Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Number one Reason Superman Returns Was absolutely terrible

• 51 results
    adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By adamrolls

When I went see Superman Returns, my hopes could not have been any higher. 
    I thought " Finally a new superman movie!!! After several decades they are finally giving the most iconic superhero his screen time. Man with the recent advances in special effects this movie is going to be...going to be ummm...well SUPER!!! "

Then I saw it. What a disappointment. At best the movie barely surfaced above mediocrity.  To its credit, the movie was a love letter to the Richard Donner movies and Christopher Reeves. That was the main issue with this film it worshiped the other movies to a fault. Dont get me wrong I loved the Reeve/Donner movies but Superman Returns' homage to the previous films styles just made me feel like should be watching the previous movies instead. 
    This is seen most symbollically with the lead actor.Brandon Routhe resembles reeves...very slightly...but the director tried to pull off every camera trick and angle to maximize that resemblance. They gave the actor very obvious blue eye contacts. For the whole film we didnt see Routhe act as Superman. We saw Routhe act as Christopher Reeves acting as superman. This copy performance results in a very diluted taste.
    This dilution is spread throughout the entire movie.
    Despite this...Despite superman stalking lois..Despite superman having a child with lois.. Despite all of that I could have forgiven the movie until

This...........

Behold the biggest "screw you" to the Fans!

Remember when Superman landed on the island and was immediately beaten by Luther and the thugs. It wasnt a graduate loss of power...The power loss was so quick superman didnt even realize had been depowered to the strength of a normal man
    I know when I'm watching a superman flick I have to check plausibility at the door , but when you establish that kryptonite weakens superman to the strength of a mortal man immediately, you better stick that parameter!!  
    Cut to 5 minutes later you see superman straight up lifting the Kryptonite Island with Kryptonite Crystal Phallic Symbols pointed right at face.
    How Is this Possible?
    No way did flying up in above the clouds for a little sunlight make him invincible to kryptonite. He had been exposed sunlight be fore and he was still depowered when he landed on the Island... How did this Happen?

Well this what I think happened. The writers wrote themselves into a corner. Luthor built a kryptonite island and supeman is completely depowered when he is around Kryptonite . The writers needed  a climactic resolution so they said "screw the rules we established earlier, Lets just have superman lift the Kryptonite Island"

Well Those are my thoughts ...What are yours on this movie
    darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By darkman61288

He had large chunks of earth to protect him.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skewer

I think my thoughts are summed up well as well as yours in this review. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOr1CbyG9so

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By adamrolls
    @darkman61288 said:

He had large chunks of earth to protect him.

where?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

Also Superman as Deadbeat dad/Creepy stalker didn't help

Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
    IfDCRuledTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IfDCRuledTheWorld

Lex Luthor and Lois Lane. Didn't do it for me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I can excuse the New Krypton lifting feat, what I can't excuse is Superman having a son by Lois, they shouldn't be able to cross species breed. Also, Lex wasn't at all intimidating...then again, he wasn't in the original Superman film either. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Michael Rosenbaum is the best live action Lex ever.

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By adamrolls
    @Skewer: just saw it... good video..right on man. 
    but btw I think Lois whispered to superman that the kid was his when he was in the hospital
    Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Press Oblivion

This wasn't the reason that the movie was poorly received . . . no one wanted an addition to a 25+ year old franchise with the same Villain and a Superbaby . . . there so many misfires in this movie that they this scene you're spotting here was actually one of the greatest moments in the film.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Urban_Ronin

Though it had major flaws and was quite disappointing, I still watch it whenever its on....

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By Teerack

That's your number one reason? How about the acting, the story, over all failure to establish any character depth?

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Skewer

I forgot to include this video earlier which corrects one of the mistakes made by our faithful reviewer http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nit8TyzkQds

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adamrolls
    @Press Oblivion: @Press Oblivion said:

This wasn't the reason that the movie was poorly received . . . no one wanted an addition to a 25+ year old franchise with the same Villain and a Superbaby . . . there so many misfires in this movie that they this scene you're spotting here was actually one of the greatest moments in the film.

