Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The ridiculous, revisionist SUPERMAN mess that DC created with Rebirth!

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:
    @jogga said:

I'd welcome all criticism.

Anybody complaining about Superman having this kind of family, just on that basis alone is no real criticism.

This Superman is, thankfully, more consistent than New 52. That was due too the groundwork of the New 52 itself being too shaky, and the writers just doing whatever the hell they pleased. That's it.

Yep, the criticism of Superman having a nice family like most families in the world is not a good enough criticism. And the consistency of Superman in Rebirth is a big improvement from the all-over-the-place New 52 Superman.

I don't have a nice family :(

You know who else doesn't have a nice family.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:
    @jogga said:

I'd welcome all criticism.

Anybody complaining about Superman having this kind of family, just on that basis alone is no real criticism.

This Superman is, thankfully, more consistent than New 52. That was due too the groundwork of the New 52 itself being too shaky, and the writers just doing whatever the hell they pleased. That's it.

Yep, the criticism of Superman having a nice family like most families in the world is not a good enough criticism. And the consistency of Superman in Rebirth is a big improvement from the all-over-the-place New 52 Superman.

I don't have a nice family :(

You know who else doesn't have a nice family.

No Caption Provided
    Loading Video...

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By HighAccuser

I think DC should just go all the way and have N52 Superman become the new Superboy Prime. Shit, have him be a reincarnated Prime.

Both of them act like Prequel Anakin and its clear as day that Zack uses that as influence for his Sullenman portrayal in the DC FU.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

The four giants that appeared in Justice League, kept talking about stolen stuff. Stolen light of the emotional spectrum, stolen speed (Speed Force), stolen magic, stolen energy. But most of all stolen creation, and how they had tried several times in past timelines to sing their song and were never able to until now. One of them mentioned a Forever Crisis. Something that was unavoidable and was on its way.

Now I'm no expert in Crisis deadlines, but it seems that if they went to the trouble of mentioning it now, then it has to have some relevance not so distant in the future.

I (and a lot of people) also found it interesting the twist they gave during Superman Annual. Where Swamp Thing explaining the blue palm print left by Rebirth Superman, and also that seemingly after New52 Superman death, some of his power transfered to Rebirth Superman. I found it interesting and somewhat confusing, seeing the recent power feats of Rebirth Superman that even with said power up, still was powerwise weaker than he should be. Pre-Flashpoint Superman even without any power amp was able to do and take a lot more.

Maybe Reborn will explain this.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#205 Lunacyde  Moderator

@reactor: @zariusii: Be more respectful. Every fan is entitled to their opinion and no one should be insulting anyone over their views. Everyone in this thread needs to be more respectful. You can disagree in a civil manner, it's not that hard. This goes for everyone in the thread.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Jogga

@saintwildcard said:

That's what I mean by lip service. Visiting and having memories a farmboy does not make. Let's take a look at a more extreme example since people seem to think that being a farmboy is just being nice and humble. It's like if a black dude who grew up in the ghetto, but leaves to make a life for himself. He's more adjusted and what not, goes back and visit from time to time, but he is almost a completely different person than the people in that town. You would talk to him at your job and never have guess that he grew up in the ghetto if it weren;t from him saying he did or that he visits the ghetto.

One of the things that I see that the new 52 did, was remove the Dorky Clark Kent aspect and just made it Clark Kent. That helped alot. Clark Kent wore Flannel and spoke like a normal guy (During Pak's run mostly). The way he got mad (he curses, not like a sailor) and spoke to people felt more normal as well as his posture. When Clark was hanging out with Lana or when he talked to the People of his City Block during Truth, never have I see Clark be so down to Earth and normal. That speech he gave the city block felt personal, and not so rehearsed or over the top. There was a connection on a personal level as opposed to a hero appreciation level. There's a relaxed and familiar air to him. It's the small nuances that made a huge difference for me.

