Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Nolan Leads Superman Reboot

• 56 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

The man who began Batman and then darkened his knight will now lead the Man of Steel back up into the sky.   DARK KNIGHT director Christopher Nolan has been hired by Warner Brothers to guide the new Superman movie they’ve been trying to make since 2006…

Could it be? Nah...
     Could it be? Nah...

Relax, now.   It doesn’t look like Mr. Nolan will actually be directing this.   

More like this, please.
     More like this, please.

Instead he’ll be a “godfather” to the production.   I don’t know if that means he’ll be producing or executive producing, or if this is an entirely new kind of job title that will run in the credits.    Maybe he’ll be make possible financiers an offer they can’t refuse, ah?

How will SUPERMAN RETURNS relate to this?   According to one of Nikki Finke’s cadre of insider sources… the film “would definitely not be a follow-up."  Another source went into more detail,  saying…

“It Nolan [sic] coming on board follows a hiatus period for Superman after that 2006 reboot as the studio tried to figure out whether or not to make a sequel to that version starring Brandon Routh directed by Bryan Singer. As recently as this summer, Warner Bros was still contemplating how to proceed. We were told that ‘Bryan or Brandon are not completely out of it yet.’ But Warner Bros doesn't have a handle yet on it, either.”

The franchise has been dogged with various false starts over the years, with Tim Burton and Brent Ratner being attached as directors and Nicholas Cage and Josh Hartnet being attached as stars.  I recall some statement a while back about the Wachowski Brothers even getting brought on to revamp the series, as well.  After all of that, a source at Warner Bros. shared...

“We know what we don't want to do. But we don't know what we want to do. We learned a lot from the last movie, and we want to get it right this time."  

Look at that point.  The man's got VISION.
     Look at that point.  The man's got VISION.

While the last thing I want to see is a Superman movie that’s as restrained and down-to-Earth as the new Batman movies, I’ve learned to trust in Nolan.   DARK KNIGHT was my favorite flick of ‘08, THE PRESTIGE my favorite of ’06 and I’m seriously pumped for this summer’s INCEPTION.   Even if he's only "godfathering" this project, the guy knows what he’s doing.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Oh no! ...so that comic book fear of every superhero becoming Nolan-Batman real-world dark, no matter how inappropriate or inaccurate that is, may be coming true? ...sigh! Nolan is a fantastic director with a lot of talent, but characters like Spider-Man, Superman, Fantastic Four, and numerous others just aren't dark noir atmospheric or macabre in any way.    

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MemnochZERO

Yeah if they do keep Routh (and they should), I hope they can keep Spacey too, though I really have no interest in seeing ANOTHER movie with Lex Luthor as the villain. More importantly get rid of Kate Bosworth, she made the last one painful to watch. i mean, Superkid and Kryponite Island were pretty bad, but nothing compared to the shittiest rendering of Lois Lane, ever. 
    As for Nolan, I just think they need a guy hanging around to tell them "no this will look stupid on film, you've gotta change it", and for my money, he's the best guy for the job. He's cerebral and mature in his filmmaking and how he shapes a project and he understands how to tell a STORY. All good things when it comes to both adapting comics for the screen, and filmmaking in general.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

I wonder how realistic and dark Nolan will make Superman?

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Paragon

I think Nolan is going to be there as just an advisor on how the story should progress. He's made some great movies, but it doesn't nessisarily have to mean Superman's going to get a realistic, darker tone. Looking at Nolan's Batman films, notice how he used the themes of fear (Begins), and chaos (Dark Knight). I think WB wants Nolan there to help inject those ideals into the Superman film, only using something more like hope, or something more Superman-esque.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goldenkey

the guy is a master.  Just watched Memento the other day for the first time in a few years and forgot just how damn brilliant the movie was.  You could watch the movie backwards and it makes sense.  Just silly.  I don't have to say how good the Batman movies are another of his movies Insomnia speaks for itself when it has 3 oscar winning actors in the movie.   Plus the story is great.  The Prestige is a bit of an acquired taste, but I thought it was fabulous.
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Here's an idea put Lobo as the villain and that can lead into his movie

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF

i think they just put his name to it so people will get behind this movie finally
    SuperRush24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperRush24

This is good news....as long as they draw from a comic series and not from the old Superman movies....they were good...for their era but not good for this era....

