Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Is Not A Justin Bieber, So Stop Treating Him Like One

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

Edited By Battlepig

Let’s face it: Superman is boring. He even said so himself. Well, not in these precise words, but the message is clear. And there’s a reason why he’s so boring. Not because “he is an out-dated concept” or because he is too much of a boyscout. It’s because he is neither. But first, let’s talk about Justin Bieber, because most of us are more familiar with Superman than with Justin Bieber.

No Caption Provided

Fig. #2: A teenager's dream
     Fig. #2: A teenager's dream
    Justin Bieber is the latest and hottest teenie-pop-sensation as of May 2011. As such, he’s got a pretty face which is presumably the ideal of young teenagers from all over the world. He’s also had a couple songs that are hugely successful and he’s had a 3D-motion-picture out that chronicles his life on tour. He’s had guest appearances on popular TV-shows like CSI and is a well-liked guest on any talk show. Furthermore, just about every teenie-magazine out there has had nobody but him on the cover for months now. In addition to that, nobody over the age of fifteen seems to “get” him. And there’s a good reason for that, and it’s stunningly simple: There is not all that much to “get”. Basically, Justin Bieber is little more than a pretty face. He says nothing of consequence, nothing that could be misinterpreted with ease, nothing that holds any real value. If you’re a twelve year-old girl, he is everything you want him to be. You want him to be a rebel? Sure, he says stuff that could be interpreted as mild rebellion against the never-specified “them”. You want him to be the romantic love interest who’s just waiting for you? Oh yes, that’s him. You get the picture. He’s a blank canvas that everyone can just paint on. He is everything you need him to be.

The same can be said for Superman. Or most of the other heroes out there right now. But for this, we’ll run with Superman because he’s been around the most and one of the theoretically most well-defined. So Superman stands for “Truth, Justice and the American Way”. The problem is, those concepts are not defined. They’re whatever you want them to be. Even in a historical context, he doesn’t stand for anything. Let’s go for the American Way first. Once upon a time, it was considered to be the American Way to “slap a Jap”. It was once okay to force black people to sit in the back of the bus because the front was whites-only. It was once considered to be the American Way to have slaves. And as much as people want to deny it, that’s what history tells us. Superman, in theory, stood for all that. Thus, the American Way is a very, very flexible concept that is ever-changing. The only thing that American History since the second World War is war. Now, we all know it sucks, but the one thing that’s been a constant in the American Way is waging war. Not a good thing. And since Superman is kind of like a sentinel of peace and liberty and all that, he can’t be a war-waging superhuman. Because modesty is part of the American Way these days, among other things.

Truth. This one is simple, no? It’s either true or it’s false. The very basics of computers and seemingly simple. However, this only works in logical systems. Two plus two will never equal seventy. If you have a gallon of beer and you drink a gallon of beer, you will never have three gallons all of a sudden. However, when you add the human element, truth becomes flexible. What’s truth is not always right. Superman himself has abolished the clear black/white thing during his recent walk, where he was going to throw a guy who pollutes the environment in jail, but then didn’t because it would have put an entire village out of work.

Justice. This one’s simple and I can use the most debated and over-talked issue of all to make my point. The death penalty. A guy ends someone’s life and then has his life ended by justice. In both cases, the same thing happens, but it won’t bring the victim back and it is basically the same thing. Logically speaking, the initial murder and the death penalty are the same thing if you look at the outcome: A life is ended. And in one case, it’s justice and in the other case it’s a crime. Sure, if you add the human element, it somehow adds up to a rather warped concept of justice where up can be down and all that.

