Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman= Mary Sue?

• 62 results
    Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By Jestersmiles
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whenever talking about a flaw that Superman has, Superman fan boys go straight to ripping on Batman. This just shows how insecure Superman fan boys are.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is easily a Gary Stu. He's s strong fast handsome smart completely infallible and is almost always the one who saves the day

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@kgb725 said:

Superman is easily a Gary Stu. He's s strong fast handsome smart completely infallible and is almost always the one who saves the day

That description applies to virtually every male superhero.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodamnbatman: Yeah, that whole line of thought was embarrassing.

On-topic: There are two useful definitions of Mary Sue I've found. The first is that Mary Sue is a main character without flaws that everyone shills. Superman occassionally fits the bill here, but a competent writer knows not to do this, and none of his most acclaimed books follow this pattern (not even All-Star, which everyone always says has a Perfect Superman).

The second one is a character who is a narrative black-hole, around whom everything revolves and outside of which the narrative simply doesn't exist. Now, maybe at some point in his 80 year history this applied to him, but not at this point, not in his most acclaimed stories, and not in the stories I've read with him in every decade.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this makes him a Mary Sue because he is often said to be one of the most powerful and greatest superheroes. But.. his strength has not physical limits. He lifts things that should break apart due to its large size and his limits on actual lifting capacity are unlimited like the frequently quoted benching the weight of the planet for five days straight in darkness without breaking a sweat. He clearly doesn't have to physically strain if the writer doesn't want him to

This is absolutely ridiculous to me and has the same annoying effect a Mary Sue does but he is not actually one by contemporary definitions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58 said:

@thegodamnbatman: Yeah, that whole line of thought was embarrassing.

On-topic: There are two useful definitions of Mary Sue I've found. The first is that Mary Sue is a main character without flaws that everyone shills. Superman occassionally fits the bill here, but a competent writer knows not to do this, and none of his most acclaimed books follow this pattern (not even All-Star, which everyone always says has a Perfect Superman).

The second one is a character who is a narrative black-hole, around whom everything revolves and outside of which the narrative simply doesn't exist. Now, maybe at some point in his 80 year history this applied to him, but not at this point, not in his most acclaimed stories, and not in the stories I've read with him in every decade.

I'm was just stating a fact. Whenever the topic for Superman having a negative aspect of his character is brought up, Superman fanboys often feel threatened and try to belittle Batman in response. You can try to dismiss my point, but what I have said is objectivity true, and I'm not the only who believes this:

@squalleon said:Yeah, guys let's trash Batman in a completely unrelated topic with him. Let's show how much insecure and competitive we Superman fans are when it comes to Batman.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Quinlan58

@thegodamnbatman: Deleted my response because I thought you had deleted yours.

To repeat myself, I agree. There is a very vocal segment of the Superman fanbase that bashes Batman whenever Superman is criticized as if that was an adequate defense, and I think that whole line of thought is embarrassing, not just in this case but for any other character and work in any medium.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58: Oh, I apologize, I simply misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you were saying that my line of thought was embarrassing. Anyway, I would just like to say I have nothing against Superman fans in general, it's just the fanboys that Batman that I don't appreciate.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a stupid question. The very origin of Superman puts him very far away from that 'mary sue' term.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jeremy1989

@blackdog2009 said:

What a stupid question. The very origin of Superman puts him very far away from that 'mary sue' term.

No need to be rude. I'm just asking a question. Besides most considered him portrayed as "perfect". So that's why I asked.

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.