Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Vertigo Series

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What might happen if Superman or any other hero had their own Vertigo series?

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That series would automatically be better than the DC counterpart in my opinion.

Avatar image for whowatchesthewatchmen
    Whowatchesthewatchmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be interesting, I have a feeling any character would get darker if they became a vertigo character. It could be much better or it could be relatively the same... really depends on which vertigo writer. Vertigo would probably take the character in a different direction and be less wary of changing the fundamentals of Superman and any other character so it could be interesting...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Superman shouldn't be dark so a Vertigo title could, maybe, touch on his messianic aspect that mainstream comics can't touch on due to backlash.
    And show how gloom sometimes someone who can see and hear everything can be.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Well Lex Luthor did appear in the Vertigo version of Black Orchid but that's probably the closest any Superman character could get.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman shouldn't be dark so a Vertigo title could, maybe, touch on his messianic aspect that mainstream comics can't touch on due to backlash.

Wait, I thought they'd touched on that with All Star Superman and Kingdom Come.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not? You could have a Batman Vertigo story and no one would bat an eye. Thus, as the liberals say, EQUALITY!

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd either be written like Mr. Majestic or Invincible.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lex luthor by azzarello is the closet we have to a vertigo superman book

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeremy1989

@bsaa said:

Why not? You could have a Batman Vertigo story and no one would bat an eye. Thus, as the liberals say, EQUALITY!

I read rumors there was an unpublished Batman story that's gonna be featured on Vertigo Comics. I think it was called Kingdom of the Mad.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@squalleon said:

Mainstream comics touch it very subtly and indirectly. With Vertigo you can go directly to the point. Not worring about angry mobs and religious metaphors.
    You can delve way deeper to the way Superman sees the world and the way the world sees Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Just make it a elseworld.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@squalleon said:

@jeremy1989 said:
    @squalleon said:

Mainstream comics touch it very subtly and indirectly. With Vertigo you can go directly to the point. Not worring about angry mobs and religious metaphors.

You can delve way deeper to the way Superman sees the world and the way the world sees Superman.

I just thought of so many things based on what you said. It would be really interesting. Clark himself wouldn't have to be dark, genuinely decent people do exist but the uncensored world around him....Damn now i wanna see this happen, don't care if it's an elseworld or a one off/shot vertigo graphic novel.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not a Vertigo Bizarro book, dealing with schizophrenia and identity crisis, as well as genetic manipulation.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@jeremy1989 said:
    @squalleon said:

I just thought of so many things based on what you said. It would be really interesting. Clark himself wouldn't have to be dark, genuinely decent people do exist but the uncensored world around him....Damn now i wanna see this happen, don't care if it's an elseworld or a one off/shot vertigo graphic novel.

I could imagine seeing Superman being a cross between Nietzsche's Übermensch and Jesus Christ incarnate and have a 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe to it. Talking about humanity raw uncensored how he deal with it from his standpoint.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.