Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1001  Edited By entropy_aegis

I dunno how you guys feel but Henshaw is incredibly nerfed, not just power but in terms of personality as well. He's like a PG Henshaw, I dont see that sheer menace and lunacy that made him a favorite of mine, this guy should be Joker level mad not a Mr Freeze lite moping for his wife.

Zod is just hilarious, who made this guy a general? Williams version and Jurgens version are incredibly different, I'm shocked at the complete and utter lack of editorial coordination between Suicide Squad and Action Comics.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@entropy_aegis: Perhaps there's a difference between how Jurgens portrays him and the nihilistic suicidal version of the character during his period as a Green Lantern villain. Still, that sinister lunacy and force of nature that Henshaw used to be for Superman does seem somewhat diluted in this story. It's most likely because this is a team up of multiple villains who are all a danger to Superman alone so some are taking a backseat to others.

Zod's portrayal was ridiculously inconsistent between Williams and Jurgens. It was like reading two different characters. In Suicide Squad Zod is a raving psycho loony but in Action Comics he changes to a cunning ruthless tactician. The lack of editorial communication was disappointing in Zod's depiction.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1003 morpheus_  Moderator

I dunno how you guys feel but Henshaw is incredibly nerfed, not just power but in terms of personality as well. He's like a PG Henshaw, I dont see that sheer menace and lunacy that made him a favorite of mine, this guy should be Joker level mad not a Mr Freeze lite moping for his wife.

Zod is just hilarious, who made this guy a general? Williams version and Jurgens version are incredibly different, I'm shocked at the complete and utter lack of editorial coordination between Suicide Squad and Action Comics.

I think what is worse is that he willingly turned into the Cyborg again. He spent a good part of his history trying to die, not because he no longer cared for his wife but out of desire to join her in death, so it is highly unlikely he'd become an immortal being once more just out of spite for Superman.

AC Zod and Superman/WW Zod is cool, the Williams version that talks about himself perpetually in the third person is like a parody.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Where can I read THAT Henshaw?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
    @entropy_aegis said:

Where can I read THAT Henshaw?

Johns era GL, DOS, Hunter Prey, 90's Henshaw in general.

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis: Perhaps there's a difference between how Jurgens portrays him and the nihilistic suicidal version of the character during his period as a Green Lantern villain. Still, that sinister lunacy and force of nature that Henshaw used to be for Superman does seem somewhat diluted in this story. It's most likely because this is a team up of multiple villains who are all a danger to Superman alone so some are taking a backseat to others.

Zod's portrayal was ridiculously inconsistent between Williams and Jurgens. It was like reading two different characters. In Suicide Squad Zod is a raving psycho loony but in Action Comics he changes to a cunning ruthless tactician. The lack of editorial communication was disappointing in Zod's depiction.

@entropy_aegis said:

I think what is worse is that he willingly turned into the Cyborg again. He spent a good part of his history trying to die, not because he no longer cared for his wife but out of desire to join her in death, so it is highly unlikely he'd become an immortal being once more just out of spite for Superman.

AC Zod and Superman/WW Zod is cool, the Williams version that talks about himself perpetually in the third person is like a parody.

Yeah, Williams Zod is a bad parody of a certain Marvel doctor. As for Henshaw, I just dont get why he didn't use the stone to just bring back his wife or something. I hope his angle is revealed to be a ruse.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@entropy_aegis: As for Henshaw, I just dont get why he didn't use the stone to just bring back his wife or something.

Because the stone can be used only to alter the aspect of its possessor.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: As for Henshaw, I just dont get why he didn't use the stone to just bring back his wife or something.

Because the stone can be used only to alter the aspect of its possessor.

Well then he can put it around her and alter her "aspect" aka death.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punch her in the face Damian.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else reminded of what L'Call saw at the end of Action Comics #972 with the Apokolips solicit? There was a vision where Superman takes away Lex's Mother Box whilst he's on a throne.

No Caption Provided

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: wait, looking at that scan again, I think I was mistaken.

Is the bottom left Ulysses? Or is that Blanque?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakai: Is the bottom left Ulysses? Or is that Blanque?

Blanque.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Anyone else reminded of what L'Call saw at the end of Action Comics #972 with the Apokolips solicit? There was a vision where Superman takes away Lex's Mother Box whilst he's on a throne.

No Caption Provided

But it looks more like Superman is taking away the mother box after beating Lexseid. Lex hasn't gone evil yet, I mean not in the way L'Call envisaged him to be, as a successor of Darkseid. Maybe he will soon. I can't wait to see how it will turn out. Anyway, Super-family vs the forces of Apokolips sounds fantastic to me.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when I'm like, "what can Super team do to surprise me after that" they manage to pull another surprise. This is what Superhero comics should aspire to be.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman #25 was a solid ending to Black Dawn. Admittedly I thought it was going to be better but I still really liked the final payoff. After the first 7 issues of Superman, Black Dawn is my favourite Rebirth Superman story.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1017  Edited By ZariusII

Superman this week was a tad underwhelming, but still entertaining enough.