One says he's a farmboy, the other just is

So your criteria for him being a farm boy is:

a.) Not being Dorky Clark Kent

b.) Being down to earth and talking to people as a normal person

c.) Being generally relaxed

d.) Actually being normal for once and cursing when he gets mad like a person would

So these points can be summarized in one single trait. Being completely down to Earth, relaxed and not at all acting like a huge gallant ham.

Well dude, you just described nearly half of Superman's stories, from Steve Gerbert's "Phantom Zone" to Alan Moore's "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", from Roger Stern's and Dan Jurgen's era of "Panic in the Sky!" and "Superman: Time and Time Again" after John Byrne, and even the man himself's run on the character have all demonstrated those nuances and relationships. Again, this is pretty established in the lore that Superman's upbringing as a "Farm Boy" has made him into the man he is to day in, as I said in my original comment, very different ways. That's because the "Dorky" Clark Kent is a front, something I'm not sure you pay attention to or not so forgive me if I misrepresent you, while that "over-the-top" aspect is very much in-part due to the fact that he is very self-aware of the fact that he actually standsfor something and thus needs to lead by example, rather than just being normal all the time.

Everything is there. You want a more intimate character study? Joe Kelly and Elliot S! Maggin have done some astounding work, and John Bryne has done a certain miniseries that seems right up your alley with the whole human thing, although it kind of alienated me when they got all weird with the Krypton and Batman bull***t so I advise you to grit your teeth early.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard

Honestly one of my biggest gripes with the New 52 Superman is how his relationship with Diana was treated. For a status quo, it was never brought up much. It was one of my major gripes about Superman: Unchained, with how Scott Snyder was so giddy with bringing Batman into the frame for no reason at all, despite them not trusting each other in this timeline, and not even a meaningful utterance from Wonder Woman despite her being his girlfriend. He even did a shitty excuse about how it wasn't his place to include Diana that much because there was already a Superman/Wonder Woman book, despite the fact that there was also the Batman/Superman book as well an he was completely fine with Batman.

Or the fact that Wonder Woman never played any good role in any of Superman's solo books, be it with Pak or Geoff or Yang.

Status Quo my a%$. Even Lois atleast managed to be a damsel in distress in the old ones.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: did an edit just before you replied. If nothing of the new stuff changez your response, I'll reply later after work

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I'll go in-depth later. I'm going to get some sleep now tho. Lol

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @Reactor I empathize with everything you said in the response, as I understand that New 52 was treated so poorly in the end, and wasn't even given the death a real Superman deserves.

However, I can still empathize with @zariusii on one thing. And it's the fact that you, despite voicing some clear and eloquent opinions and concerns, have been just forecasting bad luck on a ever shifting perspective on the new Superman status quo, something that shows a slight, but clear, sign that you are definitely a bit bitter about the new status quo.

Let me just say that yours is exactly the kind of response I was begging for; you have your own opinion, but you say it so respectfully. Kudos bro, your post is my aspiration

And to address, I whole-heartedly do not mean to come off as forecasting a negative response to Supes. As stated earlier, I was intending to be pragmatic; things wouldn't necessarily go badly for Supes at all, just that his reception would return to what it was before. I could be totally wrong about that, and that'd be terrific - wonderful, even. I've just seen so much consistent reception toward Superman that tilts toward a particular venue, so it's a tad difficult for me to consider a large-scale shift happening in any lasting way.

Let me make an example (you might already understand, but in the event my stance is not totally clear, I just wanna put this out): let's say a restaurant makes a fried bologna sandwich with some special seasoning. A lot of people like it, and a lot of people don't care for it. However, somewhere down the line, a new recipe is advertised. Again, some like it, but some - particularly fans of the old recipe - do not. After a while, the restaurant goes back to the old recipe, and is praised for it. However, most of the praise (not all, but most of the most outspoken praise) is coming from those that loved and wanted the return of the old recipe. They're ecstatic that it is back. Hence, this absolutely doesn't mean the bologna sandwich is bad or anything, but if people didn't like the bologna sandwich in the first place, going back to the original recipe (in my opinion) wouldn't likely change their minds.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic (hope not!) but I'll be upfront that while I'm disappointed that New 52 Supes is gone, I'm not actually bitter. Not anymore, at least. I certainly was at first, but it's has a hugely positive effect on Superman as a whole (putting aside the question of that effect being lasting). My preferred version or not, this is a good thing and I'm also happy for people that wanted this Supes back (no sarcasm, I'm serious). I don't really read Superman comics anymore because of it (not that my few dollars register as even a drop in the ocean), but I still very much enjoy the character for both who he is or who he was

