Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

WB Games Montréal's Superman Game: Everything We Know

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

Back in July there was a supposed "leak" for a Superman game rumored to be developed by WB Games Montréal. There is honestly substantial evidence showing that the Man of Steel could be next in DC's ongoing run of games. Superman hasn't had his own game in nearly 10 years, and I believe that Man of Steel may have helped him the same way the Nolan trilogy brought us the Arkham series.

WB Montréal's website, it states the following: "We are a growing studio with two AAA projects in development focused on expanding the DC Comics universe in the interactive space."

At one point there was a job listing from them that stated they were working on an "open world" game. It has been removed since being noticed.

Arkham Knight References

First, we have Rocksteady's numerous Easter Eggs and references to Superman in the Arkham Knight.

Superman

There's a picture of Metropolis that advertises for an airline which you can see around the city (mostly indoors.) In the top right corner you can see a red streak which isn't a bird, or a plane, but Superman!

Thugs reference the Man of Steel multiple times. One of them being "You know the only thing that's missing is if that freak from Metropolis flew in here." which I totally agree with.

"Haha, man we got this city locked down. I thought taking over a place like this would be hard." to which his ally replies "Yeah, who knows? Maybe the Knight will have us hit Metropolis next time." The former thug then says "Hah! No way man. You think the Bat is tough to kill? You don't wanna go up against the other guy in a cape."

"That'll teach him. Who does he think he is anyway? Superman?"

"C'mon, man, fifty bucks, pay up." to which Thug 2 says "C'mon, it's not like you guessed it was Wayne." Thug 1 goes on to say "You're the one who put money on him being an alien refugee from a dying planet." Thug 2 responds with "Uhh, coulda sworn I'd heard that before."

At the GCPD, talking to Firefighter Leary-Wood will prompt dialogue that says "Seeing Scarecrow freaking out in that cell, it's making up for a lot of crap I've been through tonight." He goes on to say "So Bruce Wayne, huh? Never would've guessed. Next thing you know someone's gonna tell me Superman's really a janitor. Or no, a journalist."

Lex Luthor

Thugs have talked about him running for President and that they've seen it on TV.

Thugs have talked about rumors of him having put money into Scarecrow's plot for Gotham in Arkham Knight.

He leaves a personal message to Bruce Wayne's personal office phone in Wayne Tower where he talks about his interest in buying Bruce's tech division and how he's apparently offering $1,000,000,000 for it.

There are also the Lex Corp signs and buildings throughout Gotham City.

I'm also missing possibly one or two Lex references. My brother recently informed me of one of them and I was surprised to hear it, but I honestly can't remember what it was. I'll update it when I talk to him.

Also, there is another interesting conversation in Arkham Knight that might be forshadowing something:

Thug 1: "First "Arkham Asylum", then "Arkham City". Now "Arkham Knight". What's next?"

Thug 2: "I don't know, maybe we should leave Gotham "for a while"."

Thug 1: "But Gotham's been good to us."

Does this guy look familiar? Part of the cutscene at the end of Arkham Knight:

No Caption Provided

"Leaks"

Initially, there was this picture that popped up on Twitter:

No Caption Provided

Rumors began flying around, and many assumed it was a fake. Until this gif of the same picture brought forth more controversy:

No Caption Provided

Not long after this there was concept art that leaked seemingly tied to the game.

SupermanConcept Art:

No Caption Provided

BrainiacConcept Art:

No Caption Provided

A week or so later a LinkedIn account (essentially an online resume) for a freelancer named Kieran Turan had been updated, showing what he'd been working on. The information stated the following: "Troubleshooting and repair of the 3D facial rig of the upcoming "Superman" videogame for GameOn Audio."

GameOn Audio is a motion capture/audio company that has worked on games like Halo 4, Assassin's Creed, and Batman: Arkham Origins.

Here's a picture of the profile before the bits regarding Superman and GameOn Audio were removed from it:

No Caption Provided

Not long after this, more concept art had leaked of Superman, and Doomsday.

Superman's 2nd Concept Art:

No Caption Provided

Doomsday Concept Art:

No Caption Provided

Concept Art of All 3:

No Caption Provided

"If you're wondering what the text over the photo could be about and who is "Robic," after doing some research the Robic that the image is likely for is a company called of course, ROBIC. It's an Intellectual Property firm located in of course Montreal, Québec, Canada. Which is where WB Games Montreal game studio is of course located."

Youtube

A Youtube channel known as "The Know" reported on this rumor and had their sources check in on it. Their source says that the gif is of a "very early tech test for a game that hasn't been approved yet."

I feel this could simply be a cover-up, but who knows?

It's kind of odd. Notice how NONE of the major gaming websites like IGN, Gameinformer, Gamespot, and more didn't report anything about this.

