Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked the issue.

Would you actually care to elaborate?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Good lord, what Bendis is doing to Lois is character assassination, plain and simple. The book is dull and slow, months after months and we find out that Mr Oz is a crazy SOB? WOW how illuminating. Jon's character is being taken to the brink of destruction and being blunt I dont think he may ever recover from what Bendis is going to inflict upon him. I'm done with the Superman book now.

Has anyone watched Reign of the Supermen? I liked the film but it was definitely weaker than DOS and doesn't really care much about the source material at all. Its ironic considering that DOS is considered the weaker of the 2 stories in comics. Still, this, Hell to Pay and Judas Contract bring this universe full circle. Honestly if it was the last film set in the shared continuity I'd say it was a fitting conclusion. I wish it were a three part movie, lot of stuff that got left out. Conner was great, Henshaw was great at the climax, Eradicator was superficially cool, Steel was just eh.

Speaking of Conner, this version made me realize how utterly overrated YJ really is. ROS Conner was leaps and bounds cooler and more accurate than YJ Conner who's really just an angsty version of Johns bland retconned Kon.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis is about the destroy DC comics. I hope they fire him

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

December 2018

-------------

* Superman #6 : 52,414

* Supergirl #25 : 21,564

* AOSS #5 : 20,965

* Justice League #13 : 66,852

* Justice League #14 : 61,940

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3555  Edited By entropy_aegis

So I was just wondering, how many books is Bendis writing/planning to write over the next few months?

He's got Superman, Young Justice, Action, Walmart Batman, Naomi(as co writer), Detective 1000 short story, is teasing Legion & Batman Beyond and has like what? 3 or 4 creator owned books? is this joker really planning on pushing a dozen books?

@mightykalel said:

December 2018

-------------

* Superman #6 : 52,414

* Supergirl #25 : 21,564

* AOSS #5 : 20,965

* Justice League #13 : 66,852

* Justice League #14 : 61,940

Holy Crap, he's completely gutted the Super Sons franchise and Superman in the next 4 -6 issues will be selling at Tomasi's numbers...when Tomasi was on his 45th issue. All he Bendis has done is buy Supergirl a few months.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: When Bendis worked at marvel he wrote a lot of books so I am not shocked he is writing nearly a dozen books. I feel like bendis has an issue of biting off more than he can chew.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3557  Edited By ZariusII

So apparently Tom King may have written the worst Superman story of the year in the latest Wal-Mart Giant issue...and perhaps an even worse Lois Lane story than what Bendis has managed.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@zariusii said:

So apparently Tom King may have written the worst Superman story of the year in the latest Wal-Mart Giant issue...and perhaps an even worse Lois Lane story than what Bendis has managed.

Having seen the first page of King's story on Twitter, I'm gobsmacked King was allowed to get away with it. Not only is it overly gruesome, but the Walmart comics are supposed to be for younger readers so I can't imagine parents will be happy if their kid picks up the Superman 100 page giant and sees the first page. Plus the Women in Refrigerators crowd will be after Tom too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know King is capable of writing crappy stories, what level of crappiness are we talking about here? How did he ruin Lois? Haven't read the story.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3561  Edited By ZariusII

@mightykalel

@thekinfing

Clark is waiting on a phone call from Lois on Earth...while he's waiting, he imagines several scenarios in which Lois is horrifically killed without him being around to save her. The first page is her being shot at point blank range by Lex Luthor. Other scenarios see her eaten by sharks, burned at the stake, dying in a plane crash, and being run over by a truck.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3562 morpheus_  Moderator

That sound almost hilarious, in a macabre way. I don't believe that's ruining either Lois or Clark, though. That's simply King having one of his usual, terrible ideas while trying to be pretentiously introspective.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3563  Edited By Quinlan58

@zariusii: That almost sounds like black comedy.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Don't know how to respond to that.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Doomsday Clock has been delayed again and Gary Frank is now sharing deleted scenes from it on Twitter

No Caption Provided

HonikerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hauhh... when he was talking to Jon, he canceled everything he said, the whole comic was mute.. and he's apparently, completely friendless.. talks kinda nasty... like really nasty...

I ahve the, latest one, I don't, I haven't finished it,

like.. the cuffs are SO stupid.. they're not for something? what are his, muscles for? whyyy? why? he doens't, kill, Anyone

and hehas a terrible prison

thank god you're huge Superman? you lifted that plane?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3567  Edited By ZariusII

Snippets of the Lois Lane story from that romance themed one-shot out this week

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/01/lois-sees-through-clarks-glasses-in-this-exclusive.html

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I still don't know if Bendis is aware that there is already a global organization in the DCU called Leviathan, or if he is simply making up a new organization also called Leviathan.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3570  Edited By ZariusII

Action Comics#1007

Lois tells her father she is in love with Superman and that she needs to let him know because it takes a great man to accept her flaws, and apparently Clark can't see that or some other nonsense

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3571 morpheus_  Moderator

Lois grows worse with each passing issue. Bendis might as well write her out of the book, she offers nothing but drama now.

