Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Off My Mind: The Difficulties of Making Superman Cool

Avatar image for deactivated-6030f931768b5
    deactivated-6030f931768b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

I think this article hinted at the real problem, Superman is TOO good he is the best, the fastest, the strongest etc,. It must be so difficult to think of fresh ways to challenge such a character.

captainspidey1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By captainspidey1

This is a great report

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By FanofUltraman

I like Superman. He doesn't have to have an interesting personality or whatever. He's just super. He can kill any of the other heroes with a whim. Regarding villains, the Crime Syndicate I thought was interesting. Having a guy with the same exact powers as Superman but only evil strikes me as cool and worth-reading. (Even if it is a bit corny.)

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#254  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

@sethysquare said:

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

@sethysquare said:

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

Batman, Spider-Man, Superman

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman

ok fine. lol

Hahaha! ;)

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

@DEGRAAF: VERY cool break down. You've given me high hopes for Superman's potential. I already had them but they're SUPER high now. Seriously.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By YoggSaron

@Jaymundo said:

I think this article hinted at the real problem, Superman is TOO good he is the best, the fastest, the strongest etc,. It must be so difficult to think of fresh ways to challenge such a character.

If a writer isn't challenged when writing their story then they aren't giving it everything they have.

Not to mention he's certainly not the fastest and strongest is debatable.

Avatar image for devourerofworlds
    devourerofworlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these reasons are exactly why Super Man is my one of if not the most hated comic characters of all time for myself. The psychological side of him might have a good story if there was a villain that broke him and took him into interesting areas but i don't think that will happen. Even though the Millar's "Supreme Power" was disliked by many, the Super Man character in that i found way more interesting.

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By mbembet

Batman is the reason why superman sucks

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By The Finality

Meh. the whole better story argument is invalid. It really depends what you're into. But all that aside, Superman is perfect thet way he is, they just need to be putting in his classic villains in the new 52 instead of focusing on new villains, We've seen Lex, Brainiac, Metallo, Parademons, Desaad, and Darkseid. But where's Toyman, Parasite, Atomic Skull, General Zod (or other Kryptonian criminals like him), Granny Goodness and The Furies, Kalibak, Steppenwolfe, Mongul, Live Wire, Bloodsport, Bruno Manheim and Intergang, Conduit, etc. And for the record, I actually enjoyed George Perez's first arc for The New 52 self-titled Superman book.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By 202122

Superman is to powerful... you know why Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine and the Fantastic 4 have the best villains? It's because they have so much more room to work with, they don't need cosmic abilities, super speed and strength, all they need is a good background, a decent writer and a good comic book plot.

Just sayin'

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By SandMan_
    @202122: Being powerful is Superman's thing. That's not what's killing him, this isn't the SA anymore. Having bad writers is what's killing him. And DC not learning to take risks is as well.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

@DEGRAAF: VERY cool break down. You've given me high hopes for Superman's potential. I already had them but they're SUPER high now. Seriously.

thanks. It wasnt supposed to be that long or in depth but once i started listing a few i started thinking how they could be tweaked to make it more interesting and more intertwined. THe Cadmus Black situation i came up with is probable what i am most pleased with out of the list. Using Cadmus you can come up with so many stories and twists. I think the problem is (and writers are doing it now but slowly) that their were so many characters through out the history of the DCU and to go back and put them all together and keep them fresh is hard. Just look at all the characters associated with Doosmdays past. If they combine all of his associated characters he could literally have a planet with multiple armies worth or population at his disposal. If they brought back the Doomsday clones, the parademons, and him using Daxamites as enforcers, he has an unstoppable army that gives him the reputation he is known for and deserves. He would be the destroyer/conqueror of Worlds of the DCU. His forces and level of power would be so great they could take on the likes of the GLC.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By DEGRAAF