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey

What villians do you people want to see.  I have a feeling It'll be a bit like Superman Begins.  I think it will have a gritty style to it.  Why couldn't it work for Superman.  Superman has been in plenty of Batman comic books and it worked out why not in a movie as well?  What villians do you people want and who to play them.  Id like Brainian but you know Lex is gonna be in it.  I just don't want Spacey, I want a darker more baratone voiced actor in it.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
    now this is interesting
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#11  Edited By lostlantern13

You know, Metropolis can be dark and gritty, so long as Superman isn't.  

I believe in Christopher Nolan. 

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By They Killed Cap!

He won't take it dark...what he will do is make it real. He does this very very well. 

I am glad to hear this.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Nolan tries to make Superhero movies realistic how is going to do that with an alien that shoots lasers out it's eyes?

Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Riezner

Very pumped to hear about this, especially considering the implications it will have on a possible Superman/Batman flick down the road.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By AtPhantom

So we are getting a reboot finally? 

That's great news. I have faith in Nolan seeing that Superman can't be cast in the Dark and gritty mold. Still I wonder who will actually be directing this.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn
    Superman Reboot is fine with me... as long as we get a new villian... NO MORE LEX LUTHOR  !!!!!!
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck

I bet Batman's pissed. 

No Caption Provided
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AtPhantom
    @King Saturn said:
    " Superman Reboot is fine with me... as long as we get a new villian... NO MORE LEX LUTHOR  !!!!!! "
    I like Lex. He was one of the only good things in the last one lol.

But I think he should be pushed back into the background, and have another main villain as his opponent.
    Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Chane

Interesting... as long as it doesn't interfere with Batman.

Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Argentino_18

I want Zod in...  (Joke....)
    *Kneels before Zod* 

Luthor is Superman Villian, but for starters use Brainiac or Metallo..... 
    Like Batman Begins they didnt used the Joker but the used the Scarecrow and Ra´s Al Ghul 

Use a villian related with the origin (like Brainiac) and another tied to Earth (Metallo).... 
    Like Brainiac Building Metallo to erase the last bit of Kryptonian info in the Universe (Yes I´m talking to you Son of Jor-el...)
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Moomin123

I'm glad Nolan is doing Superman, he's great at coming up with plotlines for films, as shown in Dark Knight. I hope that the villain will be someone with real physical strength, like Darkseid or at least Lex Luthor with his Warsuit, not a giant rock of kryptonite. 
    Also, I'd like Nolan to keep Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, he was awesome. And I'd like them to have someone older than Brandon Routh playing Supes, someone at least around Christian Bale's age, so that if they ever do interact, they'll have more in common.
    Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

For real? Wow. Could this also mean Lex and the Joker will team-up as well?

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jamiracles

I sure hope they bring it back to the basics, like when Mario Puzo wrote the script. The first movie really had such a strong cinematic presence...at least the Donnor cut did. But i think everyones a little tired of his origin story now.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jefprice

The actors would have been fine if the film film hadn't been a pile of crap tribute to reeves

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25  Edited By fACEmelter88

I do not care who does it as long as its good. I liked Superman Returns (...except for the super brat) what was not to like? People seem to want less plot/talking/characterization and more mindless fighting...though seeing Supes fight an opponent of equal strength would be awesome i wouldn't sacrifice plot and story for it

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Primmaster64

Give us a real villain no more Lex Luthor!!!!

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mbecks14

they should have Luthor, just make him interesting!!! it's not hard, he's a cool character, just focus on the mad scientist idea. and dont make it just luthor, luthor and parasite or luthor and metallo.

Elefante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Elefante

NOOOOOOLLLLLLAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    awesome!

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Red Rum

I have a list of the 8 villains I want in this movie, in descending order of most wanted to least wanted. Check it out ---> [Link] 

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Red Rum said:
    " I have a list of the 8 villains I want in this movie, in descending order of most wanted to least wanted. Check it out ---> [Link]  "
    I can see maybe Doomsday and Brainiac having a chance of being in a movie. And that only in the sequel. The rest, not a chance.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#31  Edited By Dracade102

O.O 

YEEEEEESSSS!!!!! 

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By reactor

Pure epicness! Brainiac, Doomsday, Zod! There's so much potential (for failure or success) here, I'm scared and excited.

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Gothic Storm

I'll believe this when I actually see a trailer for the movie.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By Nighthunter

Couldn't be more excited

Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By heroic_warrior76

The recent "Superman Movie" getting a Reboot that's great with Director Christopher Nolan as it's new Movie Director that is "Super".

