Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why doesn't Superman have a Sonic Scream?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Every muscle he has functions at super levels, right? Shouldn't his vocal chords do the same?

I am not a big Superman reader so my knowledge is what everyone knows, you know the bascis

Maybe it's considered "girly" being more female heroes and villains are prone to having "Sonic Screams" Just don't tell Sean Cassidy though

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Green Skin

Maybe he does have a sonic scream, but no one has made him scream like a lil girl to discover it.  Seriously though, he doesn't need another power. He's already like a swiss army knife as it is.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Green Skin said:
    Maybe he does have a sonic scream, but no one has made him scream like a lil girl to discover it.  Seriously though, he doesn't need another power. He's already like a swiss army knife as it is.
    I don't know, maybe he's a Mariah Carey fan and sings in the shower.

I'm not saying he should have one, I'm asking, logically shouldn't he be able to do that
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Kallarkz

Superman 1 with Christopher Reeves when Lois Lane dies was Superman's first Sonic Scream. 
    Had that on my surround sound and it blew my ears OUT.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Green Skin
    @cattlebattle said:
    @Green Skin said:
    I don't know, maybe he's a Mariah Carey fan and sings in the shower.  I'm not saying he should have one, I'm asking, logically shouldn't he be able to do that
    Lol. 
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Timandm

Actually, you can imagine him having GOBS of powers they don't focus on...  You ever wonder how loud he could scream?  Just the volume alone could be deafening if not deadly.  He's able to vibrate his molecules at ridiculo speeds, shoot beams of energy from his eyes...etc...

So, should he have sonic scream?  It makes perfect sense. He has control over his vocal chords, can vibrate various parts of his body rapids, can push ridiculous volumes of air from his lungs...  Maybe he has a host of powers that he simply has not invested time in learning to use them.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Timandm said:
    Actually, you can imagine him having GOBS of powers they don't focus on...  You ever wonder how loud he could scream?  Just the volume alone could be deafening if not deadly.  He's able to vibrate his molecules at ridiculo speeds, shoot beams of energy from his eyes...etc...  So, should he have sonic scream?  It makes perfect sense. He has control over his vocal chords, can vibrate various parts of his body rapids, can push ridiculous volumes of air from his lungs...  Maybe he has a host of powers that he simply has not invested time in learning to use them.
    Maybe he just forgets to use them....lol
    sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

#8  Edited By sithfrog
    @Green Skin said:

Well put.  Just because Supes could (may?) have a sonic scream, there is no reason he needs any more abilities!
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Timandm
    @cattlebattle
    Could you imagine?  LOL!  If you had hundreds of different powers... How would you keep it all straight?  How many times would you zap someone with your eye beams before you remembered you even HAVE a sonic scream, or  a deadly finger snap, or a radioactive nostril-blast (ewww.) 
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timandm
    @Green Skin said:
    Whereas, screaming like a little girl is my first form of self defense...LOL!
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Timandm said:
    @cattlebattle: Could you imagine?  LOL!  If you had hundreds of different powers... How would you keep it all straight?  How many times would you zap someone with your eye beams before you remembered you even HAVE a sonic scream, or  a deadly finger snap, or a radioactive nostril-blast (ewww.) 
    Thats why I love omnipotent type villains, like reality warpers for instance, they can realistically just blink a person out of existence, but because the hero can't lose, they just make a tree come to life or something stupid like that (there has been exceptions though)

It' like, dude, out of your whole ridiculous arsenal, you went with that??
    silverman201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By silverman201
    @cattlebattle
    Kryptonians possess super scream as displayed by Supergirl though Superman doesn't scream very often he has shown to use it while singing to get rid of Darkseid.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Black Bolt resents the association between screams and little girls. The fact he's Marvel most powerful earthbound hero is testament to that (now that Sentry is dead and Surfer is Cosmic).

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ssejllenrad

Maybe he does... End of Darkseid? Final Crisis?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By PowerHerc

Because, back during the Silver Age, DC;

A) Never thought of it.

B) Didn't consider it cool enough to give him.

C) Didn't need to give it to him because no other hero with it became powerful or popular enough for them to feel they had to endow him with it, too.

or

D) They considered it to feminine (i.e.; Black Canary) for the "Man of Steel."

UltraHeroix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By UltraHeroix
    @Kallarkz said:
    Superman 1 with Christopher Reeves when Lois Lane dies was Superman's first Sonic Scream. Had that on my surround sound and it blew my ears OUT.
    That was probably the coolest part of the movie.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By RedK

he does have it he just dosen't use it, but it was shown that supergirl stopped an eartquake with a hyper-sonic whistle in a issue of legion of superheroes

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By Dracade102
    @ssejllenrad said:
    Maybe he does... End of Darkseid? Final Crisis?
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @The_Tree said:
    Silly, Superman doesn't super-scream...
    If anything, he super-shouts. He is SuperMAN afterall. ;P
    This is actually similar to what I was going to say. Super strength in the vocal cords wouldn't really make the pitch of a scream any different to mimic a power like Black Canary's. The strength of his lungs and diaphragm make the force of the air more powerful so he could scream and make a large force, but he's better off puckering up and just blowing air.
    I think I've successfully taken this topic too seriously. You're welcome.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

I don't see why he couldn't be able to.. But would he ever really need to use it?

TheRedRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheRedRobin

He's already overpowered enough
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Green Skin said:

Seriously though, he doesn't need another power. He's already like a swiss army knife as it is.

Dude, you know who's going to write Superman now don't you ?

The guy who gave him the power to recognize people by looking at their DNA.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Timandm
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @Green Skin said:

Seriously though, he doesn't need another power. He's already like a swiss army knife as it is.