A good story for Superman would be Mongul or Darkseid capturing him, torturing him physically and mentally while hauling him around the universe making him watch as they destroy civilizations or worlds while there is nothing he can do about it. Even at times they could put him on the planets locked up and blow the planets up making him the last survivor of multiple planets (in his mind) so he will always remember that no matter how much power he has he will never truly be able to help the people of the universe in any significant way and that he will eventually be left with nothing in the universe except for corpses and monsters

Thinking about this more i would love to see this story come to fruition. He has less ties to Lois so she wont be sitting at home worrying about how her husband is kidnapped and possibly dead. It could create stories for when Superman comes back and Lex is now the savior of the city in Supermans absence. The Justice League could try to rescue Superman and fail and maybe even give up bc they cant win until they get help from people like Big Barda. Makes an opening on the JL team. I would pick up Superman if that was the story (i would like to pick up Superman now if i could afford it)

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#264  Edited By kartron

Love this article. I totally agree with you. We need more serious and deep villains. He need not possess super powers but needs to be a challenge to Superman. AND YES, I do agree, Superman deserves much better stories than what New 52 is spinning out....

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#265  Edited By Queso6p4

I'm not an active Superman fan but I have mad respect for him. To me, one of the best quotes about Superman can be found in Hush, "Even more than Kryptonite, he's got one big weakness. Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person..." I love that he's a moral compass and uncompromising in his values. When he showed up in Batman: Noel he was literally glowing with goodness and warmth; it was an amazing and inspired appearance. The question is, do these traits shine through in his current books? Let's see his glowing example shine through so that others can desire to be like him. I saw a lot of heart felt, passionate defenses for Superman but few addressed how their points are being illustrated, if at all, in the current books. If they haven't, then things have derailed and need to get back on track to do the Man of Steel and his fans some justice, just like G-Man said. In this increasingly dark and gritty world some light is welcome, but shouldn't it shine at its brightest so it can do the most good?

Labeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Labeeb

This article is exactly what I usually think. As a kid I loved superman from movies, cartoons & action figures. I never read any comics then. When I read his comics after 2000s I didn't like many. The only story I liked was by Jeph Loeb. The recent Superman stories from 52 have been boring for me. However the recent issues by Dan Jurgens/Keith Giffen have been interesting. I hate Grant Morrison's run on Superman (I love his work on Batman though) & George Perez couldn't do much either specially 'cause Morrison & DC never told him much about the stories in Action Comics. People including me loved Smallville. IMO they need to get him out of Metropolis & send him to smallville, add Lana to the stories & make humans his villians or the write about how Krypton can bring trouble to town folk in different ways like in the first seasons of smallville. Plus, it should be written by Jeph Loeb after Morrison's leave.

wiley1josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By wiley1josh

Superman is the light to the darkness in comics. Comics just can't be dark all the time. Superman is about hope. In this world hope is a great thing. As Bibbo would say he's my favorite!!!

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

@DEGRAAF: You meant Darkseid instead of Doomsday right?

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#269  Edited By Jekylhyde14

Honestly, I think Morrison's killing it in Action Comics. That book is the best that Superman's been in awhile and it's been in the top ten of comics sold every month except June (it hit 13, so sue Morrison) since the new 52 began. For the first five or six months it was the #3 selling book. That's amazing considering both Superman titles were slugging it down in the 40's on the sales charts pre-new 52. I'm only worried about what happens after Morrison leaves. The writer they pick to replace him had better work with the book's good momentum. As far as I'm concerned, Morrison's social crusader Superman IS cool.

NvidiaRocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By NvidiaRocks

52 Superman is much better than before

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

@DEGRAAF: You meant Darkseid instead of Doomsday right?

what do you mean? My last post talked about Mongul or Darksied

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

@Jekylhyde14 said:

Honestly, I think Morrison's killing it in Action Comics. That book is the best that Superman's been in awhile and it's been in the top ten of comics sold every month except June (it hit 13, so sue Morrison) since the new 52 began. For the first five or six months it was the #3 selling book. That's amazing considering both Superman titles were slugging it down in the 40's on the sales charts pre-new 52. I'm only worried about what happens after Morrison leaves. The writer they pick to replace him had better work with the book's good momentum. As far as I'm concerned, Morrison's social crusader Superman IS cool.

