Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The Man of Steel 2: Which villain would you prefer?

• 66 results
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Saren

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Other and I refuse to specify.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By htb106

Darkseid, Just for awesomeness.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

Lets wait and see if the first movie is goof enough for a sequel

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sethysquare

@Mercy_ said:

LOL. So nice of you.

I chose Brainiac because I haven't seen Brainiac in life action and he is the biggest baddest villain of Superman and should be given some attention.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sethysquare

BTW shouldn't you have included Atomic Skull, Toyman, Metallo, Lex Luthor, Silver Banshee, Kryptonite Man and Parasite?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997

Brainiac maybe.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

Brainiac with a splash of Lex.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Superman has more interesting villains than that,I'd like to see villains like:Gog,Preus,the Intergang associated with Morgan Edge(to bring more reality to the movie),Doomsday or even see Doctor Hamilton become Ruin. Minor villains,like:Mirabai,Bloodsport (any one of the three versions),Redemption,Sakki,Atlas

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

This.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Manchester Black and the JLE.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Martian

Brainiac

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtPhantom

Your poll is invalid by not having Lex in it.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KainScion

lex has been done time and time again with horrible and sometimes desgusting results (lex humping old ladies for money, yeah screams evil genius doesnt it). i propose an off world movie in battle world with mongul.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Brainiac seems like the most logical choice. They could do amazing things with the character if handled properly.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dernman

Braniaic is the logical choice. I should have picked that.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By YoggSaron

@The_Tree said:

This man has it right.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Primmaster64

Brainiac and then Mongul.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CrimsonCake

Brainiac and then Darkseid for the second sequel.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mega_spidey01

brainiac, then doomsday

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Saren

@AtPhantom said:

Lex has been around for practically every Superman film. Give him a rest.

I'm disappointed people aren't voting for Henshaw.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Primmaster64
    @CitizenBane: Hank would be cool....But he does need a new origin...
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle
    @CitizenBane said:

@AtPhantom said:

H e ha never been represented in a contemporary manner though, If they had the powerful businessman, turned politician, that was used in some stories he come across as more menacing. The Lex portrayal in every movie has been the antiquated criminal mastermind who also serves a sort of comic relief as well....

The whole Superman/Lex rivalry has never really been outfitted properly on screen. I personally wouldn't mind seeing it.
    TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheThe

LOBO.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssejllenrad

@BlackArmor said:

Lets wait and see if the first movie is goof enough for a sequel

This is the answer.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By HolySerpent

I really don't henshaw origins on big screen.. It's to close to fantastic fours origin. Also I prefer brainiac and mongul

DrEgonSpengler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrEgonSpengler

Darkseid!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AtPhantom

@CitizenBane said:

@AtPhantom said:

I'm disappointed people aren't voting for Henshaw.

I'll give him a rest when he's done properly for a film.

Of the other Superman villains:

Cyborg Superman - Could work, but would likely be presented primarily as a clone of Superman, the whole 'cannot die' angle would probably be ditched in favor of being more of a foil, which is basically what Superman: Doomsday did (And Superman: Doomsday was good a movie).

Darkseid - Not a chance in hell. You cannot put Darkseid in a Superman movie without butchering the character. And if you're gonna do that, just pick another character.

Brainiac - A year ago I would have said hell naw, but I really like the new Brainiac and how he's been presented, and I think he could probably work pretty well.

Doomsday - Why? Doomsday is an utterly boring villain. He is essentially just a big stupid monster. Less of a character than a plot device. Sure, big stupid monsters are great for cool action scenes, but they cannot carry a feature length movie. More so because Doomsday's only purpose is to kill the main character, which is fine for a comic book stunt, but very bad for a movie about said character. The only way you could use it is if you put death and rebirth in the same film, which would require another villain and could seem cluttered if not pulled off right. And is essentially what Superman: Doomsday already did.

Mongul - He has a similar problem to Doomsday in that there's nothing to him. There is no conflict between him and Superman other than him trying to conquer the Earth and all. Like Doomsday, Mongul simply presents a giant threat, in his case a giant threat of invasion. He can be menacing and clever, but offers no chance for character development in Superman himself. Anything he can do as a character, Zod can and likely will do better.

Bizzarro - ... Why?

Puzzler - No, seriously, why?