Dude, you know who's going to write Superman now don't you ?  The guy who gave him the power to recognize people by looking at their DNA.
    Oh GET OUT!  Really???

He can recognize people by their DNA now?!?!?  What, solar energy charges his brain up so that it now has UNLIMITED STORAGE CAPACITY, INSTANT RECALL, and ... all that...  ?????

How long till he changes that S on his chest to a big G...  god man...
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Timandm said:
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @Green Skin said:

Dude, you know who's going to write Superman now don't you ?  The guy who gave him the power to recognize people by looking at their DNA.
    Oh GET OUT!  Really???  He can recognize people by their DNA now?!?!?  What, solar energy charges his brain up so that it now has UNLIMITED STORAGE CAPACITY, INSTANT RECALL, and ... all that...  ?????  How long till he changes that S on his chest to a big G...  god man...
    you gotta read All Star Superman, you just have to
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Green Skin
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @Green Skin said:

I'm actually okay with that ability.  If you think about it it's just an extension of his super sight.  It's still ridiculous, but at least it relates to an existing power.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Timandm said:
    Oh GET OUT!  Really???  He can recognize people by their DNA now?!?!?  What, solar energy charges his brain up so that it now has UNLIMITED STORAGE CAPACITY, INSTANT RECALL, and ... all that...  ?????  How long till he changes that S on his chest to a big G...  god man...
    It's logical, he uses microscopic vision, counts the chemical coding with super-speed and says "Hey Bruce !"

Haven't you read "Superman: Red Son" ? He goes to space, and counts every single human on earth...........twice.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Timandm
    @Feliciano2040: no, sorry... I haven't read a Super Man Comic in years except like for infinite crisis and what not...

The uber powerful characters don't interest me as much as do the ones that have actual limits...  Spider-Man, Batman, etc...  The more powerful a character becomes, the less suspense there is... They can't really be hurt... they can't really fail... there's just no challenge...

Also, Super-Man has been wearing red bikini underwear over his tights all these years and I've always found that disturbing....  Not that he doesn't have the figure for it...
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Timandm
    @cattlebattle: I have to?!?!  Well.. if I HAVE to... But, since everything is being undone with the relaunch and all, is there a point?
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Timandm said:
    @cattlebattle: I have to?!?!  Well.. if I HAVE to... But, since everything is being undone with the relaunch and all, is there a point?
    I'm just saying, you made a remark about him putting a G on his chest, he does all kinds of God like crap in that series, not just physically but mentally, after Luthor seizes his powers, he gets distracted by the fact that Superman pretty much sees every molecule in the air and such......it's pretty insane
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Timandm: Didn't you get the memo ? Nothing is being undone, it's just a revamp of the line, new costumes, new titles, that's it.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Timandm
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @Timandm: Didn't you get the memo ? Nothing is being undone, it's just a revamp of the line, new costumes, new titles, that's it.
    I've been hearing that some things are being undone...  I thought they were de-aging some of the characters...  Dick Greyson is out as Batman, and Bruce Wayne is coming back... I thought I heard that Dick was going to be a kid again... No?
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Timandm: Thing is that most likely what will happen has to do with Flashpoint, have you been reading that event ? I can explain this better if you tell me.

For starters, Dick Grayson is out as Batman and back as Nightwing, but he is not being "de-aged", for my own part I think Jim Lee just drew the characters with slightly younger features to catch up more readers.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Timandm

I haven't read it yet... I PLAN to....  I have some of the Flashpoint stories... I've only read #1 so far...  It seems that things have changed drastically in that issue, but I realize that could be just a temporary thing.

YoungThriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YoungThriller

Yea supes has a sonic sream,

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hoboseid

silver age super man had a planet busting sneeze

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

One more from Batman Superman 18.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenshima15:

That's why I've been saying for years, that Superman lives short of his true potential.

It's kinda sad and disappointing at the same time.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kenshima15

@heavenlydarkdragon said:

@kenshima15:

That's why I've been saying for years, that Superman lives short of his true potential.

It's kinda sad and disappointing at the same time.

Well this is N52 Supes, failty new. He's never used his Sonic screams in an offensive manner, P.N52 Supes on the other hand has used his sonic screams a number of times, seeing of course as he has more years on print.

No Caption Provided
    18_TerahertzWhiteNoise
    18_TerahertzWhiteNoise
    No Caption Provided
    Scream splits Ocean in half, could be heat vision, not sure.
    Scream splits Ocean in half, could be heat vision, not sure.

I've got a couple more sonic scream feats, tell me if you wanna see em!

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would hurt his own ears ....

Why doesn't he have TK powers like H'el or Kon-el?

Why does he fight like a brute and not use martial arts?

Why not use kryptonian gadgets like Batman uses earth gadgets?

Why not use weapons like wonder woman?

Why not Get a magician to get him magical warding?

If I were him I'd get all those, he could learn magic and science and build stuff faster than anyone but the flash. He doesn't even experiment with his powers despite Wrath pointing out he had more potential, the one power he played with left him drained for hours/days ...

DC writers dont think he should have them, so he does not...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

He kinda sorta does depending on whether the writers want that power to be used or not. Often though it's not really a regularly used power by Supergirl or Superman and it might be tied up with a distressed or angry emotional state. Kinda like heat vision I guess.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By segamarvel

https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/5n8ox9/on_sound_as_an_attack_vector_or_please_teach_your/

https://www.youredm.com/2015/10/13/a-sound-of-1100-decibels-would-create-a-black-hole-larger-than-the-universe/

https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/6ohuak/request_how_powerful_would_one_million_decibels/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.