Morrison leaving the superhero genre as a whole is going to leave a gap in the industry. My man from Dial H should take over Action. Just sayin'.

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

@DEGRAAF said:

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

thanks. It wasnt supposed to be that long or in depth but once i started listing a few i started thinking how they could be tweaked to make it more interesting and more intertwined. THe Cadmus Black situation i came up with is probable what i am most pleased with out of the list. Using Cadmus you can come up with so many stories and twists. I think the problem is (and writers are doing it now but slowly) that their were so many characters through out the history of the DCU and to go back and put them all together and keep them fresh is hard. Just look at all the characters associated with Doosmdays past. If they combine all of his associated characters he could literally have a planet with multiple armies worth or population at his disposal. If they brought back the Doomsday clones, the parademons, and him using Daxamites as enforcers, he has an unstoppable army that gives him the reputation he is known for and deserves. He would be the destroyer/conqueror of Worlds of the DCU. His forces and level of power would be so great they could take on the likes of the GLC.

My bad,I should have specified. This part confused me a bit... if you wanna clarify that would be cool.

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#274  Edited By Thorion88

@Mr_Wayne69: Grant Morrison is leaving the superhero genre completely? Wow, did he give a reason for doing that? Or did he mention how long is leave of absence will be?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

@DEGRAAF said:

@Mr_Wayne69 said:

My bad,I should have specified. This part confused me a bit... if you wanna clarify that would be cool.

oh, no i mean Doomsday clones from the arc where Kara Zor-el comes to earth and is eventually taken by Darkseid. He uses a army of Doomsday clones as a diversion to kill harbinger and kidnap Kara.

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

@Thorion88 said:

@Mr_Wayne69: Grant Morrison is leaving the superhero genre completely? Wow, did he give a reason for doing that? Or did he mention how long is leave of absence will be?

Yeah check the CBR articles. He gave a cool interview and spoke in depth about a few future indy projects. He wants to focus on more indy stuff, which is cool. A re-energized Morrison is what the superhero genre needs.

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

Ah, yes. Got ya.

Kesho_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#278  Edited By Kesho_Ronin

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/08/10/announcing-hel-on-earth this will be cool

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sabracadabra: Superman beat up Thor in that Marvel/DC crossover so no surpirse.

syoungkeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By syoungkeezy

@wildcardcomics said:

Powers & Physics. One of the biggest problems with many writers is that they don’t research enough Science to make it believable and thus create tension. For example, if a bad guy attacks a commercial airplane from the outside and a few stewardess are blown outside, Superman needs to re-seal the pressure on the cockpit, so his super-breath could do that. But the fallen stewardess need rescue, however the human body can only withstand so much pressure from G-force that Superman would have to bring them inside the plane rather than accelerated downwards to the ground landing each to safety. Superman can fly fast, but at some point human ribcages collapse if we fly too fast. Then, if he wants to steer the damaged plane, he can’t just lift or push into it because his power would just puncture the haul because the energy would be distributed only to the point of pressure. Steering could be a major problem, the wings could cause the plane to nose dive or spin out of control; he could remove the wings but risks further maneuverability issues. One way to ’safely’ land, is to remove the combustible airplane wings that often house the fuel, then below 10,000 where the oxygen is more prominent he could create an ice cocoon from his super-breath to create a protective structure for an emergency landing; he could even add more ice at the bottom-center to make it more manageable.

