Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Robert Zemeckis Considered Directing Superman

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided
    Robert Zemeckis. Many people consider him to be a legend. Zemeckis has directed some classic films that still stand the test of time, and even a few in the past 15 years that will eventually be considered classics. As his time as a director, he brought films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Romancing the Stone, Forrest Gump, Castaway, and the Back to the Future series to the big screen. He's done some great films over the years, and recently he considered venturing into the superhero market.

Deadline recently reported that Zemeckis is seemingly working once again with Warner Brothers, the parent company of DC Comics, and he's got a lot of ideas about what he'd like to do. He's currently filming the animated Beatles picture, Yellow Submarine and afterwords, "Zemeckis has lately been rumored to be kicking the tires on such live action projects as Superman." This would be his first time doing a live-action film since the 2000 film Cast Away starring Tom Hanks.

Would Zemeckis be the right fit for the Man of Steel, if he actually fought for the job? Recently, we reported that Darrn Aronofsky, the director of The Wrestler and Black Swan, which will be released in December, seems to be leading the pack of directors for the film. Both Aronofsky and Zemeckis are two entirely different directors. Aronofsky mainly does serious pieces, that have a darker tone, while Zemeckis does a wonderful "feel good" or "light-hearted" film, and if we're talking Superman, Zemeckis might actually be a little bit better of a fit than Aronofsky just based on Kal-El's character alone. It's all a matter of opinion. Chances are very good we won't see Zemeckis direct the film because he merely considered the job and he didn't seem to make an actual move for it. Currently, Zemeckis is planning to return to the screen with another time traveling movie called Timeless, written by Mike Thompson. Warner Brothers recently picked up the pitch, and it's supposed to be a big budget film. And for those who are wondering, it's still rumored that Zemeckis wants to do a Roger Rabbit sequel. 
    If he had the chance, what do you think Robert Zemeckis' Superman film would be like?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Primmaster64

Eh...ok

Grouchy224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Grouchy224

Sweet Jesus, yes! If anyone has a knack for Fantasy it'd be Zemeckis. Forrest Gump and Back to the Future are my favorite movies of all time.

Omegavondoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Omegavondoom

you know, I actually wouldn't mind seeing what he would do with Superman. 

Zemeckis  is someone who I think can take any idea and make it grand, and if given the chance to work with such an iconic figure as Superman, I see massive epic-ness... while keeping with the grand context of the character.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian

I wouldn't mind Zemeckis directing the film.
    Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tmul501

I don't know. I love his movies and I love Superman, but I don't know if he would be the best fit for this flick. But I could be wrong. He definitely wouldn't be the worst choice.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMess1428

For the love of Rao, please choose Zack Snyder.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm ok with this.  

Forrest Gump is my favorite movie of all time. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Life is like a box of kryptonite... ya never know what yer gonna get. 
     (assuming there are different types of kryptonite in said box)

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator

Spelling error "Black Swam"- Black Swan
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By skaarason

as long as someone does it , and does it well !!!!

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Green Skin

As long as they get a better villian, and let Superman punch someone I don't care who directs it. 

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bruce Vain

Well then out of the list of directors I've seen this is how I would list my favorite directors for the job of taking on Superman. 

1.Zemeckis 
    2.Darren 
    3.Snyder 
    4.T.Scott
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aquamariner

Why is it that ComicVine no longer posts actually interesting news. I go to InsidePulse, Newsarama, CBR, they all have news... here? CRAP. And they want us to pay for crap? pffft.

CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

#14  Edited By CaptHowdy

Gawd no!  Please no Zemeckis this ain't the eighties anymore... this guy hasn't been relevant for twenty years!

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome!!  i said on screened alex proyas would be great for the job but i think zemeckis would be awesome as well!!

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aquamariner said:
    " Why is it that ComicVine no longer posts actually interesting news. I go to InsidePulse, Newsarama, CBR, they all have news... here? CRAP. And they want us to pay for crap? pffft. "
    how is this not news!!  whats your problem??
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Green Skin said:
    " As long as they get a better villian, and let Superman punch someone I don't care who directs it.  "

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tonis

with Robert, I'd certainly expect some impressive visuals and a more light-hearted group of characters and story. It could work for Superman. 