I actually enjoyed the first part, with Jimmy in the Kobra rally. It was over the top, almost absurd - but Jimmy's perspective and behavior amidst that strangeness offered for hilarity. Can't say I was particularly taken by any of the other developments, even though this story seems more interesting than the one about the Red Cloud.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis seems to be competing with himself on how bad he can f**k up characters. As someone who considers Lois one of the best female characters in the DCU, I am terribly upset at her current situation. There is absolutely nothing to like in Bendis' version of Lois. She keeps getting worse. Liked the art and the part involving Jimmy.

Oh, and I hope Amanda Waller dies. I can't stand her...

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3573 morpheus_  Moderator

On a more positive note, the Superman/Lois story in today's Mysteries of Love in Space was sweet. And the cover got a good chuckle out of me.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3574  Edited By ZariusII

Yeah, the Mysteries of Love story is great. I'm just going to pretend the Rebirth and Bendis continuities are separate

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3575  Edited By Lvenger

So Lois just tells her father, a staunch patriot who works for the US Military/government and deeply distrusts Superman, that she's married to the person he suspects most of all and his grandson is half alien as well. Without consulting Clark as well *slow clap* Bravo Bendis you continue to make the supporting characters act like incompetent morons who don't consider the consequences of their actions. I recall Lois being a point of contention during the Rebirth period but Bendis is tarnishing Lois' character so bad every time he writes her. Now I'm even more worried about how Bendis plans to handle Amanda Waller being aware of Superman's secret identity.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Its Bendis.

I've already stopped bothering with Superman and now it looks like I may also stop bothering with Action. That Lois scene was so bad. Its not even about being a Lois or Clois fan, its about basic characterization. If Bendis cant use Lois correctly then why even use her? He doesn't have to at all.

Other than that barely anything happened, I've seen Kobra getting fodderized by Deadshot, Bane and Two-Face over the last year so watching Talia/Leviathan do it elicited absolutely no reaction. I was so over it by the time they became Two-Face's punching bags.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading that issue again, I'm not sure if Lois just told her father that Clark is Superman or if she just told her father that Jon is really Superman's son and Clark is raising him for some reason. Could go either way with Bendis.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3578 morpheus_  Moderator

@saren: Why on Earth were you reading it again? Were you trying to lobotomize yourself?

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see the Superman comics are going stronk.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@saren: I was trying to figure out the same thing. Their conversation was very confusing for me. First of all, she was telling him that her husband doesn't really get her because he doesn't see her imperfections. Second, she was literally revelaing Superman's secret identity or really making Clark a fool for raising Superman's kid with her. And third, and maybe worst of all, she was telling her father that she wants a better relationship with him or that she wants to drive him away(another part which confused me a lot).

Bendis really is making a number on his readers and to all of the Superman readers.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3581  Edited By ZariusII

@tdk_1997 At no point was Lois trying to drive her father away, she was suggesting Sam has insight Clark doesn't as a father, as in being able to see the faults and imperfections she has, which ties in with how overwhelmed she was visiting that planet with Jon over in Superman. People need to stop treating the books and motivations as separate.

She was also subtly comparing the situation she has with Sam to what Clark is facing with Jor-El. Lois makes it clear to Sam Clark loves her and she loves him, but she needs to get something else out of the family and that it can't go on the way it is, hence why she's bringing Sam into her confidence. It will depend on future issues to see whether or not she was in the right to do that.

This story makes more sense on multiple re-readings, but everyone is out to get Bendis so they misinterpret or condemn his intentions. Personally, I think the way he wrote it is pure nonsense, there are better ways to get this across, playing it vague is only confusing and irritating readers.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3582  Edited By Saren

@morpheus_: Well, it seemed straightforward the first time I read it, and then I saw someone claim Lois was actually telling her father she's been cuckolding Clark with Superman's child, and I thought "Surely even Bendis wouldn't have written that, right?".

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3583 morpheus_  Moderator

@saren: I thought the insinuation that Clark and Superman are one and the same was there, but I never quite thought of it in that way. It adds an unintentionally hilarious but somewhat disturbing spin to the conversation, especially from General Lane's perspective.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Ah, thanks for clarifying actually. The conversation on its own was handled suprisingly well in terms of the way the characters were talking but it just seemed rather out of character for Lois to speak like that and it was vague, as you mentioned. Bendis should shake it up a bit, break away from the way he is used to writing his books because his readers are definitely not satisfied.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Summary of recent Superman comic news:

Preview of Marv Wolfman's Man and Superman 100 page one shot. It may be a tad more expensive and not set in current continuity but for me the preview alone feels more like a Superman story than the entirety of Bendis' decompressed nonsense. At least I'll have one Superman comic to enjoy this year.

