Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What new 52 Superman needs is....

• 61 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

You fill in the blank.

My answer: A good fight with a character on his level. The Orion fight was cool but I thought it would be much bigger than it was. Superman needs something to show off his power. Thor fought Gorr and it showed us how strong he is. Superman needs to fight someone like H'el or Zod so he can get some good feats that display striking power and fight skill and ingenuity and combat speed

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#2  Edited By Liberty
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF

I would like to see him taken by Mongul onto War World. He could be captured and place into a tournament. They could take Martian Manhunter also. It would be a great way to introduce Mongul as a beast and on Superman's level while showing Superman cut loose. They could have Lobo and (Big Barda or Kalibak) in the tournament as well. Dasaad could be in the stands watching for prospects to add to Darkseid's army

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More depth. Superman's books should be about more than big fights. They need to show how his actions and his very existance affects the world.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon

Superman lacks a rich universe since John Byrne's MOS reboot.

Except of four supporting characters and the FoS Superman lacks a universe that his stories can be expanded on. In the Silver Age Superman had the Legion of Superheroes, Kandor, he traveled through time and space, an army of robots. As good as a base metropolis is it can't contain Superman as a character.

As for the supporting cast, well I actually think it is too small and one-sided considering Superman's impact to the world. Perry White, Jimmy Olsen we get to see them in every issue without actually adding anything new to their personalities or the readers enjoyment.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree his supporting cast should be flushed out more. But I want to see a good superman fight. That's just me though

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id like to see a better creative team

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: From New Krypton to new 52 all i see is literally fights! What i don't see is a superman story that moves me.
    You are a new reader so it's understandable that you wanna see Supes kick some serious a$$ but the fights aren't gonna make the books better, Superman v2 1-11 are an excellent example full of fights with a script that could be written on a napkin.

As much as rediculous the Silver age was the people actually new how to sell Superman.

Sorry if I came out somewhat offensive but i haven't seen a good Superman story since Morrison's AC. Superman Unchained is too early to tell.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queencorp15 said:

Id like to see a better creative team

A new writer... I hope Greg Pak can bring something new to the table. I'm liking what Snyder is doing with him but for some reason I think Superman is too childish. Granted, he IS young in the New 52, I just don't see him ever saying "Oh man!" like he did in H'el on earth (the only Lobdell issue I ever read).

There needs to be more characterization, sometimes I think Superman is fighting just for the sake of fighting. I don't see determination or drive in anything he does. It's like... he's doing it to save the earth, I just don't see the desperation and need to succeed. it's like I haven't seen Superman with a fear of failing.

If there's examples of that in the New 52, please do point me that way, I'd like to see it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SOG7dc

@squalleon: No offense taken. And I hate to get on this tangent but this is the reason why I want to write comics one day. I have so many ideas for characters to give them expanded mythos' an bada$$ fights. But back on topic maybe that is it. And as far as superman stories that have moved me I would suggest "For tomorrow" I know alot of people didn't like it but I absolutely love it...and "birthright" and what is superman v2?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Superman v2 is the new 52 Superman title. I don't know if you have read it but it is awful especially pre-Lobdell. As for the stories you suggested I already read them and thats the problem I have already read almost any "great" superman story out there :-P I am currently reading classic Silver age stories because I run out of material.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: yea i hope greg pak does good il give it a try

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SandMan_

@squalleon: true, I want a more expanded supporting cast.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Aw yeah I hav read all the new 52 superman title. And it has been pretty bad. Lobdell ha great ideas but very poor execution.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a more down to earth Superman.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sog7dc: A better costume. Preferably one that isn't armor. Maybe something like this

No Caption Provided

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SOG7dc
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

How about a consistent identity? We haven't had that since Morrison's earlier run on Action Comics.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: No. No I don't. It's armor. SUPERMAN DOESN'T WEAR ARMOR!!!!!!!!! Only time I accept that is if it's an Anti-Kryptonite armor, nothing more!!!!

And before you say that pic I posted is the same old costume, it isn't! The S-shield is black instead of yellow!!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

A) A character flaw or two.

B) An upper limit to what he can physically do.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A) A character flaw or two.

B) An upper limit to what he can physically do.

