Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

#901 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

SUPERMAN #28

Written by PETER J. TOMASI, PATRICK GLEASON and KEITH CHAMPAGNE • Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA—Cover by DOUG MAHNKE • Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ

“FEAR ITSELF” part one! The writing team of Tomasi and Gleason are joined by co-writer Keith Champagne in a story that returns to their Green Lantern roots and asks the question “What scares Superman?”

On sale AUGUST 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

SUPERMAN #29

Written by PETER J. TOMASI, PATRICK GLEASON and KEITH CHAMPAGNE • Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA—Cover by RYAN SOOK • Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ

“FEAR ITSELF” part two! This looks like a job for...Sinestro?! Thrust into the anti-matter universe of Qward, Superman’s only hope is the former greatest of the Green Lanterns!

On sale AUGUST 16 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

#902 Edited by ZariusII (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger I'm not too well informed on Green Lantern titles these days as I refuse to read them until Hal gets back with Carol, so I did research and found the Sinestro Corps are law enforcers now...good thing I did that, otherwise I'd have been floored

#903 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

@warlordeternal: I'm sorry you feel Mongul looked bad next to Cyborg Superman's return. It must be bad for you as a Mongul fan. However, Mongul hasn't had much of a presence in the New 52 and this Revenge Squad arc does have him in an important role. Plus, Cyborg Superman has been historically portrayed as a major threat to Superman on a consistent basis whereas Mongul has suffered as a Superman villain.

That's what I'm saying, that's the problem. Henshaw is one of the greatest villains because he has always been constant. It's like no one knows how to write Mongul. A character that really shouldn't be that hard to write. I mean for crying out loud, the guy is an intergalactic tyrant, with access to a system destroying weapon, and a physical juggernaut. The New52 misused him at times (such as the Doomed story arc) but also gave him great moments such as his role in the Sinestro books. He was formidable and they gave him back his heat vision. When Rebirth rolled around, that's when things got a little messy for some characters. I have yet to read every book so I might have missed something so maybe you can help me, but what exactly has happened to Mongul? Is this the post-crisis version or is he still the New52 version? And what was up with him being trapped in a Black Mercy. I've read all the Trinity books thus far, when did Superman fight him and leave him tangled in the plant? It feels like they skipped a ton of important information. Last I saw of him before that was when he departed Warworld after fighting the Manhunters.

Given how you describe him, DC writers might feel he steps on Darkseid's territory too much. Even though I once read Mongul was created as a pastiche of Thanos allegedly. It's not that he isn't cool or doesn't have potential, but his main traits are present in other DC villains so they get used instead of him. As for what happened with Mongul, his timeline hasn't been fully explained yet. He seems to have Post Crisis history with Superman again but on the other hand the stuff that's happened in Sinestro's comic appears to still be canon too. You didn't miss any appearances of Mongul recently though, he departed Warworld after fighting the Manhunters and Sinestro Corps in Sinestro and his next appearance is in Trinity using the White Mercy to take control of Superman's body. His body was never actually shown nearby so Jurgens must have assumed Superman left Mongul trapped inside the Black Mercy otherwise he wouldn't be around to be recruited to the Revenge Squad. Which brings us to Mongul serving Cyborg Superman which you feel is detrimental to his character.

#904 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
@zariusii said:

@lvenger I'm not too well informed on Green Lantern titles these days as I refuse to read them until Hal gets back with Carol, so I did research and found the Sinestro Corps are law enforcers now...good thing I did that, otherwise I'd have been floored

Yeah that would have been a big shock had you gone into this story completely blind. The Sinestro Corps are now working with the GLC, plus Sinestro and Hal were presumed dead. As for Hal and Carol, Kyle is no longer with Carol and is trying to get back with Soranik Natu so maybe Hal and Carol can happen in the future.

#905 Posted by RaunJisto (478 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: I also don't like how Lex isn't consistent across the Super books. In Action Comics he seems like he's actually trying to not be a jerk and be heroic, but in everything else his doucheyness is over the roof.

#906 Posted by Quinlan58 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

To everyone bringing up that the Sinestro Corps are now working with the Green Lanterns, while that is true, Sinestro himself is still a renegade who tried to mechanically harvest fear from hundreds if not thousands of kidnapped civilians last time we saw him. So there's still that.

