Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@kenshima15:

I suspect Chris has been retconned by Reborn so his appearance Pre New 52 were drastically changed. Basically Lor-Zod is a totally different character from Pre 52 Chris. I'm planning to ask Jurgens on Twitter about whether Chris is still canon though.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

@kenshima15:

I suspect Chris has been retconned by Reborn so his appearance Pre New 52 were drastically changed. Basically Lor-Zod is a totally different character from Pre 52 Chris. I'm planning to ask Jurgens on Twitter about whether Chris is still canon though.

If so, does that mean all the adventures Superman had with Chris Pre flashpoint never happened? I thought reborn was supposed to establish a merger of sorts between pre and N52 Superman?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@kenshima15:

If so, does that mean all the adventures Superman had with Chris Pre flashpoint never happened? I thought reborn was supposed to establish a merger of sorts between pre and N52 Superman?

Basically yes. Lor-Zod in Action Comics today looks like a totally different character from Pre Flashpoint Chris. Reborn did merge Pre Flashpoint and New 52 Superman together but it looks like the Pre Flashpoint history goes up to pre Infinite Crisis period. After that the New 52 history appears to cut in since Superman was wearing the New 52 suit when Lois told him she was pregnant with Jon.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Zod was beast, really looking forward to them revisiting their mistakes from the post Infinite Crisis era and rectifying them. Its possible that Lor-Zod may have been brainwashed by Zod. Still disappointed that Hank got screwed but I somehow get the impression that Jurgens/Superman editorial really wanted to get Zod away from the Suicide Squad and that's why they folded Zod in to Revenge. They also needed to do in such a triumphant manner that made his return difficult. They've certainly succeeded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know what to say, this was so frickin awesome. Zod is a madman. I love Hanks "Damn You All!".

emmanuelalake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1156  Edited By emmanuelalake

Superman's own is cool

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1157  Edited By Rubear

@entropy_aegis said:

Its possible that Lor-Zod may have been brainwashed by Zod.

I don't think so. It's more like that he just grew in Phantom Zone together with mother.
    And quiet possibly that in new timeline he never was outside Zone before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

984 surpassed all my expectations

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Superman was good in this issue, and leaving Hank in the Phantom Zone was a great moment.
    • Zod was great here, and I must apologize to Jurgens for calling his Zod an idiot in the previous issue because now locking Hank in the PZ makes sense for his plans. Also the new set-up for him opens a lot of story possibilities for him and to contrast Supes.
    • Glad the spoiler wasn't completely true.
    • I literally danced in glee when Lor-Zod was mentioned. Then I realized his time as Superman's adoptive son apparently didn't happen in this continuity, and I got less excited, but still, great one Jurgens and Zircher.
    • Hank's fate was pathetic, but it pretty much guarantees his next appearence will be epic.
    • Mongul's fate was also pathetic, and I'm pretty sure we won't actually see a resolution for his last words.
    • Metallo was just here to fill space.

Overall I really liked this issue. After the previous one and the spoiler I was prepared to drop Action again, but this has convinced me to keep buying.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn...Chris is a villain now :(

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

To be honest I expected way more from this conclusion. Yes, Zod was a beast and Superman leaving Henshaw in the Phantom Zone was definitely surprising, but overall the issue was weak imo. Throughout the whole storyline Metallo and Blanque didn't do a thing almost and were just there, the Super-team did something for an issue and after that they were just standing there for a cameo and last but not least - I wanted way more from Henshaw.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a pretty solid arc but I just wanted a different conclusion to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too bad that Last Son of Krypton (probably) isn't in continuity anymore. Jon could have had a new super-powered brother.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm not mistaken didn't N52 superman throw new Warworld into the PZ during Superman/Batman? I guess Mongul Sr. wouldn't know about that but still it would have been a cool reference

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too bad that Last Son of Krypton (probably) isn't in continuity anymore. Jon could have had a new super-powered brother.

You never know, that could still happen one day.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suspect Kon-El/Conner aka the former Superboy will be playing that role if/when he comes back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will Hank come back.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @scott_summers52 said:

I suspect Kon-El/Conner aka the former Superboy will be playing that role if/when he comes back.

If he does return, I wonder if they'll give Conner a new superhero name to avoid confusion with the other Superboy in the DCU.

