Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman's combat speed

• 63 results
    Avatar image for noobasaurus_rex
    Noobasaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Noobasaurus_Rex

Does he have any confirmed on-panel feats that his combat speed is FTL? He has shown on-panel that he can fly FTL, and it was written as well (some instances I can think of are when Batman talked about him accelerating to light speed when he flew into the shadow moon, and one when he escaped a black hole), but out of all the instances I have seen of his combat reaction speed, it does not state that he moves FTL. Does anyone have any scans that state his combat speed is FTL? If there are none, we can solely rely on assumptions to make this conclusion, and I don't like relying on assumptions. I like facts.

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By velle37
    @Noobasaurus_Rex  

In terms of raw speed he can move ftl, but i doubt his combat speed is FTL since WW noted that her reflexes are faster than Superman's.
    Noobasaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Noobasaurus_Rex
    @velle37 said:
    " @Noobasaurus_Rex    In terms of raw speed he can move ftl, but i doubt his combat speed is FTL since WW noted that her reflexes are faster than Superman's. "
    I wonder, though, exactly how fast he is. In combat speed, would he be massively hypersonic like DBZ characters? 

Also, I don't think Wonder Woman has shown to be FTL in combat speed as well. Just because she is faster than him reflex wise, that doesn't mean that her reflexes are FTL.
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By velle37
    @Noobasaurus_Rex said:
    " @velle37 said:
    " @Noobasaurus_Rex    In terms of raw speed he can move ftl, but i doubt his combat speed is FTL since WW noted that her reflexes are faster than Superman's. "
    I wonder, though, exactly how fast he is. In combat speed, would he be massively hypersonic like DBZ characters?  Also, I don't think Wonder Woman has shown to be FTL in combat speed as well. Just because she is faster than him reflex wise, that doesn't mean that her reflexes are FTL. "

All the more reason Superman wouldn't be..... If she's faster then him, and she's not ftl.... 

Hypothetically............
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEGRAAF

i know that this isnt main cont but you would think that the Superman shown has the same powers, reflexes and abilities as the main Superman 

how fast is the speed of thought? -  Around 300 milliseconds. That's how long it took a volunteer to begin to understand a pictured object. Add to that another 250 to 450 milliseconds to fully comprehend what it was. Total speed of thought: between 550 and 750 milliseconds.

Read more: What is the speed of thought? | Answerbaghttp://www.answerbag.com/q_view/23027#ixzz18lPhM5er     

1 milli-second is a thousandth of a second 

so he can move at a speeds of .075 secs but it doesnt say how far he moves in that amount of time. I would guess ft per (or in the Russian case metres per) but i usually think of miles or Kilometers so that is up for debate
    Noobasaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Noobasaurus_Rex
    @velle37 said:
    " @Noobasaurus_Rex said:
    " @velle37 said:
    I wonder, though, exactly how fast he is. In combat speed, would he be massively hypersonic like DBZ characters?  Also, I don't think Wonder Woman has shown to be FTL in combat speed as well. Just because she is faster than him reflex wise, that doesn't mean that her reflexes are FTL. "
     All the more reason Superman wouldn't be..... If she's faster then him, and she's not ftl....  Hypothetically............ "
    Mach 5 is faster than Mach 4. Does that mean Mach 4 is slow? Not at all. 

You get my point?
    Noobasaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Noobasaurus_Rex
    @DEGRAAF: What comic is that scan from?
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By velle37
    @Noobasaurus_Rex said:
    " @velle37 said:
    " @Noobasaurus_Rex said:
    " @velle37 said:
     All the more reason Superman wouldn't be..... If she's faster then him, and she's not ftl....  Hypothetically............ "
    Mach 5 is faster than Mach 4. Does that mean Mach 4 is slow? Not at all.  You get my point? "

I don't........
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Noobasaurus_Rex said:
    " @velle37 said:
    " @Noobasaurus_Rex said:
    " @velle37 said:
    Mach 5 is faster than Mach 4. Does that mean Mach 4 is slow? Not at all.  You get my point? "

yea but if WW has faster reflexes then Supes and her reflexes arent faster than the speed of light then Supermans reflexes wouldnt be either 