Story sounds extremely cool though, and a good idea to tackle Injustice themes using an actually in-character Supes.

#907 Posted by ZariusII (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:
@zariusii said:

Yeah that would have been a big shock had you gone into this story completely blind. The Sinestro Corps are now working with the GLC, plus Sinestro and Hal were presumed dead. As for Hal and Carol, Kyle is no longer with Carol and is trying to get back with Soranik Natu so maybe Hal and Carol can happen in the future.

Thankyou so much for the information @lvenger, now there's a real chance I'll follow the book more diligently in hopes of that.

#908 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
@zariusii said:
@lvenger said:
@zariusii said:

Thankyou so much for the information @lvenger, now there's a real chance I'll follow the book more diligently in hopes of that.

No problem, glad I could help you make a more informed decision on the series.

#909 Posted by MightyKalEl (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting solicits, that Superman cover is so cool.

#910 Posted by entropy_aegis (18924 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm glad that the anti matter universe still exists.

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#911 Edited by scott_summers52 (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

I finally got around to reading Superman 23. That took a dark turn, really fast.

Also, why hasn't this thread been pinned yet?

#912 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
#913 Posted by soldierofel (2571 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so behind but I'm waiting for the trades. I finally got round to finishing the final arcs of New 52 Superman and I was pleasantly surprised. But Rebirth just looks amazing. When I've got time I'm buying the Superman title and the Action Comics title. I really thought DC would've got there act together with the trades release dates. They need to adopt Marvel and Image's method.

#914 Posted by scott_summers52 (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Thanks, this thread has been pinned.

#915 Posted by Eto (2720 posts) - - Show Bio
#916 Edited by ZariusII (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

It's possible Lois may still be affected by her loss in last week's issue, here's a WIP picture I found on CBR...note that there are crutches

No Caption Provided

#917 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Well it looks like Lois' injury is going to be ongoing for a while then. I wonder if Action Comics is going to reflect it?

@lvenger: Thanks, this thread has been pinned.

You're welcome :)

#918 Edited by ZariusII (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger I stand corrected, the crutches belong to this character

No Caption Provided

#919 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Interesting, they're not Lois' crutches. Of course Lois could be at an event for people with limb injuries which would confirm that her injury was real and will last for a while. This must be for the next arc of Superman since Action Comics is still on the Revenge Squad arc.

#920 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
#921 Edited by Super-Wonder (510 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I love this cover!

I'm looking forward to the addition of Zod to the "Revenge Squad"

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
#922 Edited by BeautifulTemptress (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Interestingly, if Cyborg Superman will lose what is on his neck, he again become a human? Or he will forever be in this form?

#923 Posted by ZariusII (3048 posts) - - Show Bio
#924 Edited by scott_summers52 (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

We might finally find out who Oz really is in August!

#925 Edited by Quinlan58 (427 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Rebirth seems to already be climaxing, and most of it sounds great.
  • Anyone knows if Jurgens has definitely left Action Comics or if it's just for that arc?
  • Oliver Queen teams up with Superman to deal with a group of corrupt businessmen, who seem to think they can take on Lex Luthor. I might actually pick up Green Arrow again for this.
  • People have already mentioned the absence of Jon and Damian from the Justice League children thing. My guess is they are either dead or the cause of whatever disaster is happening.
  • Custody battle for Bizarro. Excellent.
  • The Supergirl issues sound great, too.
  • I mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again: in-character Sinestro Corps Superman could be amazing.
  • I like Jon and all, but I'm not seeing how he could possibly turn the tides on whatever battle is going on in SuperSons. Anything he could do Starfire can do better, and Raven is mighty powerful too.
  • Trinity sounds great as always.
  • Not directly Superman related, but all of those Kirby homages are cool.
#926 Posted by vinomonster (5430 posts) - - Show Bio

I also have the same question, does Jurgens leaving Action Comics permanently?

