Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

#2101 Posted by entropy_aegis (19618 posts) - - Show Bio

Probabaly from the 38 page special or Jurgen's Action 1000 story. I dont see any place for Hank in the next 3 issues.

#2102 Posted by ZariusII (3830 posts) - - Show Bio
#2103 Posted by Charan_ (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Did Bendis say anything about Clark's marriage? He isn't going to discard it, is he? I would not be worried if it wasn't Bendis we are talking about here.

#2104 Posted by entropy_aegis (19618 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Why? WHY? I wanted him on Robin dammit.

@charan_: He says that fans of the marriage and family should be worried.

I fully expect a separation and then ignorance of Jon.

#2105 Posted by Charan_ (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I hope he is joking, I seriously do. I will drop all the Superman books if anything bad happens to Super family. WTF....

#2106 Edited by ZariusII (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois and Clark are still together in Doomsday Clock, and that's set a year later, so if there is drama, the two will either have sorted it out or will be in the midst of reconciling by the time we catch up to that story's timeline

#2107 Edited by entropy_aegis (19618 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: SM/WW shippers thought the same thing when DS War was being published. "Oh heh this is happening before DC You, DC said it so". 9-10 months later DC reversed the timeline of events lol.

All I'm saying is that dont put too much faith in Johns vanity project that is still 1.5 years away from its conclusion.

And this is Bendis we're talking about B E N D I S

#2108 Edited by Morpheus_ (32105 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

Lois and Clark are still together in Doomsday Clock, and that's set a year later, so if there is drama, the two will either have sorted it out or will be in the midst of reconciling by the time we catch up that story's timeline

I doubt Bendis writes with Doomsday Clock in mind. Not really his style.

#2109 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

As if I didn't have enough reasons to dread Bendis writing Superman already. I hope Bendis is just joking because if he's not, tearing apart the Super Family will be a heavily unpopular move that not even Bendis' fanboys will be able to defend. I shouldn't be surprised though, Bendis doesn't seem to like writing happy families. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones had marital difficulties in his run and Miles' parents had some spousal problems apparently. So it doesn't come as much of a surprise that Bendis is willing to throw a spanner in the works of Clark and Lois' marriage.

#2110 Posted by ZariusII (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the full transcript of what Bendis said

So many people are worried about the state of their marriage and the state of their family. You should be. What they are attempting to do is so enormous and it is so delicate, and so precious, and there is so much pressure on them coming from so many different directions. You absolutely should be scared for that delicate, beautiful relationship.

#2111 Posted by Morpheus_ (32105 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis, master of reassurance.

#2112 Posted by Charan_ (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

That doesn't sound as bad as I imagined. Bendis might be planning to add struggles to the Kent family without separating them. There are people out there who believe their family isn't interesting without arguments or them fighting occasionally. So Bendis will not be without supporters if he decides to do that.

#2113 Edited by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio
#2114 Posted by Morpheus_ (32105 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Preview states the artwork is by Conrad, but that is, rather glaringly, Booth's art.

I liked it, but it gave away almost too much.

#2115 Edited by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue seems to be action packed, so much happened in those preview pages. I hope old man Zod vs Superman fight will live up to my expectations.

#2116 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: It's pretty hard for artwork that distinctive to be anyone else's but Booth's lol. Also did you see how many splash pages there are in that preview? I hope there's more panel layouts on the pages after the preview.

#2117 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

January sales figures

Superman 38 - 47,261

Superman 39 - 44,402

Action Comics 995 - 41,987

Action Comics 996 - 41,331

Super Sons 12 - 35,608

Supergirl 17 - 26,466

New Super-Man 19 - 10,069

#2118 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightykalel: That's some solid figures, probably from the Super Sons of Tomorrow event but it's been a while since Superman comics got close to 50,000 after being solidly into a series run. Maybe the good word of mouth for Superman #39 bumped sales up too?

#2119 Posted by entropy_aegis (19618 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan and GLC #38 preview.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/hal-jordan-and-the-glc-38/

#2120 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I was afraid of Action going below 40k, it didn't happen thanks to the readers. We'd see if the acclaim SM 39 received could bump the sales for later issues once February sales figures are released.

Tomasi, Gleason and Jurgens have brought consistency to Superman titles as far as sales are concerned. While I consider the sales pretty good, I want both Superman titles to consistently sell at least above 50k range. I mean Superman is the most popular fictional character in the world and it is sad he isn't selling close to Batman if not better. Supes doesn't get the push he needs, it's like DC do not know what to do with him.

#2121 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

Foara's contempt towards Lanterns makes me want to see her getting stomped. Hal and Kyle, show her what GLs are capable of with their rings.

#2122 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightykalel: Well Bendis will keep the sales up for over 50K for a while but comics like Slott's Amazing Spider-Man and Tom King's Batman sell above 50K and they're not considered good by many Batman and Spider-Man fans. I'd rather have a mid selling well written Superman title than a best selling mediocre one.

#2123 Edited by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Most rebirth Superman stories have been really good and sold well. Stories like that should reach more people than it did. If they didn't and the performance went below a certain range, there would be major shake ups (like new52) and the franchise could get worse. That's why I think DC should not only produce good stories like they have been doing for the past 2 years, but also aim to increase its reach a little more. Flash title outsold both Superman books in January, it has happened before too. I am really happy that the Flash is selling very well, it is just that I would like to see Superman(or Action) be the second best selling solo title from DC.