Then again, both Wally and Barry are going by the Flash right now, and DC has no problem with that.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1168  Edited By Lvenger
    @lvenger said:
    @scott_summers52 said:

If he does return, I wonder if they'll give Conner a new superhero name to avoid confusion with the other Superboy in the DCU.

Then again, both Wally and Barry are going by the Flash right now, and DC has no problem with that.

They will have to, Jon's being established as the new placeholder of the Superboy name now. Conner coming back as Superboy might be considered taking away from Jon's uniqueness. I think the reason why Wally and Barry are both going by the Flash moniker is because both were considered fan favourite Flashes at some point but also there's not many other names for Wally to adopt. Whereas there are titles Conner could switch to instead. CBR has a nice thread about what codenmame Conner should be called if he comes back.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word on whether the guy wearing the Wonder Woman clothes is Jon or Superman and Wonder Woman's son? He seems to be talking to both Clark and Diana in that preview.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1172  Edited By Rubear

@lvenger said:

Any word on whether the guy wearing the Wonder Woman clothes is Jon or Superman and Wonder Woman's son? He seems to be talking to both Clark and Diana in that preview.

Well, he certainly is as big as Clark. And he is wearing his cloak.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
    @lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

Oh I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing that out for me. Yep that confirms it, he's Superman and Wonder Woman's son. That's gonna annoy the Clois shippers to say the least.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I dont see a future Bat,I dont see Superman's actual potential replacement.

What I see is another shit Hitch arc in a long line of shit arcs and SM/WW shippers pretending that this shit is some high quality gold, assuming ofcourse this generic mofo turns out to be Diana and Clark's kid, if not then even they'll stop caring.

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Boy has a lasso, sword and bracelets of Wonder Woman. Batarang of Batman and cape of Superman. Don't even know what to think.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1176  Edited By Rubear

@lvenger said:
    @rubear said:
    @lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

Oh I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing that out for me. Yep that confirms it, he's Superman and Wonder Woman's son. That's gonna annoy the Clois shippers to say the least.

Also, is it me or their Flash has a certain resemblance with Jessica?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1177  Edited By ZariusII

@lvenger I doubt this story will have sizemic repercussions after it ends, Hitch is leaving the title afterward and Barry is involved presently with drama involving Iris and was shown an entirely different future with his and Iris' kids in his own comic, plus he has different powers [negative speed force] presently, so this is set before then and it's probably going to close off the teasing Hitch has done with him and Jess.

I just wish they'd cut out continuously trying to turn Diana into a homewrecker, Donna can't even escape this in Titans.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Boy has a lasso, sword and bracelets of Wonder Woman. Batarang of Batman and cape of Superman.
    Don't even know what to think.

- Is she with you?
    - I thought she was with you!
    - Oh, boys... you are with me. (c) Lol.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read that Superman preview. I think I'll just skip this one until the Sinestro arc.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now he's got a villain! Isn't that exciting? :D

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow, Cyborg can procreate. Im amaze.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Guys, I am a bit behind the times on Superman, as working away from home these days I don't get much time to visit comic book shops but I picked up the HC Vol1 of Action Comics last week and loved it!! These are the earlier issues of AC Rebirth and I recall that when they came out they didn't get praised that much, but I very much enjoyed the book. Superman v Doomsday for what seems like half of the story! Loved seeing Superman use intelligence, strategy and experience fighting DD.

One q though always bugs me. Why doesn't he just throw DD into space?!

Sorry, back to your current topic now, as an older experienced Superman reader (not far off 50 now, gulp) I thought I'd just share however.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

With each issue I become more and more disappointed by Hitch's Justice League. It's one of the most boring runs I have ever read. Each story arc feels the same and nothing major happens.

These future kids will have no value at all. Things will be resolved in four issues and after a few months even DC will forget they actually existed. This is why I dropped this book.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, I am a bit behind the times on Superman, as working away from home these days I don't get much time to visit comic book shops but I picked up the HC Vol1 of Action Comics last week and loved it!! These are the earlier issues of AC Rebirth and I recall that when they came out they didn't get praised that much, but I very much enjoyed the book. Superman v Doomsday for what seems like half of the story! Loved seeing Superman use intelligence, strategy and experience fighting DD.

Sorry, back to your current topic now, as an older experienced Superman reader (not far off 50 now, gulp) I thought I'd just share however.

He tried to do that, in fact it was Clark's first strategy. But Doomsday was hard to be taken off the planet.

