Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What was bad about Smallville?

• 78 results
    Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

It wasn't about Batman

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1.Lana was to forced could not stand her. Why make her so much a drama queen. Her parents were lucky to die early and be spared.

2.they misses a chance to deepen Lois and make Chloe take on a bigger role and become Lois latter on giving the character much needed depth.

Lex and Clark were the best part of the show they should have kept him good and been a breath of fresh air.

Johnathan Kent was no where near the positive role model he was adipose to be. He simply missed that mark for he was what Clark got his wisdom from.

Lois center on the show a horrible bimbo with no brain and they wanted to make you think she would become the best investigative reporter wow really.

So much potential and they missed ever chance.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good up until he went to the planet then it started to go all over the place. It would take so much time to write up what I liked ad what I hated about the show so I'll just say what I always say about smallville. When Its good it really fu:)ing good, when it's bad it's pretty fu:(ing bad.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saint_wildcard said:

I plan on marathoning this show soon.

I did the same last year; in retrospect, that was a mistake on my part.

o-o

YOu guys make it seem like I'm walking into a death trap

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't about Batman

To be fair, every time Bruce appears in Gotham, nobody wants to see him

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By kiba

It wasn't too bad. Some dialog wasn't great and it was kinda slow at times but I thought the move to the daily planet was the best thing that happened since he graduated high school. Better than being a bum on the farm. Clark and Lana dragged on but her leaving in season 7 was an honest look at why they don't work. Her return in season 8 was bs fan service to the shippers. I liked Alison mack well enough but making her a Lois/ oracle hybrid wasn't the way to go I think. She should have died instead of tess. The changes to the villains was cool mostly. Bizzaro was really good imo.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 5 was good, and some of 6. That's it, in a 10 season run, which is pretty bad.

• They stretched out Clark's development waaay too long
    • The costume design after Season 6 took a huge decline in quality.
    • Doomsday being a poorly fitting rubber suit, and a darkness living in some troubled paramedic
    • Chloe, the halfrate hacker who took a wrong turn down the information super highway, hopelessly in love with Clark
    • Continuing to try and have Lex as a character after not being unable to reach an agreement with the actor who portrayed him
    • The cheesiness, melodrama, poor set design and bad acting. All of these apply to all CW shows equally however.

There was a lot I liked though. Welling's performance was great and so were Clark's parents. A lot of the earlier ideas were pretty damn cool, and the action for the first 8 seasons was generally well done and entertaining.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I to look forward to this Lana got on my nerves so bad I left it sometime around season 6. Always wondered how it went and I just could not take Lois since Chloe did the job better then any Lois Lane in any comic I ever read. This says something for me because I hate Lois but love Chloe. The Lost romantic in us all. If I had to write a tale it would have it on the lines of Chloe becomes Lois takes her pen name. They marry grow old ( Chloe does not Clark) then enter Diana Princes and the story goes on to become epic. We get our cake and we eat it to.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

o-o

YOu guys make it seem like I'm walking into a death trap

(In ominous tone) This is your life, your choices … and you consequences…

If seriously, to the middle of seventh season during my own marathon I was appalled/enraged by this Smallville’s interpretation of Superman’ legend to the point that for two months after I couldn’t bear to read or watch anything Superman-related at all :P

@arthurkerr:

Is that about my reaction to Smallville’s marathon?

And yeah, out of many things Smallville done right or wrong, creating Chloe was the best thing done.

Clana went south in the middle of second season; Lois was ok as energetic and blunt older cousin of Chloe, but when they started pushing Clois… Felt forced like I can’t describe; the only redeeming quality about Smallville Lois is Erica’ looks imo. Plus I feel that in later seasons Chloe’ character was somewhat damaged, with all those conspiracies, secret societies, Brainiac possessions and changing meteorite mutations. Meh.

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was bad about Smallville ?

Lol.

I think a more apt question would be "what was right about smallville".

And in case you wonder about the latter, the answer is kristin kreuk. Damn that chick is hot.

Ganman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ganman3

Sorry for necroing this thread. I found this on a Google search, and wanted to give my thoughts.

Smallville was doing great in its first three seasons, and the fourth season plot, while groan-worthy, was kind of an indicator of everything bad that was going to happen to the show. They should have ended it with Clark throwing the crystal in the arctic to form the Fortress of Solitude.

Smallville did too much side-stepping to fit in with the Superman mythos, and starting in season five, it became a show about Superman, not about Clark Kent. As much as I love that fifth season premiere (Marsters as Brainiac for the win, and a beautiful cinematic with the ooze and Depeche Mode), it wasn't Smallville anymore. It had stepped away from what it was trying to become.

They killed off Lex when Michael Rosenbaum didn't want to come back, and that resulted in all sorts of convoluted bull. We didn't need Lex clones- we didn't need disfigured Lex played by another actor- we didn't need a mindwipe to try to make it so Lex wouldn't know Clark was Superman.