And still the best choice is the one which can challenge Superman on every level except pure physical. Lex challenges his intelligence, his morality, and most importantly, his humanity. If he cannot pose a direct threat, just stick someone like Metallo in there, it's what he's there for more or less. But Lex is the one which can, through their (one-sided) rivalry inform us more about Superman himself more than any other character on the list. And that's what holds movies together. Not action scenes and pointless wanton destruction, but personal conflict between the characters, something Doomsday and Mongul, at least, cannot give. That is why Lex always is, and more or less has to be in any Superman feature. Not because he's cool (which he is) but because he defines his opposite so well.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Primmaster64

No..Lex...no. As for Mongul you seem to have forgotten For The Man Who Has Everything. As for introduction, a good writer would be down with that.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By jrock85

Darkseid or Henshaw.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sinestro_GL

Brainiac deserves a silver screen adaptation...can you imagine how the collector of worlds would look in glorious CGI?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Primmaster64
    @sinestro_GL said:

Brainiac deserves a silver screen adaptation...can you imagine how the collector of worlds would look in glorious CGI?

Hey..now that I think about it. Brainiac could also be a contender for main villain in a Justice League movie.
    joshhh_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshhh_10

i woulds have to say doomsday then he has to battle hank henshaw in the sequel but in the doomsday one it ends with superman dying and the henshaw taking over the mantle and then the next movie he destorys metropolis causing the return of Clark

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtPhantom

@Primmaster64 said:

No..Lex...no. As for Mongul you seem to have forgotten For The Man Who Has Everything. As for introduction, a good writer would be down with that.

That has nothing to do with Mongul himself. Any villain could have taken his place and the story would have remained the same. For The Man Who Has Everything was story all about Superman, the things he wanted but could not have and was ultimately forced to let go once he finally got them. Mongul in the story was nothing but a plot device there to deliver Black Mercy to him and keep Batman and Wonder woman from taking it off him, thus moving the plot forward. At no point in the story does Mongul's uniqueness as a character (and to be honest, I'm not sure there is any) come out. Put Zod, or Darkseid, or Despero, or Starro in his position, and the structure of the story remains completely the same.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Primmaster64

Well that's where good writers come....Make something new. New origin, new motives, ect. How hard can it be. Let's just agree to disagree, because you are starting too sound like you don't like Mongul(Which probably is the reason). And if you say Mongul ha no character development, the only people to blame are the writers that keep using Lex Luthor for everything. Heck, the best Superman stories I ever read, whether is elseworld or canon material, doesn't have Lex in it. But again let's agree to disagree. I'm not gonna change you're mind and you are not gonna change mine.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Bizarro ftw.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AtPhantom

@Primmaster64 said:

Well that's where good writers come....Make something new. New origin, new motives, ect. How hard can it be. Let's just agree to disagree, because you are starting too sound like you don't like Mongul(Which probably is the reason). And if you say Mongul ha no character development, the only people to blame are the writers that keep using Lex Luthor for everything. Heck, the best Superman stories I ever read, whether is elseworld or canon material, doesn't have Lex in it. But again let's agree to disagree. I'm not gonna change you're mind and you are not gonna change mine.

I don't hate Mongul. I consider him a pretty menacing and cool villain. But I don't consider him capable of carrying a movie, and I think Superman has so much better villains already. And Mongul s generally more associated with Green Lantern, so you can't really blame Superman writers.

Come one man. Don't agree. Argue. I'm not opposed to a good argument when I see one. Arguing is the point of internet forums. Arguing is how we get new ideas and test the opinions we have. Seriously people, if you can't make an argument or just not feeling like it, that's perfectly fine, but don't just bow out after a post or two on the grounds that nobody will change their minds. How could you know that if you don't try?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Primmaster64
    @AtPhantom: Superman does have cool vllains, but they are not Toyman, ect. Lex Luthor would be neat if the main villain is Metallo or Bizarro. Who knows? Maybe Mongul can carry out his own film. Maybe he can't we don't really know. But like you posted, we will never know if it works until someone tries is. Geoff Johns pretty much place 2 cool Superman villains in GL. But they where first with Superman and still are( or where back in the post-crisis Universe) Superman villains. Hank will always hate Superman no matter what he said it and would try to kill him on site...Same goes for Mongul. But alright what villains would you have them use in the sequel that are not Darkseid, Mongul, Lex or Brainiac?

I could but right know I am feeling kind of lazy.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AtPhantom

@Primmaster64: No, fair enough, we won't know if it will work until someone does it. But then the question arises of why going through all the trouble of reinventing a villain if there are already awesome enough villains to go?

