversary) just as im sure they would have given him booster gold, legion of heroes, or a solo etrigan series with him as a pirate.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondasch

This is interesting, sure, but I feel at this point that Mr. Snyder may be over extending himself by taking on so many projects

jaytiz27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jaytiz27

I'm not much a superman fan but I will defo be getting it with Snyder writing it. Jim lee ain't to bad either.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By sethysquare

great to hear this Scott. I admire your work!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

@dondasch: I think he's aware of his work load. AV is going on hiatus while he works on THE WAKE. Superman isn't due until summer-ish so he and Jim have plenty of time to get a head start.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By dreamfall31

I'd pick up a Superman comic by him even though I'm not too big on the character.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By kennybaese

@CircularLogic: I doubt that. Having read both All Star Superman and Supergods, it's clear that Morrison has a really strong affinity for the character. He already got people to give a damn about a Superman story with All Star. I think that Action is just another take on the character from him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

@G-Man: Summer? I'd heard a rumour that Snyder's title might be released to coincide with Superman's 75th anniversary in February. Still summer would give Snyder and Lee longer to work on that series and if it's all the better for it, I won't complain.

livlig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By livlig

It must be fantastic to have that kind of freedom, and with a writer like Scott I'm not going to complain. I love his work and just pray he continues to be great - and not fall victim to blandness. Which I don't think he will, but I've always been a pessimist. ; )

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spideycap

Love Snyder. I put his Batman run up there with DKR and year one, and his Swamp Thing is greatness. He just might be exactly what old Supes needs.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By saoakden

I am SUPER excited for this upcoming Scott Snyder Superman book. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. & To hear the writer of one my favorite New 52 comics (Batman) is going to be writing Superman blew my mind away. My mind probably went all the way to were Krypton was when I read the news. I like Jim Lee's art in Justice League so I know its going to be written by a great writer and its going to look good. Man a lot of exciting things happening for Superman coming up. Awesome crossover, new writers writing Superman books Scott Snyder writing a new Superman book, its going to be great. I think hearing Scott Snyder was going to write Superman was the best announcement at NYCC or one of the best. Definitely in the top 2.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Icon

@saoakden said:

I am SUPER excited for this upcoming Scott Snyder Superman book. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. & To hear the writer of one my favorite New 52 comics (Batman) is going to be writing Superman blew my mind away. My mind probably went all the way to were Krypton was when I read the news. I like Jim Lee's art in Justice League so I know its going to be written by a great writer and its going to look good. Man a lot of exciting things happening for Superman coming up. Awesome crossover, new writers writing Superman books Scott Snyder writing a new Superman book, its going to be great. I think hearing Scott Snyder was going to write Superman was the best announcement at NYCC or one of the best. Definitely in the top 2.

Agreed. :]

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By supermanfan1234

im excited for this but i really hope scott doesnt get too big headed

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By GothamRed

I hear the Superhero market is pretty prosperous in the DCU

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By lifeboy
    I hope its available for mail subscription because i am getting this. and an extra $27 per year be damned!
    lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By lifeboy
    Looks like if we are watching a courting relationship between dc and scott snyder. Lol. Awwww...... new loves are so cute.....
    neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By neiliusprime

I think he will do just fine with Man of Steel

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LaserLambert

I thought it was because he thought having two people named Snyder doing Superman related things next year would be funny.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy said:

I hope its available for mail subscription because i am getting this. and an extra $27 per year be damned!

I bet they'll make it a $3.99 title. Snyder's Batman started out as a 32 pager then made it to 40 when they started The Night of the Owls (I'm sure because they knew people would buy it), so I think since Snyder is writing it, they will give him his own 40 pager (not including AC, Batman has DC and his own title).

I am super super excited about this and I hope it comes out in February to coincide with the 75th anniversary instead of summer.

Avatar image for dantetheredknight
    DanteTheRedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish he did the Superman series instead of doing a Superman series.

Beserkerfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Beserkerfury

He shouldn't waste his time on such a lame ass character,no writer can save superman unless they scrap him and make him a worthwhile character.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#25  Edited By CircularLogic

@kennyshat: I don't doubt that he doesn't have an affinity for Superman, All-Star Superman is fantastic, and probably up there with Red Son as one of my favorite Supes tales of all time. That said, I don't get that same feeling from Action Comics, it really feels to me like DC saw how well All-Star did and really pushed Grant Morrison to do a run, since he's their go-to guy for revitalizing big name titles people have lost interest in.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mbecks14

I love Scott Snyder so I have a lot of hope he can bring Superman back!

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Lets see Snyder can revive Supes. Very few can. I'll give it a shot

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kennybaese

@CircularLogic: He definitely does seems to revamp a lot of monthly superhero books that he works on. His Animal Man and Doom Patrol runs are certainly good examples of that, and he certainly changed the status quo with Batman and Superman. I think the truth probably sits somewhere in the middle. With his Batman run, Morrison took a lot of golden and silver age ideas and characters and updated them to work in a modern context (how well they work is up for debate, but I'm a big Morrison fan, so I think most of it is quite good), and it seems like he's doing the same with Superman. It wouldn't be surprising to me if DC approached him about doing this book, but the book still feels very Morrison to me. If feels like a Golden Age story if it was told today.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By derf_jenkins

am i reading this right ?its not going to be titled Man of Steel?