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By reactor
    @lunacyde said:

@reactor: @zariusii: Be more respectful. Every fan is entitled to their opinion and no one should be insulting anyone over their views. Everyone in this thread needs to be more respectful. You can disagree in a civil manner, it's not that hard. This goes for everyone in the thread.

While I wholeheartedly agree, I'm just curious; was I counted by you as being disrespectful? I'm not going to try and contest it or anything, I'm genuinely curious if I was perceived as being belligerent.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By SaintWildcard

@jogga said:

@saintwildcard

Honestly one of my biggest gripes with the New 52 Superman is how his relationship with Diana was treated. For a status quo, it was never brought up much. It was one of my major gripes about Superman: Unchained, with how Scott Snyder was so giddy with bringing Batman into the frame for no reason at all, despite them not trusting each other in this timeline, and not even a meaningful utterance from Wonder Woman despite her being his girlfriend. He even did a shitty excuse about how it wasn't his place to include Diana that much because there was already a Superman/Wonder Woman book, despite the fact that there was also the Batman/Superman book as well an he was completely fine with Batman.

Or the fact that Wonder Woman never played any good role in any of Superman's solo books, be it with Pak or Geoff or Yang.

Status Quo my a%$. Even Lois atleast managed to be a damsel in distress in the old ones.

To be fair, Pak wasn't allowed to touch certain elements of the toybox. He wasn't allowed to use the DP or Lois Lane at all, so this most likely extended to WW. Johns couldn't care less since he always intended to break them up, but Didio and Lee wouldn't let him. As for Yang.. leave poor Yang alone. That dude got the short end of the stick. It is sad to think about, I do believe that the SM/WW relationship has potential, but when your head writers half asses their start, the main WW writer at the time not wanting to interact with the DCU so he can tell his own story, and then launching the SM/WW series into constant crossovers ( I believe the series was part of crossovers more than it told it's own stories). what can you expect to happen?

They did a bit, but I would have loved to seen Lana and Diana interact more.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

City Boy

Farmboy

At this point I'm just messing around.... but still

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edit: butl let me give better examples

Finds City life Stuffy: hell never fully intergrate to city life hell just live there. Being in a suit would be stuffy so when hes off he wears normal clothes. Flannel and maybe sports team shirts.

Cand hang with the guys: he can ball bust, shoot the shit, go to a bar, watch sports, play some sports.

Hobbies and likes: knows how to fix up cars, has an ear for country and classic rock.

1.) Wears, flannel or normal clothes instead of suits

2.) Drink beer, watch sports and play sports

3.) Likes to listen to classic rock & Country, and knows how to fix-up cars.

Well Clark always knew how to fix up Cars, that was there since the Silver age, dude. Same with being a sports fan, John Bryne made him a wrestling champion in the school. It's also been established that he goes to Baseball games since the 50's.

Lol at wearing flannel, I do that. That fashion sense doesn't stick to just farm boys, and Superman not wearing a suit and tie to the Daily Planet is dumb.

Music taste is subjective. Ball Busting? He's done that with Jimmy since his inception, I guess. Never has anybody really concentrated on that.

Also, this requisite seems entirely subjective. I've got friends that never farmed in their lives who do this type of stuff, honestly.

I'm going to quote myself on this now

. Best I've seen you say, which is not much as I haven't been here for some time so forgive me, is someone you can personally relate to as an average joe, of which need I remind you is entirely subjective in the long run.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

City Boy

Farmboy

No Caption Provided

I can take scans out of context too, you know.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @saintwildcard said:

City Boy

Farmboy

No Caption Provided

I can take scans out of context too, you know.

