Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What Makes Superman Brave and Heroic

Ralph Slatton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ralph Slatton

Most of us here, admire Superman because of his extraordinary powers, handsome looks, physique, and bright costume.  For all these reasons, I have been a big follower for many years.  There has always been a question in the back of my mind.  What really makes him super.  I think this was touched upon in Superman II, where Clark Kent had to rediscover who he was after he lost his powers.  You probably remember the fight scene with the bulley in the diner.  What seemed disturbing to me is that Superman/ Clark wasn't respected as a hero until after he regained his superpowers.  This leads to my next questions.  If you had Superman's good looks, physique, and powers, could you be Superman? Could anyone?  Is it difficult to be brave if very little could harm you?  What really makes Superman a hero? 

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gunjin

that he chooses to. anyone (aside from mental/physical handicaps) can train to be a firefighter, policeman, service member, philanthropist, etc. we respect those who choose to. superman not being able to be hurt doesn't really work because he does his thing even when he knows he might be. and i don't even like the big blue.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @gunjin said:
    " that he chooses to. anyone (aside from mental/physical handicaps) can train to be a firefighter, policeman, service member, philanthropist, etc. we respect those who choose to. superman not being able to be hurt doesn't really work because he does his thing even when he knows he might be. and i don't even like the big blue. "
    Now that's what I call a non-hater. Problem with other people is they become haters just because they don't like something. Kudos to you mate! More people needs to be like you.

And to answer the OP's question... He's a boyscout. That's just what he is. And idealist if you may. Incorruptible (or more appropriate to say minimally corruptible). Some people in real life are like that. It just so happens that he has the Superpowers.
    Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Superguy1591

Superman is super because he's what everyone should aspire to be. If Superman wanted to he could rule the world and no one would be able to stop him. Superman is, literally, a god among men.  He has the power to sink entire continents and kill millions of people with ease, but he chooses to protect everyone, good or bad, no matter how insignificant and tiny the life is for nothing in return.  

Every time someone asks me why I like Superman I always have to say the speech that Lex Luthor gave in Superman/Doomsday.  

"  Just look at him. So sleek. So powerful. So... beautiful, like some great golden god made flesh. Of course, any sensible god would demand absolute obedience in return for his favor. But, no, our Man of Steel protects us, with no strings attached. The people? Hmph. They practically worship him anyway. Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For surely as night follows day, there comes a time when even gods must die." 

gunjin said it best, his choice to be super is what makes him a hero. 

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ssejllenrad said:
    " @gunjin said:
    " that he chooses to. anyone (aside from mental/physical handicaps) can train to be a firefighter, policeman, service member, philanthropist, etc. we respect those who choose to. superman not being able to be hurt doesn't really work because he does his thing even when he knows he might be. and i don't even like the big blue. "
    Now that's what I call a non-hater. Problem with other people is they become haters just because they don't like something. Kudos to you mate! More people needs to be like you.  And to answer the OP's question... He's a boyscout. That's just what he is. And idealist if you may. Incorruptible (or more appropriate to say minimally corruptible). Some people in real life are like that. It just so happens that he has the Superpowers. "
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Superman is a hero because he's there for everyone. He never compromises his ideals and he takes the high road. This despite the fact that he could basically be a god lording over others without much trouble. But instead he chooses to serve and inspire. That is why he is a hero.

shonen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shonen2

Superman is brave even without his powers remember when Batman and him swapped powers and he was helpless but still had the balls to try and prevent a mugging/rap; I'm not sure.

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By caesarsghost

Superman is the ultimate hero, and not just becuase he is the most powerful being on earth (well, that would depend on what other alien superpowered being is on earth at the time, but most of the time its Supes) but, as others on this thread have stated, his integrity is what sets him apart. Just read any of the Batman/Superman series and you will see what I am talking about. Bruce constantly remarks on how Superman looks for the best in everyone, how he is ultimately loyal and selfless. The fact that he COULD rule the world but CHOOSES to serve is the greatest compliment you can ever give the big guy. He is the best in humanity, and he isn't even human. That is why you can have a character for more than 70 years and he is still interesting, he has these awesome, timeless ideas to play with.  

9dragons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A person with superman powers can still choose to be a hero.

TJSH96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TJSH96

Because Superman is willing to die fighting for truth and justice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.