@Noobasaurus_Rex:
    idk someone esle pointed it out to me when i said Hal Jordan could beat Wally West in a fight because he just has to think and he could beat flash but if flash moves faster then the speed of thought than flash would still win
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Valtot

wonder womans reflexes are better cause of mucles memory where as superman though his were better cause. depends on whos writing the character some supermans have 10 times the speed of thought reflexes while others nanosecond thinking speed

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Thor's hammmer

hmm so he doesn't have FTL feats?
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Valtot
    @Thor's hammmer:
    only if he was was moving at light speed because than he could easily see things at light speed but no not normally. he could probalby vibrate at light speed if someone was using this in a battle arguement than hed have it but normally just standing around no unless, if he was say concentrating and waiting for a attack he could
    segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By segamarvel

Why does only her muscle memory mean she's faster? If all my speed came from pure muscle memory to would I be faster then Clark to? Not even close.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

He's not faster in the comics that what you can see in the cartoons or the movies.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He's not faster in the comics that what you can see in the cartoons or the movies.

Except all those times that he proved he was.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper said:

Scans

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ftl

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

Super Speed

Supes possesses true Super Speed, as such he does a lot more than just goes fast

Reaction Speed

Molecular Vibration

Phasing

Invisibility

Travel Speed

Thought Speed

Speed n52

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ComicStooge

@comicstooge said:
    @realitywarper said:

Scans

I'll find my collection for you then post some. Pre-reboot or current?

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RealityWarper

@comicstooge:

Current, of course.

@rpgesus:

I already know that respect thread and Superman didn't display anything more impressive than Thor did.

To explain the way I see it with more precision.

My general behaviour towards Superman's speed in a fight is that people mix-up the ability that Superman shows when he bullrush with the capacity to fight at really high-speeds.

To summarize, imagine a Knight charging on his horse : that's the movement bonus that Superman beneficiate in a fight with more manoeuvrability and the ability to spam it on short burst of speed to stay close to his opponent...

That means that Superman has a great ability for the hit & run has he can easily remove himself from a fight or engage his opponent at will if he isn't restrained.

In terms of attack rate (the number of punch that Superman can deliver) and about his ability to block / parry / dodge attacks I don't see him so far from the street-levelers.

Superman has of course the advantage to have a fast brain speed (enhanced time sense) that allows him to react / analyze fast the threats that he is facing and to take decisions in a short amount of time.

What is your opinion about it ?

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ComicStooge
    Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

@realitywarper Sorry to interfere , Who made that ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supes combat speed : FTL+

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper said:

@comicstooge:

Current, of course.

I've barely read any New 52 Supes so I can't say much regarding him.

I don't remember the Pre-52 being so fast too.

I mean.

I'm a big big reader of all kind of comics (I mean comic books, mangas, "bandes dessinées") and I think that people tend to misunderstand the speed.

If you looks at the mangas, it always been cultural to have very very fast fighters :

If you look at some movies involving samuraïs, the movies are built around the idea of characters that can throws and block attacks at superhuman speeds.

Those samuraïs movies, called chambara, usually focuses on sword fighting : usually the characters can deal with large group of ennemies just by running in the group and delivering several swift strikes or / and avoiding attacks with acrobatic moves.

Comic Books usually shows characters being able to travel fast or making short burst of speed but not fighting at crazy speeds.

The mangas emphasizes the chambara style even more by showing characters exchanging blows at speeds far too fast for the human eye to be seen and sometimes with the power greed it becomes even more crazier than that.

Well, I know that my description lacks of precision but the idea is here.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

What makes you think that fight at FTL+ speeds ? oO

You do realize that he should be invisible for other characters and even stomps the Flash at this point ?

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST
    @thebestofthebest said:

Nope.

What makes you think that fight at FTL+ speeds ? oO

You do realize that he should be invisible for other characters and even stomps the Flash at this point ?