There you have it folks. Hopefully Superman is our next interactive experience from WBGM. I'll update this whenever I find any more news regarding the game.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Enzo991

You forgot that WB Montreal posted on their Twitter of a business meeting with a huge Superman banner on display.

Also, there is another interesting conversation in Arkham Knight that might be forshadowing something:

Thug 1: First "Arkham Asylum", then "Arkham City". Now "Arkham Knight". What's next?

Thug 2: I don't know, maybe we should leave Gotham "for a while".

Thug 1: But Gotham's been good to us.

Knowing Rocksteady, this has to be a forshadowing of a future game or event.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@enzo991: Yeah, I remember sharing a link to that picture on the older post about this, but I felt people would consider it reaching.

I didn't know about that dialogue though. That's quite intriguing.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth said:

Yeah, I remember sharing a link to that picture on the older post about this, but I felt people would consider it reaching.

But that picture was posted after the leaked concept arts made a buzz on gaming websites, and people started talking about them. It seemed they were aware of that when they posted the picture, which to me seemed like they were just being cheeky without actually confirming or denying the leaks. A studio only does that when it has something to hide.

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth Nolan North recently had an interview where he revealed to be working on a huge project with WB. He said it would take up the next ten years of his life (trilogy perhaps?) and that it was being kept top secret. I'm guessing it's the Superman game. He voiced Superman and Superboy on Young Justice.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@nightwing817: Yeah, I just found out about that. Was updating my post on Reddit DCComics with it. Given what he said, I think it could easily be a Superman game.

@enzo991: True, it was posted soon after. I could see them teasing us like that, seems like something a studio would do.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@mercinwithamouth: Assuming this unlikely rumour is true, do you think it's possible North has been contracted to voice Superman in these games? He has previous experience voicing Superman in Young Justice so maybe WB Games have got him to do Superman because of previous experience and the fact he does loads of voice over work for video games.

@nightwing817 Source for this rumour?

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/16/nolan-north-is-working-on-a-big-big-game-at-warner-brothers/

There's multiple sites reporting on it but this was the first link when I searched it. The actual interview is too large to scope through.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwing817: I see, thanks for the link. Opens up the possibility that WB Games have contracted North to voice Superman in their potential Superman games. I would have preferred Adam Baldwin from DC Universe Online, Mark Hamon from Justice League: Crisis on 2 Earths or even the veterans Tim Daly and the ideal George Newbern.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Wasn't the rumors about this debunked?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Several of the 'leaked images' were debunked as fakes. The concept art looks legitimate for the most part and Nolan North's teaser of a 10 year project at Warner Bros might be the biggest tip off yet. Nothing solid or concrete though.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: As far as I know the only thing that has been debunked regarding this whole thing is a picture that was photoshopped to look like early gameplay. It borrowed the New 52 skin from Injustice and a backdrop of Watchdogs.

@lvenger Are you referring to the same "leaked image" as me or were there more that were debunked? If so, which ones?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaied

I would say the two projects WBM are working on are Suicide Squad & Superman. Arkham Origins 2 is a possibility, but I honestly want Superman instead.

Also, I hope Nolan North doesn't voice Superman over George Newbern. North isn't bad, but Newbern is the definitive Superman voice to me like Conroy to Batman.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@zaied I feel the same way, I easily prefer Newbern over North for Superman. His voice is iconic in nearly the same way as Conroy is to Batman.

I could see it being Suicide Squad, Superman, or Green Arrow. Arkham Origins 2 could happen I suppose, but I honestly doubt it given it doesn't make much sense to do another after the "finale". I don't see reason to do another one given how the first ended.

@lvenger Oh okay, you worried me. Haha

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think this may be legit

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Several of the 'leaked images' were debunked as fakes. The concept art looks legitimate for the most part and Nolan North's teaser of a 10 year project at Warner Bros might be the biggest tip off yet. Nothing solid or concrete though.

@squalleon: As far as I know the only thing that has been debunked regarding this whole thing is a picture that was photoshopped to look like early gameplay. It borrowed the New 52 skin from Injustice and a backdrop of Watchdogs.

@lvenger Are you referring to the same "leaked image" as me or were there more that were debunked? If so, which ones?

Oh, well. Until I see concrete evidence I won't get any hyped :P

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Yeah, hopefully whatever it is gets revealed soon.

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By supermanfan1234

If they are making a Superman game I will be so hyped! But they need to embrace Superman.Don't try and make him too dark,don't try and tangle him down just to Earth.Embrace all the crazy and "overpowerered" traits of him from the comics.And make sure you get a writer who get's Superman like Grant Morrison or Mark Waid.

gunns85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman with a red thong is never a good thing.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully we'll hear something at NYCC.