Personality. As a legal-Alien myself, I can tell you I can identify myself to Superman, but not sure many people want to. He’s an Alien, rural-farmer country folk, and a nerdy reporter uncomfortable in the big city. That doesn’t appeal to the spoiled bitchy selfish ironic pop-culture savvy characters that seems to be the standard of cool to many hard-core nerds, it seems any deviation of this is too much work for the reader and therefore lame; which is no surprise most act like this regardless of coming off immature. Superman needs more observational narrative the way Rorschach had in Watchmen (only observational narrative - not the tone, violence, or messed up views), Inner Thought Bubbles can leads us into the mind of Superman. “Why do the fat humans order non-fat lattes but keep gaining weight?” or “This hotdog meat, I saw it running on the subway last Monday along with it’s fellow rodents” or “why is that nerd wearing a superman shirt yet he contradicts the logo by being a homophobe troll online?” or “this city smells like pee, but no one suggests more public bathrooms”. Yes for the most part he is a do-gooder, but that hasn’t stopped our Troops from conveying interesting stories, nor our local police or fire-fighters and coming off relatable. And the best time I’ve spent talking to all these three groups come from their everyday observations. So a man who can fly and see through walls, would have some pretty damn good stories to tell.

The Journalist. You know how all that news stuff thingie is like totally boring, lame, and like omg annoying? Actually no. Maybe to someone who lives in a bubble, any news from outside said bubble is a downer. But with Wiki-Leaks, the Arab spring, the collapse of printed papers in the developed world, and the newfound liberation of the internet in 3rd world countries…there has never been a better time to be a journalist in a fictionalized manner. 45 killed and 35 missing journalists in Mexico alone last year, 140 since 2003 in Iraq, and that’s just two places to write about. This is the brilliant part of Superman, it’s creators made him a Reporter for a reason, to divulge the injustice of the age and to make kids aware of it. Concealing said evil results in a man-child society that seldom feels worth, and asks why the terrorist hate us without ever giving a damn outside of their pop-culture bubble. How can we demand Superman to be realistic and relatable if we shy away from the real gritty reports Journalist Clark Kent might give us?

Enemies. Superman can just beat anybody right? Sure, just like we can put a bullet into the skull of every person we don’t like, but that doesn’t make it right or solves all problems. In the classic Novel (Movie) Star Ship Troopers we’re given a glimpse into a pseudo-fascist regime thinking violence and superiority being better for solving problems -“force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived”. The book is mocking this, just like 1984 mocked the concept of Big-Brother. Superman was created against this view that physical superiority expressed in violence automatically makes the individual a better person. Superman can prevent a suicidal bomber from going off, but he can’t stop the hate. He can prevent Lex from his plans, but without proof no court system will jail Luthor. He can destroy Brainiac, but is unable to stop us humans from wiping out species that we’ve made extinct and are only viewable on the internet. Superman has the great villains, the problem is, many writers can’t attach a villain to a great concept and execute it properly because they have to dumb down the stories; which results in fan-favorite brawls. I grew up with the Columbine Generation, so being a nerd and somewhat being picked on, I was disgusted that those two would shoot up a school out of frustration. Superman is a nerd like us, and yeah he could punch out a guy into the sky as we can shoot anyone, but the point is being better than using violence to overcome problems.

Iconography. When Grant Morrison showcased All-Star Superman, he was able to showcase an Icon with groundbreaking ability as a writer, he showed the why of Superman. Everyday writers need to take the Icon and use it for social commentary. For instance, with the salary of a Journalist Clark Kent would live in a crappy apartment. Sure, that is obvious. But what if instead he broke into Condominiums, Lofts, Luxury Townhouses when their yuppie or wealthy elite owners were away on business? It’s not like he’d steal anything, he’d just use the bed to sleep, the bathroom to brush his teeth, etc. With his Super-Man abilities, he could listen into conversations and figure out a schedule to be able to live comfortably in the 1% houses within Metropolis, a sort of Robin Hood nod to the Social Crusader origins of Superman. The story could get out, and the Media might try to make Superman a bad guy, but the support of the people might give them an excuse to place a red piece of cloth outside their Metropolis run down blue-collar apartment when the 99%ers not using it so Superman can crash at said place when the owners are away. No one would rob your place if you did that in Metropolis, they might think “oh man, Superman might be there”. And for little kids reading this in the real world everywhere, leaving a red cloth hanging from their window could be like leaving Santa Cookies on Christmas. For us adult readers, it’s like, Superman can live with us, we welcome him because he is one of us.

that last paragraph of yours is something Dc writers need to think about great idea

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF: I for one HATE superman but you might be on to something.