#2124 Posted by ZariusII (3830 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#2125 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightykalel: It is a shame that after the first arcs, Superman sales went down to below 50K. They did have good trade sales though I believe so that's another way they can reach people. But Superman sales now are consistently better than they were in the New 52 if you check Charan's post. Still, you're right that DC should aim to promote more of their characters to make them sell better, especially Superman. Flash isn't the only character that shouldn't be outselling him. But because of the over saturation of Bat comics, Marvel's order placements and other factors, Superman has slipped down the list in sales. They're steady and consistent but rarely break top 20, let alone 10 unless an event or something special is happening.

#2126 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#2127 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (9781 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#2128 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (5831 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Is he really getting back in his "original" outfit ? Man, that's awesome.

#2129 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest: Yep it was confirmed that Superman would be getting the trunks back in Action Comics #1000.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#2130 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (5831 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Cool, can't wait to read the issue. I've always liked him in that outfit better than the current one.

#2131 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

"'Rebirth,' Superman’s greatest enemy became his most unexpected ally. Is Lex finally on the heroic path, or is he still hiding his true colors?," reads a DC announcement. "When he finds himself in an adventure where Superman could be destroyed, what will he do? Save the Man of Steel, or witness his demise at the hands of an unimaginable enemy?"

Jurgens writing and Conrad drawing, I am sure this unimaginable enemy is Hank Henshaw.

#2132 Posted by Charan_ (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

AC 997 was solid and enjoyable. There is a major complaint from me though. I wanted to see a badass fight with Zod, but didn't get it. Only one more issue left in this arc, when am I going to see Supes fighting Zod? sigh....

#2133 Posted by ZariusII (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the issue...the cliffhanger with Lois, Sam and Jon was shocking..and poor Skeets.

#2134 Posted by Eto (4314 posts) - - Show Bio
#2135 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Lex would be killed off. Bendis would have planned a lot to do with him.

#2136 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder if Bendis will deal with Zod and his family ruling over Jakuul or if that will be resolved in the current Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps arc. Speaking of which, today's issue was solid, Hal summoning his ring through Eradicator's head was badass.

#2137 Posted by Eto (4314 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn’t say he’d be killed off, but I’d be friggin okay with it. Reason is shown in post #2134 @mightykalel:

#2138 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto: I was responding to the rumor about Lex, didn't say you said he'd be killed off.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
#2139 Posted by MasterSkywalker (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Zod seems to be getting a huge focus along with Ursa and his son. A welcome change since we rarely see kryptonians outside of Superman fight GLs.

#2140 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterskywalker: I would have thought Zod would get a bigger push in the post Man of Steel period but it's nice that Zod is expanding his ambitions beyond the Superman comics. It could work as a good status quo to have Zod fighting various cosmic DC heroes and the Zod family is a twisted parallel on the Super Family too.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
#2141 Posted by MasterSkywalker (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@masterskywalker: I would have thought Zod would get a bigger push in the post Man of Steel period but it's nice that Zod is expanding his ambitions beyond the Superman comics. It could work as a good status quo to have Zod fighting various cosmic DC heroes and the Zod family is a twisted parallel on the Super Family too.

That could be a good dynamic. Zod cared a lot about his son in Pre FP right?

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
#2142 Edited by BeautifulTemptress (506 posts) - - Show Bio
#2143 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

Trinity #18 preview

http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-trinity-18/

#2144 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

That could be a good dynamic. Zod cared a lot about his son in Pre FP right?

Nope quite the opposite. He mistreated Chris and used him as a pawn against Superman. Zod caring about his son is purely a Post Flashpoint thing.

#2145 Edited by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

ComiXology Bestseller List

1. Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt #1

2. Invincible #144

3. Detective Comics #974

4. Darth Vader #11

5. Action Comics #997

6. The Flash #40

7. Injustice 2 #45

8. Titans #20

9. Avengers #680

10. Wonder Woman #40

#2146 Posted by ZariusII (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

Bleeding Cool Bestseller List

Dark Knights Rising The Wild Hunt #1

Detective Comics #974

Action Comics #997

Avengers #680

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #42

Marvel Two in One #3

Flash #40

Captain America #698

Darth Vader #11

Old Man Hawkeye #2

#2147 Posted by Zandalf (410 posts) - - Show Bio

When there is action the superman titles tend to sell better. Someone should have told this to Tomasi and gleason

#2148 Posted by MightyKalEl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@zandalf: The Superman title despite not having much action in it sells better than Action Comics. AC is in 41k range now whereas Superman's lowest is around 44k. That said, I wouldn't mind a bit more action in Superman.

#2149 Posted by Zandalf (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightykalel: i know, i was just noticing how having a little action on a superhero comic might easily bump the sales. Even AC that usually sell less than the Superman title now is in the top 5, just thanks to a possible fight between Supes and Zod. Sometimes i think it is just so easy giving people what they want, but they simply won't get it most of the times.

Regarding the Superman title i fear that we won't get a Superman who is remotely powerful or at least useful until Tomasi and Gleason are on board but luckily (at least for me) this is going to change soon.

#2150 Posted by Lvenger (34357 posts) - - Show Bio

@zandalf: One of the best selling Superman comics in recent months was a story about Superman taking kids from a cancer ward to the Justice League Watchtower. So your argument is invalidated. The New 52 Superman comics had plenty of action but their sales dropped like a stone after the quality and direction got worse. Action doesn't sell comics, quality writing does. Also, Bendis is far worse at writing power levels than most modern writers so you won't get a more powerful Superman from Bendis. If anything you'll see an even more inconsistent one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.