The vision of superman lifting an lsland is awesome...except it's made of Kryptonite.
    The movie has several flaws before this but if feel those things of are rumbles that lead to the explosion of logical discrepancy.
    adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adamrolls
    @Teerack: @Teerack said:

That's your number one reason? How about the acting, the story, over all failure to establish any character depth?

I know the acting..the story...character depth... but that scene kills me every time! Teerack he visibly has kryptonite in has face...he should not be able to lift an island. How are the writers going to set an obstacle/weakness for a character ...and then say nevermind. Whats next bullets bounce off achilles' ankle, samson lifting horses while sporting a buzz cut?
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I honestly feel this movie gets more hate than it deserves. Was it perfect? No movie is, but I really believe this movie was heading in the right direction for what Superman movies need to be. The whole catching a plane was epic, Superman saving all of Metropolis was also pretty epic and showed just how much quick thinking he could be. Show casing how Superman literally could hear EVERYTHING going on in the world, yet through all of the chaos could still be there to stop a runaway car. I mean the showcase of his various abilities, I felt, were displayed pretty well and made for some great scenes in the movie.

Really, the only thing I personally hated in the movie was the kid...the kid shouldn't have been there... -__- But everything else I felt were great and still feel this film is picked on more than it should be.

War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By War07

I really hated when superman having child with lois.Kryptonian cant have children with a human!!!

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 80sBaby

@The Stegmansaid:

I can excuse the New Krypton lifting feat, what I can't excuse is Superman having a son by Lois, they shouldn't be able to cross species breed. Also, Lex wasn't at all intimidating...then again, he wasn't in the original Superman film either. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Michael Rosenbaum is the best live action Lex ever.

@War07 said:

I really hated when superman having child with lois.Kryptonian cant have children with a human!!!

That's not true.

Depends on the continuity and the SR universe never claimed that humans and kryptonians are genetically incompatible.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Kal'smahboi

The whole point of that scene was his resilience. He was weakened terribly when he landed on the island, which is why he went UNDER the island, in order to lift it to space via the earth that it was imbedded in. The Kryptonite pieces started to expand through the rock near the END of that attempt and he fought through it, though it was killing him. And it nearly did.

War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By War07

@80sBaby: I mean in the comic books!!

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 80sBaby

@War07 said:

@80sBaby: I mean in the comic books!!

Why would you bring up the comics continuity in a thread about the movie?

And, even in the comics, it depends on the continuity. There are Elseworlds and future storylines where Clark and Lois do have children. So, it's not without precedent.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@adamrolls: I think that scene was not a "screw you" but more showcasing his resilience. I personally do not like the movie though it was badly acted, I didn't like the cross species superkid, and the movie failed in the character depth department. I am cautiously optimistic for the Man of Steel though.

War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By War07

@80sBaby: I thought the movie are made from comic.

The only story I know Lois and Clark have a child together is When Ever Happen to the Man of Tomorrow? And the another is the Adventures of Superman where lois died carrying Superman's child!!

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 80sBaby

@War07: Why would you think that? The movies always make adjustments to accommodate the story/medium. They never match up 100% with the comics.

And have you read DC 1 Million? Remember, Superman and Lois had descendants. And Geoff Johns retconned Conner into being half-human/half-kryptonians. Both these evens were canon to Pre-FP DC.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe said:

Also Superman as Deadbeat dad/Creepy stalker didn't help

This was the worst part.  

The actual lifting of the Kryptonite island wasn't that bad, since he sundipped like crazy before doing it. He was probably at like 400% of his standard maximum when he did that.
    War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By War07

@80sBaby: No I havent Read DC 1Million.Is it good?

Avatar image for shadow_swordsman
    Shadow Swordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shadow Swordsman

@adamrolls said:

Everything but Lex.

I have condensed your post to a proper size for the masses.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 80sBaby

@War07 said:

@80sBaby: No I havent Read DC 1Million.Is it good?

Yes, very good.