Fig. #3: This is better than Superman.
     Fig. #3: This is better than Superman.
    So, where does that leave us with? With Superman being an empty concept, that’s where. He and his compatriot are Justin Biebers. You can just say “Oh, Superman likes the death penalty because it’s the American Way” and it would be true. But I’m sure you’ll find a dozen comics where he opposes the death penalty. However, they’re not all empty concepts. You have heroes like the most recent incarnation of Magog, for example*. He had a clear set of views. He didn’t like slavery on a personal level. And while all the other heroes glanced over it, he did something about it. He was a bit more extreme in his political views. And that’s the thing that made him so interesting, even if you didn’t share his views. Or Rick Grimes of The Walking Dead fame. He’s a deeply flawed character and, much to his chagrin, a natural born leader. However, it is clear where his loyalties are and every time you think that you might have seen him grow out of it, that he’s finally a hero in everybody’s eyes, he goes and lets someone die in cold blood or lets Carl get away with murder. Yet, for some really strange reason, Rick is often more of a hero than Superman could possibly be. But both Rick and Magog are way more interesting as characters, because they have views, they have opinions and they feel more human to the reader, so we can either connect to them better or hate them more.

Fig. #4: You tried to forget this, didn't you?
    Fig. #4: You tried to forget this, didn't you?
    There’s a downside to this, though, as there is to everything. If you have a character with clearly defined morals and a clearly defined mindset, he or she is very likely to be out-dated at some point. That’s where a thing called a “lifecycle” comes in. Just like Justin Bieber, to get back to our amazing but devoid-of-character popstar. In two years, nobody will remember him and he will play at WalMart openings. At some point, you should just let something die. Record executives have realized that, even though the singers themselves rarely do. However, this is something, of course, that will never happen with comic books. Because, comic books not really being about telling the best possible stories but selling the most possible issues… there’s just too much money to be made of characters that should have died or otherwise expired a long, long time ago. And with Superman, we’re at a point where no re-imagining or no alternate-version-replacing-the-original or new powerset can fix him. However, we’ll luckily get a couple of alternate versions of Superman every now and then or some writer who manages to tell an interesting despite Superman being beyond salvation. Or they do the only sensible thing and tell a story about his supporting cast, like Lex Luthor in the recent issues of Action Comics.

But other than that, we’ll get more Superman issues. And a lot of them will suck. And people will complain. And Superman will never be allowed to die.

*Yes, I do realize that the Magog book was basically dead on arrival because the story was such crap, but I do find him as a character more interesting than most new characters there are.
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By azza04

Very interesting read. I personally don't think Superman is beyond saving just yet but they really need to decide where they want to take this character and fast. It seems like I haven't read a really good Superman story for years now. I tend to go through love/hate fazes with Superman, right now I'm in the hate zone, I just can't take him seriously any more with wearing his underwear on the outside of his costume.  

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DH69

can i treat him like gilbert gottfried then?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sesquipedalophobe
    @Battlepig:  Very good read.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @DH69 said:
    "

can i treat him like gilbert gottfried then?

"
    You mean Dierfttog Treblig? Hehehehe!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By #1

Nice read

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I didnt know Justin Bieber was an overpwered coprate buisness symbol WOW!!! ;D

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ssejllenrad

This was bound to happen sooner or later. I might as well be the one to do it.. :D

No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Primmaster64

Great...Another Superman ''Hate'' thread. We just need good writters for Supes....and yeah Grounded does suck...We all hate it. I don't like Justin Bieber. DNT EVER COMPARE  Supes with Justin Bieber. But yeah...I woul;d like Supes to be more modernized and they should take out  the underwear once and for all.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't know what comparison is being made between Beiber and Superman but I'm going to go ahead and guess it's reaching.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kallarkz
    Superman like all other characters will always be hated by some and loved by others. 
    Problem is that people always worry about what others think about what they can or can't like.

