Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Smallville new series (spoiler warning)

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I get that they need to do things differently and Chloe and Whitney helped expand his high school friendships beyond Lana and Pete (who are the only two in the comics) and also brought some drama with them. I have less problem with them bringing in new characters than I do with them changing old ones.

The other heroes have some similarity to their comic personas, GA is a rich kid with a social consience. Cyborg an athlete coming to terms with becoming more machine than man. Aquaman the reluctant outsider who realises our problems are his problems. Flash is a bit of a mix of Wally and Bart, impulsive but with his heart in the right place. MM has acted more as an advisor to Clark, though he has been the invisible protecter he was established to be before Superman showed up and he made his existence public. I'd like to see him do more. I just think they had better choices than to squeeze Supergirl into a new role. I hope they prove me wrong, I guess I'll see more next episode.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By Methos
    1. i'm quite happy with them bringing Supergirl into Smallville... as long as it's done right... i mean there wasn't supposed to be a Flash in Superman's past, nor any other 'heroes', but we're all happy with how it turned out.

2. the silver arm band... probably a Kryptonian (Argosian?) artifact or family glyph... wouldn't surprise me at all, was a nice nod to the silver wrist band that Supergirl wore in the movie to locate the omegahedron (yeah, crap movie lol)

3. Supergirl / Lex relationship... yeah, it'll probably happen... most Supergirl's have had dealings with Lex at one point or another, one of them was actually in line to marry him at one point.

4. i'm still hoping that Brainiac's return is a horrible rumor lol

overall though, quite happy :D

M

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#153  Edited By Starleafgirl

Methos,

1. Yeah, I read that her backstory is supposed to be something like a version of Supergirl, the one where she's actually older than Clark and was supposed to go with him but she got stuck in stasis or whatever. So, we'll see.

2. Sadly, the movie Supergirl may be the most mainstream reference for most of the people watching Smallville, lol.

3. Now that Lana's out of the equation, I'm betting on this too. Lex has got a revolving door of love interests, lol, though I'm hoping they chose something more interesting than that for the show. I like what they have right now so far of Lex looking up to her like an angel.

4. It was in TV Guide, which has published rumors before just to create buzz, but I think if it's in TV Guide, it's pretty darn set to happen, lol. pause Or was it? I've been reading so many internet comic book news sources lately I might've gotten confused. Oh well, we'll see. Lol.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I'm usually the first one to say a TV/film version won't/can't/shouldn't be like the comic. But for me it seems like they're changing the character, which is my pet hate. I know Flash wasn't there before Clark put on spandex, but him, GA and Aquaman are his contemporaries. They all got started at the same time in the hero business. MM is actually closest to the comics as he was around for a bit as Clark grew up (Martian Manhunter #20). They all are essentially equals. Supergirl's relationship with Superman is defined by the fact that he's the famous established superhero and everyone looks at her as 'Superman's cousin'. If they're around at the same time then that's not the case.

I dunno, maybe I'm not making my point properly. I hope I'm wrong, we'll wait and see I guess.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#155  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Methos says:

"Bizarro Review==============I get the feeling from the pilot that this season is going to be about growth, mainly for Clark. Now realizing that he is not alone in the universe, first Martian Manhunter, and now Kara... he seems to be actually growing into the character of Superman. it seems now that he's figured out that while Smallville is his home, the entire Earth needs his protection and there's so much more to see out there.M"

I agree with this season being about the growth of Superman. I did like the fact that he actually stopped a hit from "Bizzaro", that to me says that his powers has grown for this season. Still was gutted about not seeing Supergirl more...but there is a entire episode hopefully for her next week.

It will be interesting to see her face when she realizes that’s Clarks not a baby.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Supreme Marvel

==================================================================================================================

Directors cut...

cut #1

cut#2

Enjoy...

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Methos

Lord Shazam says:

"It will be interesting to see her face when she realizes that’s Clarks **not** a baby."

yeah... that'll be a classic moment :D

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Methos

basically i think Smallville isn't retelling the origins of Superman for this generation, it's rewriting them...

if they want to introduce a few new characters, bring characters in early or change things... i have no problem with that...

so far (with exception to season 5) i think Smallville has been amazing... people have had problems with them bring characters in early, if it's such a big problem why not kick off at the fact that Pete was black? or that Lana isn't a midwestern redhead? or that Lex is in it at all?

major thing is, this is done for entertainment, and so far they have done an amazing job on the show and personally i'm looking forward to see where they take it.

maybe when they've finished Smallville they'll start a new series... "Superman: The Odyssey"

M

Gambit0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#159  Edited By Gambit0

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Methos

some new stuff for you...