I suggest you get the trades.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By z3ro180

*faceplam* this movie gets so much undeserved hate from people that just jump on a band wagon and pick up thing that have already been thrown at it. The movie was exactly what it was meant to be a homage to the past movies that it was a sequel too.In terms of acting the actors did a great job Brandon Roth was a great Clark Kent / Superman Kevin spacey was a great Lex Luther and who ever played Louis lane was great too. Now on to the kid.Superman was away for five years at the start of the movie so he was away when Louis gave birth and didn't find out about his son till much later on in the film and lois most luckily knew but didn't want to say anything cause every one was happy with the current arrangement. So I'll end on this judge a movie any movie on its own merest and form your own opinion don't go on a website and bitch about something that has been bitched about well over a 100 times....now I'm going to make a cup of tea

Avatar image for herofromkrypton
    HeroFromKrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HeroFromKrypton

It's kind of an anally retentive reason to make this the number one reason the movie was bad. So you're saying that if there hadn't been chunks of kryptonite jutting through the bottom of the island around Superman, that would have made up for the fact that the movie was 2 hours of wasted potential and dullness?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By colonyofcells

I did not like the spandex costume and the glasses disguise which was just too silly in live action. I also don't like kryptonite which makes superman look dumb. Nothing much happened in the movie and it was like a one hour tv show that will continue next week. Most episodes of the Smallville tv show were actually more interesting than the movie.

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By adamrolls

@HeroFromKrypton: @HeroFromKrypton said:

It's kind of an anally retentive reason to make this the number one reason the movie was bad. So you're saying that if there hadn't been chunks of kryptonite jutting through the bottom of the island around Superman, that would have made up for the fact that the movie was 2 hours of wasted potential and dullness?

I don't think I'm being nit picky. Kryptonite is a major part of the superman Mythos. Hell!...In this same movie it shows this. And  it even shows how quickly it weakens him. For them to take the already established weakness of a character and make it a major obstacle  in the climax  of the film and have him just "will power" his way through it seems like BS to me. Kinda like the reason people don't like sparkly vampires.
    adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By adamrolls
    @TheAmazingImmortalMan: @TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

@adamrolls: I think that scene was not a "screw you" but more showcasing his resilience. I personally do not like the movie though it was badly acted, I didn't like the cross species superkid, and the movie failed in the character depth department. I am cautiously optimistic for the Man of Steel though.

I could see how this is their way of showcasing his resilience but i think it was poorly displayed. It just seems like cheat to me that he just straight up lifted a kryptonite island. It was "Oh no Kryptonite weakens me  sooo much... " then "  You know what? Even though the Kryptonite weakens me to point that i have no powers..immediately!... I could use my hidden superwill power to just throw this island into space."

I've heard that had earth seperating him and the kryptonite . If that were the case, that would be pretty cool...but as you can tell in the movie he is very much exposed to Kryptonite.
    RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33  Edited By RedOwl_1

I saw it when I was about 11, I bored to death.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Eternal19

It was just boring. I always found it kinda odd how they can make a boring movie about a character whos main book is titled "ACTION COMICS".

spetsnaz_gru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spetsnaz_gru

I viewed that as a feat of Superman's perseverance and tenacity.

SR was terrible not also because of the acting. Routh was not bad. He was just given a few lines. It wasn't his fault. I'd rather blame the casting. They were too young.

SR was terrible because of the lack of action and the lovechild and the overuse of Luthor.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By Phaedrusgr

The film was terrible in general, while it could be decent enough or even better, it could be great. The main problem in my point of view? It wasn't interesting. I thought I was watching Superman 1 all over again with some additions that were making it even more dull and quite frankly more pointless and stupid. I liked Routh as Supes/Clark. I wanted to watch a second Superman effort with him. Never happened. C'est la vie. Let's see what happens with Man of Steel (crossing fingers).

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toptom

the costume was not great,superman's hair were ridiculous(i just don't get why superman must use a fuck##g ton of gel)but the main problem is that it was..boring.there was no conflict ,supes just liftted stuff most of the times thoug it was amazing when he pulled the island into space or when he stopped the plane.

however it wasn't SO bad as many people believe. i just hope that MOS will be different,more action,a better and more modern costume,henry cavil as superman and a very god director who knwos the meaning of the word :epic.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skewer

I also want to add that even if the island wasn't made of kryptonite it would still be physically impossible since it would crumble completely and it actually goes against the laws of physics and he'd be lucky if he could get the whole island off by himself because it would i fact require a whole team of kryptonians to lift that thing.