This article on DC's website about Superman #7 begins with "It's a great time for Superman fans" which I find absolutely laughable given the current division in the Superman fandom about Bendis' run and sales spiralling well below Tomasi & Gleason's run at the same issue.

Lastly Bendis posted a cover on Instagram of Rogol Zaar standing over a beaten Superman, Jon and Kara.

No Caption Provided

Yawn, more Bendis overhyping the importance of his OC. I'm getting more worried about the theories I'm seeing on forums like CBR that Rogol Zaar could be connected to Krypton or even be a member of the El family. That would ruin the Superman family even more than Bendis already has done.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#3586  Edited By Supermanthor

@lvenger: great time for Superman fans - lol ? Not sure he is serious or joking

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROFL, even DC's official bloggers are like "Lois, you probably should have stuck around and looked after Jon", I bet they privately feel like this whole story is ludicrous and that's them being subtle about expressing it.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Wish they had done something about Rogol Zaar's look. It just feels so unimaginative and dull. Like a discount Doomsday or something

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League #17 had a retcon with J'onn and Lex being friends for a brief period in their childhood. It was certainly interesting that Lex can't remember it anymore, I think it demonstrates how much he's changed and can't go back to what he was, but I'm scratching my head as to how this supposed to fit in with the story in DC's winter special where J'onn met Kal Kent while protecting the young Clark from King Kosmos. J'onn was clearly an adult in that story when Clark was a boy, and Clark and Lex should be roughly the same age, or separated by a few years at most. Or does that story take place in the pre-Flashpoint continuity?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3590  Edited By ZariusII

Doomsday Clock#9 now delayed until the 27th

Oh, and I just finished reading Wolfman's "Man and Superman"...nostalgic, deep, fun and wholesome, this kind of Superman is sorely missed

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So in YJ they had Wonder Girl beat Despero all on her own and so easily? ...ok.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3592  Edited By dondave

@saren said:

Justice League #17 had a retcon with J'onn and Lex being friends for a brief period in their childhood. It was certainly interesting that Lex can't remember it anymore, I think it demonstrates how much he's changed and can't go back to what he was, but I'm scratching my head as to how this supposed to fit in with the story in DC's winter special where J'onn met Kal Kent while protecting the young Clark from King Kosmos. J'onn was clearly an adult in that story when Clark was a boy, and Clark and Lex should be roughly the same age, or separated by a few years at most. Or does that story take place in the pre-Flashpoint continuity?

It's mention when Lionel is first talking to J'onn, that they used Time Travel to capture him. Presumably the Martians had already been wiped out in the present, so they had to go back in time to find one to experiment on.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@magian: one word, dude: BENDIS.

Almost a year ago, there were ads “Bendis is coming”. Honestly, those were warnings lmao.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@magian: one word, dude: BENDIS.

Almost a year ago, there were ads “Bendis is coming”. Honestly, those were warnings lmao.

lol True. I don't know why I was so surprised by this.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: Yooo man, weren't you aware that Wonder Girl is the next big-bigpowerhouse of DC lol? Everyone looks with fear at her, even the mighty Despero.

Lol, but now on a more serious note, I am not surprised that Bendis is pulling off stunts like that tbh. However, the second issue was far more enjoyable than the first one even though Jinny Hex and the Teen Green Lantern still have no character at all.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@magian: Yooo man, weren't you aware that Wonder Girl is the next big-bigpowerhouse of DC lol? Everyone looks with fear at her, even the mighty Despero.

Ohh, I certainly am aware of it now. Can't wait to see who's next for for. Darkseid, be afraid. Be very afraid lol

@tdk_1997 said:

@magian:

Lol, but now on a more serious note, I am not surprised that Bendis is pulling off stunts like that tbh. However, the second issue was far more enjoyable than the first one even though Jinny Hex and the Teen Green Lantern still have no character at all.

Was thinking the same thing. I guess later arcs of the book will be about them.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: Hahahah, if he really introduces Darkseid into one of his story arcs for any of the books he is writing and gets him defeated as he did with Despero...man, I would love so hard.

I do believe he will do that but for the moment being, they are just rather pointless characters. They are not helping the plot move forward, so the reason for them being there is just being at the right place at the right time and suddenly Cassie and Tim will trust them and will invite them to the team.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
    deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC's Transcendents are being turning into Heralds level characters, This is so sad.. =/
    But I hope this will not happens with Darkseid.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My copy of Man and Superman finally arrived, now I just have to find the time to read the entire thing. After all the good things I've heard about it, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I'd read almost anybody over Bendis right now and Wolfman is a proven vet on writing Superman.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman#8 Preview

Jon's idea of Jor-El being "crazy" is an exaggeration as all Jor does is lack empathy and can't talk to Jon like a normal person or interact with him in a grandfatherly manner. He also has an existential crisis going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.