Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Who here began reading superman comics with the new 52?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Who here began reading superman comics with the new 52? (41 votes)

I started with the new 52 37%
    I started years prior to the new 52 63%

Just curious as to how many people view New 52 Superman as their Superman and how many view Pre-52 Superman as their Superman.

This is MY guy.

• 
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By buttersdaman000

Years prior....i'm pretty sure the first DC comic I read was Kingdom Come. Its the story that got me into Superman, along with the JLU cartoons. However, i'm not quite sure when I started reading Superman specific comics...it was most likely Last Son or All-Star.

This is my Superman

No Caption Provided

But, N52 is growing on me quickly.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Post-Crisis Superman is THE Superman. New 52 Superman is a disgrace! A disgrace, I tell ya!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think the first time I read a Superman comic was during the Death of Superman. The first Superman comic I ever bought was the Superman/Madman Hullabaloo back in the late 90's. New 52 Superman has been pretty terrible, but the whole line is getting better.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I got into monthly comics from Superman new 52. Even then I knew it sucked for some parts. Beforehand I read library trades like Kingdom Come etc. I got into post crisis Superman by looking at the reading list from CV, I definitely prefer PC Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started reading superman with New 52, but I read tons of Justice League stuff pre new 52 so the pre new 52 superman is still my superman. I like the new 52 one too though.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SanoHibiki

I started seriously reading Superman comics around 2005-2006; must say that I spent quite a lot of money on them. If it were his comics since the middle of 90’s and forward, then I most likely read them.

In the end, I admit that my favorite ever Superman portrayal would be in New-52 AC, so thank you big time, Grant Morrison and Greg Pak. This is exactly how I always wanted and imagined him to be.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with the new 52

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Years prior to the new 52 but i'm throughly enjoying the new 52 and can't wait to see what else is going to be done with him.

Edit: I still don't get how people can claim that new 52 superman is a darker version of the character. Yes he is a younger character and is prone to getting angry but overall he is still the same character. He still is a inspiration and a ideal of hope. The only difference i've seen is him being a tactical fighter and maybe willing to kill but even that is heavily disputed due to how he reacted when he killed Doctor Light. Plus i'm still incredibly disgusted by the fact that some of the older superman fans here criticise the younger fans. It makes us look bad and frankly like a bunch of arrogant fanboys. We should be welcoming those who have been introduced to superman through the reboot.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

I'm not a noob.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

When New 52 Superman gets a moment equal to this, let me know

No Caption Provided

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

New 52 Superman has touching moments as well.
    New 52 Superman has touching moments as well.
    No Caption Provided

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Old school.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: The latter is my favourite moment in New 52 Superman's history so that is a good one. Neither measure up to that moment I posted above. That isn't only touching, it demonstrates Superman's morality, determination and inspiration all in one. Not to mention it was a great contrast to the rise of anti heroes and edgy heroes at the time.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@pperspectiveandreality: The latter is my favourite moment in New 52 Superman's history so that is a good one. In my opinion, neither measure up to that moment I posted above. That isn't only touching, it demonstrates Superman's morality, determination and inspiration all in one.Not to mention it was a great contrast to the rise of anti heroes and edgy heroes at the time.

Fixed.

I'm sure once he matures and defines his determination and inspiration, as I'm sure he'll do in Pak's run, I'm sure he'll get a moment such as the one you posted, albeit with a touch more flavor. It was a great contrast to the anti heroes and edgy heroes at the time you say? Superman rose to become something people needed you say? One may argue people need a tad more alpha male/confidence/do-the-right-thing mentality in today's world. This gives weight to my point that Superman, like all comic characters, are creatures of the zeitgeist. Inmy opinion, Superman, above all else, should be the hero we need him to be.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Im a new 52 kid.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was poor growing up so no comics for me, heck I didn't know what comics where till I was 12. I also was not a fan of Superman TAS, I thought the show was bland and in a time of the Anime boom and DBZ it could have been more action packed. Although Im also not that big a fan of the characterization on that show. When Kick Ass came out I went to go see it and that made me wanna buy the comic. I started buying some trades and Kick Ass 2, one day I noticed all the New 52 #1's and decided to check em out. Been a Superman fan ever since

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: To be blunt with you, it's not an opinionated statement to make by pointing out that the scan posted above is by far a superior representation of who Superman is and what he stands for than anything in the New 52 thus far. Objectively speaking, that scan encapsulates who Superman is and defines him in a brilliant way for the modern age far better than the entire New 52 has succeeded in doing so up until recently. And a moment like that in Action Comics 775 except with a touch more flavour? Please that's a ridiculously laughable suggestion. Not only was that story a product of its time but New 52 Superman isn't as morally rigid nor as inspirationally authoritative as his Pre New 52 incarnation was. DC have made it clear they want New 52 Superman to be flawed, hot headed and brash. Characteristics that don't fit with the character at all but hey they probably wanted to pull in the non Pre New 52 crowd who thought a Superman aspiring to be better and always doing the right thing was boring.

And given a rise of New 52 fans such as you and SW on here, it's a worrying thought that people actually prefer this version to the inherently modern but in keeping representation of the character before the reboot. You claim to have read some Pre Flashpoint stories yet you don't recognise the superior writing quality from Joe Kelly, Joe Casey, Greg Rucka, Chuck Austen and many more Pre New 52 writers. Why is that the case? What has attracted you more to this flawed, angry, edgy version of Superman instead of the Pre New 52 version who was both morally righteous and humanly emotional?