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991: I've said this before, we probably won't hear anything until next year. They'll want to make this a grand reveal. Most likely a GameInformer month long cover story. This is Superman after all, and if he's making a return to gaming then there's no other way to do it. They'll probably go the Arkham Knight route and have a big reveal with a cg announcement trailer too. Anything else would look subpar and not get the vast majority of gamers interested.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I'd love a modern PS4 Superman game, I'm not getting my hopes up. A collection of easter eggs from Arkham Knight and some shoddy looking concept art doesn't really convince me.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jogga

Unless Platinum Games, Rocksteady Studios, Hideo Kojima himself and friggin Nintendo unite as one to finally develop an incredible Superman game, I'm not getting my hopes up. The video game world isn't fond of Supes due to low quality games, and many people from said area don't seem to understand him as a character.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@gunns85: No, you're the man! Hopefully we get some confirmation soon. :P

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@enzo991: I personally wouldn't expect anything till December or next E3. Still have AK DLC rolling out till then and I'm sure they want to milk it as much as they can with nothing else standing in the spotlight. I would love a CGI trailer though. Haha

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Those concept art designs for Superman all suck ass.

Seriously, when your designs make the New 52 costume look incredible by comparison, you KNOW something's wrong.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanfan1234: Isn't the overpowered issue why a good Superman game hasn't been made yet? That the concept of Superman is hard to mesh with a video game's structure? Couldn't agree more about not making him dark or limiting him to Earth though.

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think a superman game is not too hard to make. He just is too strong for "human" enemies but not for alien or powered up by tech, magic. The problem is i think that the developer must know clark's personality simply the whole lore. there are many enemies by new 52 standards or if you take the manga one piece example pirate warriors game then you can make superman game where he chronologically fights the enemies like in the comics with ueber boss fights... no problem with that... the sales are the only problem.

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It is but I think they could make him down-powered like in Grant's Action comics run or the animated series,or make him just like in the current Comic's but have loads of crazy scenarios and villains and situations to take full advantage of his powers.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zaied

@supermanfan1234: @lvenger: I think the reason a Superman game hasn't worked is because there hasn't actually been a real attempt at one. Superman 64 did zero as an actual Superman experience and it showed. The best way to do Superman to me isn't to depower him. I would simply not go overboard with his abilities. Instead of allowing Supes to fly around at FTL speeds, do like Superman Returns and lock him at hypersonic flight speeds for instance. Keep FTL speeds for cutscenes and for space travel to the sun or other planets.

No developer has designed their game with Superman's powers in mind. It's either been flying through rings, flying around a lifeless open world with nothing to do, or confining him to linear areas. Give Supes the right enemies, bosses, and lively world(s) to protect and explore and he can still remain incredibly powerful and fun. I would cite the Prototype and inFAMOUS games as decent examples of this.

I also like to think of the Batman Begins game. People thought Batman games completely sucked before Arkham despite Begins being an exceptional attempt at Batman without freeflow combat and other Batman concepts. The difference is Begins didn't have a real budget or development cycle behind it like Arkham Asylum did. But I felt it was proof that a really good Batman game was possible, much like Superman Returns but to a lesser extent.

dorukesin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a perceiving super speed/bullet timer in a Superman game

for example bammm someone pulled the trigger 5 km far away.Clark hears that and time slows down ,he'll fly there and catch that bullet.

or in a combat when you pushed that button time slows down and you're still pretty fast this should be good against Doomsday,Mongul etc.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied: A balanced middle ground is a fair solution, but of course there are those who want a Superman game to have Superman at his full power levels. Flying super fast, crushing mountains, tanking massive hits etc. Probably like how Asura's Wrath treated its protagonist's powers. But what you've got does allow for more balance and fits better into a video game environment. Developers just need the right formula and right mechanics, like how Rocksteady got an immersive and entertaining Batman playstyle in the Arkham games.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@zaied: Superman 64 was held back extremely. Publisher limited the developer greatly. Titus said that they didn't get even 10% of what they wanted. They tried to redo it on the original Playstation but it was never released because they lost the license by that time. People had played it though, and it's not bad, apparently.

I love the thought of being capable of flying to the sun or out of Earth's atmosphere via seamless cut-scene having that be FTL. I believe Prototype is the perfect example of how you need it to feel and that's actually what I've been looking at for my Justice League post. The gameplay is over the top action and makes you feel like a powerful badass. I could send you my rough draft for Superman's gameplay, Flash too.

I think Superman Returns had some great concepts, but poor execution. I think a better story, mission variety, and ground takedowns would have saved the game.

Have you seen my Superman post from February? I'll be returning to redo and perfect it after my JL post is done.

@dorukesin1 I have something like that in my old Superman Game post. :D

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So supposedly you can see Lex towards the end of Arkham Knight:

No Caption Provided

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwing817: User on Reddit. It's in the game as well, I watched the scene numerous times. Made a post about it as well.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems they used UE3 not UE4 they r talking like capcom.Capcom also said they used UE4 on Deadrising 4 which they didn't use it.

However I really want a superman game.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.