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By adamrolls
    @Skewer: @Skewer said:
    I also want to add that even if the island wasn't made of kryptonite it would still be physically impossible since it would crumble completely and it actually goes against the laws of physics and he'd be lucky if he could get the whole island off by himself because it would i fact require a whole team of kryptonians to lift that thing.
    Would completely agree except in some depiction superman has "tactile telekinisis" that allows him to lift things up without it crumbling...But you got to dig deep for that middle finger to Isaac newton
    Yeah man could superman lift the earth too with his barehands ? or would he just burrow right through
    colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By colonyofcells

I have to agree some of the Superman stunts are just too unscientific so adults can't take Superman seriously.

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By adamrolls
    @colonyofcells: @colonyofcells said:

I have to agree some of the Superman stunts are just too unscientific so adults can't take Superman seriously.

Agreed colony of cells. 
    And I can definitely check disbelief at the door when it comes to comics because:
    • sure he can fly
    • sure he has heat vision
    • sure he moves super-fast
    • sure he can unbelievably large heavy things
    • Sure he has tactile telekinesis  to keep the unbelievably large objects from crumbling under his own weight
    • So this guy can do whatever he wants..hmmm I don't think you'll get much dramatic tension from stories built around him...oh wait he has a weakness? wow it weakens him immediately? and could kill him?..wow thats interesting.
    • Oh wait it doesn't weaken him if he tries really really really hard.. and doesn't give up...and believes in himself...and uses the power of love... and all the children in the world clap for him

So for me its hard to look away from the established logic of that character
    Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kal'smahboi said:

The whole point of that scene was his resilience. He was weakened terribly when he landed on the island, which is why he went UNDER the island, in order to lift it to space via the earth that it was imbedded in. The Kryptonite pieces started to expand through the rock near the END of that attempt and he fought through it, though it was killing him. And it nearly did.

This, also he Sun dipped before the attempt and he got closer to the sun (or at least less filtering) as he was being exposed and he was in orbit once he was exposed - so leaving earth's gravity, meaning less gravity (as you move away from the Earth's core). Also, OP is overlooking the basics which is; this was done for emphasis (on his resilience).

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamrolls
    @drgnx: Yes i get  that he exposed himself to the sun before the "feat"...but he was exposed to the sun before this. So he went a little bit above the clouds he gets more and got some sunshine. i suppose it would make him stronger. But the kryptonite is an off switch to his powers... its not a gradual loss of power... atleast  thats how they show it in the movie.
    Superman landed on the island he was powerless immediate. He came there being able to fly...use heat vision...lift heavy ..things and once he landed he was beaten up like three guys...
    This is the same superman from superman 1 with reeves right? in that one luthor put the kryptonite necklace on him and he was drowning in water... again super man flew and superburrowed himself into the lair..he was obviously energized enough to do that effortlessy . Then he is exposed to kryptonite and is immediately weakened.

I get that they were trying to show resilience but they just made it silly.
    TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheDude123

@adamrolls said:

When I went see Superman Returns, my hopes could not have been any higher.
    I thought " Finally a new superman movie!!! After several decades they are finally giving the most iconic superhero his screen time. Man with the recent advances in special effects this movie is going to be...going to be ummm...well SUPER!!! "

Then I saw it. What a disappointment. At best the movie barely surfaced above mediocrity. To its credit, the movie was a love letter to the Richard Donner movies and Christopher Reeves. That was the main issue with this film it worshiped the other movies to a fault. Dont get me wrong I loved the Reeve/Donner movies but Superman Returns' homage to the previous films styles just made me feel like should be watching the previous movies instead.
    This is seen most symbollically with the lead actor.Brandon Routhe resembles reeves...very slightly...but the director tried to pull off every camera trick and angle to maximize that resemblance. They gave the actor very obvious blue eye contacts. For the whole film we didnt see Routhe act as Superman. We saw Routhe act as Christopher Reeves acting as superman. This copy performance results in a very diluted taste.
    This dilution is spread throughout the entire movie.
    Despite this...Despite superman stalking lois..Despite superman having a child with lois.. Despite all of that I could have forgiven the movie until

This...........