A) Pimps are from the city

B) I need to show context for him ordering a sissy drink?

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This is Post-Crisis wearing Flannel as recent as Rebirth.

Written by Geoff Johns, same guy who portrayed Clark as Christopher Reeve himself

That's how meaningless the fashion sense is

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A) Who cares? Only you.

B.) Lol, what? OMG Clark is drinking a mojito from a straw!!! How inane. Superman has been drinking beer before you were even born. Plus bringing out of context scans is just asking for people to not take you seriously.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @saintwildcard said:

A) Who cares? Only you.

B.) Lol, what? OMG Clark is drinking a mojito from a straw!!! How inane. Superman has been drinking beer before you were even born. Plus bringing out of context scans is just asking for people to not take you seriously.

A) Wasn't serious, so neither do I

B) Yes.... a sissy drink. And you seem to have missed this

Has he now? All I can find is one of Evil Superman and a Cover with him and his dad on it.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @saintwildcard said:

A) Who cares? Only you.

Has he now? All I can find is one of Evil Superman and a Cover with him and his dad on it.

Don't try to back out on me now, only to immediately go on it again.

Do I have to mention all the times he drank wine with Lois or talked to Superboy about owning every Metallica CD to bring in the point that Superman's personal life has been trough it all?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @jogga said:
    @saintwildcard said:

A) Who cares? Only you.

Don't try to back out on me now, only to immediately go on it again.

Do I have to mention all the times he drank wine with Lois or talked to Superboy about owning every Metallica CD to bring in the point that Superman's personal life has been trough it all?

Wine is on par with Mojito as girly. Point for the Metallica thing though

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Jogga

@saintwildcard said:

Wine is on par with Mojito as girly. Point for the Metallica thing though

Toppest of kek on drinking wine being girly, especially when it comes with seducing a woman. Its one thing is being a farm boy and another a bumpkin.

Being serious now, the Metallica exchange was terrible, and it was just an example of Superman just doing normal crap like him drinking wine with Lois directly from Costa Rica, or some stupid thing like that.

Honestly, if that's a legit qualm you have, which I doubt, you'd be reaching very hard for something that doesn't even affect him in any level. Superman doesn't care either way, if you want a straight answer.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
    StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lotta allegories being used here.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just find it odd that you cannot have both universes and please all the fans. I mean is it really a contest was the relationship of wonder women and superman so threatening that they had to end it. Was it doing better then all the other books. As far as I seen people purchased the books and only got upset when they made superman into somebody he was not. In other words not the good guy but a jerk. So it is not and over worked actor trying to star in to many books just get another writer another artist and please all the fans. It means more money and opens the world to great possibilities.

Yet time and time again we find people cannot do that and they want to force it to be one way and one way only.

I am not saying stray so far from the character that you no longer know who or what they stand for. Truth justice and the dream. But I am saying give people what they want on some scale and if they buy the product keep it up.

How hard is that to do , but I guess it is pretty hard because they stopped and went back to what people have scene many times before. As and old fan stores done over and over and over just does not get me to buy into that book.

Tales hinted at are great they say the writers hear the fans that they can do more and show more and create a story worthy of reading.

Tv and movies and books have lost something and it is the ability to tell a great story because they forgot it is about pleasing the reader. When you stop writing a story people want to read and say take it or leave it. People tend to leave and coming back in a world that is busy may not take place.

Just food for thought but it is a book after all and that is the start of a larger franchise.

I have little time to deal with the problems of the comic industry and how to fix it but I will say one thing.

I wish them great success with the characters DC comics can create great tales , they just have to remember the readers and you can in this instance have your cake and eat it to. Just put another out of work writer to work and sell that book.

Make it so.

Mailwam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ridiculous revisionist mess DC created with Rebirth? Why are you confusing with New 52 that wiped out decades of history for your goddamn fanservice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.