I love that Manchester's mind winds up in a cow, and that he gets heckled and pushed over by kids.

Also looks like, regardless of moving away from Hamilton and the now orphaned Kathy, Jon is destined to be with her as an adult in the future.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A cow that smokes? LMAO

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really like to see this future.

No Caption Provided

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This arc has been really good

Now I want the epic fight between Manchester Black vs Bat Cow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting ending to a really interesting arc. So how do we call that cow now - Manchester Cow? Cow Black? Black Cow? The future intrigues me much, considering there has been a cameo of Solaris in rebirth I think [or hope ;) ] Superman dynasty is going to appear soon. I hope Kathy would appear often in Super-Sons book.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really really loved that ending I got a little confused during the action though.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster: All that show is future Damian an Jon with His GF an Bizzaro Planet . Ending of this story was just meh. I wanted a better ending with black since he made it personal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good conclusion to a really solid arc.

So Lois never really lost her leg. Then why was Clark in the hospital with her earlier? I know that Manchester Black was manipulating Jon to think she had lost her leg, but Jon wasn't around at the hospital, so what reason was there for that scene to exist? I'm probably reading too much into it.

And yeah, it was great to see Jon finally fly. Lois and Clark's kiss was a good ending, and the Manchester cow was fun.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster:

Okay, so when Kathy said that Jon only saw what Manchester Black wanted him to see, she meant that Black didn't let Jon see Frankenstein's Bride reattach Lois's limb? I took it as Black let Jon see Lois loose her leg via telepathic scenes that actually didn't occur. Hmm. I must have read over your explanation.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the Superman books have been great. By far the best out now and definitely the best superman in years. I just wish there was a little more action.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scott_summers52: I misunderstood the context, I read it again lol. You're right it's just Black's telepathic power.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster: You had me doubting myself for a second. Ha, it's fine

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1030  Edited By vinomonster

Is Jorge Jimenez sticking with Super Sons? The current issue doesn't feature him, I hope he stays. I like his art, it captures the emotion of Jon and Damian.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good conclusion to a really solid arc.

So Lois never really lost her leg. Then why was Clark in the hospital with her earlier? I know that Manchester Black was manipulating Jon to think she had lost her leg, but Jon wasn't around at the hospital, so what reason was there for that scene to exist? I'm probably reading too much into it.

And yeah, it was great to see Jon finally fly. Lois and Clark's kiss was a good ending, and the Manchester cow was fun.

Black was manipulating everyone, not just Jon. Lois and Clark thought Lois losing her leg was real, that's why he took her to the hospital.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel: Makes sense. I underestimated Manchester Black's power.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Lois' leg was going to be a telepathic illusion caused by Black. I called it the week that issue came out. Those naysayers and women in refrigerator complainers definitely jumped the gun.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Jorge Jimenez sticking with Super Sons? The current issue doesn't feature him, I hope he stays. I like his art, it captures the emotion of Jon and Damian.

He's scheduled to be back for Super Sons #6 and the issues following.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that was good. The fact that it dropped any attempt to question Superman's morals prevents it from being great, but it was enjoyable. I know Jon has been the focus since Rebirth started, but this is the first time I feel it came to the detriment of Supes, and it made me realize Supes hasn't had any development during this run. Hopefully the Sinestro arc gives him some.

The epilogue, with Jon flying for the first time and Cowchester Black, was a lot better than the rest of the issue, and makes up for its flaws (but doesn't carry it to greatness). Supes non-reaction to Kathy now living alone was weird and tactless, but I'll assume it's because Kryptonian psychology is different from human.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juanM578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman #27 cover

No Caption Provided

Super Sons #6 variant cover:

No Caption Provided

Action Comics #984 cover:

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the cover indicates the match ups between the Super Family and the Revenge Squad will be Superman vs Zod, Steel vs Eradicator, Supergirl vs Cyborg Superman and Kenan Kong vs Metallo. Lex Luthor is supposed to show up so I think he'll be taking on Blanque rather than Jon and then that leaves Superwoman versus Mongul.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Lex is going to find out about Superman's family and his secret identity? Lois and Jon are gonna go with Superman to the fortress of solitude. Herbert had posted an image of Lois and Superman talking at the fortress which most likely is from Action Comics 982 and Kelex was in the picture too. Solicits say that the battle is going to happen near the fortress and Lex is obviously going to be there. The possibility is high.

juanM578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman # 27 Variant cover:

No Caption Provided

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to the ''road trip'' era of the Superman title

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is #27 the issue when a guest writer/artist team takes over?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is #27 the issue when a guest writer/artist team takes over?

It's #26 which will have the guest creative team.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1048  Edited By Black_Arrow

Henshaw is still running the show, that's good to hear.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am actually glad that the technology and science inside the fortress is brought up with high regard. Wonder what kind of tech would be there that the Earth hasn't discovered yet.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really curious about Hank's endgame.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.