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ahumancartoon

I can't say I'm thrilled to hear this.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Reactor said:
    " Pure epicness! Brainiac, Doomsday, Zod! There's so much potential (for failure or success) here, I'm scared and excited. "
    lol
    Barajasster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Barajasster
    @MysterioMaximus: I would hardly cast TDK as macabre, it was the first comic book movie that was actually like a real movie, not just some popcorn BS that studios make for summer releases.  I love what he did with Batman, I will take his version over Shumakers dancing nippled monstrosity or Tim Burton's stylized perversion any day of the week.  He made Bruce Wayne and Batman complex brooding characters that I was actually interested in.  If he can bring realism and complexity to Superman on the silver screen it will be a masterpiece, the franchise has been lacking since #2 and if anyone can reboot it Nolan is the person.  Plus I actually want action, not watered down subtle allegorical crap that Singer threw up against the wall to see if it would stick.  Give me complex characters, explosions and brooding darkness and I will be happy.
    Casket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Casket
    @MemnochZERO said:

" Yeah if they do keep Routh (and they should), I hope they can keep Spacey too "

Its over, 
    WB doesn't like Diana 
    Catwoman was terrible
    Rasal Ghul blew up, Ledger is dead 
    Singer's movie sucked

Its time for DC/WarnerBros to get their priorities straight

If WB has any sense they will drop this and get more GLs, Flash and Diana out there instead.

Rebooting a corpse of a movie like this is where WB shark jumps

No Caption Provided

WB doesn't deserve the DC brand if they go ahead with this crap
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MKF30

Interesting...I think this is awesome news honestly....I hope they get Welling to play Superman and how sick would it be if Nolan had Bale make a cameo appearance at some point? I like this idea and where it can go.

DP812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By DP812
    @MKF30 said:
    "

Interesting...I think this is awesome news honestly....I hope they get Welling to play Superman and how sick would it be if Nolan had Bale make a cameo appearance at some point? I like this idea and where it can go.

"   
    Please God no, keep Welling away from any Superman movie. Week after week, Welling continues to make me despise one of my favorite characters.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MKF30

No way....Welling is an awesome Superman man, one has the physique(unlike Brandon) and even Christopher Reeve said this about Welling...he had the look, acted perfectly for the role. 

And I'm quite sure Welling has far more fans as Superman as oppose to Brandon....not for nothing. If it bothers you that much then why watch Smallville? I just don't get that logic...he's easily one of the best actors to play Superman as far as I'm concerned.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AtPhantom

Weilling looks like he's still in high school. For that matter, so does Routh. No, if they're rebooting the franchise, they need a completely new Superman.

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MKF30

Welling is actually older then Routh.... just want to point that out.

There's too many new Supermen already, I think if they time it right after Smallville is done, use Welling(maybe ask him to buff up just a little) but he's already bigger then Routh is...and that's that.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AtPhantom
    @MKF30 said:
    "Welling is actually older then Routh.... just want to point that out."
    That's not exactly a fact to his favor. Welling would look ridiculous in the costume. He's still a schoolboy. Maybe he can play Clark in a flashback or something.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MKF30

Well, Superman isn't "a kid" or really "Superboy" I think Brandon and some of these other picks are way too young looking if you ask me, Tom at least looks like he's that in between age(not too young, nor too old) he's around Reeve's age when he played the character give or take so I don't see the problem personally... 

How do we know? I don't think he'd look ridiculous(especially when we haven't really seen him) Brandon's costume looked wayyyy too tight(I know Supes has the tights) but I don't know....I think if they made it a darker blue it could work for Tom, the cape definitely I think would look rad on him. Tom isn't a school boy...he's in his late 20's...lol

Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Emerald Warrior

A superman Reboot is needed... with more villains and NO BRANDON ROUTH!!!

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By Moomin123
    @fACEmelter88 said:
    "I do not care who does it as long as its good. I liked Superman Returns (...except for the super brat) what was not to like? People seem to want less plot/talking/characterization and more mindless fighting...though seeing Supes fight an opponent of equal strength would be awesome i wouldn't sacrifice plot and story for it "

I liked Superman Returns too. Although it wasn't the super-brat that annoyed me, it was Lois Lane! Always dead p****d at Supes and Clark for no reason.

Is it a bird? 
    Is it a plane? 
    No it's the amazing Super-Bitch!!!
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By grimreaper1980

i liked the brainiac and bizzaro ideas they were using in the last attempt at making a superman returns sequel

Avatar image for deathdefyingdevil
    DeathDefyingDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tom Pinchuk:
    that will be cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.