There's that, and Smallville became a "Superman character of the week" segment. They graduated from meteor freaks to supervillains far too easily, ruining their show's central premise. They were committed to "no flights, no tights", as if it meant anything at all that they were staying away from Superman, while making their show about Superman anyway. The "no flights, no tights" rule was arbitrary, and made little sense, since it had already become Superman, minus the flight he should have learned when he found the Fortress of Solitude.

How else do they sidestep lore? Jimmy Olsen. They killed him off, because they wanted to hurt Chloe, and Jimmy was in the plot too early, only to introduce his younger brother, who surprise, goes on to be played by the exact same actor in eight years anyway. As people have said in this thread- they resorted to all manners of cheap soap opera tactics to keep their show going, and they were never sure whether they were making their own continuity, or following established lore.

If they'd just kept with their original premise, even beyond season 4, it could have been good. I don't know how they would have though, since clearly, Clark had to go off to Metropolis, and become "Superman". Or no, I'm sorry. "The Red-Blue Blur". (Now that's Sonic speed).

Again, I apologize. I know how forums work, and I wasn't meaning to bump a dead thread. It showed a much more current date in Google when I looked at it though, and I really wanted to add my thoughts about this somewhere. (Plus there's this somewhat contrary notion on forums that you shouldn't create a new thread if a thread talking about it already exists).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ganman3: There are threads that shouldn't be bumped or if bumped atleast contribute something to it. You did, so no worries bruh. Welcome to the Vine

Ganman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ganman3

@saintwildcard: Thank you! I apparently had an account already. I'm not sure how or why.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
    StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Smallville, But there was time you knew this show broke asf. They used like Lex's House as a set like 20 times it was for like Zod I think Doomsday, I don't think they could afford to actually flim a decent action scene. Clark's jacket when he was earlier in High School were nods but they were bad asf you knew if he was wearing that it stuff was going happen.

Martian Manhunter's Costume/Cosplayer jacket was soo bad broo I was like WTF, Black Canary was just trash idk wtf she was and Impulse idk even know his orgin so it's like whatever he still trash'

Cyborg suit is trash NOW THAT I AM WRITING ALL THESE SUITS DOOWN..... Bro CW has come a long way from having Justice League of Jackets Lana was hot asf but she was annoying

Knight101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Knight101

1. Some of the main cast, and guest stars were BADLY miscasted (I.E., Lana and Pete, General Zod...).

2. It took ten long years for Clark to learn how to fly.

3. And when Clark finally did learn how to fly, we only got to see close ups and CGI long shots for the last 5 minutes of the series finale. I waited 10 long years to see Clark change into Superman only to get a cop-out with a CHEAP EXCUSE from the showrunners.

4. Introducing nearly every Superman villain, and a few of his Super-Hero friends, LONG before their time.

5. Introducing Lois Lane and getting them married BEFORE he became Superman...

6. Turning Clark into a sort of vigilante wearing black BEFORE he became Superman... Seriously?! Black?! And he ALWAYS wore this! And then when he got a cooler looking costume a season later, he hardly ever wore it!

7. Knowingly put on a Red Kryptonite ring to hide from the pain of accidentally causing the loss of Martha’s unborn child. I’m sorry, I know this is before he became Superman but the Clark I know would NEVER run from his problems.

8. Clark tries to kill Brainiac, something a future Superman should NEVER do, and then he tries to lecture the Legion the of Super-Heroes that heroes don’t kill just episodes later. Then Clark makes the decision to kill again, proving he’s a hypocrite! This one ticked me off like no other.

9. Faaaaaar too much Kryptonite. It was like running water on this show! And way too many Kryptonite freaks of the week on top of all that! The showrunners even acknowledged this mistake and they STILL KEPT MAKING IT!!! As if that wasn’t enough, the the showrunners even wrote in ANOTHER meteor shower and showed even MORE Kryptonite freaks of the week!

10. Clark gets married, his wife dies, he’s smiling an episode later. Clark’s father dies, he quickly moves on from that as if it barely phased him. He meets an indian girl who tells him they are destined to be together and he just automatically believes her without proof. She dies in the same episode and he forgets all about her from that point on. Where are the consequences in this show? Where is the grief? Nearly non-existent.

11. Instead of seeking to understand why Lex prefers keeping his secrets, Clark judges him for it and they split as friends. It’s no wonder Lex hates Clark and turned out to be the way he did. Clark is an arrogant self righteous prick who thinks he’s right and everyone else who disagrees with him is wrong.

12. With the exception of a very small handful of episodes, Clark never wore glasses. Yeah, everyone (especially every enemy he fought) would have be the BIGGEST IDIOT to NOT recognize Clark Kent is Superman. Ten years and I find it very hard to believe glasses would work as a disguise since he hardly ever wore them.