I do agree that Superman should be the hero we need him to be. And to be blunt again, what we need him to be is more like the Pre Flashpoint version, not the New 52/Man of Steel edgy, psychologically tortured emo Batman rip off. I despair at a possible future where people think the Man of Steel and New 52 versions are the true representations of the character. That will be a sad day indeed if my favourite character is shattered, desecrated and torn beyond repair by these false presentations.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

That's all still an opinion though. It isn't quantifiably provable by anything other than opinion. I'm sure you understand that in order to be a fact it must be indisputably certain. It must be absolutely provable. Nothing you said is provable. That scan encapsulates who Pre-52 Supermanwas not how every rendition should be. How would you feel if golden age fans went around saying that everything since the golden age is just okay and anyone who thinks Superman should be nice is not a Superman fan? He's being written as a younger guy. Of course he isn't as rigid or inspirationally authoritative. He hasn't gotten there yet. He's still trying to find his way. That is essentially what you have been doing for a while now. Your opinion supposits that I, and everyone else, must agree with you thet pre52 Superman is the best version of Superman. That's presumptuous and incorrect. As I statsed at the beginning of ths thread New 52 Superman is my favorite representation of the character. I have an affection for it because it is my first exposure to the character in the comic book medium. I like that he's a little more headstrong and emotionally driven. I can resonate with that. (You're a big fan of Mark Waid correct? Check this link out for why it;s so important for fans and writers to be able to connect with the character on some level.) That is an opinion that I am allowed to have just like you're allowed to believe the opposite. What is unfair of us is to representour opinions as facts an treat anyone who thinks otherwise with disdain or rudeness. Saying things like, "that's a ridiculously laughable suggestion" it comes off as rude and dismissive and indicative of someone not wishing to engage in dialogue but rather someone wishing to preach their POV from their high horse. This site is supposed to be fun so let's ty to keep it that way. You go on to say, "DC have made it clear they want New 52 Superman to be flawed, hot headed and brash. Characteristics that don't fit with the character at all but hey they probably wanted to pull in the non Pre New 52 crowd who thought a Superman aspiring to be better and always doing the right thing was boring.", I would assert that he's only been "brash" and "hotheaded" when written by Lobdell and, of all people, Geoff Johns; and that the latter part of your statement is a false equivocation. Could it be that people like myself, who wanted to read comics but was intimidated by the shear volume of material, were welcomed by the number 1's rather than number 728's?

Why is it that peoplewho have a different opinion than you is worries you? I recognize the good writing, I just prefer the new 52's characterization. As far as that last sentence in the second paragraph, I'll just say we have different views of how new 52 Superman actually is.

Just as you said to @superguy1591 in another thread, your bias is apparent at this point. I would like to talk with yu about this, but not when you're upset about it because that is the vibe I'm getting. I'll end this response by saying that golden age and silverage fans before you probably went through the same thing--and they still read and enjoy. Superman will be fine.

Edit: a few things have been edited.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the most subjective argument yet....heres why:

Preference depends on the character you grew with.............to those hating on the new 52 superman, they grew up with the post crisis superman, those who grew up with the pre-crisis superman dont like the post crisis superman, and those who started with the new 52 superman dont like the post crisis superman

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the most subjective argument yet....heres why:

Preference depends on the character you grew with.............to those hating on the new 52 superman, they grew up with the post crisis superman, those who grew up with the pre-crisis superman dont like the post crisis superman, and those who started with the new 52 superman dont like the post crisis superman

What I don't like is people acting all high and mighty and making it seem what I like is garbage compared to what they like. On the flip side I also don't like the "They hate something different argument".

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SaintWildcard

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I love the new 52 superman, i dont hate it. Technically the fact that people like or dislike something due to differences means that they hate something "different"........i mean look at the post crisis DC universe....everyone who grew up with the pre-crisis superman and the pre-crisis DC raged at the post crisis DC/Superman, history seems to be repeating itself, now with the new 52, those who grew up with the post crisis DC/superman hate the new 52 stuff, given enough time i think the new 52 will replace the post crisis era, and people will grow into it

until another reboot happens and people start complaining about how that reboot isnt as good as the new 52....people for ya!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I love the new 52 superman, i dont hate it. Technically the fact that people like or dislike something due to differences means that they hate something "different"........i mean look at the post crisis DC universe....everyone who grew up with the pre-crisis superman and the pre-crisis DC raged at the post crisis DC/Superman, history seems to be repeating itself, now with the new 52, those who grew up with the post crisis DC/superman hate the new 52 stuff, given enough time i think the new 52 will replace the post crisis era, and people will grow into it

until another reboot happens and people start complaining about how that reboot isnt as good as the new 52....people for ya!

My comment was aimed at you it was just in general. But when people use the "different" argument they make it sound like they have no reason to hate the new thing.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Started years before the new 52 and this new Superman DC wants to push is a joke. No matter what writer they put on him fails, I hope Johns can bring some of the old Superman back to the new 52

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been reading Superman long before New 52 but I still love him just as much as I did when I first started

Although I must say that the New 52 has helped me start collecting alot more

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Preach! you have hit every nail on its head here. The new crowd will never understand what Superman should stand for because many of them have no ideals yet, they are younger teenagers or people that new read Superman before but loved the dark edgy Nolan DC cinematic universe.

Comics go in cyclical one day there will be a new "What's so funny about Truth Justice and the American Way" and it will floor people and they will see the industry differently. It's not all about grit or darkness, it's about inspiring the down trotted. To get up be better people when entertaining them. Superman was the character we all should look to saying, I should be more like him, but now Superman is rude, depressed and arrogant, He is what I was when I was 16 and I used to read his books. Books that helped me become better, It's both disheartening and upsetting to see that.

One thing to remember is Superman and the morals and ideals he stands for are far bigger then DC comics now. He will become what he once was once again. It might just involve Didio and his joke of a reboot ending there reigns.

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i saw some comics before new 52 but never got into it but iv'e been reading his new 52 comics every week now

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.