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By batmanary

@syoungkeezy said:

@wildcardcomics said:

Powers & Physics. One of the biggest problems with many writers is that they don’t research enough Science to make it believable and thus create tension. For example, if a bad guy attacks a commercial airplane from the outside and a few stewardess are blown outside, Superman needs to re-seal the pressure on the cockpit, so his super-breath could do that. But the fallen stewardess need rescue, however the human body can only withstand so much pressure from G-force that Superman would have to bring them inside the plane rather than accelerated downwards to the ground landing each to safety. Superman can fly fast, but at some point human ribcages collapse if we fly too fast. Then, if he wants to steer the damaged plane, he can’t just lift or push into it because his power would just puncture the haul because the energy would be distributed only to the point of pressure. Steering could be a major problem, the wings could cause the plane to nose dive or spin out of control; he could remove the wings but risks further maneuverability issues. One way to ’safely’ land, is to remove the combustible airplane wings that often house the fuel, then below 10,000 where the oxygen is more prominent he could create an ice cocoon from his super-breath to create a protective structure for an emergency landing; he could even add more ice at the bottom-center to make it more manageable.

Personality. As a legal-Alien myself, I can tell you I can identify myself to Superman, but not sure many people want to. He’s an Alien, rural-farmer country folk, and a nerdy reporter uncomfortable in the big city. That doesn’t appeal to the spoiled bitchy selfish ironic pop-culture savvy characters that seems to be the standard of cool to many hard-core nerds, it seems any deviation of this is too much work for the reader and therefore lame; which is no surprise most act like this regardless of coming off immature. Superman needs more observational narrative the way Rorschach had in Watchmen (only observational narrative - not the tone, violence, or messed up views), Inner Thought Bubbles can leads us into the mind of Superman. “Why do the fat humans order non-fat lattes but keep gaining weight?” or “This hotdog meat, I saw it running on the subway last Monday along with it’s fellow rodents” or “why is that nerd wearing a superman shirt yet he contradicts the logo by being a homophobe troll online?” or “this city smells like pee, but no one suggests more public bathrooms”. Yes for the most part he is a do-gooder, but that hasn’t stopped our Troops from conveying interesting stories, nor our local police or fire-fighters and coming off relatable. And the best time I’ve spent talking to all these three groups come from their everyday observations. So a man who can fly and see through walls, would have some pretty damn good stories to tell.

The Journalist. You know how all that news stuff thingie is like totally boring, lame, and like omg annoying? Actually no. Maybe to someone who lives in a bubble, any news from outside said bubble is a downer. But with Wiki-Leaks, the Arab spring, the collapse of printed papers in the developed world, and the newfound liberation of the internet in 3rd world countries…there has never been a better time to be a journalist in a fictionalized manner. 45 killed and 35 missing journalists in Mexico alone last year, 140 since 2003 in Iraq, and that’s just two places to write about. This is the brilliant part of Superman, it’s creators made him a Reporter for a reason, to divulge the injustice of the age and to make kids aware of it. Concealing said evil results in a man-child society that seldom feels worth, and asks why the terrorist hate us without ever giving a damn outside of their pop-culture bubble. How can we demand Superman to be realistic and relatable if we shy away from the real gritty reports Journalist Clark Kent might give us?