13. Clark’s Dad, Jor, was a complete and utter DICK. I kept hoping he’d be revealed to be the Eradicator but it sadly never came to pass.

14. Yet another Crystal/Ice Fortress. Didn’t we already see this version in the Christopher Reeve movies?!

15. Perhaps one of the WORST offenders is the Clark and Lana mostly off and occasionally on romance. Not one, not two, but SEVERAL seasons were dedicated to Clark pining for Lana and when we finally see them together, it NEVER lasted beyond one or two episodes. By the end of the second season, I was sick of it and when the mostly off romance FINALLY came to it’s conclusion, I was BEYOND tired of it. Just thinking about this makes me want to throw my TV through the window...

16. X-Ray Vision was used once and then it was always like an X-Ray machine.

17. Clark never used Thermal Vision and it wasn’t until much later in the show’s run we learned he had “Micro Vision”, but was never shown.

18. I know Smallville was about the journey, but we should have seen more action! When Clark finally catches up with the bad guy of the episode, it takes him all of 2 seconds to deal with him and the episode ends! I found this annoying to no end! Only once in a while did we actually see a great fight, but most of the time we didn’t. I found Clark Vs. Doomsday the WORST offender of this along with that FAKE Darkseid. Clark’s biggest threats and it took seconds to deal with them...

19. Multiple Kryptonites. On top of all this, the showrunners got the colors mixed up. It’s GOLD Kryptonite that robs Superman of his powers NOT blue! It’s BLACK Kryptonite that turns Superman evil NOT Red.

20. Jimmy then not Jimmy...

21. Chloe Sullivan AKA Oracle rip off with an implied marriage to Oliver Queen when his soul mate is Dinah Lance AKA The Black Canary NOT Chloe!

22. Lionel Luthor kept showing up far too often even when his character's story was done.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My issues are these:

1. The excessive overuse of Kryptonite.

2. The Clark and Lana rollercoaster romance.

3. Clark not beating many meteor freaks/metahumans as easily as he should.

4. Clark depending on others for intelligence-related purposes.

5. It took Clark ten years to become Superman.

6. They killed off Kyla Willowbrook after one episode, even though she was infinitely more interesting than Lana, Chloe, and even Lois to an extent.

7. Too many Chris Reeve references

8. Christ Imagery

But for some reason, these didn't stop me from buying the entire series on DVD...

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never watched a single episode tbh. From my understanding it was either cheesy or boring or just used forced cameos. And it was a CW show so its expected to encounter teeny bopper drama on there.

SvenSeelie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because geeks flip out when anything is changed.

This is NOT a Superman show.

It's a Buffy the vampire slayer, but a guy does all the slaying show.

It's a good teen show, but it will never have a good rep because comic book fans are ridiculously annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed95594e07
    deactivated-62aed95594e07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smallville was about Clark Kent's journey to become the Superman we love. The show had made changes to the mythology. Jor-El had visited Earth, he chose Jonathan and Martha as Clark's foster parents, Kryptonite gave powers to random civilians etc. Even with all these changes, it was still a good show to watch. Smallville also gave us the best live action Lois Lane and her chemistry with Clark was incredible. I have watched it once and is planning to buy the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't a show about Superman, it was a show about the flash becoming Superman: they even called him "The Blur". Honestly, the only good thing about his portrayal was that they emphasized he had super speed.

Also didn't help that they only had 2 of the top 5 justice league members... okay this one is petty.

Also. Bizzaro and Ultraman seemed too similar.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pointless teenage angst for one, but all in all it wasn't so bad. Oh and doomsday.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lana Lang played by Kristin Kreuk was much Prettier than Lois Lane played by Erica Durnace. But that is just my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lana Lang played by Kristin Kreuk was much Prettier than Lois Lane played by Erica Durnace. But that is just my opinion.

I think they are pretty in different ways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: which way are u talking about ?

Although I already mentioned it was my opinion. Erica is hot too but her face is not as pretty .

Uallhoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chloe and oliver are better than oliver and felicity...Chloe stomps felicity.....I loved Durance's lois.......welling was a good young clark...that's it for smallville....but man,the villains were freaking lame, by totally screwing up doomsday, darkseid...and what was with the accidental impalings in just about every fight???...arrowverse stomps smallville..

.but I guess smallville's mishaps is what made watchable comic shows today

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those weird hoodies and leather jackets.

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

The basic premise of Smallville is the adventures of Clark before he became Superman. Okay, so what's he gonna do during that time?

Apparently, he does the exact same things he does as Superman but without the things that make him iconic, like the suit and the power of flight. By season 8, he was dating Lois Lane, working at the Daily Planet, fighting some of his iconic villains and even hanging out with his future Justice League pals.

Also, we don't even see him wear the suit. We only see the House of El symbol underneath his shirt.

What a waste.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.