#927 Edited by WarlordEternal (4659 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

Given how you describe him, DC writers might feel he steps on Darkseid's territory too much. Even though I once read Mongul was created as a pastiche of Thanos allegedly. It's not that he isn't cool or doesn't have potential, but his main traits are present in other DC villains so they get used instead of him. As for what happened with Mongul, his timeline hasn't been fully explained yet. He seems to have Post Crisis history with Superman again but on the other hand the stuff that's happened in Sinestro's comic appears to still be canon too. You didn't miss any appearances of Mongul recently though, he departed Warworld after fighting the Manhunters and Sinestro Corps in Sinestro and his next appearance is in Trinity using the White Mercy to take control of Superman's body. His body was never actually shown nearby so Jurgens must have assumed Superman left Mongul trapped inside the Black Mercy otherwise he wouldn't be around to be recruited to the Revenge Squad. Which brings us to Mongul serving Cyborg Superman which you feel is detrimental to his character.

I put it too simply then. I see what you mean, and that's likely how a lot of writers look at him. In the broad sense, yes he would seem a lot like Darkseid; however, If effort and creativity were to be applied, he could appear different in all the right ways.

I've always seen Darkseid as the kind of character who operated behind the scenes. letting is underlings do all of his dirty work, despite the fact that he has godlike power. Mongul on the other hand loves to get up close and personal. He loves to watch the life drain from someones eyes as he rips them limb from limb. Which I feel brings up another difference. Darkseid I feel ends things rather clean. Painful, but clean. However, Mongul is the kind of guy who would perform a mortal kombat fatality on his enemies. I mean just check out his threats.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Darkseid seems much more "refined" and sophisticated. He deems himself too high to even so much as bother with such lowly lifeforms. Mongul could careless. He loves the feel of his enemies blood running down his fingers. To take part in a vicious battle. Both have severe megalomania, but Mongul I feel has to prove it to the universe. With this in mind, I feel like Mongul is the kind of character who would rather die than bow.

This just gave me an idea. You ever heard of Cosmic Horror or Cosmicism? To put it simply, it's the horror of the unknown (and in some cases, unknowable). When something beyond our comprehension, lurking in dark space, comes crashing into our reality. Perhaps the most prominent theme in Cosmicism is the insignificance of humanity in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence. While feeling similar to nihilism, cosmicism tends to emphasize the insignificance of humanity and its doings, rather than summarily rejecting the possible existence of some higher purpose (or purposes). For example, in Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories it is not the absence of meaning that causes terror for the protagonists, as it is their discovery that they have absolutely no power to change anything in the vast, indifferent universe that surrounds them. What if this is why Mongul seeks to conquer the universe? Fear of the unknown. He doesn't want to believe that he is insignificant in the universe and that everything he does holds no purpose. So he seeks to control it. To become the master of all things, and thus "beating" the universe. His home and greatest weapon is Warworld, a system busting engine of destruction. This could have been constructed as a means of combating beings with unimaginable power. ( I know why it was constructed in pre-crisis lore, but if the New52 is still canon, then we don't have a reason for it existence beyond it just being the Death Star).

Thanks for the info. I can only hope that more depth is brought to the character. I am eager to see how the Revenge arc plays out and I hope it does each character justice.

#928 Posted by MightyKalEl (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Williams is just filling in. Dan will be back for AC 987.

#929 Posted by MightyKalEl (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Interestingly, if Cyborg Superman will lose what is on his neck, he again become a human? Or he will forever be in this form?

Not sure. Oblivion Stone has the ability to alter any aspect of the possessor's life [only once] if the 2 halves are united. No mention anywhere as to whether separating it would reverse the effect or not.

#930 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio

#931 Posted by vinomonster (5430 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Thank god, I guess everyone needs a time off once in a while. I hope they do another Superman crossover in AC 1000.

#932 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: I'm sure something very big is planned for Action Comics 1000, that's probably going to be a massive issue with loads of contributing creative teams doing extra stories. Like Action Comics 900 only probably bigger.

#933 Posted by vinomonster (5430 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: it should be, I dont know what else they can do now. Jurgen's doing a revenge squad then Tomasi and gleason have manchester.. I really dont have an idea on how they can top those 2 story arc. AC 1000 might suprise us all.

#934 Posted by Quinlan58 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: They could pull a Maggin and have 1000 be about Supes as a mythical figure. Better yet, have it be an homage to every version of Superman, from the Golden Age to now.

#935 Edited by Eto (2720 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Thank you man. Glad Jurgens will be back soon. Almost decided to cancel my subscription lmao.