Again, fair, Johns transplanted Henshaw and Mongul to GL. But the difference between the two is, Henshaw has credible personal reasons to hate Superman. Mongul doesn't. Mongul can hate Superman no more than he can hate anyone else who stood up to his plans of conquest and defeated him, and nothing in any story written about the two makes Superman special. That's what makes his transplant into GL so easy and seamless.

Of who I would use, I don't know honestly. My answer would first and foremost be Lex or Brainiac. Barring those two... I suppose the only other alternative I see are Doomsday and Henshaw, but as noted, Superman: Doomsday already did that.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Primmaster64
    @AtPhantom: True, for Mongul to be use in a Superman movie, Superman would have to be transported to Warworld. Or maybe Mongul just happened to heard of this Man Of Steel and wants to use him as a main attraction to his Warworld. besides Mongul was created exactly to pose Superman as physical thread. Someone could just use Mongul's origin and go on from there. 

That's why John's is a hit or miss for me. You don't take other people's villains and place them elsewhere...though it did go on pretty nicely. That's why I like Hank, but if they ever do use him in a movie, his origin has to be tweaked a little, so he doesn't look like a Fantastic Four rip off. Mongul could hate Superman if Superman also humiliated him or Mongul feels like Superman humiliated him.

There also Mr.Mxzy, Ultraman, Preus, Imperiex, Gog, Kryptonite Man, Metallo, Atomic Skull, Neutron, Dominus, Superboy-Prime, Satanus, ect. Maybe some of the people I posted wouldn't work in a movie, but hey...who knows....Maybe also some of Grant's villains.
    No Caption Provided
    blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blackadamFTW

Brainiac or Cyborg Superman would be awesome.

If they BAMF'd out Mongul, I think it could be good, but I just don't see the yellow and purple guy going well.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Primmaster64: Actually, this is not too dissimilar to an idea I once had...I proposed in a thread somewhere that should DC decide to make a JLA movie, they should make it in at least two parts - the first dealing with origins, and as a cliff-hanger, have Brainiac come at the end of the film - leading to the second instalment.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AtPhantom

@Primmaster64 said:

@AtPhantom: True, for Mongul to be use in a Superman movie, Superman would have to be transported to Warworld. Or maybe Mongul just happened to heard of this Man Of Steel and wants to use him as a main attraction to his Warworld. besides Mongul was created exactly to pose Superman as physical thread. Someone could just use Mongul's origin and go on from there.

Thing is, Superman gladiatoring around on Warworld doesn't sound like a good idea for a movie to me. It sounds like a cool idea for a comic book, but that's because comic books allow you to tell as many stories you want. Movie only gives you one (Two if it's a sequel). Are you gonna use it on that?

That's why John's is a hit or miss for me. You don't take other people's villains and place them elsewhere...though it did go on pretty nicely. That's why I like Hank, but if they ever do use him in a movie, his origin has to be tweaked a little, so he doesn't look like a Fantastic Four rip off. Mongul could hate Superman if Superman also humiliated him or Mongul feels like Superman humiliated him.

Honestly, Johns has been mostly miss for since, oh, say, Sinestro Corps War. I don't think Henshaw's FF tribute is a problem. It doesn't really matter how he got where he got. It only matters that he can't freaking die and blames Superman for it. Mongul would need a complete motivation overhaul.

There also Mr.Mxzy, Ultraman, Preus, Imperiex, Gog, Kryptonite Man, Metallo, Atomic Skull, Neutron, Dominus, Superboy-Prime, Satanus, ect. Maybe some of the people I posted wouldn't work in a movie, but hey...who knows....Maybe also some of Grant's villains.

I don't consider any of them able to carry a movie (And honestly, the fact that you listed Superboy-Prime makes me worry about you a bit. :P) Mxy, well My is a gimmick character. He exists to cause mischief, not to be an open menace. And sure, its fun to see Superman slapped around by an all-powerful being occasionally, but it does not a compelling story make.Ultraman, Preus, Imperiex, Gog, Dominus and Satanus just raise too many different questions and would require far too long to establish properly. Kryptonite Man, Metallo, Atomic Skull and Neutron are all B and C list villains. In other words, no one cares about them. Also, many of them are kinda silly (But then again what isn't in comics?)

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Primmaster64
    @AtPhantom: You may have a point. Superman not being on Earth may cause problems...But like I said they may just use Mongul and create a new motive. Who knows, maybe he is an intergalactic overlord or something. Maybe it could just be on Earth Mongul trying to enslave it like Loki did.

That's why Johns pi$$es me off sometimes with his GL fanboyism . And for Hank to work he would have to be in this movie or not be the main villain until the 3rd movie. So they can build up his character.

