Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Superman has one of those fanbases that's just too diverse for its own good. No matter what changes you make or who you cater to, you'll always have a sizable population that's dissatisfied.

Makes it all the more amazing how united everyone seems to be on their revulsion at Superman's new direction.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@reactor said:

Superman has one of those fanbases that's just too diverse for its own good. No matter what changes you make or who you cater to, you'll always have a sizable population that's dissatisfied.

Makes it all the more amazing how united everyone seems to be on their revulsion at Superman's new direction.

It's not nearly that unified. Here, on Comic Vine? Sure. Somewhere like the CBR forums? I'm actually shocked at how many people are OK with Bendis coming on, although I'm not sure if that is because they think he can write a good run or because they want Tomasi, Gleason and Jurgens gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Jimenez's work and hate to say this - Superman in that picture looks ridiculous.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@orangebat: That place is the last fortress of New 52 lovers, many of whom have been driven away from here. They'll be pissed off with in the first few issues when they realize New 52 isn't returning.

Certain others dont even care whether or not they'll enjoy what's being written. They just think having Bendis is some sort of achievement or that it means DC values Superman. Its like us being pleased at Geoff Johns or Garth Ennis writing Batman because it will get headlines. I haven't seen a single person explain why Bendis given his track record for the last decade is a good fit. The opposite seems to be true even there. Only pure Bendis fans are pleased and they have a right to be. The others will have their bubbles burst soon enough.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Gleason will be drawing Action. What a waste of his drawnings and also his skills as a writer cause he's not getting a writing credit.

I was hoping he would return to Damian but guess not.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Well, that is going to be one polarising run. That's for sure.

So Gleason stays, huh? Nice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How good is Bendis as a team player? I mean Gleason along with Tomasi gave us a phenomenal Superman run and if he decided to advise Bendis on how to write Super-Family, would Bendis give ear to it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom King said he knows what Tomasi is going to do after finishing his Superman run, and it's perfect according to King. The fact that he said this as a response to a fan who said he loved Tomasi's Superman makes me think if Tomasi is doing a not-yet-revealed Super book. Maybe a Batman/Superman book? Or Superman/Superboy? Or Young Justice (involving Jon)? Any of these is possible given Tomasi's skills at writing father/son dynamic and kids.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've just dropped the main Batman title, as I'm bored with the continual one or two shots and no real ongoing storyline and now it seems the two Superman books are going down the pan! Not a good situation when your two favourite DC characters are Batman and Superman! I can see a defection to the Flash title as my main DC bi weekly. That remains an interesting book.

Re Bendis...... I fully understand all the concerns on here and I wouldn't choose him myself as the writer, but I can't say I hate him because he wrote my favourite Daredevil run of all time (even slightly ahead of Miller's run)....... how much of my love for those books is the artistry of Maleev I couldn't say, but Bendis hasn't ALWAYS been bad. I also like Miles Morales, another Bendis creation...go figure.

...but Superman needs a certain sort of writer and I am shocked they've gone for him to take on both Superman books on Superman's anniversary. Like I said on another post, DC don't seem to treat Superman's big anniversaries with enough respect.........

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed95594e07
    deactivated-62aed95594e07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/status/959430803234197504

There would be a special 38 pager Superman issue by Tomasi/Gleason and Action Comics issue by Dan Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason after "Boyzarro" and "Booster Shot" arcs are finished.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was willing to give Bendis a chance but allowing him to rewrite Superman's origin is something I cant and wont tolerate. It gives him carte blanche to frick up everything.

Besides I've had enough of Superman's origins already.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2062  Edited By Magian

@entropy_aegis said:

Won't definitely disagree with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ugh, i'm disgusted.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleeding Cool has covers for Superman and Hal Jordan.

The Bizarro arc looks like it will end the book on an extremely high note.

As for Hal, looks like Morpheus was right. Its gonna take an army of corpsmen to take on Zod.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2065  Edited By JakeFuryV2

@entropy_aegis said:

I was willing to give Bendis a chance but allowing him to rewrite Superman's origin is something I cant and wont tolerate. It gives him carte blanche to frick up everything.

Didn't they just do Superman Reborn, to clear up the New 52/Rebirth stuff?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its Bendis and its Superman. A new origin is to put it crudely the logical outcome of intercourse between these two. DC cant prevent themselves from having every hot shot creator they put on Superman from doing their own spin on his origins.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@entropy_aegis: I'm dreading what Bendis will change about Superman's origin most of all. Superman has one of the most timeless origins a fictional character can get and it seems like Bendis will basically make the 'Krypton was destroyed' plot from Superman: Earth One canon.

I agree the Bizarro arc looks like a high note for the Tomasi/Gleason team to go out on. Looks like a fun crazy Superman story. Also Tomasi has said there'll be 2 38 page one shot specials written by him and Jurgens, presumably we'll see them in the May solicits.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2068 morpheus_  Moderator

The Hal Jordan & the GLC cover is hilarious. You have almost 15 Lanterns (including all four from sector 2814) against Zod.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I cant even remember the name of that villain from EO. Tyrell? Tyrus? Typhon? I'm not kidding. Inserting a villain to the hero's origin is about the cheapest way of making a villain important.