He can and react FTL ! - alright we both know that his travel speed is M-FTL !! right ? if he can't react at those speed's why can he travel at those speed's ? he should have crushed into a planet or asteroid's ? .. etc Regardless he hold's his speed back most of the time .

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can and react FTL !

You can't say that a character can react FTL, that's inappropriate.

The reaction time is measured in milliseconds and is the time that needs the nervous message from the spinal cord to reach the limbs for exemple.

reaction time

noun, Psychology

the interval between stimulation and response.

- alright we both know that his travel speed is M-FTL !! right ?

Thor can do it too with his hammer.

It doesn't mean that he can move at FTL speeds in a fight.

Moreover he needs to accelerate a lot to reach is top speed when he is flying.

if he can't react at those speed's why can he travel at those speed's ?

Misconception.

I explaiend this in my first point.

he should have crushed into a planet or asteroid's ?

-_-

.. etc Regardless he hold's his speed back most of the time .

Not really.

There is just a general misunderstanding on the speed in the battle forum and that's not new.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can react to FTL, so basically he's FTL.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't most of Supermans power will based? It's mostly brain over brawn. So technically he can will himself to be as fast as he needs to be. Assuming he's had enough sun first.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

@realitywarper: Listen bro am not trying to argue here supes speed is literally a bit underrated , but there no misconception's about superman holding his speed back ! "I'll explain that later , heck i replicated that in multiple thread's" , now am gonna address to a :

Screw attack vid ? Remember Vega speed feat ? they were actually right in saying that it doesn't have a specific time-frame. The video would've been better off featuring the Andromeda feat from Infinite Crisis, during which two Supermen managed to fly from Earth to Krypton in a short time-frame, speed-blitzing Superboy-Prime through a Red Sun. Wiz and Boomstick briefly mentioned this feat in terms of durability, but not for speed:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Krypton, at this point in time, was located in the Andromeda Galaxy circa Superman: Birthright, 2,538,000 Light Years from Earth's Solar System.

No Caption Provided

...and though the time-frame of the feat remains not well-specified, the conversation between the Supermen and Superboy-Prime implies that the entire feat happened in a matter of moments - this is further reinforced by the fact that, just mere days after the fight happened, Superman was back on Earth, being interviewed regarding the event:

No Caption Provided

Even assuming that the travel time took 48 Hours, which is ridiculously low-balling the feat, that still means that Superman was travelling at 463,185,000 times the Speed of Light while fighting Prime. Also, if we'd take Final Crisis into account, Superman could negate Time Dilation and evidently surpass "Instant" speed:

No Caption Provided

-_-

A face palm would've been better , unfortunately am immune to face palm's :P... Seriously i had point there .

Not really.

There is just a general misunderstanding on the speed in the battle forum and that's not new.

How is that ? He had been damn casually running at Mach 9350 and he actually had to limit himself to those speeds because he has to be careful about the effects that he has on his surroundings, such as Sonic Booms:

No Caption Provided

The Flash doesn't have this same problem due to the Speed Force, which can absorb generated Kinetic Energy, nullify Sonic Booms and redirect other speed-based effects away from himself and others. Superman doesn't have the Speed Force to rely on, however, so he needs to be cautious Regardless those shockwave (Sonic booms) happens to hit can be accelerated into makeshift peices of shrapnel (Wood, Stone, Plastic, Metal, ect...) that can easily tear through the body and produce hydrostatic shock, even further causing internal damage:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2733763

"The compression and suction phases of blast dynamics manifest as shock waves and displacement waves respectively. The effects of a shock wave depends on the explosive charge, the distance from the explosion and the terrain and surroundings. Spalling, implosion, inertia and pressure differentials are mechanisms by which injury may be inflicted to the human body, especially to the gas containing organs. Displacement waves cause light objects to become high velocity missiles which may cause lacerations or penetrating wounds."