Enemies. Superman can just beat anybody right? Sure, just like we can put a bullet into the skull of every person we don’t like, but that doesn’t make it right or solves all problems. In the classic Novel (Movie) Star Ship Troopers we’re given a glimpse into a pseudo-fascist regime thinking violence and superiority being better for solving problems -“force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived”. The book is mocking this, just like 1984 mocked the concept of Big-Brother. Superman was created against this view that physical superiority expressed in violence automatically makes the individual a better person. Superman can prevent a suicidal bomber from going off, but he can’t stop the hate. He can prevent Lex from his plans, but without proof no court system will jail Luthor. He can destroy Brainiac, but is unable to stop us humans from wiping out species that we’ve made extinct and are only viewable on the internet. Superman has the great villains, the problem is, many writers can’t attach a villain to a great concept and execute it properly because they have to dumb down the stories; which results in fan-favorite brawls. I grew up with the Columbine Generation, so being a nerd and somewhat being picked on, I was disgusted that those two would shoot up a school out of frustration. Superman is a nerd like us, and yeah he could punch out a guy into the sky as we can shoot anyone, but the point is being better than using violence to overcome problems.

Iconography. When Grant Morrison showcased All-Star Superman, he was able to showcase an Icon with groundbreaking ability as a writer, he showed the why of Superman. Everyday writers need to take the Icon and use it for social commentary. For instance, with the salary of a Journalist Clark Kent would live in a crappy apartment. Sure, that is obvious. But what if instead he broke into Condominiums, Lofts, Luxury Townhouses when their yuppie or wealthy elite owners were away on business? It’s not like he’d steal anything, he’d just use the bed to sleep, the bathroom to brush his teeth, etc. With his Super-Man abilities, he could listen into conversations and figure out a schedule to be able to live comfortably in the 1% houses within Metropolis, a sort of Robin Hood nod to the Social Crusader origins of Superman. The story could get out, and the Media might try to make Superman a bad guy, but the support of the people might give them an excuse to place a red piece of cloth outside their Metropolis run down blue-collar apartment when the 99%ers not using it so Superman can crash at said place when the owners are away. No one would rob your place if you did that in Metropolis, they might think “oh man, Superman might be there”. And for little kids reading this in the real world everywhere, leaving a red cloth hanging from their window could be like leaving Santa Cookies on Christmas. For us adult readers, it’s like, Superman can live with us, we welcome him because he is one of us.

that last paragraph of yours is something Dc writers need to think about great idea

Those really are great ideas, but I disagree with the last paragraph. I've always been a proponent about Clark being out on the frontlines. He's a reporter, dammit! He should be out there! I remember stating one time, that Superman should be dedicated to bigger, bolder and more of that galactic feel we get from him, while Action Comics should put the focus on more in depth and personal stories with Clark Kent being at the forefront.

Avatar image for quirky_anecdotes
    quirky_anecdotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never got the insults thrown Mr. Mxyzptlk way. Seriously he's a damn fifth dimensional imp with the ability to manipulate reality.

Also , As much as I respect superman he shouldn't anywhere near the most powerful hero on earth. He shouldn't be more powerful then John Constantine or Zatanana or Shade , The Changing Man.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By DEGRAAF

@batmanary said:

@syoungkeezy said:

@wildcardcomics said:

Those really are great ideas, but I disagree with the last paragraph. I've always been a proponent about Clark being out on the frontlines. He's a reporter, dammit! He should be out there! I remember stating one time, that Superman should be dedicated to bigger, bolder and more of that galactic feel we get from him, while Action Comics should put the focus on more in depth and personal stories with Clark Kent being at the forefront.

I agree he should be on to bigger more galactic events and villains

9dragons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devourerofworlds:

A villain breaking superman down to his very core would never happen because superman at the end of the day has to be super. Superman greatest limitation is the boundaries that can never be cross and his powers, it simply his character and thus there is nothing we already don't know. The prior also the reason why fans get upset when comparing him to other kryptonians because any kryptonian can be superman with the same idealistic mindset. The superman in frank millers dark knight was interesting because it makes you question how far can his boy scout attitude be pushed. That superman was more relatable because there are real patriotic soldiers who behave that way. Superman is written with that missing realism spark.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This has been an interesting read

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.