Didn't that end in High School?
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Let's see if anyone remembers Justin Bieber after 70 years, let alone him still being popular

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Battlepig:  i've been reading superman for years and find him both interesting and still relevant  in today's society, superman stands for more than just being the "boyscott" he's what we all should ASPIRE to be like, that's the ironic thing about him, although he's an alien, he's more "human" than any of us, if we had his morals, his values, crime would be virtually non existent, he is what the world needs, and for that he will always be one of my favorite superheroes. in the world of comics today with all of the "anti heroes" making killing cool like Deadpool, Wolverine, Punisher etc, they're forgetting what being a hero is all about, putting it in the words of Peter Parker "it's about acting HEROIC in the face of adversity" and superman does that, his morals never crumble, his actions speak louder than his words which already speak throughout the world. he's the perfect hero, smart, strong physically and mentally, caring and kind. he won't just be caught up in his own day to day troubles but will take time to be in a parade to inspire hope to the public, the people won't doubt him, won't second guess his motives, he is the ultimate beacon of hope, so go ahead, make fun of his "outdated" morals, talk about his underwear being on the outside, truth is Superman started the superhero business and kept it running for over 70 years up, up AND AWAY!
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slinger
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " Let's see if anyone remembers Justin Bieber after 70 years, let alone him still being popular "
    Challenge accepted! Making it a point to do so now. Must... stave off... senility...!
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Slinger said:
    " @jloneblackheart said:
    " Let's see if anyone remembers Justin Bieber after 70 years, let alone him still being popular "
    Challenge accepted! Making it a point to do so now. Must... stave off... senility...! "
    Most popular college shirt by 2081... Nyehehehehe!

No Caption Provided
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aronmorales

Let's see if the new movie will change anyone's uninterested mind...

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slinger
    @ssejllenrad: If that's real I must have one!
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Slinger said:
    " @ssejllenrad: If that's real I must have one! "
    You either wait for 2081 or go to the future... :D
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By entropy_aegis

Magog? is'nt he the same troll that was killed by Max Lord? lol.Other than that i don't even understand the point of your mediocre article,if you love Magog so much then go post on his boards(wait does he even have one?)

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Magian
    @jloneblackheart said:
    This.
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UltimateSMfan
    @The Stegman said:
    " @Battlepig:  i've been reading superman for years and find him both interesting and still relevant  in today's society, superman stands for more than just being the "boyscott" he's what we all should ASPIRE to be like, that's the ironic thing about him, although he's an alien, he's more "human" than any of us, if we had his morals, his values, crime would be virtually non existent, he is what the world needs, and for that he will always be one of my favorite superheroes. in the world of comics today with all of the "anti heroes" making killing cool like Deadpool, Wolverine, Punisher etc, they're forgetting what being a hero is all about, putting it in the words of Peter Parker "it's about acting HEROIC in the face of adversity" and superman does that, his morals never crumble, his actions speak louder than his words which already speak throughout the world. he's the perfect hero, smart, strong physically and mentally, caring and kind. he won't just be caught up in his own day to day troubles but will take time to be in a parade to inspire hope to the public, the people won't doubt him, won't second guess his motives, he is the ultimate beacon of hope, so go ahead, make fun of his "outdated" morals, talk about his underwear being on the outside, truth is Superman started the superhero business and kept it running for over 70 years up, up AND AWAY! "
    readin this stupid thread i was waitin for someone to say something like this!!! screw all u haters of his costume if dc change it i will personally sue them!!...somehow......bt the stegman just laid it out fr all of u Superman is the Ultimate hero!! cant wait for the new movie just hope they do him justice plus cant wait for smallville series finale is gonna be epic as hell!!!
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Billy Batson

lol JB

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Billy Batson
    @ssejllenrad said:
    " This was bound to happen sooner or later. I might as well be the one to do it.. :D

No Caption Provided
    "

lol nice

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Battlepig

Wow. What a response. Thanks, guys. Now, let's get to answering questions and giving feedback on the feedback.

@TheCheeseStabber
    said:

" I didnt know Justin Bieber was an overpwered coprate buisness symbol WOW!!! ;D "

@jloneblackheart said:

In a sense, he is an overpowered corporate business symbol. He is little more than a moneymaking machine for some people. He just won't stick around as long as Superman because he's getting older and thus more and more inaccessible for the target audience. Superman never ages, on the other hand. Which is also a reason why we're at the beyond-salvation-point for Superman. If he had expired a long time ago, we'd have something or someone new to take his place.