Behold the biggest "screw you" to the Fans!

Remember when Superman landed on the island and was immediately beaten by Luther and the thugs. It wasnt a graduate loss of power...The power loss was so quick superman didnt even realize had been depowered to the strength of a normal man
    I know when I'm watching a superman flick I have to check plausibility at the door , but when you establish that kryptonite weakens superman to the strength of a mortal man immediately, you better stick that parameter!!
    Cut to 5 minutes later you see superman straight up lifting the Kryptonite Island with Kryptonite Crystal Phallic Symbols pointed right at face.
    How Is this Possible?
    No way did flying up in above the clouds for a little sunlight make him invincible to kryptonite. He had been exposed sunlight be fore and he was still depowered when he landed on the Island... How did this Happen? Well this what I think happened. The writers wrote themselves into a corner. Luthor built a kryptonite island and supeman is completely depowered when he is around Kryptonite . The writers needed a climactic resolution so they said "screw the rules we established earlier, Lets just have superman lift the Kryptonite Island" Well Those are my thoughts ...What are yours on this movie

He flew into space where our magnetic field and ozone layer do not block any of the sun and saturated himself with solar energy. it made sense to me that it would take time for the kryptonite to sap his p[owers and strength. And he wasn't 9nvulnerable to the Kryptonite. It eventually sent him into a coma.

I didn't have a problem with that, I had a problem with there being no super-villain for him to slug it out with.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamrolls said:

@drgnx: Yes i get that he exposed himself to the sun before the "feat"...but he was exposed to the sun before this. So he went a little bit above the clouds he gets more and got some sunshine. i suppose it would make him stronger. But the kryptonite is an off switch to his powers... its not a gradual loss of power... atleast thats how they show it in the movie.Superman landed on the island he was powerless immediate. He came there being able to fly...use heat vision...lift heavy ..things and once he landed he was beaten up like three guys... This is the same superman from superman 1 with reeves right? in that one luthor put the kryptonite necklace on him and he was drowning in water... again super man flew and superburrowed himself into the lair..he was obviously energized enough to do that effortlessy . Then he is exposed to kryptonite and is immediately weakened. I get that they were trying to show resilience but they just made it silly.

Well, you are assuming it was an instant switch, but it could also just be that it drains quicker at his normal power levels, but when charged he has a bit more leeway, depending on how much he has charged (think of draining a tank), that and he could have dug deeper into his reserves to further stave off the effects. Then on top of this, it was probably exaggerated in the movie, a little, for effect.

At the end of the day, K has always been a plot device, it is the same in the comics, so not sure why it would surprise you that it is used like this in the movie.

IvanHundric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's bad enough that Superman lifts the Kryptonite continent but they got the whole crystal thing wrong. In the first Superman only the green crystal was used to create Superman's home. And then in the second one (in both the theatrical and Richard Donner cut pretty much) he uses the green crystal to get his power back. The clear crystals were just mostly recorded information, except for the parts when they had a heart to heart talk with him about becoming human.
    Really late reply but I just rewatched th movie last night to see if it was a bad as I remember. And it was.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was just so f'n boring.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Trying to force Lois Lane into a story and making a story revolve around her.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Nice to see that old threads are bumped instead of creating new ones. It happens a lot lately and I like it.

As for the topic. No that isn't the number one reason imo. The horrible son/deadbeat dad sub-plot is.

Oh, man it was horrible.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The sub plots, the acting, the story, the plot holes, Singer wasn't performing at his best when he made Superman Returns. He tried to copy Donner too much and the writers made too much of a mess of the overall narrative and characters in this story. Superman leaving Earth for 5 years was dumb too. Still, at least the plane rescuing scene was superbly shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.