1. Dean Cain WILL be appearing as a villain in this season...

honest...

shiny lol, fight of the Supermen... my money's on Dean, he fought off Teri Hatcher lol

1. Supergirl, Helen Slater will be making reccuring appearances as Lara... i'm guessing she's have the same job for Kara as Jor-El did for Clark...

meh, always happy to see her in something :D

1. caption contest...

caption this pic, funniest one wins

i won't bother asking you to try and keep them clean, not when she's pulling a face like that lol

M

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#161  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

Sniffs fingers and throws hands out in "jazz fingers".

Super- star!

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Methos

i'm putting money on Brandon Routh's going to turn up for a guest star soon...

we've had Chris Reeve, now Dean Cain... get Routh and we've got a full set of Supermen lol

M

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

Methos says:

"i'm putting money on Brandon Routh's going to turn up for a guest star soon...we've had Chris Reeve, now Dean Cain... get Routh and we've got a full set of Supermen lolM"

I now miss Christopher Reeves now that you have mention him.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

If they do some digital jiggery pokery and put George Reeve in as a guest star, I'll give them Story's beating (I haven't forgotten cloud Galactus, I just can't afford the poetic justice I have planned).

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Methos

lol...

how many Supermen did you want Sentinel?

not one of mine...

M

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I can never get enough Supermen. On a less gay note, Dean Cain as a villain, that'll be good. I liked the first couple of series of Lois and Clark.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Methos

i think he'll make a good villain...

he's not that bad of an actor when it comes down to it

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#168  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Smallville is the #@!$ the last two episodes of season 6 are the best Superman related anything since the original 2

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Methos

umm... what?

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By The_Ghostshell

At the end of the fight between Clark and Bizzaro, he knocks Bizzaro up into the sky, then like this red flash swoops bye, wtf was that and what happened to Bizzaro?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Methos

King of Kings says:

"At the end of the fight between Clark and Bizzaro, he knocks Bizzaro up into the sky, then like this red flash swoops bye, wtf was that and what happened to Bizzaro?"

2 thoughts...

1. Supergirl grabbed him?

2. Martian Manhunter grabbed him?

either way, no idea where he is now...

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Methos

nope... as far as spoilers go, there is nothing to say Bizarro will be returning in the next 10 episodes (thats as far as my spoilers go...)

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Okay I wasn't sure if I had missed something.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Methos

probably lol

nah, can't see a Smallville RPG working well :D

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By The_Ghostshell

He'll be back, I gare-un-tee. SUPERGIRL IS $#@!ING HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need a Superman/Smallville rpg

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By The_Ghostshell

It could, if we had enough chicks in it lol

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel
    Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Eternus

ok i just got finished watching the first episode cuz im slow like that and such, and i th9ink the whole bizzarro krypton is a load of shit. they arnt really evil in the comics they just do things backwards and mess things up like that. and i dont think sunlight was really their weakness. i mean there wasnt even any blue kryptonite. i don't know if anyone else felt like it was a load of bullocks but i think it is. also when clark evaporated that water that weas impossible because that mkuch water to evaporate that fast is next to impossible without pretty much blowing up everything within like a 3 mile radius.... they need to bring science into consideration at some point.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Eternus says:

"ok i just got finished watching the first episode cuz im slow like that and such, and i th9ink the whole bizzarro krypton is a load of shit. they arnt really evil in the comics they just do things backwards and mess things up like that. and i dont think sunlight was really their weakness. i mean there wasnt even any blue kryptonite. i don't know if anyone else felt like it was a load of bullocks but i think it is. also when clark evaporated that water that weas impossible because that mkuch water to evaporate that fast is next to impossible without pretty much blowing up everything within like a 3 mile radius.... they need to bring science into consideration at some point."

Did you just say you watched the Bizarro episode and Clark evaporating the water was impossible? Not Chloe dying and coming back to live, not the fact that a tear brought Lois back to live, not Supergirl flying around, not the fact that Clark is shooting heat beams from his eyes, all thats believable but the water evaporation, thats just to much, I mean it was so believable up until that, but after words you were like, no way thats fake.

I don't know if you just started watching Smallville but it doesn't exactly follow the comics. Who cares if there was no blue kryptonite, who cares if the water evaporation scene wasn't scientifically accurate. If your watching Smallville for the believability factor then my friend, be prepared to be disappointed.
    Post Edited:2007-10-02 05:22:40

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Starleafgirl

I don't think Eternus has ever watched Smallville before... if he had, he'd know that "Bizarro" was actually a wraith from the Phantom Zone (a well-established concept on the show) and there was absolutely no freakin' MENTION of a "Bizarro Krypton" -- so yeah, that little nugget is a load of bullocks -- your load, Eternus. The wraith needed the DNA of someone from Krypton and when he did, he copied it -- copied Clark Kent.