@ssejllenrad said:

" This was bound to happen sooner or later. I might as well be the one to do it.. :D

No Caption Provided
    "
    That, kind sir, is hilarious!

@Primmaster64 said:

" Great...Another Superman ''Hate'' thread. We just need good writters for Supes....and yeah Grounded does suck...We all hate it. I don't like Justin Bieber. DNT EVER COMPARE  Supes with Justin Bieber. But yeah...I woul;d like Supes to be more modernized and they should take out  the underwear once and for all. "

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Superman. Quite the opposite. I do like the concept of a character who is the very best we can and should be. But this "best" is flexible. It's not something set in stone. And you can't have that in one character. Because if you do, it becomes very unbelievable. And his outfit is not even the issue. I don't even mind his underwear all that much anymore. I used to, but then they had Zap-Superman (which also was a good idea, but just not Superman) and then I found a whole new appreciation for people wearing their undies outside of their trousers.

@Vance Astro
    said:

" I don't know what comparison is being made between Beiber and Superman but I'm going to go ahead and guess it's reaching. "

No, it's not.

@The Stegman said:
    " @Battlepig:  i've been reading superman for years and find him both interesting and still relevant  in today's society, superman stands for more than just being the "boyscott" he's what we all should ASPIRE to be like, that's the ironic thing about him, although he's an alien, he's more "human" than any of us, if we had his morals, his values, crime would be virtually non existent, he is what the world needs, and for that he will always be one of my favorite superheroes. in the world of comics today with all of the "anti heroes" making killing cool like Deadpool, Wolverine, Punisher etc, they're forgetting what being a hero is all about, putting it in the words of Peter Parker "it's about acting HEROIC in the face of adversity" and superman does that, his morals never crumble, his actions speak louder than his words which already speak throughout the world. he's the perfect hero, smart, strong physically and mentally, caring and kind. he won't just be caught up in his own day to day troubles but will take time to be in a parade to inspire hope to the public, the people won't doubt him, won't second guess his motives, he is the ultimate beacon of hope, so go ahead, make fun of his "outdated" morals, talk about his underwear being on the outside, truth is Superman started the superhero business and kept it running for over 70 years up, up AND AWAY! "
    He's only relevant because he is made relevant every time the political and public opinion shifts. This makes him unbelievable. At one time, Superman didn't like black people, for example. And if he stands for more than the boyscout, what does he stand for? The things you mention, the "everything we all should aspire to be", what is that? It's vaguely defined as to not alienate potential readers. It's vague enough that everyone can read basically anything they want into it. That's my entire point. Superman is empty phrases, general statements... with laser vision.

As for "his morals never crumble. As much as you love or hate the storyline, here's something from "Grounded", where Superman's morals crumble. This is who Superman is. Not what you want him to be. This is canon. This is happening and for that, I am very sorry.
    No Caption Provided
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " Magog? is'nt he the same troll that was killed by Max Lord? lol.Other than that i don't even understand the point of your mediocre article,if you love Magog so much then go post on his boards(wait does he even have one?) "

Heh, I know. Please refer to my footnote. His book was absolutely awful. I don't even know how that thing ever got past anyone who even looked like an editor. But the character of Magog himself was more interesting than Superman because that's who he is. He's not a liberal-conservative racist antiracist and so on. He is the one character, not about seventy who were just given the same face and the same look.

@UltimateSMfan
    said:
    readin this stupid thread i was waitin for someone to say something like this!!! screw all u haters of his costume if dc change it i will personally sue them!!...somehow......bt the stegman just laid it out fr all of u Superman is the Ultimate hero!! cant wait for the new movie just hope they do him justice plus cant wait for smallville series finale is gonna be epic as hell!!! "

Changing his looks. Bad idea, even if the idea behind the look-change is not too bad. See Zap-Superman for details.
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#24  Edited By AssertingValor

justin beeber deserves no respect........

he cannot and will not be compared to superman!!........................................................