Keep in mind, too, that this would be affected by Superman's distance to ground level while flying, as well - Fighter Jets that are able to fly at Supersonic speeds have been seen as breaking the Sound Barrier relatively close to civilians, but only do this at low Mach Speeds and, typically, only at higher altitudes. Much of a Shockwave's power has to do with the amount of air that it displaces, and moving that fast at a higher altitude means less air to displace. A Fighter Jet that reaches Mach 1.4 at 20,000 feet above ground level, for example, isn't going to have nearly as powerful a Supersonic Shockwave or as loud a Sonic Boom as Superman reaching Mach 10,000 at 5,000 feet above ground level.

For the holding back stuff credit goes to a friend :P .

Should i post the scan were supes was fighting wonder woman from the earth to the sun in matter of second's ?

Peace , If you disagree it's fine .

Post Edited

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebestofthebest: None of this makes him able to fight at lightspeed.

Well if you say so - His fight with wonder woman would make him FTL Then ? but hey , i have a substantial recommendation and intention how about :

To agree to disagree

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper said:

@thebestofthebest: None of this makes him able to fight at lightspeed.

Well if you say so - His fight with wonder woman would make him FTL Then ? but hey , i have a substantial recommendation and intention how about :

To agree to disagree

I think that considering Superman's speed at least Superhuman in a fight is more accurate (Spiderman is at superhuman speed) but I don't think that he is above.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper: What does spider-man have to do with this?

I'm searching a measuring stick to compare Superman's ability to fight at high speed.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an experienced RPG reader and player I think that the term of "combat speed" isn't precise enough.

I guess that we need some way to deal with every settings in a fight that involve the way that the characters fight.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper: Supes still FTL+ if you ask me / his speed is way way a head of spider man speed d hell ? .

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper: Supes still FTL+ if you ask me / his speed is way way a head of spider man speed d hell ? .

Still not FTL+...

He wouldn't be tagged at all by other characters... Even the Flash.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper: Flash is FTL if he want to go MFTL as well as superman Regardless He hold's back his speed a looooot / wait i don't get your first sentence of your previous post ! did you compare spider man speed to superman speed ?

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper: Flash is FTL if he want to go MFTL as well as superman Regardless He hold's back his speed a looooot / wait i don't get your first sentence of your previous post ! did you compare spider man speed to superman speed ?

Flash don't fight at FTL speed usually.

The difference between Flash and Superman is that the Speed Force counters more of the negative effects of the speed, even then he usually fight at speeds far below the speed of light.

Yeah I did compare them

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Clark tag Barry because he anticipate his last move thanks to his brain's speed : that's a combat skill feat = timing feat.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

@realitywarper: 1)I already mention that above "Your first sentence" 2) Both of 'em were inexperienced back then "The very inception of their showing" so that shouldn't actually count as a speed feat.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebestofthebest: Superman doesn't fight at FTL+ speeds, I don't even see why we are debating it.

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman's combat speeds suffers from the same thing that the flash's does. if they both fought at their maximum they would be darn near unstoppable. sometimes superman will have faster than light speed. the next time he gets hit by street levelers. pre nerfed superman has fought ftl. he just can't do it all of the time because there will be no plot. it will be pretty boring for superman to just fly in and knock out his foes in under a nanosecond.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MercinWithAMouth
    Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does this prove exactly?

Just becuase it's a light attack doesn't mean it's light speed also is he deflecting light with his hand?????????? lol

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol the pure stupidity of thinking superman fights at spiderman level speeds. He's ftl travel and combat speed no matter how many essays on comicvine you write lmaooooo

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@l3g3ndarypheonix: "Just because it's a light attack doesn't mean it's light speed" Lol. Denial. He reacted after the attack was fired and still managed to stop it, seemingly without much effort.

He's stopping it, not deflecting it.

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

@mercinwithamouth said:

@l3g3ndarypheonix: "Just because it's a light attack doesn't mean it's light speed" Lol. Denial. He reacted after the attack was fired and still managed to stop it, seemingly without much effort.

He's stopping it, not deflecting it.

but you would need to prove that it's light speed the fact that Superman is physically stopping"light" makes me question this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.