Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

This feat is not much above the Planetary one!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
    deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Well, I'm here with some thoughts, first I'm not trying to lowball Superman (as I'm a big fan of him) I believe that this feat is not much above the one who he Benchs earth, because it's already stated and showed by Superman that when he is lifting/benching something helped by his Flight, the things are not so heavy. (let's remind that this is a shared feat)

Although we don't know the mass of this, so is high unlikely allow this as a Multi-Planetary physical feat (J'onn'd would have that too)

The scan i'm referring: The Man of Steel (1986) Issue #4!

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't understand the point you're trying to make with flight. Whether or not Clark has an easier time using flight shouldn't reduce the overall worth of the feat.

Anyway I think you're correct with this feat getting overrated as people ignore context like MMH contributions and IIRC Supes being sundipped.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

I don't understand the point you're trying to make with flight. Whether or not Clark has an easier time using flight shouldn't reduce the overall worth of the feat.

Anyway I think you're correct with this feat getting overrated as people ignore context like MMH contributions and IIRC Supes being sundipped.

Because Flight should've made the thing easier to lift, with flight the force that he does with his body is less than he would do if he would be on the ground

I know, the thing has the same weight whether Superman flies or not, but Superman flight is the key I just couldn't explain better in a scientific way.

But, yeah. the feat overall is good.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Implying Pak of all people would remember something that was briefly mentioned on a 30 year old mini series.

@the_kidd: Superman wasn't sundipped, he was at standard power.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehercules: The thing is, whether or not Superman uses strength or bio electric aura (debatable if N52 Superman has 1) it wont diminish thefeat, no different than if a psychic use TK to move something.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekinfing:

Right before moving the mothership Superman wanted to get closer to the sun, does this look like standard powerlevel to you?

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: We have seen Clark standing on the surface of the Sun without having massive power upgrades, namely during Superman vol. 3 #13. Not to mention that he was weakned prior to that, so at best you could argue he was refueling.

Are you also going to ignore the absolutely massive Heat-Vision blast that he released literally on the next page, which was big enough to damage the Mothership and is vastly superior to any other feat he had prior or after that? Any ''extra'' energy he might have acquired was released on that blast.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekinfing: More times than not when Superman gets within close proximity to the sun or just solar energy he does get an additional boost.

I put the heat vision scan to show he was operating above his usual capabilities. How often does Superman expell that much energy and not seem slightly weaken or goes around moving planetary objects right afterwards?

Minaruto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Supes is out of sundip power after the massive heat vision. When he's still in sundip power he either exudes an aura or he's got fire eyes.

Don't forget that the Brainiac ship was traveling at 36K/mph towards Earth so they had that to contend with.

ZillaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The context that people ignore is that Braniacs ship is only 6000 miles across

No Caption Provided

The Earth itself is 7,926 miles in diameter, so even if Clark preformed the whole feat on his own it's still less of a feat than his Earth benching one, add to that the fact that it was a shared feat between him and MMH and the feat is even more diminished.

Don't get me wrong it's a pretty solid feat i'd still classify it is as small planetary level, but it's nowhere near what it was hyped up as being which is Superman/MMH stopping a Saturn/Jupiter sized ship and then pushing it away.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zillag said:

The context that people ignore is that Braniacs ship is only 6000 miles across

No Caption Provided

The Earth itself is 7,926 miles in diameter, so even if Clark preformed the whole feat on his own it's still less of a feat than his Earth benching one, add to that the fact that it was a shared feat between him and MMH and the feat is even more diminished.

Don't get me wrong it's a pretty solid feat i'd still classify it is as small planetary level, but it's nowhere near what it was hyped up as being which is Superman/MMH stopping a Saturn/Jupiter sized ship and then pushing it away.

How did you get 6 thousand miles across as its diameter? It doesn't state that anywhere.

ZillaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zillag: Across means from one side to another. So i read it as the distance from the Earth to the ship. There's no way that Ship was just 6000 miles in diameter, when it has been consistently shown to be dozens of times larger than the earth.

ZillaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenshima15: No across meant the size of the ship from one end to the other, otherwise he wouldn't use the word across there it makes no sense. No it wasn't and that's the problem, the ships size varied greatly.

Which seems to be pure communication between the writers/artists, in the end the narration tells us it's 6000 miles across, so you can either take that or just think the ship is off inconsistent size.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mothership was stated to be bigger than the planet right on panel and it was shown to be much bigger than the earth by different artists, with different sizes.

Not to mention the tremendous speeds at which it was moving. So all in all this feat is still more impressive than the Lobdel's one,even with the help of MM

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zillag: But the ship being bigger than the earth remained consistent, even between different artists. You're reaching my friend. The 6000 miles was in reference to the distance between Earth and the ship, not the ship's diameter.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The feat is pretty ridiculous I pointed out the speed it was travelling. The size alone is more than enough proof along with the effort.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.