I saw the tweet. Probably clean up for Bendis.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Um Bleeding Cool front page lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Tyrell is indeed the villain who destroyed Krypton. Hated the insertion of an intentional destruction of Krypton, it was cheap and lazy.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Atleast that was an alternate universe.

I hope there is atleast one other spin off book.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m curious to see what Bendis does but I hate that the trunks are back his reborn costume was so great.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis: I'm dreading what Bendis will change about Superman's origin most of all. Superman has one of the most timeless origins a fictional character can get and it seems like Bendis will basically make the 'Krypton was destroyed' plot from Superman: Earth One canon.

I totally agree with you - looking on the bright side however, this is DC comics and it won't be too long before the next reboot. We've had New 52, we've had Rebirth.... what are the odds on something like "DC - Genesis -" in about 2020......

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I totally agree with you - looking on the bright side however, this is DC comics and it won't be too long before the next reboot. We've had New 52, we've had Rebirth.... what are the odds on something like "DC - Genesis -" in about 2020......

Think you might have stumbled onto the next DC softboot name Bezz. Sounds like something they'd call the next big change.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone here is on Twitter and has communicated with Tomasi in the past can they ask him what the intermezzo thing with adult Damian was in Super Sons? It really stands out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-preview-jon-witnesses-the-end-of-a-world-in-superman-40/

Superman #40 Preview

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this takes place after Booster Shot

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That preview was better than most of Robinson’s previous Superman run. He doesn’t write a half bad Jon either. I know the Wonder Woman fans have been disappointed with Robinson so far but maybe he’s more comfortable writing Superman than Wonder Woman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman fans can never be satisfied, it's nigh impossible. Robinson's Wonder Woman is going to face Darkseid in a one on one fight. He was building up to that and I believe it would be one of Diana's greatest battle since 2011. That being said, I don't like Darkseid appearing in a WW book.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Just finished Superman #39.

Man, that was really awe-inspiring, touching story. Seriously, well done!

As for Action Comics #996, it looks like Zod (or rather his son) will have a bigger play in the story.

Do you think a Booster Gold by Jurgens will spin out of this story?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, correct me if I’m wrong,

But we’ve got

4 issues left from Tomasi and Gleason (#42 to #45) + a special issue = 5 issues left?

Ditto for Jurgens.

In total, that’d be 10 issues.

Then the apocalypse starts.

Sigh. Great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have got 4 regular issues of Superman [42-45] by Tomasi/Gleason and 3 regular issues of Action Comics [997-999] by Dan Jurgens. Then two special issues (38 page) of both titles by the current creative teams.

Then.......Bendis happens.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2086  Edited By Eto

@charan_: no, you forgot #1000, albeit Jurgens won’t Be the only one contributing to the book. Technically, Bendis happens at #1000 as well, since he said that in that story the seeds will be planted for furniture stories.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.cbr.com/superman-lex-luthor-donald-trump/

Heh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Action Comics 1000 isn't Jurgens' issue, that's why I didn't count it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman #40 was similar to a recent arc in GL and it was an okay issue. Superman and Jon flying through space was a cool scene. Mahnke is an amazing artist, but the way he draws Jon's face in some panels is terrible. I have a feeling that our boy Supes would get a planetary feat in the next issue. The planet explodes right after it's native people are evacuated and Clark gets caught in the middle of it..!!! Robinson gave Clark a planetary durability feat in "War of Supermen", I can see the scenario I described above happening. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
    deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why the hell does superman needs a gas mask to wade through space?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack: It's for communication purposes, not a breathing apparatus.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charan_: I saw a panel online. Nothing on that apparatus encompasses or connects to their ears. But it wouldn't be the first time there'd been presented inconsistencies with Superman and space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: Maybe it doesn't have to connect to their ears, Kryptonian tech. Clark said what he had on his face was a transmitter device, and it allowed them to communicate while in space. It was also a translator.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This issue was not great at all. 2/5

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty solid issue, thought Robinson would mess this up due to his Wonder Woman run but I guess he's more comfortable writing Supes than he is with Diana. Nice to see Jon excited about his Kryptonian heritage and Superman refusing to leave the aliens to die on their planet was spot on. I'll miss these Superman and son adventures after Bendis takes over.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...so is there a general boycott of Bendis then? I will watch sales of Superman and AC with interest! I haven't seen such strength of feeling on CV, since reading the anti Waid posts over on the Daredevil forum!!

off topic.....

, is it me, or is something up with the "Top Posters" roster today? I was sure the top poster didn't have only 626 posts!! Over 10,000 more like!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/06/super-sons-13-review-charming-fun-full-mommy-issues/

Jon develops crush on a girl!!! Can't wait to see Lois' reaction to her son's little affair.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be5cEZ1AC7c/

Cyborg Superman?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza1969: Even if every current poster on the Superman boards boycotts Bendis' books, it won't make much difference. Unlike with Waid's Daredevil, Bendis has a legion of hardcore fans who will pick up his Superman books which will boost sales massively on top of regular Superman readers who are fine with Bendis or willing to give him a chance initially.

Interesting to see Hank again so soon, wonder if he'll be in the Booster Shot story or the Action Comics #999 one?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Booster Shot only has two more issues left and it is dealing with Zod, his son and Supes and Booster's escape from Zod planet. I don't see where Hank fits in unless a plot twist occurs. Maybe it is from issue 999 or the 38 page special issue with which Jurgens wraps up his run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.