#936 Posted by MightyKalEl (1031 posts) - - Show Bio
Liked Action Comics 980. I didn't expect Batman to show up here. It was a nice choice. I guess he will be the one saving Clark from the nightmares he is facing at the end of the issue. Wait, can Bruce even go there? I mean, Eradicator was impervious to the Kryptonian tech only because he was an artificial construct. The brief skirmish Superman had with Eradicator and Henshaw was good. Despite being disoriented, he handled them well. Can't wait to read the rest.
#937 Posted by ZariusII (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. Superb issue, and I liked the twist in the vault with Johnathan and Martha, it works on a very meta-level too

#938 Edited by vinomonster (5430 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice build up.. anyone knows how many issues this arc will be? I supposed Revenge Squad happened after Black Dawn so that makes Lois not losing her legs.

#939 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty solid issue, a little heavy on exposition but perhaps necessary for newer readers and not done as excessively as the previous two issues before the Revenge arc. Superman claiming responsibility for this new threat alone instead of calling in the League was an interesting moment that shows Superman can handle his own mess. And that moment of him saying the ends rarely justify the means was such a Superman moment. The Black Vault hallucinations were spooky too, the Kents torturing Superman with failing to save them was a heavy moment.

#940 Posted by Quinlan58 (427 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I was expecting Zod to appear on this issue at least as a cliffhanger, but OK.
  • Seems Metallo's new motivation is improving his body. Not expecting it to last, since it gives him zero contrast with Superman, but it could give a few stories.
  • I know telling the young son that he must stay behind to protect his mother/sister/female relative is an usual trope, and that most of the time it makes sense to do so, but I'm growing tired of it. Not necessarily Jurgens' fault, though.
  • Batman asking if Superman is going to storm Belle Reve partly because of Waller reads as forced conflict between the two.
  • On that note, I hope Batman won't end up having to save the Super-family.
  • Eradicator and Henshaw go back from the door to Belle Reve to confront Superman, and then go back to the door again. They should have just decided to hurry up and give Superman more pages for his hallucination
  • Speaking of which, the hallucinations should have been a lot more trippy, and the zombies weren't nearly as scary as they should have been.
#941 Posted by juanM578 (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Sons #5 variant cover:

No Caption Provided

#942 Posted by entropy_aegis (18924 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought that the recent issue of Action was quite boring and I'm not understanding the strategy of positioning both Zod and Henshaw as the leaders of the group.

#943 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: You have a point, both Henshaw and Zod have very alpha male personalities to say the least. It seems like Zod will take over the Revenge Squad yet Henshaw wouldn't allow himself to be led unless something was in it for him like during the Sinestro Corps War. Plus Zod should be less likely to work with the Revenge Squad since his goal is to unleash the Black Vault/Phantom Zone criminals into the world.

#944 Posted by Farkam (9694 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought that the recent issue of Action was quite boring and I'm not understanding the strategy of positioning both Zod and Henshaw as the leaders of the group.

Yeah, it was a bit disappointing. The Supes and Cyborg Supes reunion should have felt bigger imo

#945 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
#946 Posted by entropy_aegis (18924 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis: You have a point, both Henshaw and Zod have very alpha male personalities to say the least. It seems like Zod will take over the Revenge Squad yet Henshaw wouldn't allow himself to be led unless something was in it for him like during the Sinestro Corps War. Plus Zod should be less likely to work with the Revenge Squad since his goal is to unleash the Black Vault/Phantom Zone criminals into the world.

Indeed and its this divergence that worries me. I can see Eradicator working with Zod but the rest? nah. I feel Hank and Zod will cannibalize each other and not allow either to truly shine, I hope I'm wrong though.

#947 Posted by lvenger (32461 posts) - - Show Bio
#948 Posted by RaunJisto (478 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Is it wrong that I don't really want Lex to go full on evil again? I really like him as his current douchy anti-hero self. After the whole thing with Lena in Superwoman and going through that ordeal with Clark in Action Comics, I really want to see more of him as an ally.

#949 Edited by juanM578 (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Preview Superman #24

http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-superman-24/

#950 Posted by Quinlan58 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god, that is glorious and explains so much, and opens so many story possibilities:

• This at least means Kathy and Cobb can remain part of the supporting cast after this arc is done.
  • Are the giant monsters part of the kroog alien invasion or are they being controlled by Black?
  • Why was Black on outer space?
  • Are the Kroog the reason Superman is going to go to space during the Sinestro arc?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.