I think I'd rather see him do the Roger Rabbit sequel though.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By roadbuster

Zemeckis has some things going for him: 

1. He knows how to tell a sentimental story.  Superman is a difficult franchise because not only does it have to accomplish all the same action and heroic beats that other superhero films do without any of the oh-so-easy dysfunction as a shortcut to characterization, but people actually expect to be inspired, uplifted, or affected by Superman films in a way other franchises don't have to deal with.  Zemeckis continues to do stories that tug at the heart strings. 

2. He's comfortable with visual FX and collaborating.  Let's face it, many of the Superman sequences are going to be all but computer generated and the truth is that a lot of directors out there don't know how to handle that... they're brilliant shooting practical shots or capturing certain FX, but once computers get involved they're lost.  I think it goes without saying Zemeckis is comfortable with computer generated content.  The same goes for action sequences and choreography.  A lot of directors just aren't cut out for action because it's a different language.  The Wachowskis, for example, happily collaborated with Hong Kong experts and the final product showed the fruits of both their expertise.  Zemeckis similarly knows how to delegate, but still influence, action sequences.  He doesn't try to do what he can't but he also isn't completely hands off. 

3. He wants to do it.  The WB has been courting a number of directors but there's always been something worrisome about that to me.  As a mercenary effort anyone can tell or do a Superman story (or Batman for that matter)... but it takes a certain kind of person to want to do it, a kind of person who considers themselves a "Superman Guy".  For example, Bruce Timm is, unquestionably, a Batman Guy.  That doesn't take away from his talent and ability, but it does mean that his adaptation of Superman is going to miss a certain quality that only with the intervention of Superman Guys (like Alan Burnett; or sometimes Dini) and fan input did they start to capture.  The best films are the product of passion (see Peter Jackson, etc).  And this is the biggest knock against Synder I think... he doesn't consider himself a Superman guy, declined the job once before, and even now doesn't really have confidence he can do it... if the WB can convince him to do it with a big enough pay check, I'm sure he'll be professional... but will he be passionate? 

4. He can do all-ages, he can do mythology.  Again Superman is a film that needs to have a certain level of broad appeal that even Batman can't have.  You need to be able to take a class of Sunday School kids to see Superman (who, presumably, need to see Dark Knight on their own time) but also a bunch of jaded teens too.  Obviously a lot of his fare has been all-ages so he knows how to dial into that audience... but at the same time he's not above violence, sex, and mythology (see Beowulf).  The mythology aspect to me is particularly important since I think a good Superman film isn't so much about making him a spin on the Marvel mutant- isolated, different, dysfunctional, rational, etc.- but being good at telling a great fable or myth... much like Forrest Gump.  It's more about the heart and right beats than rationality many times (see plot-hole-filled Back To The Future). 

The main downsides is that it's been a long time since he's done a live action film which might mean he's out of date with modern film making... leaning too heavily on computers could be detrimental.  Additionally, who's to say his interest isn't merely a cash in- wanting to be attached to a big franchise- rather than any passion for the project itself or in his own career... young or unestablished directors are often looking to perfect their craft and prove themselves on the most number of screens... an older director might be looking for a retirement fund and seeing this as a Batman Forever "opportunity".

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eyz
    @TheMess1428 said:
    " For the love of Rao, please choose Zack Snyder. "
    Zack Snyder? Oh..no.. Please..
    I don't want a slowmo-fest again! Specially for Supes!
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Magian
    @Green Skin said:
    " As long as they get a better villian, and let Superman punch someone I don't care who directs it.  "
    I would like to see those things happening in the new movie.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Magian

Btw, does anyone know when the new Superman movie is said to be released?

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have loved to have seen it. He hasn't really ever let me down. He's also extremely resourceful when it comes to making a movie.
    The only sad note this article gives me is it seems your info indicates he isn't planning any horror/thriller type titles in the future, which
    sucks because any of those he's done were solid gold.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Primmaster64

cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.