Also, Clark's heat vision is concentrated; it was focused on the water, so it wouldn't explode everything in a three mile radius. What I DID find ridiculous about the everyday concept of water evaporating on Smallville was that in the very next scene, Lex Luthor was drowning. In very high water. On the exposed side of the broken dam. Maybe the "very high" part was just the camera angle, I dunno, and it's just normal lake-height water at this point.

But if he's drowning, doesn't that mean there's still a wall of water that's going to come to engulf the little boy and his father? Shouldn't have Clark have had to continue until he evaporated all the water to a safe level (thereby inadvertedly saving Lex)? I suppose there's some sort of ledge of land or broken trees 'n such keeping it back. Or I suppose Lex was really drowning in the lake's (resevoir, pond, or what have you) normal level of water.

Anyway, it's a show based on comic books. Like Gambler said, people come back to life, people fly around the blue heavens, they bend steel, they breathe underwater and they get dragged out of wreckage by a mysterious pair of hands. You're really going to unsuspend your disbelief over some water evaporating...?
    Post Edited:2007-10-02 17:46:06

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

It's possible that Clark bought the river to it's pre-dam level and that Lex had plenty left to drown in. He did only deal with the initial wave, it wouldn't have maintained that level and would have dropped down fairly quickly without him. Of course, if Clark had carried on, Lex would have been boiled alive! I prefer my supervillains fried personally, I know it's not as healthy but I don't care.

Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Eternus

okay yeah i have been watching smallville a while and i do know that its a phantom from the phantom zone,which i think is a little weird but i didn't really care. but it was a really big let down with some of the ways they did stuff.... like cmon the water? the least they could do is get as close to real as possible. and all the other stuff i do question to and some of the other stuff was stupid but i figured id only mention so much at a time. i don't see why everyone is getting all yuppity about it. its not that i don't like the show or anything its just a little disappointing that they can't get the small things right. if only if only....
    Post Edited:2007-10-02 20:28:44

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Starleafgirl

Eh, Eternus, as Cosmic Sentinel pointed out to me, what's "right" and what would "really" happen are up for debate if you don't have all the scientific facts. I didn't even consider the fact that Lex would be boiled. :P Good point, Cosmic.

So the fact that you, Eternus, still contend that you know, scientifically, what would happen if Superman -- a fictional character -- used his heat vision -- a fictional phenomenon -- on a huge wall of water -- of undefined height, velocity, and composition (beyond the water) -- rushing toward him doesn't mean much to me. I don't think you could know how the "right" way is, exactly. Neither do I. So please, sit back, suspend your disbelief, and accept that that's the way they chose to portray it happening.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Sometimes these things are a bit open and you have to allow for a little artistic licence. I saw an interview with the creators of Stargate SG1 talking about the episode where Jack and Teal'c are trapped in the death glider heading out of the solar system. People jumped on one shot, saying that it couldn't happen. Then someone else posted a flight plan that would explain it. The reality was, they just thought it was a nice shot of the glider passing in front of the Sun in the distance.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Methos

T-11 hours until Kara...

M

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Supreme Marvel

the 8th episode is called "Blue"...i wonder what that means :D

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Methos

Lord Shazam says:

"the 8th episode is called "Blue"...i wonder what that means :D"

there have actually been rumors of Clark changing into an "electric" type Superman for some reason...

again, just a rumor, but i'll let people know as soon as i hear more

M

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

Smallville was cool, Clark and Kara. This should be interesting, I don't want to say much to give it away since some people probably haven't seen it, but I will say thank you, for showing Lana and I loved Chloe being insulted, YES! ha ha.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Methos

EGoD says:

"Smallville was cool, Clark and Kara. This should be interesting, I don't want to say much to give it away since some people probably haven't seen it, but I will say thank you, for showing Lana and I loved Chloe being insulted, YES! ha ha. "

lol, it's ok, you can talk about the episode here... this is the spoilers thread :D

i thought it was an amazing episode... currently converting in to HdMi to screencap it, once that has done i'll put my full review of it up here :D

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Methos

FTW?

huh?

M

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#191  Edited By gmanfromheck

It's official. I say 4 thumbs up!

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Methos

Full Review of Kara

===================

Don't touch my things!

Wow... what to say...

so many new plot twists and turns for our resident Kryptonian, or is that Kryptonians now?

the origin of Supergirl, finally revealed. Kal-El's cousin from Krypton, older than him by at least 18 years. she used to watch over him as a child apparently. when he ship crashed into the reservoir on earth she was kept in suspended animation until the damn burst (see Bizarro), but now she's back.

Family rivalry at it's best

a lot of references to the comics as well, whoever wrote this definitely knew their Supergirl mythos well... this Supergirl lived in Kandor, and used to regularly come and visit Kal-El, her Father, Zor-El and mother Lara were outcasts apparently from the house of El. as Kara describes it "what humans would call a dysfunctional family".