If you want these things then you shouldn't read Superman......

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@squalleon: Which is why I am not, and stopped being interested when Lobdell added the planet-benching BS.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A richer, fleshed out supporting cast, more villains that can give him physical challenges whilst acting as compelling foils for him along with a consistent feel and tone to the Superman world as a whole. It's stuck between Morrison's Golden Age social crusader and something a bit more Pre Flashpoint.

@sog7dc: No. No I don't. It's armor. SUPERMAN DOESN'T WEAR ARMOR!!!!!!!!! Only time I accept that is if it's an Anti-Kryptonite armor, nothing more!!!!

And before you say that pic I posted is the same old costume, it isn't! The S-shield is black instead of yellow!!

Really? You're being a tad picky mate I'm afraid. Superman wore armour loads of times Pre Flashpoint and the Kryptonians are an incredibly advanced race with technology light years ahead of Earth. I fail to see how wearing armour as a ceremonial respect for his home is any different from him wearing the Pre Flashpoint costume. Your logic is flawed for disliking the armour. Now if you complain about the way it looks, that's understandable. But I like it. It could be improved sure and there are other costumes I prefer but it's not bad and gets rid of the embarrassing underpants from his costume. They had to go I'm afraid.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: Chillsx brah lol. I actually agree that I do not like the fact that dc made it armor. I'm ok with the new look (I hated the underpants) but I don't like that it's Arne because it takes away from supermans invulnerability.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I dislike the armor when it's DRAWN like armor. I mean, look at the Man of Steel costume. That was armor!! It was like a kind of chain/scalemale, which is in fact armor, but it wasn't as overly complicated as the New 52 armor!!!! With all those little armor creases and lines!!! IT'S TOO COMPLICATED!! Superman's costume should be one of the easiest to draw!! Look at this!!

No Caption Provided

Unnecessarily complicated! I SO Would have preferred something like the Titans Tomorrow Superboy costume!

No Caption Provided

It accomplishes the SAME THING as the New 52 armor, but keeps the design simple. THIS next one is a fan design and it works on SO many levels!!!

No Caption Provided

Again. SIMPLE! And it works even better as there is more yellow in the costume!!!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I dislike the armor when it's DRAWN like armor. I mean, look at the Man of Steel costume. That was armor!! It was like a kind of chain/scalemale, which is in fact armor, but it wasn't as overly complicated as the New 52 armor!!!! With all those little armor creases and lines!!! IT'S TOO COMPLICATED!! Superman's costume should be one of the easiest to draw!! Look at this!!

No Caption Provided

Unnecessarily complicated! I SO Would have preferred something like the Titans Tomorrow Superboy costume!

No Caption Provided

It accomplishes the SAME THING as the New 52 armor, but keeps the design simple. THIS next one is a fan design and it works on SO many levels!!!

No Caption Provided

Again. SIMPLE! And it works even better as there is more yellow in the costume!!!

No Caption Provided

I would have preferred this tbh

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a personality

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a personality

What exactly makes you say that, Morrison's Superman had a personality, Snyder's Superman has one, Pak is expanding upon Morrison's work and he gave Superman a unique voice in B/S you can really see the difference between him and the other characters in terms of thinking and acting.
    I don't see how he lacks a personality.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: See now you're talking about the way it looks. That's understandable and justified. Before it sounded like "Superman doesn't wear armour ragh!" The fan design doesn't jump out as being particularly good IMO though the others do. One of my favourite alternate Superman costumes is the one from Smallville Season 11. It looks good, is in keeping with the traditional costume, is practical (the thing on his belt) and is simple in design.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new EARTHLY villains that can match Superman Strength (ex. Atlas). and more supporting flesh out Supporting characters that arent from the Daily Planet

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@lvenger said:

@smart_dork_dude: See now you're talking about the way it looks. That's understandable and justified. Before it sounded like "Superman doesn't wear armour ragh!" The fan design doesn't jump out as being particularly good IMO though the others do. One of my favourite alternate Superman costumes is the one from Smallville Season 11. It looks good, is in keeping with the traditional costume, is practical (the thing on his belt) and is simple in design.