If you are asking why didn't he throw him into space instead of throwing him to his Himalayan fortress, I think Clark thought it was way safer to put him in the phantom zone than to BFR him to space. The phantom zone projector was inside his mountain fortress.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Also, is it me or their Flash has a certain resemblance with Jessica?

Their Flash is gonna be Barry and Jessica's daughter, I am almost sure about that. Hitch has been building Jessica-Barry relationship since the beginning of his JL rebirth run. But we know who Barry loves. I am not worried in the least about a Clark - Diana relationship just based on this. That isn't going to happen. At the end of the story, either they will be revealed as impostors or what caused that apocalyptic future would be averted by the league.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @scott_summers52 said:
    @lvenger said:
    @scott_summers52 said:

They will have to, Jon's being established as the new placeholder of the Superboy name now. Conner coming back as Superboy might be considered taking away from Jon's uniqueness. I think the reason why Wally and Barry are both going by the Flash moniker is because both were considered fan favourite Flashes at some point but also there's not many other names for Wally to adopt. Whereas there are titles Conner could switch to instead. CBR has a nice thread about what codenmame Conner should be called if he comes back.

To be fair, I would also imagine it's because Wally was The Flash after Barry. So, he may as well take the name he already had and most people would consider he earned. I would also argue that Impulse should probably not become The Flash (Maybe Mercury, after his mentor, but that's another story). Scion is the only name I think sounds a good fit for him though. Or Sentinel.

@zariusii said:

@lvenger I doubt this story will have sizemic repercussions after it ends, Hitch is leaving the title afterward and Barry is involved presently with drama involving Iris and was shown an entirely different future with his and Iris' kids in his own comic, plus he has different powers [negative speed force] presently, so this is set before then and it's probably going to close off the teasing Hitch has done with him and Jess.

I just wish they'd cut out continuously trying to turn Diana into a homewrecker, Donna can't even escape this in Titans.

Where is this coming from?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1188  Edited By Lvenger

@bezza1969: Hey man, to answer your question, Superman did try to blitz Doomsday into orbit at one point but Doomsday was able to resist and overpower Superman's attempt at BFRing him. It wasn't for lack of trying that DD wasn't thrown into space by Clark. Much like how Hulk could resist being BFRed by Clark.

@scouterv said:

To be fair, I would also imagine it's because Wally was The Flash after Barry. So, he may as well take the name he already had and most people would consider he earned. I would also argue that Impulse should probably not become The Flash (Maybe Mercury, after his mentor, but that's another story). Scion is the only name I think sounds a good fit for him though. Or Sentinel.

Yeah that would be the other reason I bet, Wally was the Flash for several decades as well. It would be hard to think of another name for Wally to use instead of Flash though Mercury is a good choice. Funnily enough Scion and Sentinel are on the CBR thread I mentioned. They're good names for Conner to adopt.

Sounds like he's running damage control tbh, he was sympathetic to the SM/WW romance in his JLA run. Plus it's hard not to conclude the guy wearing Superman's cape and Wonder Woman's gear isn't their alternate future son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I am not jumping into any conclusions now. I liked the Timeless arc, looking forward to this one.

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Hitch is more sympathetic to Clois than to smww. In JLA Superman and Wonder Woman is more friends than lovers. Superman showed concern, which he showed similarly to Lois in Superman Unchained. I saw several times that friends showed the same concern for each other. Not only between guys, but between a woman and a man too. In addition, the batarang on the cape hints at Batman. In Rebirth Wonder Woman always wears a round clasp.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1192  Edited By Bezza1969

@mightykalel said:
    @bezza1969 said:

He tried to do that, in fact it was Clark's first strategy. But Doomsday was hard to be taken off the planet.

If you are asking why didn't he throw him into space instead of throwing him to his Himalayan fortress, I think Clark thought it was way safer to put him in the phantom zone than to BFR him to space. The phantom zone projector was inside his mountain fortress.