What's wrong with Prime? You know I like him :P Mxy would probably be the best main villain in a Superman video game. So we kinda are getting to the conclusion that pretty much unless its Brainiac, Lex or Zod no other Superman villain would work in the big screen. Which is sad, since that's basically the old propaganda that Superman has lame villains...But like I wrote I would accept Lex if it has Metallo or Bizarro in it.
    imran6388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By imran6388

I think the much better villain would be BRAINIAC and with him there should be one more villain which I really want to see and unfortunately no one else has ever talked about it the thing which can almost kill superman and that is DOOMSDAY. I don't know why not any director has yet thought about it. if any one put it then u can see much more awesome battle scene as compare to battle between superman and general zod.

once again I must say DOOMSDAY can be awesome and it could bring something new to the movie. and plz plz no one should ever took the name of lex luthor he can do nothing as we saw in previous versions of movies.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

Here is my suggestion for Man of Steel 2. The villain ? Us, humanity.

After MoS the military reveal that they have salvaged a few Kryptonian artifacts. They hope to find a way to weaponize them. Among the team is hyper-genius Lex Luthor. He's a billionaire, he's arrogant, detached, cold, calculating with a transhumanist agenda. He tells people that yes, they can save all the natural resources and maybe if they are really lucky earth will be saved around 2100 or 2150 at the latest. But if we make a concentrated effort and use all our resources we can solve our problems in ten years and we'll have the capability to replace all the resources we used up and live in a post-singularity paradise. Luthor thinks that the Man of the Steel is the perfect asset to use in his plans, he doesn't want him destroyed, he wants him at his side or at worst contained so that Luthor can figure him out and discover the secrets to his powers. He contacts Clark and tell him of his plans, but Clark is very reluctant. "This is the only planet you have, if your calculations are off by even a fraction, you lose everything and there is no second chance. Krypton was far more advanced than earth and it too used up its resources and was destroyed, I will do everything to make sure this doesn't happen to my new home." Luthor arrogantly says they will not make the same mistakes, but Clark disagrees.

Meanwhile a secret international group dedicated to destroying the Man of Steel tries to attack him. They have built various machines and weapons to try to stop him. Clark defeats them but it's a trap and they try to use an experimental cobalt nuclear weapon to kill him. Clark stops those plans. The problem is that the military interpret this as more proof that the Man of Steel is a liability. His presence almost caused a nuclear incident. If he is put out of the way things will go back to normal.

Of course the plan to make an anti-Man of Steel weapon backfires. They tried to open a portal to the phantom zone to trap him, but instead it has some nasty effect like disintegrating metal or distorting reality. Clark has to intervene to stop this and destroys the device, he also takes away the rest of the artifacts telling Luthor humanity isn't ready for this. Luthor is outraged by this and asks Clark what gives him the right to decide what is right or wrong for mankind. Clark responds that the near failure of the device is proof enough. Luthor decides there and then that the Man of Steel is a barrier to a glorious future and must be destroyed ...

Man of Steel 3 : Brainiac and Luthor Brainiac attacks our planet, but Luthor hacks his technology and attempts to use to remake our planet, but Brainiac regains control and the Man of Steel is the only one who can save the world. Luthor should be arrogance personified and perhaps one of the few human beings on the planet that is utterly unafraid of standing up to the Man of Steel no matter what, because in Luthor's mind, all those powers are insignificant, real power lies in shaping the destiny of whole planets and Clark is utterly blind to this concept.

You want to keep Doomsday for when Clark has been through a bunch of adventures and is ready to go to the next phase. Doomsday must be the most brutal superhero film ever made, no holds barred and a million times the threat Zod ever was. Zod was a soldier gone rogue, Doomsday should be an utterly malevolent holocaust, an unstoppable monster that is off the limits and hates all life. He should kill off several powerful heroes just to make a point and the Man of Steel will make the ultimate sacrifice to stop him.

Darkseid should be another villain you should use sparingly. He's an evil overlord, he has armies to do his bidding. Use the anti-life formula to turn everybody into a dedicated slave of Darkseid. He should be able to stop the Man of Steel cold and any direct confrontation would be pretty epic.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

That's okay "mercy" has a place in a Man of Steel Thread anyways ... just ask Zod!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex is going to be the villain, with Metallo.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the huge battle scenes in MoS so Parasite can replicate that( maybe without laying waste to the whole city this time though). Lex should also be introduced...

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Elite and Lex Luthor (With Battle Armour)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.