Kryptons gone?!?

and apparently it's true, girls do mature faster than boys... Kara has flight capability, as well as being able to survive in a vacuum unaided. not only this, but she can actually survive a nuclear explosion, yeah, honestly... her ship exploded when it was opened by the new bad guys, apparently with the force of a nuclear bomb... Kara had no problem containing the blast with her taught stomach [ ;)lol ]

Stopping a nuclear explosion with her abs, now thats tough!

and we have a new editor for the Daily Planet, and from what i've seen of the guy he seems to be a douche bag of par with Tony Stark... not only did Lois get knocked unconscious once by Kara, then again by her spaceship but she lost her camera and wrote a story about spaceships and alien invasions with absolutely no proof... and what did the new editor do? praises her and gives her a job... year, right... everyone scream with me "DOUCHE BAG!"

DOUCHE BAG!!!

Lex finally caught up with Lana, and the explanation as to how she faked her death was finally revealed... it seems Lex had been cloning Lana... whoah, kinky Lex, how many Lana's did you want in bed with you at the same time?

anyway, he catches up to her, explained how he figured it all out... blah blah blah, she pulls a gun on him, he's gone a bit loony and actually dares her to shoot him. at this point i'm cheering for Lana, go on, shoot the fker in the heart, he deserves it after season 5's acting lol

Shoot him, go on, it might actually improve his acting

so we go back to the barn, where Kara and Clark are having a heart to heart about Krypton and their family... insert plot twist here, Zor-El apparently sent a crystal along with Kara. it contained all her orders and information about Krypton... she's obviously devastated about loosing it but states that only a Kryptonian could even scratch it and a nuclear blast would do sweet FA to it...

if you're my cousin... does that mean i can't stare at your ass?

so we have another bad guy in the mix... the US department of Domestic Security... say again? what do they do, stop household arguments and domestic disturbances? come on, please, at least come up with a believable government title for god sake. they now apparently know about Kryptonians, know about their technology and what the crystal is...

blue shiny crystal... wait, Bizarro was last episode, someone come and grab the blue kryptonite prop please

god knows how they got it out of the ship since it was programmed to explode as soon as it was opened, and Kara blew it up... oh well, just another plot hole for Smallville, we should be used to them by now.

what a smile... what a pout...

Clark then goes back to the fortress, cut to pretty view of the fortress with the mood and the Aurora Borealis over head... pretty... right, enough CGI for one episode, Clark is talking to Jor-El again... seriously, why? after he put you through all that crap for 6 seasons, almost killed your father twice and sent you a fake Kara before, why are you still talking to this electronic ghost of a douche?

Thats a hell of a lot of CGI for one episode

anyway, he tells Clark that his new mission is to watch Kara, she's more dangerous than he knows... we've already figured that out... i mean we've all seen her legs lol

Lex, say it with me now... OBSESSION... ah, forget it

cut back to Lex, now back at home (seriously, Kansas to Shang Hei then back to Kansas in under a day?) he's now got his lackeys tracking someone else, seems now he's found Lana he has a thing for blondes now, Kara in particular. he just needs a redhead and he'll have a full set.

something went boom...

so now we have Kara on earth with powers superior to Clark, well thats always how it's been in the past so thats cool. a new government agency with knowledge about Kryptonians and a glowing blue crystal, oh not to for get the stupid name. Lois is now working at the Daily Planet, even though she wrote a story i wouldn't use for paper mache. Lex is now fixated on Kara, can't blame him one bit...

overall quite an impressive episode, the CGI was spot on, the acting was actually really good for once. Kara was almost in tears when Clark told her about Krypton's destruction and her disbelief about Kryptonite being able to hurt her was brilliant. the Lana / Lex scenes... what to say about them? i think we've all had enough of the Lex / Lana thing to last a lifetime. she's legally dead so they don't need a divorce, just leave baldy and get on with hinting down Pete so we can actually have some canon continuity back.

overall, five stars though... brilliant episode that more than lived upto it's hype :D

======================================================================================

pretty...

more spoilers to come as they appear

M

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

Nicely done Methos, thanks for the update.

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

I'll take your word on it.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Methos

that review was a lot easier to write than Bizarro...

M

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

Methos says:

"not too sarcastic then? lolM"

Seriously, you were kinda upset with the way the second Bzzarro wentfight went weren't you?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Methos

not too sarcastic then? lol

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Methos

could have been better... but Kara totally made up for episode 1

M

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

Methos says:

"could have been better... but Kara totally made up for episode 1M"

You mean to say seeing Kara alone made up for Epi 1

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Methos

i ment the episode, titled Kara made up for the first episode titled Bizarro...

but yeah, seeing Kara finally done well really cheered me up :D

M

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.