Yeah, I admit I was a touch undefined in my rage. Really the fan made one is pretty much the Smallville costume, minus the two-tone blue thing. Actually as far as I'm concerned the Earth 2 Superman costume should have been the default one

No Caption Provided

Also like the S-design a bit better. Like Man of Steel they make it look a touch more alien, while still making it look like an S.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SOG7dc

new EARTHLY villains that can match Superman Strength (ex. Atlas). and more supporting flesh out Supporting characters that arent from the Daily Planet

I do not want that lol but I do want a more fleshed out supporting cast

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: I take it you prefer the Earth 2 Superman as well? He reminds me of a more Pre Flashpoint Superman in personality.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Better villians.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toptom

@consolemaster001:

actually Superman's villans are awesome. Darkseid,Doomsday, Cyborg-Superman,Parasite,Zod, Braniac,Bizzarro,Mongul and now we have even new entries like H'el and (above all) Helspont.

@sog7dc said:

I agree his supporting cast should be flushed out more. But I want to see a good superman fight. That's just me though

And you are absolutely right. I don't know why but it is hard to find an awesome fight in the superheroes's books, or, when they happen, they usually last for 2 or 3 pages.

One of the most beautiful fights superman has had was against doomsday and the elite i am afraid.

Plus together with some big fights he also needs to have more depth into his stories. DC should explore a little more his values and its moral code, which is what makes him one of the most relevant super heroes.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Me writing him.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@lvenger: From what little I read of him yeah. It's kinda funny. Earth 2 Superman is Kal-L, the Superman that wasn't a boy-scout, but acts like Kal-El the boyscout Superman. They got them all screwed up really.

Kal-L is one of my favorite versions of Superman because there's just something about a Superman that breaks into criminals homes and forcing them to confess what they did, beating up wife-beaters, etc, that I love. That's why I LOVE Morrison's first arc on Action Comics, it brought Superman back to that era of him being a social crusader. However, it does come at a cost as Kal-L loses his identity as that kind of Superman.

I always saw the two like this. Kal-L is the vigilante Superman, he takes a major stand against crime in Metropolis and only in later stories did he broaden his scope and began to be a protector of Earth at large. Kal-El on the other hand always protected Earth at large and simply lives in Metropolis. He fights crime in Metropolis like bank robberies or muggings if he comes across them, and of course the occasional supervillain, but he's different than Kal-L who actively sought these things out.

Kal-El should be the Superman that's very much a fireman, a rescuer, someone to look to in a crisis. Kal-L should be looked to as a policeman, someone who's main goal is to make sure the guilty are punished.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bezza

I would love to see a Mongul fight, as he is one of my favourite characters, but is the current Mongul a proper match for Superman. I'm a bit out of touch with current events, but was led to believe the original Mongul was far more powerful?

Anyway, I think Unchained is gonna give us a battle soon enough with the scarily powerful Wraith, so it won't be long before Superman has his hands full.

SuperEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SuperEnd

@smart_dork_dude:

The artist just over dones it, its really doesnt have to look like that.

No Caption Provided

Heres an another version of it, from a different artist

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Turn it from armor into a suit, lower the collar, and stop the sleeves at the wrists and the costume is good.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom: I haven't been able to read either if those stories :(. And if I'm being honest after I watched Thor planet bust without even being in the planet it made me even more impatient for dc to give superman an off-planet fight against someone like h'el or helspont so superman can show of his fighting skill and power.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: I personally think that noone on earth (save Wonderwoman) shoal be able to do anything with superman. He shook be FAR out of their league. Kinda like what KC superman did to Hercules. That's just my opinion though

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: GL took Mongul away from Superman. funny since Mongul was created for the very reason to have someone who can physically fight Superman that ain't Darkseid.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

More depth. Superman's books should be about more than big fights. They need to show how his actions and his very existance affects the world.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: Personally I think superman should be the physically most powerful being on earth.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

his Pre52 personality and build back

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Lobdell’s Superman run I wish better writing – Lobdell can produce intriguing storyline, but his execution … somewhat lacking.

Otherwise, Morrison and Snyder portrayal of New-52 Superman perfect for me, right mix of legendary and modern, character and action, so nothing to change here, please (well, maybe some stability in power level wouldn’t hurt).

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a little more Sun.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.