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vitality

For supposed "haters" of Justin Bieber...he sure is on your mind a lot.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Battlepig: what i meant was he stands for the "All American boy" truthful, courageous hard working, helping, strong willed, now i dont like that term "all american" cause these traits can be applied to any person regardless of nationality, but let's call it that to get a set term out.  and as i listed above "what we aspire to be" is what we SHOULD be, honest, knowing right from wrong, staying true to values that can help the world and not hurt it. and i thought you might bring up that issue of the Grounded story, it's a really controversial issue (and personally my favorite in the arc) because it DOES show him faltering, for the first time, he has to choose the lesser of two evils rather than just make a third option, and i think he did the right thing, he chose the needs of the many compared to that of the few and in the end he still solved the problem (later scans shows that he tells the owner of the plant to make sure it doesnt destroy the environment or he'll be back) so i say he solved the problem completely
    Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Battlepig

@The Stegman: I did explain why being truthful applies to anything and everything, especially when it comes to Superman. According to the man of steel, it was okay to hate black people (I keep bringing this up, I know, but it's a very strong argument that no amount of "But he's truthful!" can refute). And if we truly aspired to be Superman, we wouldn't be anything anymore. We'd be homogenous sacks of meat with no real will, no real views, no real anything other than some vaguely defined morals and ideas that might as well mean the complete opposite of what you want.

Meanwhile, I do support the idea of a hero who embodies all that we should be. But there needs to be a more elegant way of doing it. You can't just have a character do a complete 180 just because a different writer happens to write the character in a different decade. "But views change", you might say. Yes, they do. This is exactly my point. Views do change. People, however, rarely do. And Superman makes a great point of basically being "people".

As for the problem in the crumbling-morals-image, here's a simple solution: Get Metamorpho, he'll turn the toxins into cotton candy. Fix the leak, everyone's happy. That would have been helping. Geo-Force or Zatanna would have done the job too. As for your argument, it is slightly flawed or just poorly worded. I hate to be that grammar nazi guy, but you said "His morals never crumble. This makes him awesome" in one post and in the next, you go "His morals crumble. This makes him awesome." I'm not quite sure how I should understand that, but I think you're quite probably trying to make a valid point that I would most likely agree with... if you're going where I think you're going.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Battlepig: i'm trying to think of the instant where superman actually said he doesnt like black people but cant think of it, what instance are you talking about? and being a morally right person doesnt equal losing willpower, for example, i dont believe in the death penalty, i dont think anyone should decide who lives or who dies, i dont believe in excessive force that some law enforcement use, if it were up to me, wars wouldn't happen, these are just some of the things that Superman believes in,and i still have free will, what may be vague to you, are Crystal clear to me he even stated himself that "if the world were perfect, it wouldn't need a Superman" 

next, i dont see you're argument for this paragraph, are you saying that Superman's change (in the grounded story) was uncharacteristic? cause i agree with that, it is, however it's a hard decision to make, it wasn't just black or white (as he said) yet in the end, he still solved the dilemma in a way that left everyone satisfied. 

and yes, metamorpho or zatanna could have solved it (albeit not permanently since they would have to stay on sight forever to constantly change the toxins) but they werent there, so i really dont see a practical way to just have them appear. and i said his morals never crumble, true it makes him awesome, but i didnt say his morals crumbled in the grounded example, i said he faltered, which means he had a moment of doubt, crumbling morals means he would abandon everything he believes in and do the opposite. here he just faced a tough decision it was a lose lose situation, if he shut down the plant (letting lois do the story) then hundreds would lose their jobs, however if he didnt, the ecosystem could be ruined, he made a move that left Lois unhappy, yes, but after hearing the manager's side, and the workers (who agreed the plant should stay open) he made the right decision, and he will continue to come by regularly to make sure the plant does a better job at being earth friendly, i cant think of ANY hero who would do something like that
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Battlepig: To be honest i never wanted Superman to be perfect. You should probably read John Byrne run from the 80's/90's.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Billy Batson

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.