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#30  Edited By Cavemold

what is it going be called? superman already taken

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By doordoor123

@G-Man said:

@dondasch: I think he's aware of his work load. AV is going on hiatus while he works on THE WAKE. Superman isn't due until summer-ish so he and Jim have plenty of time to get a head start.

And lord knows Jim needs a head start. He had a HUGE head start in Justice League. I think they said he knew a year prior to launch? And I think Justice League was written in the same respect. That is the reason I think the characters felt different. Because by the time Johns wrote this Wonder Woman, GL and Green Arrow, no one even decided how they were going to write their versions.

Jim Lee is doing a lot over at DC and I can understand not having time to get everything in when it needs to be, but if he is going to commit to a project like this, then he really needs to commit. I have SO much respect for Capullo after getting twelve issues in without stopping. Lets hope Lee can do something similar this time.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By reignmaker

This will be a fun book to pick up once the Superman movie comes out.

alex6166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By alex6166

This book will be so cool the Universe will literally explode.... LITERALLY!

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By wessaari

With a new team on a Supes title with Lobdell and Rocafort, its surprising that they would make another Supes title. Now Snyder is, in my opinion, the top writer at DC so if you are going to have a new Super title he is the way to go, but I'm afraid Supes is going to turn into that character like Batman with 5 titles on him. Superman is not my favorite character, and Lobdell is starting to bring him back to life in the Superman title, I would have waited to see if Lobdell can pull off his work instead of putting him on the Superman title and then making another one as insurance. I would have preferred a title for characters that havent yet seen the light of day. We dont need another Bat, Supes, or GL title. With that said, Snyder is gonna definitely cook up something big for this new title, and with Jim Lee at his side, things are looking up and hopefully they can prove me wrong

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheThe

In modern times, Superman is "dated" and out of the place. I''m wondering if it is possible to do a great and interesting story about a stereotype without changing too much of his essence. Snyder and Lee are talented, but Superman is an idea of the ultimate superhero and this kind of material is difficult to write.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#36  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Snyder is doing a good job on Batman. He'll do a good job on Superman as well.

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Wolverine0628

I love his explanation. If Scott Snyder has an idea for a Superman story, I say let him have it. He's earned it.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By jointron33

@Lvenger: .........AC #1 came out in in June

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By jointron33

@TheThe:In modern times, smoking crack is seen as fun. Go figure.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By longbowhunter

Looking forward to seeing what Scott has in store. I'm not a huge Superman fan, but I love a good story.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Eternal19

@TheThe said:

In modern times, Superman is "dated" and out of the place. I''m wondering if it is possible to do a great and interesting story about a stereotype without changing too much of his essence. Snyder and Lee are talented, but Superman is an idea of the ultimate superhero and this kind of material is difficult to write.

he's not really out of place. A character that has been going on for over 70 years and is a pop culture icon and whos comics are bestsellers is not out of place, superman has many great modern storiesthat show that he isnt a dated concept. the things that superman stands for and the charecter itself applies to evry time period. Im not saying that everything about the charecter is completely modernized just like not everything for batman is completely modernized im just saying that if you read his comics he's not as "dated" as you think he is.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SandMan_

Because....Its Superman!

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ChernobylCow

Cast me in the lot of:

a)don't care about superman

b)probably going to read issues 1-3 of snyder's new series simply because he's on it.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#44  Edited By pspin

Trade or issues? Trade or issues? Trade or issues? What do I do!?!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Eternal19 said:

@TheThe said:

he's not really out of place. A character that has been going on for over 70 years and is a pop culture icon and whos comics are bestsellers is not out of place, superman has many great modern storiesthat show that he isnt a dated concept. the things that superman stands for and the charecter itself applies to evry time period. Im not saying that everything about the charecter is completely modernized just like not everything for batman is completely modernized im just saying that if you read his comics he's not as "dated" as you think he is.

Thank you, Eternal19. I'm sick of people complaining about how Superman is "dated" or that he lacks pathos as some people (*cough, Max Landis, cough*) have said. Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster created Superman out of need for a modern champion and a crusader against social injustice (during a time when Hitler was in power in Europe) and also as an allegory for the immigrant experience. Both of which are concepts that are very relevant to today's culture. Its only with the 50s that the character began being portrayed in a much more "cookiecutter" fashion because...those were the 1950s, where anything different was shunned. Also, I'd say being one of the only few survivors of a dead race/planet gives a character plenty of pathos and internal conflict. Therefore, saying that Superman is "unrelatable" or "dated" is just untrue.

Superman was basically in the same vein as the X-Men before the X-Men even existed.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Gambit1024

I can't wait. The best DC writer writing the best DC character. Dream come true, really.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By YMCMB

What is it gonna be called then?

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By modunhanul

JUST TAKE MY MONEY!

ganthetjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ganthetjr

When Geoff Johns decides to leave Green Lantern (take your time though, Geoff), I'd like to see it handed to Scott Snyder. After Geoff's massive, cosmic epic, I think it'd be fantastic to see Snyder dig into the characters a bit more than a space opera allows for.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Lvenger

@jointron33: Oh I'm confusing Superman's birthday for his anniversary. My bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.