You're right of course, but I was thinking on that occasion where he used DDs momentum to chuck him half way around the world, couldn't he have chucked him into space? Trying to fly Doomsday to space is clearly not going to work, another reason why I don't think Superman would find it easy to BFR the Hulk if they fought. But that's another subject for another day

Going back to Doomsday, what did people think of his power levels? More like classic original Jurgens era Doomsday, rather than the New 52 one which was ripped in half by Supes? People sometimes compare Doomsday to the Hulk, but the punishment he soaked up from an all out Superman (and Wonder Woman) was ridiculous. I don't think a Hulk punched 4,000 times by Superman would be looking quite as fresh!!!!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@bezza1969: Hey man, to answer your question, Superman did try to blitz Doomsday into orbit at one point but Doomsday was able to resist and overpower Superman's attempt at BFRing him. It wasn't for lack of trying that DD wasn't thrown into space by Clark. Much like how Hulk could resist being BFRed by Clark.

@scouterv said:

Yeah that would be the other reason I bet, Wally was the Flash for several decades as well. It would be hard to think of another name for Wally to use instead of Flash though Mercury is a good choice. Funnily enough Scion and Sentinel are on the CBR thread I mentioned. They're good names for Conner to adopt.

Sounds like he's running damage control tbh, he was sympathetic to the SM/WW romance in his JLA run. Plus it's hard not to conclude the guy wearing Superman's cape and Wonder Woman's gear isn't their alternate future son.

Yeah, I actually went and looked at the thread myself. Supernova didn't sound bad either.

@lvenger: Hitch is more sympathetic to Clois than to smww. In JLA Superman and Wonder Woman is more friends than lovers. Superman showed concern, which he showed similarly to Lois in Superman Unchained. I saw several times that friends showed the same concern for each other. Not only between guys, but between a woman and a man too. In addition, the batarang on the cape hints at Batman. In Rebirth Wonder Woman always wears a round clasp.

Just a thought. What if this is Damian wearing Jon/Kals' cape, with WWs' scavenged gear? I mean, even Bruce and Clark look painfully similar when you boil down their outward appearance. Maybe he learns that Hope is greater than Fear, and that the world needs a Superman to inspire it more than it needs Batman? Or something like that. I haven't seen him flying or anything, but it's also possible that he's done some experimentation on himself to give himself powers?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza1969 said:

@mightykalel said:
    @bezza1969 said:

You're right of course, but I was thinking on that occasion where he used DDs momentum to chuck him half way around the world, couldn't he have chucked him into space? Trying to fly Doomsday to space is clearly not going to work, another reason why I don't think Superman would find it easy to BFR the Hulk if they fought. But that's another subject for another day

Going back to Doomsday, what did people think of his power levels? More like classic original Jurgens era Doomsday, rather than the New 52 one which was ripped in half by Supes? People sometimes compare Doomsday to the Hulk, but the punishment he soaked up from an all out Superman (and Wonder Woman) was ridiculous. I don't think a Hulk punched 4,000 times by Superman would be looking quite as fresh!!!!

If we go by actual crossovers, Superman didn't even flinch at Hulk punching him in the first one and kicked his ass the second time. I'm pretty sure Hulk wouldn't be quite as much of a challenge as Doomsday. He's nowhere near as fast and if Superman can no-sell his punches, then Supes can just carry his ass all the way to the sun while Banner does his best to KO him to no avail.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat:

That first crossover was a pre crisis Superman against a fairly weedy late 70s or early 80s Savage Hulk? Even at that time that story was fairly controversial (I'm old enough to remember the original comic - Hulk fans were going mental!!!)...the later crossovers were a bit more even I believe and I think the more recent Hulk (post Planet Hulk) would certainly register if he hit Supes.

But yeah, I'm with you on Doomsday, he just soaks up everything going. His speed is a big asset as you say. Neither Supes or WW were fast enough to avoid being tagged multiple times.

The main thing is that the rebirth Superman stories have been great. I am going to collect the Superman (Tomasi) HC next. I hope Marvel can do the same for the Hulk soon. I've always loved Supes and Hulk and the years 2012 -2016 were some of the grimmest ever, in terms of decent Superman or Hulk comics....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel said:
    @bezza1969 said:

He could've, but he didn't want to. Even if Clark had thrown into space, there was no guarantee Doomsday wouldn't come/fall back to Earth like Shaggy Man [Wonder Woman 25]. Clark had a strategy on his mind, it was to take him to his fortress where the projector was, and put DD inside the zone.

I would place him above new 52 Doomsday. Physical prowess didn't seem to work on him whereas New 52 one was ripped in half by Clark. But below H/P version. Certain versions of Doomsday are superior to the Hulk but there are comparable/weaker versions as well.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the name of the Wonder Kid in JL is Hunter Prince

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juanM578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preview Justice League 26:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.